Page 459 of 529 FirstFirst ... 359409449455456457458459460461462463469509 ... LastLast
Results 5,497 to 5,508 of 6340

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes and his composure hasn't improved.

But, he was injured for two thirds of this season and a bunch of last season. So if they have a list spot available, I think it's reasonable to give him another year to see what he can do if he stays fit, with a full VFL season to build on.
    Losing Dawson has allowed us to be less brutal with list decisions

Happy enough with what we’ve done. We’ve got lots of depth for next year.

Unless we have a player around pick 16 we are really keen on I could see us trading out pick 16 and have three first rounders next year.

Brisbane are an ideal target with their F/S Ashcroft next year who is an early first rounder.

A swap of our pick 16 for their 2022 first rounder plus their 2021 pick 41 for our 2022 second rounder?

Main reason is that I can see us being very very active next trade period

Interesting theory, Wombling, but it would leave us one short on our list this season. It would also mean bringing in no early pick whatsoever this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Interesting theory, Wombling, but it would leave us one short on our list this season. It would also mean bringing in no early pick whatsoever this season.
    Not really April, all we’d be doing is pushing back this draft and forward in 2022.

Logic would be that Brisbane won’t use their first rounder in 2022 and will need points. If we feel this draft is the lottery everyone says it is then why not have three picks in the 30s?

I can see us seriously trading next year.

Can see us going hard for Darcy Moore who will see Sydney as an attractive destination for many reasons.

We’ll try and get him for nowt but may need to trade.

And we’re renowned for stalking big forwards. Would be tempted to go for Ben King with three first rounders as bait?

Imagine Darcy Moore and King in our spine for the next 8 years?

I couldn't help but wondering this morning.....if as Tom Harley saids we offered Jordan Dawson a serious long term contract ie maybe $600k pa and we valued his role for the future......whata re we doing with that money now?

Is it in pre paying a couple other players ie loading up a few contracts?

Is it being kept as a bit of a war chest along with Buddy's $900k which will be available come 2023?

Or ?

Hewett and Dawsos contracts would be approx $1m pa combined?

Or have players like McInerny, Warmer, Errol and Campbo really got on the radar of AFL clubs and we have had to save a few dollars ready for their contracts to increase?

I think we need most of it to try and keep all of our young talent. There are some big names coming out of contract including Heeney. The one that I see as the biggest flight risk is McDonald so we need to sign him early on in 2022. That will probably mean he wins a good contract based on potential.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    We have a bucket of talent coming out of contract next year, from players currently on big contracts like Heeney and Lloyd to ones who will have a claim for a solid upgrade like JMac, to McDonald and Gulden. A good chunk of the Dawson/Hewett money will get used.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I couldn't help but wondering this morning.....if as Tom Harley saids we offered Jordan Dawson a serious long term contract ie maybe $600k pa and we valued his role for the future......whata re we doing with that money now?

Is it in pre paying a couple other players ie loading up a few contracts?

Is it being kept as a bit of a war chest along with Buddy's $900k which will be available come 2023?

Or ?

Hewett and Dawsos contracts would be approx $1m pa combined?

Or have players like McInerny, Warmer, Errol and Campbo really got on the radar of AFL clubs and we have had to save a few dollars ready for their contracts to increase?
    I suspect that some money went to upgrading Stephen' contract. Had Dawson signed I think he would have left. Whilst he would not be on huge money now I also think some may have gone to re-sign Reid who also may have been set free. The rest we should use to help secure re-signing our young talent with McDonald and Gulden the obvious priorities

Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    I can see us seriously trading next year.

Can see us going hard for Darcy Moore who will see Sydney as an attractive destination for many reasons.

We’ll try and get him for nowt but may need to trade.

And we’re renowned for stalking big forwards. Would be tempted to go for Ben King with three first rounders as bait?

Imagine Darcy Moore and King in our spine for the next 8 years?
    I frankly can't see any of this happening. Nor do I think we should try. Logan will be our elite key forward. We don't need, nor can we afford another one. Although we do need to shore up our key defensive stocks, we seem to be in the process of doing that. Tom McCartin is a long term anchor in defence and we have a number of options to fill the 2nd key role. We will have too many players with big salary demands to add someone like Darcy Moore to the payroll.

I also think we should keep our current draft hand. There are some good prospects in the latter part of the 1st round where I feel we can draft a player who can strengthen our list. The 2nd rounders should also provide some reasonable prospects. We already have 2 first rounders next year, so we should be holding a strong enough hand in the 2022 draft.

I don't know if we will be active in the 2022 trade period, but we should be in a good position to play in the game if we choose. It's too early to say. Let's play out the 2022 season first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I frankly can't see any of this happening. Nor do I think we should try. Logan will be our elite key forward. We don't need, nor can we afford another one. Although we do need to shore up our key defensive stocks, we seem to be in the process of doing that. Tom McCartin is a long term anchor in defence and we have a number of options to fill the 2nd key role. We will have too many players with big salary demands to add someone like Darcy Moore to the payroll.

I also think we should keep our current draft hand. There are some good prospects in the latter part of the 1st round where I feel we can draft a player who can strengthen our list. The 2nd rounders should also provide some reasonable prospects. We already have 2 first rounders next year, so we should be holding a strong enough hand in the 2022 draft.

I don't know if we will be active in the 2022 trade period, but we should be in a good position to play in the game if we choose. It's too early to say. Let's play out the 2022 season first.
    I was about to say exactly that Ludwig. I will add though if Logan gets poached back to WA, we should get in the market for a key forward. Unfortunately, I don't see Ben King as a possibility given how hard the Melbourne clubs will chase him, especially St Kilda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I was about to say exactly that Ludwig. I will add though if Logan gets poached back to WA, we should get in the market for a key forward. Unfortunately, I don't see Ben King as a possibility given how hard the Melbourne clubs will chase him, especially St Kilda.
    I actually don't like the idea of having 2 superstar key forwards on the same team. It draws too much attention from other forward options. I think this would be particularly detrimental for the Swans, because we have such a great cast of small forwards. Our strength is the diversity of options we have up forward.

I just finished watching the round 3 game v Richmond. What a pleasure. Wicks was left alone most of the game. He had 13 marks, 3 goals and a poster. Warner also had a super game. His ability to get the ball to boot quickly and then kick long and on target in a split second is impressive, even for a seasoned player. Much to look forward to with both of these players next year.