Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane v Swans @ the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    I hope you dont mind me asking Liz - who were the 3?
    Hewett, Papley & Mills

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Just heard a caller on the radio suggest this is a start of the new dynasty at the Swans. Commentators mocked and ridiculed him and advised him its only one game. From my personal viewpoint, we have Kennedy and Franklin and nearing retirement and no one else is close. I believe we could be seeing the start of a new Dynasty and in 2022/23 I believe we will be premiership contenders.
    Far too early to be making such calls, but we all know most commentators rarely rate us - so nothing will ever change in that regard. Only time will tell, but I do hope we look back on Saturday night as a watershed moment - the beginning of the next phase in SMFC/SSFC history
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Mills is not looking like a midfielder.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    I retract!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Far too early to be making such calls, but we all know most commentators rarely rate us - so nothing will ever change in that regard. Only time will tell, but I do hope we look back on Saturday night as a watershed moment - the beginning of the next phase in SMFC/SSFC history
    No if this team is a dynasty then the watershed moment will be threefold

When we signed Warner
    When Kangaroos rejected McDonald
    When we matched the bid on Gulden

Regular in the Side
    The AFL Coaches Association’s AFL Champion Player Award
    Votes for Round 1

10 Callum Mills (SYD)
    7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
    3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    Dayne Zorko (BL)
    1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)

This is not a website that I am familiar with - despite it being called The Swans Blog - and they have produced some player ratings for the weekend's game that look pretty good except I thought a bit harsh on Wicks: Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions, Round 1, 2021 (theswansblog.com).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Just heard a caller on the radio suggest this is a start of the new dynasty at the Swans. Commentators mocked and ridiculed him and advised him its only one game. From my personal viewpoint, we have Kennedy and Franklin and nearing retirement and no one else is close. I believe we could be seeing the start of a new Dynasty and in 2022/23 I believe we will be premiership contenders.
    Dynasties are rare. The only recent AFL dynasties have been Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane. Teams like West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Swans, Port Adelaide and Collingwood have won premierships during this time but cannot be called Dynasties.

The Dynastic teams like the above have GOAT candidate Hall of Fame players like Dustin Martin, Gary Ablett Junior, Joel Selwood, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell Michael Voss and Lance Franklin.

If the Swans of 2021 are starting their Dynasty who are the potential GOAT candidate Hall of Fame players who will grab control of GFs like Dusty or Luke Hodge?

Franklin is Hall of fame but this was largely formed as part of the Hawks Dynasty. The current Swans team feels even with very good footballers but not the Hall of Famers pushing to be the GOAT. Parker, Heeney, Mills are very good footballers but they are not going to be in the GOAT conversation like a Dusty.

Can a team become a Dynasty without GOAT candidates? The Swans team is exciting, very even and youthful but are any players going to push towards Dusty Martin levels where one player does make a difference. On current viewing, I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Votes for Round 1

10 Callum Mills (SYD)
    7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
    3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    Dayne Zorko (BL)
    1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
    3 Swans alumni atop the leaderboard: Mills, Membrey and Mitchell.

Maybe we should have a policy not to trade away Swans with last names starting with "M".

I really enjoyed Tom Hickey's game. It's good to have a proper ruckman again. In the second qtr when the Lions caught up it's interesting to note that Hickey was on the bench. It seems he's going to grab the opportunity to be a first ruck with both hands.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I really enjoyed Tom Hickey's game. It's good to have a proper ruckman again. In the second qtr when the Lions caught up it's interesting to note that Hickey was on the bench. It seems he's going to grab the opportunity to be a first ruck with both hands.
    Having watched the replay, I think I'd have given Tom BOG honours. He was seriously good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Votes for Round 1

10 Callum Mills (SYD)
    7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
    3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    Dayne Zorko (BL)
    1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
    Which is looking good for a rising star nomination for Errol. At a glance, the only other possible nominees in the votes are Flynn and Jiath, with 3 and 1 votes respectively. And I'm not sure about there eligibility?

Regular in the Side
    Hickey had just one single Brownlow point (in 2016) and guess he would have got some reward last Saturday!