Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 vs Collingwood.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes, but also Wicks out and McDonald in. Good shout on Fox providing to ruck chop out.
    I'd be happy to see McDonald come back in too but I think it would be for Hayward rather than Wicks purely from a role perspective.

De Goey is their most effective forward and Hewitt must be a strong chance to do his tagger negating role.

Moore is their most effective back, and our recent form says a tagging negating role works there too. McDonald might the appropriate size and mobility for that role this week.

I wouldn't be dropping either Wicks or Hayward. Wicks is our best pressure forward and Hayward's pressure has taken another step up this year. Both are good goal kicks.

I also wouldn't be dropping O'Riordan. In each or the past 2 seasons he improved with just about every game, until the point where no one was thinking of dropping him from the side. He's playing okay now after just 2 games this year and only 25 in total. In combo with Fox and Cunningham, our small defenders shut out Melbourne. It was our key defence that let us down.

Early thoughts on changes:

In: Heeney, Blakey
    Out: Sinclair, Gulden

Some consideration should be given to bringing Brand into the side if Cox comes into the Collingwood side, as we could get exposed for height defence yet again. Even Cameron is a threat, kicking 3 goals last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    De Goey is their most effective forward and Hewitt must be a strong chance to do his tagger negating role.

Moore is their most effective back, and our recent form says a tagging negating role works there too. McDonald might the appropriate size and mobility for that role this week.
    De Goey would be too quick on the lead for Hewitt. Rampe will get that job and will towel him up. McCartin will go to Cameron/Cox (whoever plays) and Fox will take Mihocek I would think. Cunningham to take the most dangerous small forward (Daicos when he is playing there). Dawson to play more of an intercepting rebounder.

Some key match ups:
    - Wicks to Quaynor
    - Hayward to Moore
    - Rampe to De Goey
    - Fox to Mihocek
    - Cunningham to Thomas
    - Rowbottom to Daicos or Steele at contests

We can really stretch them in our forward half with their defence depleted. We may be too tall if we have McDonald come in as well - would probably play Hayward over him this week, and bring McDonald in for the big Perth oval the week after.

Sinclair for Heeney the only definite change. Then it's down to whether one of Wicks, Gulden or Jmac need a rest for Blakey. He's ahead of Stephens for me - who's on the McVeigh career arc, learning to impact a game beyond just elite endurance. He'll get there, he'll just take time.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't be dropping either Wicks or Hayward. Wicks is our best pressure forward and Hayward's pressure has taken another step up this year. Both are good goal kicks.

I also wouldn't be dropping O'Riordan. In each or the past 2 seasons he improved with just about every game, until the point where no one was thinking of dropping him from the side. He's playing okay now after just 2 games this year and only 25 in total. In combo with Fox and Cunningham, our small defenders shut out Melbourne. It was our key defence that let us down.

Some consideration should be given to bringing Brand into the side if Cox comes into the Collingwood side, as we could get exposed for height defence yet again. Even Cameron is a threat, kicking 3 goals last week.
    I thought COR did some useful things last week and I would also persist with him. Though the last 2 weeks have been brutal games and I am not adverse to have 4 to 5 changes this week.

Senior Player

I disagree pretty strongly with both contentions in this statement: "in each or the past 2 seasons he improved with just about every game, until the point where no one was thinking of dropping him from the side".

He was good in 2019, but was ordinary last year and couldn't hold his spot in two runs at it - dropped after rounds 7 and 15. He hasn't shown improvement in his two games this year.

I think his under-pressure decision-making is poor, and he hasn't offered the run or terrier defence he looked capable of in 2019. As for shutting out Melbourne, check out his bad missed tackle on McDonald which resulted in his goal at the start of the third on Saturday.

I know I've banged on a bit about this, and I don't mean to pick on Colin, who of course seems a good bloke. But I just don't see it and reckon it's preferable to invest in Campbell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Some key match ups:
    - Wicks to Quaynor
    - Hayward to Moore
    - Rampe to De Goey
    - Fox to Mihocek
    - Cunningham to Thomas
    - Rowbottom to Daicos or Steele at contests

We can really stretch them in our forward half with their defence depleted. We may be too tall if we have McDonald come in as well - would probably play Hayward over him this week, and bring McDonald in for the big Perth oval the week after.

Sinclair for Heeney the only definite change. Then it's down to whether one of Wicks, Gulden or Jmac need a rest for Blakey. He's ahead of Stephens for me - who's on the McVeigh career arc, learning to impact a game beyond just elite endurance. He'll get there, he'll just take time.
    Surely Moore will go to Franklin.

In: Heeney
    Out: Sinclair

I dont see many changes for this game. Apparently no fresh injuries from the Dee's game and our overall performance was OK. Obviously Henney comes in if he is fully fit. Sinclair may be dropped if they think Hickey can ruck for more minutes despite his injury. So it could be as simple as Heeney in and Sinclair out. That might be OK as our forward set-up looked to be too top heavy last game.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I disagree pretty strongly with both contentions in this statement: "in each or the past 2 seasons he improved with just about every game, until the point where no one was thinking of dropping him from the side".

He was good in 2019, but was ordinary last year and couldn't hold his spot in two runs at it - dropped after rounds 7 and 15. He hasn't shown improvement in his two games this year.

I think his under-pressure decision-making is poor, and he hasn't offered the run or terrier defence he looked capable of in 2019. As for shutting out Melbourne, check out his bad missed tackle on McDonald which resulted in his goal at the start of the third on Saturday.

I know I've banged on a bit about this, and I don't mean to pick on Colin, who of course seems a good bloke. But I just don't see it and reckon it's preferable to invest in Campbell.
    Fair enough. I think I've conflated 2019 and 2020. I remember Colin got injured last year, but forgot that he got dropped a couple times as well. I find it hard to remember much detail from last season, it was such a mess.

Colin makes a few mistakes in games, but in line with his senior game experience. There are a lot of things that I like about what he brings to the table. He has a balanced, yet diverse set of skills, including a variety of well-executed kicks on both sides.

I like to give players a fair run at showing they belong at senior level, as long as their inclusion in the side is not detrimental and they show improvement and the capability of reaching a high level. I feel this to be the case with Colin. I would like to give him a run of games if he can meet these criteria. I don't think his inclusion has hurt the team.

Because our depth is so good, I feel that dropping Colin would be a serious setback to his career as a Swan, and could result in the loss of talent to the club.

Senior Player
    Fair enough. I think I've conflated 2019 and 2020. I remember Colin got injured last year, but forgot that he got dropped a couple times as well. I find it hard to remember much detail from last season, it was such a mess.

Colin makes a few mistakes in games, but in line with his senior game experience. There are a lot of things that I like about what he brings to the table. He has a balanced, yet diverse set of skills, including a variety of well-executed kicks on both sides.

I like to give players a fair run at showing they belong at senior level, as long as their inclusion in the side is not detrimental and they show improvement and the capability of reaching a high level. I feel this to be the case with Colin. I would like to give him a run of games if he can meet these criteria. I don't think his inclusion has hurt the team.

Because our depth is so good, I feel that dropping Colin would be a serious setback to his career as a Swan, and could result in the loss of talent to the club.
    I agree with those points in principle; where I differ is in their application to the facts. I think Colin has had sufficient opportunity. But anyway - if given another this week, let's hope he takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    In: Heeney
    Out: Sinclair
    yes

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast