Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Round 9 vs Bombers @ SCG - match thread

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    If there are no mitigating circumstances.....like the push RB received to make his 'contact' more awkward and severe.
    Yes, absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Maybe this week Bell moves to the midfield to replace James.
    I agree with TB that he deserves a crack in his preferred position but I think the selection panel will keep him in his current role given this is a critical game and not a time to tinker.
    Where does it say that midfield is Bell's preferred position? It might be, because they all say they want to play in the midfield. But when do the players, especially young players, get to choose where they play. Someone like Bell would be happy to play any position in the senior side. I don't think he deserves a crack in the midfield, nor would I mind if he had a few stints in there.

Everyone wants Bell to make it. He seems a likable character and a favourite of the players. I hope he puts on a good show for indigenous round. All that said, we have several other players who are putting up more consistent performances int he VFL who have not been given a chance to crack the senior team. There must be a strong belief in the coaching ranks that feel he can reach a much higher level of play. I trust their judgment, for now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I’m not surprised he failed to get off.

But a side note: if you wanna know one of the reasons he keeps getting picked, he stumbled into the contest at the last minute, was probably subconsciously thrown by the incident, and sprawling on the ground, but got straight back up and pinged Dylan Shiel in another tackle before it was clear the whistle had blown.

His love of the contest and relentless application is unconditional. Longmire would totally dig that about him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where does it say that midfield is Bell's preferred position? It might be, because they all say they want to play in the midfield. But when do the players, especially young players, get to choose where they play.
    For gods sake , sorry this is awful .

Bells preferred position might be the one where he gets 30 touches every time he plays it , instead of the one where hes lucky to get 10 ! Fair enough if you dont think hes good enough to overtake any of our current mids but to say that it wouldnt be his best position is silly , its where all his best footy thats ever got him selected in the 22 has been . Cmon, you are better and smarter than this .

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I think the decision on RB was wrong, but so be it. It was such a marginal decision the tribunal should have given the benefit of the doubt to RB, especially when you see how Tom Lynch gets off with a clear intentional elbow to the head. You really have to wonder what's going on with these cases.

It's tough losing our best player, but we have a healthy list and several good players who can come in and get a chance to show what they can do.
    Yep. It's amazing how only perennially dirty players like Lynch and Greene seem to have the raised elbow as a "natural" part of the gather and fend off. Everyone else somehow seems to be able to avoid doing it. The fact that the AFL tolerates (and thereby implicitly condones) this absolute crap is a disgrace.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Where does it say that midfield is Bell's preferred position? It might be, because they all say they want to play in the midfield. But when do the players, especially young players, get to choose where they play. Someone like Bell would be happy to play any position in the senior side. I don't think he deserves a crack in the midfield, nor would I mind if he had a few stints in there.

Everyone wants Bell to make it. He seems a likable character and a favourite of the players. I hope he puts on a good show for indigenous round. All that said, we have several other players who are putting up more consistent performances int he VFL who have not been given a chance to crack the senior team. There must be a strong belief in the coaching ranks that feel he can reach a much higher level of play. I trust their judgment, for now.
    Well he was drafted as an inside mid and played a lot of underage football in that position. So that would lead me to think it was his preferred position.
    On the Swans site his bio reads in part
    “The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward” so the club acknowledges this as well.
    Clubs regularly try positional switches for players with a view to taking advantage of a skill set they have identified and the Swans have had great success in doing so and our backline this year is a great example.
    Usually however the players do get a chance to play in the position that lead to them being drafted before being repurposed if necessary. This hasn’t happened in the case of JB at senior level so it’s pretty harsh to reject the idea without any evidence available to evaluate his ability to take on the role.
    Having said that I agree I am sure he is willing to undertake a role for the club and is happy just to be picked.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Are you serious? Every player who runs out on the ground is in some form of physical danger. The players are competitors and want to beat their opponent each week. The best form of beating them is on the scoreboard. There is no way our strongest competitor, and his coach, would allow him to be managed for that game.
    I hope that in the history of the game, no match committee has considered whether the fact that the upcoming game might be a bit tough fora particular player has entered into their calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I hope that in the history of the game, no match committee has considered whether the fact that the upcoming game might be a bit tough fora particular player has entered into their calculations.
    Ok. The Melbourne Football media are in a frenzy about Parker. The Dons are being crucified for not physically standing up to him after his taunting of Sheil.

What’s going to happen when the Dons next play the Swans?

Parker will be targeted. Sure, he can physically handle it, but it doesn’t take much for an attempted bump to damage a cheek bone or cause a concussion.

The other Swans then start flying the flag and a couple get cited by the match review committee and some suspensions are allocated.

This then impacts a couple of games after the Essendon game.

Yep, no one thinks that these potential negative outcomes shouldn’t be factored in.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Appeal rejected

https://mobile.twitter.com/foxfooty/...367872/photo/1

Tribunal chairman's reasoning for decision:

A player can bump with a front-on action such as occurred here. While we accept the player who does no more than brace for contact does not engage in the bumping of an opponent, that is not what occurred here.

We're satisfied there was high contact here.

We're not satisfied that any contact from player Mills was such as to constitute circumstances outside Rowbottom's control.

The force of impact was considerable and had the potential to cause injury. While we acknowledge Rowbottom's crossed or braced arms may have reduced the impact to some extent, this was not sufficient to reduce it to low impact.
    What a complete load of horse @@@@!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Your last paragraph is going to electrify Red and White to a further two pages of debate.
    Really? Most of us got the joke. Move on.

Veterans List
    Ok. The Melbourne Football media are in a frenzy about Parker. The Dons are being crucified for not physically standing up to him after his taunting of Sheil.

Parker will be targeted. Sure, he can physically handle it, but it doesn’t take much for an attempted bump to damage a cheek bone or cause a concussion.

The other Swans then start flying the flag and a couple get cited by the match review committee and some suspensions are allocated.

Yep, no one thinks that these potential negative outcomes shouldn’t be factored in.
    So we want to indicate to Essendon that we are scared of them? We are not. Plain and simple. Paranoia might be your way but it's not the Swans way.

Now this: https://www.afl.com.au/news/763230/-...o-parker-taunt

Take note.....and please move on.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 18th May 2022 at 01:58 PM.

Senior Player

Pity they didn't get into a frenzy about the booing of Adam for three years. Good luck "targetting" Parker. How many times has he won the
    "Most Courageous Player" Award ?

Goes up to 11
    Geez it's not like the Melbourne AFL media to make a mountain out of a molehill is it????

The caravan will move on, the Parker incident will soon be forgotten about, and Shiel will remain an overpaid soft player with suspect disposal skills in a terribly mediocre team. End of.