Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread: Swans v Demons.

Papley is turning into a player I don’t admire:

- Always staging for free kicks
    - Abusing umpires and giving away a 50.
    - Not using teammates when they are in better position.
    - On a performance level he is dropping marking opportunities and fumbling the ball.

Maybe it’s time to trade him out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Umpiring - the hardest position in the game.

The thing that surprises me is that you almost never see someone get pinged for throwing the ball. It looks like a quiet change of the rule. Not that I mind it - the game goes more quickly - but it should be official.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Great effort, though we didn't get the win. It was a good effort to get within nine points of the side I consider to be the premiership favourites.

Some positives:
    * A nine-point margin is closer to the rampant Demons than any other side has come this year so far.
    * We won the last quarter (by one point). Melbourne has won every other last quarter this year. We were the first side to go with them for the whole game.
    * We got no injuries in the game so far as I can tell.
    Spot on. A great effort, and a little more polish inside 50 would have seen a different result. Buddy looked very rusty, but neither the conditions nor the fact that May is in career-best form helped. I recall May doing a good job on him playing for the Suns.
    Hayward does my head in; capable of winning the ball brilliantly, a second later he turns it straight over. The 11 point turn-around after he missed that shot proved really costly. It stopped our momentum, and gave it to the Demons.
    Nevertheless, this is a team on the right track. Never gave it up for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Umpiring - the hardest position in the game.

The thing that surprises me is that you almost never see someone get pinged for throwing the ball. It looks like a quiet change of the rule.
    Still talking about umpiring. Time for the coaches DRS challenge to come in.

Veterans List
    But I reckon Paps will have a sore nights sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

- On a performance level he is dropping marking opportunities and fumbling the ball.

Oh dear.....another agitator? Seriously BS, that is a strange, strange thing to say. It's BS.

You are joking surely???
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

There is pretty much a crazy post a week I reckon - this one wins this week

Still talking about umpiring. Time for the coaches DRS challenge to come in.
    Mamma Mia, here we go again.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Umpiring is just crap in general I think!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Agree with This 100% !! those of us who’ve been watching this game for over 50 years have seen the decline in umpiring over that time. And after paying $400 for a ticket to the GF in 2016 and witnessing the diabolical umpiring on display that day - I’m going to complain about umpiring if I bloody well feel like it.
    No denying that we got a bad deal in 2016 gf and that umpiring probably is worse than 50 years ago but it is also a MUCH harder game to umpire plus their weren't 6 million camera angles and replays to reveal whether a decision was correct or not. Give it a go at a decent level of footy with the crowd roaring before you go to hard at them. Agree with MCS that umps need more support and maybe should go full-time.

Why does sinclair go for marks one handed, in the rain?

Veteran Site Admin
    I didn't think there was much wrong with the umpiring - at least in terms of it being biased. It was a lot better than some other games this year. I'd probably have paid McLean one or both of his very close "contested marks" but I guess that's with one eye shut.

At half-time I feared we were going to be beaten convincingly. We seemed a bit timid, too respectful of the Demons in that second quarter. But excellent second half lift by our midfielders, especially.

I thought the defence played well at ground level but clearly we lost it in the air at the back. Our forward line was well-blanketed by the Dees' defence, so that's something to work on.

Given we are still in a learning / development phase, that wasn't too bad an outcome. But when I say learning/development, that's a short term thing. I hope they can made considerable strides within this season. Remember we were hardly playing premiership football at the midway point of 2005. That's not to say I'm expecting a premiership this year but I think we've shown that we didn't just get an early break on less prepared teams at the start of the year. We can grind it out with the best. We just need to work on that polish, and hope our younger mids gradually gain more confidence in their ability as the season wears on.

Veterans List
    The radio said that Rowbottom limped off the ground towards the end of the game after he was caught holding the ball. They mentioned his knee because of the strapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    You are joking surely???
    I’m sorry. I don’t like it when players abuse umpires and give away
    50s.

This happened didn’t it?