Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 AFL National Draft and Rookie Draft 28 & 29 November 2022

Does Corey Wagner have a good haircut though?

Lol

It's possible that part of the thinking is that recruiting players from wuwal and wegional and wemote areas minimises the go-home factor.

It would be cool to check out the Swans matrix of attributes / requirements for drafting players and no doubt the go home factor is seriously weighted in the comparison of candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    It would be cool to check out the Swans matrix of attributes / requirements for drafting players and no doubt the go home factor is seriously weighted in the comparison of candidates
    We only take players from flooded out regions, so they don't have homes to go home to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's the inside story of the draft:

Our covid violation fines depleted our soft cap. The list management team could only afford 1 field trip. They drove out to Country Victory, watched a game between the Gippsland Power and Murray Bushrangers, drew up our draft list, and drove home.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

We could have drafted:

Harry Barnett
    Lachie Cowan, and
    Isaac Keeler

A lot of folks on here would have been real happy about that, but KB knows better. We will see.

Wouldn't it be terrible to find out next year that KB is suffering from Mad Cow's Disease. At least it might explain a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I can't believe we didn't take Weddle or at least Allan with pick 18. So much for taking the next best player! I have nothing against Konstanty but seems like we will have a continuation of Rampe and Fox with a bit of help from Errol looking after the Hawkins and Kings etc. for another couple of years. Perhaps we are expecting Francis or Gould to take over, and there's always Melican. Or is there a young Academy player who has similar talent and attributes to Weddle?
    Aaron Francis says hi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    RWO is celebrating sabotage and spite, not the quality players we should have drafted with picks 14 and 17. Sigh.
    No, we're celebrating having a list management team with a long term view and a clear strategy. If they thought there was a steal at pick 14, they'd have grabbed him.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Alrighty.
    In the words of the great song writer Nick Cave "So you want to know how to write a great song? Answer = Counterpoint!! Take two oppositional forces and let the sparks fly !!!"

Apologies i could not resist the theatre of saying we recruited another Sam Wicks with our first draft pick last night lol. Flammable on a high stakes poker draft night lol.

So...... did we get it right or did we get it wrong ?????

For me I assess the player we draft with a first pick vs other options that i sense could be ten year player......yes waddle allen etc could be....but u could easily argue just as hard that Konstanty will be if not more so. I realise for some that it didn't feel right last night "probably because he was described as a defensive small".......but if we can obtain a decent next player at 27 we never would have got Konstanty. If we achieve that tonight we are winning massively hands down.

So is Konstanty straight out a ten year player? You could argue yes. His "runway" as the Americans like to say ie latent capacity is a 9.9 out of 10 as a new comer to footy. He influences a game probably more so than the other options that we had true options for last night.

He is a VC already and a leader and as a newbie great effort. As we saw with Guldens influence on a game and we see with Tom Pap ......these guys upfront are game changers and Konstanty doesn't need to play as a defensive small. That maybe part of his role in his first 12months but as we saw with Gulden they can be so much more immediately and the next 9 of 10 years could be a true Paps type role as we know it now.

Vs

Did we just increase our scoreboard hurt factor which will be critical to be a top4 team in 2023....yes I think we did vs any other options available to us in an around lat teen picks.

Vs

Have we stacked our trades and draftees to provide the greatest probability of success when in a window for a GF? Vs say a Geelong and their trades and amazing Jye Clark draftee.......NO not even close overall and draft night is still part of this puzzle.

Vs

Does this player potentially free up another key player to take on a more advanced important role in our 22 and make our best 22 in 2023 even better? Yes Gulden and Paps even more game time thru the middle forward rotation and a cover if needed when injury strikes key play makers.

Vs

As we all noted immediately on this thread we appear to be stacking the 2023 seaeon for points and or trade options. Another massive tick in flexibility in this draft and or next for bettering our squad in 2023 and beyond.

I think I'll stop there lol
    We're playing to keep our window open for years.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I gotta say this was a pretty underwhelming draft for me this year.

