Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 15 v Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I would consider moving Mills back into the back line. We are clearly missing something back there. His reading of the play and stability are sorely missed. It's no coincidence that the back line fragility has happened since he has gone into the midfield.
    Play a tall instead of Harry in defence then Rampe can do the Mills role

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Play a tall instead of Harry in defence then Rampe can do the Mills role
    Harry plays on the best small fwd. He’s the new Nick Smith.

I think the new rules have exposed our undersized back line as much as anything.

Reid (if fit) --> McDonald
    Blakey --> Cunningham (if inj)
    Ronke --> Wicks (suspended)
    Brand --> Fox
    Warner --> Bell
    Stephens (sub) --> Taylor (sub)
    Note: Blakey as preferred sub over Stephens if Cunningham is fit.

Melican, Gulden and Campbell to make their way back via the VFL.

Noticed Allir turned the ball over several times whilst made accountable playing on Cameron instead of as loose intercept defender. Hope we force the same with either Buddy or Reid/McDonald.
    Last edited by KSAS; 15th June 2021 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I would consider moving Mills back into the back line. We are clearly missing something back there. His reading of the play and stability are sorely missed. It's no coincidence that the back line fragility has happened since he has gone into the midfield.
    I'd rather bring Tom Derickx out of retirement.

The fragility of our back line coincides with Hewett becoming a defender, not moving Mills to the midfield. The problem is more with lack of coverage for tall forwards as well as the recent form of McCartin.

We need to free up Rampe, who is the best at reading the play. But now he's been tied down in Samson and Goliath marking contests.

I am looking forward to seeing what a rested Hickey can produce after the bye! He looked off his game ever so slightly against the dawks and didn't it effect our midfield!! I do worry what will happen if Port's midfield gets on top of ours. I didn't watch all of their game last week but i saw enough to know they can score fast and heavy from centre breaks, so our midfield will need to be on the top of their game!!

Gulden and Warner coming back will certainly help!! They've been our two "match winners" in the middle of the ground this year - Errol with his wonderful ball use and delivery to forward 50, and Chad with his brilliant line breaking! Though our midfield has some fabulous players in it it does feel like it lacks those match winning type of talents!

But no pressure on the kids hehe

Last weekend, we fielded our 2020 team, and played like 2020.
    Need to get back to the high energy youth of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Last weekend, we fielded our 2020 team, and played like 2020.
    Need to get back to the high energy youth of 2021.
    Not quite, but pretty close. We have to bring Brand in as our defence is probably the shortest in the league. I’d be tempted to move Lloyd to the wing and bring COR to HB. He needs a few games now so we can decide his future.

Re: McLean: is it worth trying him down back, a bit like Reid? He is a pretty good mark and may help to regain his confidence. Could try this in the 2’s first though.

Whoever played in Round 1 can play this week.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

We are now at a stage where we have to question the loss of Aliir to Port Adelaide. Could we have somehow retained him? If we would have been able to bring in Hickey and Keep Aliir - we would absolutely top 4 bound given our favourable draft. Nevertheless you have to give something to get something.

Bring in Brand. I don’t understand as to why he is not liked by the coaches. I thought he played well last time. And he kicks well.

Are we now changing our method of going forward ? Is that the reason why we are exposed in the middle. We were turning the opposition ball over in the corridor at the start of the year and now the corridor is left open for the opposition to exploit. I would like to see some urgency by players to move and cover the corridor. Otherwise the next three weeks we would be absolutely spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    We are now at a stage where we have to question the loss of Aliir to Port Adelaide. Could we have somehow retained him? If we would have been able to bring in Hickey and Keep Aliir - we would absolutely top 4 bound given our favourable draft. Nevertheless you have to give something to get something.

Bring in Brand. I don’t understand as to why he is not liked by the coaches. I thought he played well last time. And he kicks well.

Are we now changing our method of going forward ? Is that the reason why we are exposed in the middle. We were turning the opposition ball over in the corridor at the start of the year and now the corridor is left open for the opposition to exploit. I would like to see some urgency by players to move and cover the corridor. Otherwise the next three weeks we would be absolutely spanked.
    AA was struggling to get a game last year. Whether it was lockdown, coaching, a change of scenery or different role, he’s a much better player in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    AA was struggling to get a game last year. Whether it was lockdown, coaching, a change of scenery or different role, he’s a much better player in 2021.
    Rampe similar to Alir are wasted as lockdown defenders, they need to be able to roam.

If we play Brand,Melican and mccartin who are all mobile for their size it frees up Ramps and Dawson to intercept and cover Lloyd who is a defender by name only

Also if Ramps was the 4th tall, Heeney and Reid would never have to flood bakc to save a laye score in a quarter

2016 Rampe was All Australian as a small defender, playing alongside Grundy, Laidler, Alir, Lloyd, Mills, X Richards, Mcveigh and Mills

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast