Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: General Swans news

Not fresh, or especially ground breaking, but I found these two articles about Sam Wicks and Hayden McLean respectively for anyone who is interested:

When the Wicks are cracking: young Swan takes flight | AFL Players' Association
    Young Swan McLean gleans advice from the best | AFL Players' Association (I might have seen, and even posted, this latter article previously)
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

There's an article on ABC online entitled: Administrative reform long overdue as Michael Warner’s book The Boys’ Club ignored by the AFL

I tried posting the link but even when I tried to follow neilfws' instructions it didn't work so I will leave you to find it.

Basically the article is a review of The Boys' Club, a book by Michael Warner, which critiques the AFL and all the insiders patting themselves and - especially - the CEO on the back about what a great job they've been doing, especially in relation to the pandemic. This was contrasted with a quote from our own former Chairman Richard Colless who is reported to have said: "There are any number of people who could do the job." This book is contrasted with another by Garry Linnell in 1995 called Football Ltd.

Wondering if anyone here has read either book and, if so, whether you have any comments?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Love your list of "Cortinas" snajik! May I add Ricky Quade to the list, please?
    and Stuey Maxfield?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Other more recent Sydney Cortinas - Craig Bird, Nick Smith, Laidler and Grundy, not spectacular, but just hard work.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    There's an article on ABC online entitled: Administrative reform long overdue as Michael Warner’s book The Boys’ Club ignored by the AFL

Wondering if anyone here has read either book and, if so, whether you have any comments?
    I've read it, very little information I hadn't known about - but it's very good.
    We all have a tendancy, to a greater or lesser extent, to fucus on the now and forget the past. We can also give the AFL administration a pass because we enjoy the AFL product so much.
    All Warner really did was to run through the AFL's handling of the various issues of the last 20 or so years, without allowing on field activities or the passage of time distract your focus on the administartation.
    What's revealed is an utterly contemptible pattern of behaviour.
    Many crises are not of the AFL's own making, Salary Cap breaches, the Essendon drugs scandal, West Coast recreatinal drugs, The Talia tipoffs, Lachie Whitfield, Melbourne Tanking. But each was made worse by the AFL attempts (both before and after each scandal erupted) at short sighted Brand (and execuive) Protection.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I've read it, very little information I hadn't known about - but it's very good.
    We all have a tendancy, to a greater or lesser extent, to fucus on the now and forget the past. We can also give the AFL administration a pass because we enjoy the AFL product so much.
    All Warner really did was to run through the AFL's handling of the various issues of the last 20 or so years, without allowing on field activities or the passage of time distract your focus on the administartation.
    What's revealed is an utterly contemptible pattern of behaviour.
    Many crises are not of the AFL's own making, Salary Cap breaches, the Essendon drugs scandal, West Coast recreatinal drugs, The Talia tipoffs, Lachie Whitfield, Melbourne Tanking. But each was made worse by the AFL attempts (both before and after each scandal erupted) at short sighted Brand (and execuive) Protection.
    Thanks for that RnR. I think I won't go out of my way to order the book pronto but I'll read it when a convenient opportunity arises.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I just found this article I had saved on an old hard drive. Seeing that it is 10yrs old I think I should be able to get away with pasting the whole article.
    Blood, sweat and tears

James Hird
    August 20, 2010 7:43PM

PAUL Roos and Brett Kirk will grace the SCG for the last time on Saturday night.

They are the heart and soul of the Bloods and, while what I've seen on the field this year tells me Sydney has a bright future, it will not be the same without these two great leaders.

Paul Roos is an innovator. His game style was famously called boring by the head of the AFL, but in the eyes of every Swans supporter Roos delivered them exactly what they wanted - a flag after 72 years.

He brought many things to Sydney - great character and self-belief, an astute tactical brain and a normality that seems rare in the coaching ranks.

This weekend there will be tears and plenty of emotion because for all of Roos' tactical brilliance, the main ingredient of his success was that his players played for him.

It's no use having the best tactical brain in the world if your players aren't on the same page. The Swans have displayed a unity under Roos that is the envy of the competition.

According to Swans players he is tough and can come down hard on anybody who strays from the Bloods code, but he has built a rare level of trust with his players.

I have spoken to Kirk and teammate Jarrad McVeigh about their coach, and both would bleed for him on the footy field. Their mission on the ground is to carry out and enforce his message.

Failure was learnt from, and character built from, the hard times they spent together.

You only have to watch the dying moments of the 2005 Grand Final to appreciate how committed the Swans players were during the Roos era.

Tactically, he was brilliant. The Swans' game plan was built on contested ball, tackling and precision passing. Their method was to win the ball through a stoppage and then keep it away from the opposition.

Playing against them was a nightmare because they would constantly chip the ball and deny you the ability to get your hands on it.

Throw in a few stars such as Adam Goodes, Barry Hall, Ryan O'Keefe and Kirky, and Roos played the game to his team's strengths.

My most memorable experience with Roos was playing against him in the mid-90s on the SCG. He had the ground worked out in his brain perfectly. As I continued to lead up the ground from centre half-forward he stayed back and roamed centre half-back like a master.

He collected 30 possessions and kicked two goals while I got dragged and copped a sermon from coach Kevin Sheedy on the plane on the way home.