I always look forward to these nights each year and do a fair amount of research on a lot of the players by reading all the profiles, phantoms, watching U18 games and highlights videos etc.

Last year I was happy with the Roberts pick as he was a highly rated slider.

This year while happy enough with the Konstanty selection as I think he's gonna be a really good player, I wanted a couple of others more with that pick.

The other 2 boys we've drafted I hadn't watched or even read about TBH which added to the underwhelment for me.

They both remind me a bit of Matt Ling so hopefully they have a lot more luck than he did and both have successful careers in the red and white!

Time will tell...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Really pisses me off that the Fox Footy and Melb media are making the Swans out as spoilers and upsetting the Draft and teams. This is war and at the end of the day, you are in the "winning" game, not playing tiddliwinks!!! Proof of our draft strategy will be measured by our win column and premierships, not being "nice guys"

Senior Player
    Caleb Mitchell at 187 cm is the tallest player we've taken in the past 2 national drafts (7 picks). Whatever KB say, we must be satisfied with our KPP stocks, if we see what he does and not what he says.

I saw the KB interview with Sarah Ollie. What I like about Beatson is that he's just as arrogant as Ludwig. He doesn't care what he does. He just wants to be different.

BTW, Mitchell is another left footer.
    Agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I wish I could resist the urge to follow the draft. It's really a waste of time. You just have to celebrate whoever comes in and wait a few years to judge them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - you're right. Three Vic Country players.
    The conclusion I've reached.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the inside story of the draft:

Our covid violation fines depleted our soft cap. The list management team could only afford 1 field trip. They drove out to Country Victory, watched a game between the Gippsland Power and Murray Bushrangers, drew up our draft list, and drove home.

We've recruited Caleb Mitchell of the Murray Bushrangers with pick 40 of the 2022 NAB AFL Draft.

Well respected for his two-way running, the dynamic wingman enjoyed a stellar 2022 season for the Murray Bushrangers that saw him play 10 games in the NAB League.

Arguably his best performance came against Gippsland, the club of previous two draftees Jacob Konstanty and Cooper Vickery, that saw amass 31 disposals and two goals.

2022 NAB AFL Draft: Pick 40, Caleb Mitchell
    LOL

- - - Updated - - -

We could have drafted:

Harry Barnett
    Lachie Cowan, and
    Isaac Keeler

A lot of folks on here would have been real happy about that, but KB knows better. We will see.

Wouldn't it be terrible to find out next year that KB is suffering from Mad Cow's Disease. At least it might explain a few things.
    And again: laughed twice.

Senior Player
    Ok, mad cows aside, an attempt at logic.

Our KPD stocks are actually pretty good and mostly young: Rampe, McCartins, Fox, Francis, Gould. It's hard to see an obvious vacancy.

Ruck. Well. We ostensibly for have two first teamers, although both flawed. Maybe we would have chosen Barnett at 27, but preferred Konstanty at 20. So be it.

Inside mids: we just drafted Sheldrick and Roberts. Warner is young. Gulden potentially.

Vickery, as someone mentioned, is that small, accountable rebounder to do an apprenticeship under Lloyd.

Looks total Lloyd clone per video and this:

'Cooper Vickery has enjoyed a consistent year at NAB League level for Gippsland Power, where he became a reliable ball user out of the defensive half and running down the ground. His transitional running from the back 50 and then rotating onto a wing allowed him to find plenty of the ball, and his metres gained were always high. ...

Often found coming out of half-back, Vickery is a player who will look for the one-two be it via hand or short kick, and that allowed him to set his side up in transition.' Cooper Vickery Draft Profile - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central (formerly AFL Draft Central).

Geez.

Mitchell is interesting, given Stephens and McInerney seem to be our wings. It might be a best available deal. Impressed with his clips. He's tall. Reminds me of Maxfield with that hard running and booming left, flowing blonde locks trailing. Short odds Longmire will describe him as someone who 'plays with real power' in his first interview re the draftees. I like him already.