Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Swans v Demons.

Veterans List
    I was at the game and but for a couple of critical fumbles we could have won. I had a great view and Melbourne we very good at clogging up the area 30 metres from our goal. I think our forwards worked very hard at keeping the ball in our forward line. Not enough credit given to our backline who played with great desperation.

Just a point with Errol; there were a couple of times where he didn't pick up cleanly and it looked to me he was waiting for body contact to play for a free.

We had a lot of the play in the last quarter and just couldn't get that little bit of luck to go our way. At the game the umpiring didn't look too bad but then again sometimes at the game you can't pick some those holds on players as mentioned in previous posts.

That was a tough hard game of footy and we just kept coming.

I bet Melbourne supporters are whingeing just as much as Swans supporters, because at the game when a Swans got a finger nail on the footy it was, "ball".

That was a top of the table game and as others have said we are on the way.

On Chad Warner; he is a genuine gun but the stats only give him 9 kicks and 6 handballs. Could it be that Mills gets some of his stats. I just love Chads desperation and he has a super tank.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    On Colin and Braeden:
    - Braeden offers a better kick, ambition, counterpunch run. Probably not as strong, sure.
    I think Colin is better defensively at the moment. And while Campbell possesses a powerful kick, he's still learning how and when to use it. In last week's VFL game he was guilty of trying to kick it as far and hard as he could at every opportunity, irrespective of what was in front of him. He'll soon learn it's a weapon to use judiciously, and that "great AFL kicks" have a variety of tools in their kit bag.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

On Chad Warner; he is a genuine gun but the stats only give him 9 kicks and 6 handballs. Could it be that Mills gets some of his stats. I just love Chads desperation and he has a super tank.
    I'd be surprised if Mills were being credited with Warner possessions.

I'm a little surprised he got that few because he seemed to be in the thick of the action. I reckon he had a lot of touches - knock ons - that don't receive credit in the stats. One of the things I like about him is that he stays in the contest when either he initially fumbles, or a team mate's disposal goes astray.

Interestingly despite us playing three players coming off injuries, young ones supposedly needing rest, and the game played in greasy conditions we used only 65 interchanges. Seems like a low number

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    On Colin and Braeden:
    - Braeden offers a better kick, ambition, counterpunch run. Probably not as strong, sure.
    - unless we think it’s detrimental to play Braeden, his development is a comparative priority.

Warner is already our most powerful midfield runner. Nearest competition is Florent, but the latter is more evasive. Chad is power - in the hips, with speed, takes initiative. He’s going to be frighteningly good.
    I really like Florent but I agree. Warner may very well win a Brownlow - he is going to be a champ.

EDIT

I guess I should say I think he is going to be better than Campbell, Gudlen and McDonald - which is a very good thing if I am correct.
    Last edited by Foreign Legion; 9th May 2021 at 01:58 AM.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by COB View Post
    Sick of people criticising the umps. It is a near impossible job. They don't get replays, have to see through a mass of bodies and often have to make subjective decisions re prior opportunity, genuine attempt to dispose of the ball, control of the ball in a mark, realistic attempt at a mark, distance run, distance ball travelled etc
    If you can't see through the mass of bodies then don't make a call. One of my pet hatreds of umpires is the fact that they seem to believe that, like Clark Kent, they have x-ray vision and know exactly what was happening through an impenetrable sea of bodies. if you can't see it, don't pay it. It's pretty effing simple.

- - - Updated - - -

+1
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    If you can't see through the mass of bodies then don't make a call. One of my pet hatreds of umpires is the fact that they seem to believe that, like Clark Kent, they have x-ray vision and know exactly what was happening through an impenetrable sea of bodies. if you can't see it, don't pay it. It's pretty effing simple.
    Spot on.

Veteran Site Admin
    What umpiring decisions in this game are upsetting people?

Senior Player
    I will go Liz

I reckon there were a lot of holding the ball decisions - especially early. Throws are getting REALLY bad imho
    Last edited by Foreign Legion; 9th May 2021 at 03:57 AM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Mids smashed but all things considered it went as well as we could hope short of getting the win. Our midfield mix needs to be Jpk, Parker, Mills and Warner. Forget Florent. I think hes a good player but hes not an inside mids A hole. Better in space where he can use his toe. Very damaging player. Him on one wing, Jmac on the other - Mills and Chad our next gen bulls and captain&vice captain. By the time Kennedy is retired we would hope Gulden or Campbell or Stephens will be in there ??

Too many average footballers out there cost us tonight but all gave extraordinary effort. We have ways to go until we have a 22 of all quality players. One week at a time.

Suspended by the MRP
    & i dont think much of him as a player but Rowbottom was crunched and came away winded clutching his ribs , then there was a pause in play and that rat Oliver went out of his way to charge at Rowbottom off the ball and to get at his ribs as he's @@@@@@@ obviously sore and clutching them ! Filthy , did anyone at the game see this it was clear as day on tellie and not a commentator or umpire did a thing about it !

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What umpiring decisions in this game are upsetting people?
    I'll bite. Number 1 is tackles followed by incorrect disposal without being rewarded. The interpretation seems to have changed completely.

Some examples...

Just after Sinclair dropped his sitter, Melbourne player clearly has prior opprtunity, tackled and goes to ground HTB but not rewarded (around 4:45 to go) there are a sequence of head scratchers around that period. 5:02 to go Warner tackled high, no free (was it advantage?),

Last qtr 5:28 to go free against dawson. Melbourne player threw head back. There was nothing there.

15:01 mark final qtr swan driven into ground no free. At another time same event in reverse with free paid against.

I could go on.

Having said that there are examples the other way. Also we didn't lose because of the umpiring. Clayton Oliver was a beast and McDonald was really good. I'm amazed we got a close as we did.