Sheeds' parting line at Melbourne Airport once we landed cut me deep - "So much for you being a superstar. You have just been taken to the cleaners by an old man."

Fate dealt the Swans a great hand to have a coach like Roosy and a player like Kirk at the same time.

To know Brett is to become a better person. He is the embodiment of the Roos ethos - a selfless individual who gives everything for his team.

I was privileged to meet him in Ireland on an international rules trip in 2004. Except for the time he wrestled me up and down the corridor of a five-star hotel in Dublin, I have only great memories of him.

Brett made the most of himself as a footballer. He was never blessed with lightning pace, but he made sure he controlled the game by getting his hands on the ball first or creating a turnover through his tackling and pressure.

This weekend marks the end of an era for the Swans - an era built on two unique men who have the ultimate respect of their peers.

Sydney and its next coach, John Longmire, have a lot to live up to in the future. Fortunately for them, the list looks good and the vibe out of the Swans is that Longmire is a people's person, just like Roosy.

Now it's time for him and the players to create their own legacy. But the Bloods will carry the stamp of Roos and Kirk for years to come.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I just found this article I had saved on an old hard drive. Seeing that it is 10yrs old I think I should be able to get away with pasting the whole article.
    Blood, sweat and tears

James Hird
    August 20, 2010 7:43PM

PAUL Roos and Brett Kirk will grace the SCG for the last time on Saturday night.

They are the heart and soul of the Bloods and, while what I've seen on the field this year tells me Sydney has a bright future, it will not be the same without these two great leaders.

Paul Roos is an innovator. His game style was famously called boring by the head of the AFL, but in the eyes of every Swans supporter Roos delivered them exactly what they wanted - a flag after 72 years.

He brought many things to Sydney - great character and self-belief, an astute tactical brain and a normality that seems rare in the coaching ranks.

This weekend there will be tears and plenty of emotion because for all of Roos' tactical brilliance, the main ingredient of his success was that his players played for him.

It's no use having the best tactical brain in the world if your players aren't on the same page. The Swans have displayed a unity under Roos that is the envy of the competition.

According to Swans players he is tough and can come down hard on anybody who strays from the Bloods code, but he has built a rare level of trust with his players.

I have spoken to Kirk and teammate Jarrad McVeigh about their coach, and both would bleed for him on the footy field. Their mission on the ground is to carry out and enforce his message.

Failure was learnt from, and character built from, the hard times they spent together.

You only have to watch the dying moments of the 2005 Grand Final to appreciate how committed the Swans players were during the Roos era.

Tactically, he was brilliant. The Swans' game plan was built on contested ball, tackling and precision passing. Their method was to win the ball through a stoppage and then keep it away from the opposition.

Playing against them was a nightmare because they would constantly chip the ball and deny you the ability to get your hands on it.

Throw in a few stars such as Adam Goodes, Barry Hall, Ryan O'Keefe and Kirky, and Roos played the game to his team's strengths.

My most memorable experience with Roos was playing against him in the mid-90s on the SCG. He had the ground worked out in his brain perfectly. As I continued to lead up the ground from centre half-forward he stayed back and roamed centre half-back like a master.

He collected 30 possessions and kicked two goals while I got dragged and copped a sermon from coach Kevin Sheedy on the plane on the way home.

Sheeds' parting line at Melbourne Airport once we landed cut me deep - "So much for you being a superstar. You have just been taken to the cleaners by an old man."

Fate dealt the Swans a great hand to have a coach like Roosy and a player like Kirk at the same time.

To know Brett is to become a better person. He is the embodiment of the Roos ethos - a selfless individual who gives everything for his team.

I was privileged to meet him in Ireland on an international rules trip in 2004. Except for the time he wrestled me up and down the corridor of a five-star hotel in Dublin, I have only great memories of him.

Brett made the most of himself as a footballer. He was never blessed with lightning pace, but he made sure he controlled the game by getting his hands on the ball first or creating a turnover through his tackling and pressure.

This weekend marks the end of an era for the Swans - an era built on two unique men who have the ultimate respect of their peers.

Sydney and its next coach, John Longmire, have a lot to live up to in the future. Fortunately for them, the list looks good and the vibe out of the Swans is that Longmire is a people's person, just like Roosy.

Now it's time for him and the players to create their own legacy. But the Bloods will carry the stamp of Roos and Kirk for years to come.
    Thanks for posting this Rogue- what a superb and true article. I’m tempted to forgive Sir James for his own coaching fiasco but always held him in high esteem as a fantastic player: one of the greats. Heartwarming to read his take on the Bloods culture and 2 of our key personalities instrumental in its creation.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thanks for that RnR. I think I won't go out of my way to order the book pronto but I'll read it when a convenient opportunity arises.
    It's a tremendous book and well worth a read.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Thanks for reposting the article RogueSwan. Perfect time of year for a bit of nostalgia.

I'm still biding my time with the book, V&R. Thanks for the encouragement. I believe I'm in line to read a copy currently in use. If I remember I'll share my thoughts after I read it. I'm not expecting news, just some deeper insights into how the AFL works (or at least did work).

From Instagram, Barry O’Connor back home in Ireland (much to the delighted surprise of his family) and Will Hayward with arm in a sling so presumably has had surgery.

Off season certainly underway .....

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast