Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Umpiring: the good, the bad and the ugly

Very interesting indeed.

I suspect his views in private may be very different to his publicly expressed views.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    I suspect all but Bulldogs supporters will be dissecting all Bulldogs frees tomorrow, and the number of throws that don't get penalised.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Very interesting indeed.

I suspect his views in private may be very different to his publicly expressed views.
    I have a friend who is at the Swans. I deliberately don't ask him about all things inside Swans, as he's a friend, and I don't want to exploit that. So, for example, I have no clue as to our cap, position on contracts, etc.

But the one thing - five years on - he will consistently raise, unprompted, is the umpiring from that grand final. And let's just say, it is a deeply, deeply uncharitable view that I suspect everyone from the coach to the players to the boot studder holds, involves endless cussing and a stunned amazement that the Dogs still get away with their style of play to this day.

If we're playing the Dogs, or they are on a big Friday night game he knows I'll be watching, trust me - he's usually first to fling off the potty-mouthed text about their 'handballs' and free kick counts.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Interesting comment from Barrett this morning:

IF ... the Bulldogs got a very nice run from the umpires in the 2016 finals series, and just ask John Longmire for his thoughts on that year's Grand Final ...
    THEN ... they're off to a flyer again in the 2021 series. Regardless, they absolutely belted the Bombers in Launceston, and looked to have returned to being the Dogs of rounds one to 20.
    And it's not the first time he has referenced the 2016 Grand Final in his Sliding Doors pieces. He obviously believes we were well and truly shafted in that game.

The Bulldogs were too good for Essendon last week but the 4 goals Weightman got from free kicks were astounding. I could see how one was possibly a free - the other 3 were laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I have a friend who is at the Swans. I deliberately don't ask him about all things inside Swans, as he's a friend, and I don't want to exploit that. So, for example, I have no clue as to our cap, position on contracts, etc.

But the one thing - five years on - he will consistently raise, unprompted, is the umpiring from that grand final. And let's just say, it is a deeply, deeply uncharitable view that I suspect everyone from the coach to the players to the boot studder holds, involves endless cussing and a stunned amazement that the Dogs still get away with their style of play to this day.

If we're playing the Dogs, or they are on a big Friday night game he knows I'll be watching, trust me - he's usually first to fling off the potty-mouthed text about their 'handballs' and free kick counts.
    Wow, I had no idea!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    A friend of mine is an Essendon supporter and I was reading his posts on FB after the game on the weekend. There were plenty of comments and agreement that Foostcray get a charitable/unbelievable run with freekicks from the umpires.

So it isn't just us, that has problems when playing them.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    A friend of mine is an Essendon supporter and I was reading his posts on FB after the game on the weekend. There were plenty of comments and agreement that Foostcray get a charitable/unbelievable run with freekicks from the umpires.

So it isn't just us, that has problems when playing them.
    I find injector fans a little hard to take seriously at times because they see almost everyone in the whole wide world is 'out there to get them'. But on this one they are spot on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

You fancy it may all boil over at some stage if we were to meet them again in a big final - watch out for serious fireworks should that happen in the next couple of years or so.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We've had plenty of chances to even up, and done nothing.
    Bulldogs are just a team to avoid in finals. I thought wed be safe this year as they were on the other side of the draw, with the only possible meeting being the GF...and fellow umpire darlings Essendon would beat them.

Even essendons umpire love was not powerful enough.

If you want your head to explode with rage then I can heartily recommend this article from the Mongrel Punt.

The Alex Docherty Column - "Free Kick Bulldogs" is a Myth - The Mongrel Punt

Written by a dogs supporter no less.

If you want your head to explode with rage then I can heartily recommend this article from the Mongrel Punt.

The Alex Docherty Column - "Free Kick Bulldogs" is a Myth - The Mongrel Punt

Written by a dogs supporter no less.
    I just laughed when I read that earlier today.

The Mongrel Punt has a great variety of material, and one of the best footy websites out there. But letting a resident fairypup fan write about free kick Bulldogs is not going to win you too many friends in the broader footy community haha!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I just laughed when I read that earlier today.

The Mongrel Punt has a great variety of material, and one of the best footy websites out there. But letting a resident fairypup fan write about free kick Bulldogs is not going to win you too many friends in the broader footy community haha!
    It was this that got my blood boiling: “The Bulldogs’ 2016 premiership was based on a handball-happy style of movement and that drew the ire of many people … There are still Sydney fans still on their high horse about the game itself, and like many other games before that one, it had poor decisions go both ways.”

It was this that got my blood boiling: “The Bulldogs’ 2016 premiership was based on a handball-happy style of movement and that drew the ire of many people … There are still Sydney fans still on their high horse about the game itself, and like many other games before that one, it had poor decisions go both ways.”
    If nothing else, the fairypuppies will always try and convince that somehow they are 'hard done by' lol!

I'm not sure in any universe that these 2 conditions can co-exist at the same time.
    1) A game had 'poor decisions both ways': but
    2) One team was so disciplined, so good, so amazing, that they didn't concede a free kick in 3 quarters of footy.

And that's before one takes into account the nature of the contest on that day.
    Last edited by mcs; 8th September 2021 at 09:20 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast