Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 8 Match Day Thread. Richmond V Sydney. MCG 19.25 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Wasn't Saturday night just a reminder that we've got a young team that will make mistakes? I know it felt kinda sick at the time but it's not obvious to me that any other combination of players on our list today would have made a difference. We should certainly be striving to do our best this year, but I'm not convinced we'll see anything more than these types of hit and miss efforts.

Surprised on the hate for Hiscox - thought he was fine as debutants go. McVeigh on the other hand had several unforgivable turnovers for a player with his skill set. Hopefully, Parker and Mitchell have apologised profusely to Hanners and Josh - they are the only people they really owe an apology to.
    The only fair and decent comment I have seen on the debutant on here. Seriously I know this is the place to be the arm chair expert but don't eat your own babies in the process people. The game was lost not only by Towers but in many others moments as Horse said. I agree totally with the poster who said one rookie too many but you have to love the approach of giving the kids a chance. On Hiscox, Jetta didn't lay a tackle that stuck for a few years and McVeigh neitehr when he was starting out, lets give him some more time in the gym etc, he's at the right club to address the one percenter side of things. Surely we prefer a great athlete from inner Sydney being given a chance to develop that another Irish / US or something else speculation. Hope he makes you all eat it one day.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but every time I hear BT open his mouth I want to jump into the TV and punch his lights out.
    I prefer to watch the Saturday night games with out of sync commentary from the radio or the Internet (or with the sound off completely) that listen to his attempt at commentary. And that was before his comments regarding Pyke, who last time I checked has a premiership and Taylor doesn't.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    The only fair and decent comment I have seen on the debutant on here. Seriously I know this is the place to be the arm chair expert but don't eat your own babies in the process people. The game was lost not only by Towers but in many others moments as Horse said. I agree totally with the poster who said one rookie too many but you have to love the approach of giving the kids a chance. On Hiscox, Jetta didn't lay a tackle that stuck for a few years and McVeigh neitehr when he was starting out, lets give him some more time in the gym etc, he's at the right club to address the one percenter side of things. Surely we prefer a great athlete from inner Sydney being given a chance to develop that another Irish / US or something else speculation. Hope he makes you all eat it one day.
    Hiscox is no Jetta.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I might be on my own here. I really enjoyed the bantering style of commentary between BT, Richardson and Darce. They make it funny, insightful, exciting and entertaining.

I could not stop laughing when BT was going on about the water boy giving Buddy a drink in the 3rd quarter.

BT would be such a weapon to have on a bux party. The banter and larricknism is brilliant.
    I, as a general rule, HATE BT's commentary.
    But for this last game I actually didn't mind it. To me it wasn't biased towards the Tigers as you would generally expect.
    The excitement at the end was genuine and not beat up too much.

I'm guessing this is a one-off...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

BT would be equally funny at wednesday golf
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I really enjoyed the bantering style of commentary between BT, Richardson and Darce.
    And the unwanted sequel to Dumb and Dumberer announces itself to the world.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Wow Wee! Boy oh Boy!
    Just get a grip on yourself. No need to overreact .
    Hah hah! Take that bit out of BT's vocab and I could probably stand the guy. This does not mean I am in any way aligned with BT's world view, by gee by jingo by crikey I'm not.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Hiscox is no Jetta.
    No, he's Hiscox and deserves more of a chance from Swans fans than being written off for that debut which was far from disastrous. Debuting in a side with 3 or so other first year players is different from debuting in a more seasoned team - it's even worse if you are an "outside player" and besides KJ and Hanners Swans were not great in contested ball on the night. I'm sure you get my point that players develop over time and the Swannies have a great track record of turning talent into well rounded team players.

Its now 5 days since that terrible night when nothing went right.

During that time, I have been inconsolable, intolerable, impatient, irritated and irascible all at once. Finally, I can face the world again.

I have had time to reflect and review but I still cannot understand why we can't beat bloody Richmond. Its confounding and disturbing.

I knew when I heard the news about Kennedy that we would struggle to win the clearances. Then I thought that with the progress of Mitchell, the grit of Jack, the form of Parker and the dominance of Hannebery, this would be an opportunity for these others to step up.

Such was the case for the first 15 minutes but for whatever reason (probably should give credit to the Richmond mid-field) following that we got smashed at every clearance till half-time. Some blame must go to the mid-field but what was most worrying was how easily Hampson, not a noted ruckman, dominated especially when Tippett was off the ball.

It was his ability to give them first use that gave them the confidence to run forward and the cascading effect that had on our defence. Reg and Ted suffered most because it was their opponents that were getting the benefit of uncontested disposals upfield, but the entire defensive unit was left out to dry too often, and too few have the closing speed to stop well directed kicks to space.

The rest of the game saw an arm wrestle between midfields with each team gaining the upper hand from time to time and thus the subsequent surges in scoring.

The team did not play well and it may be true that we had too many inexperienced players especially with some of the decision making in the final moments but at the start of the season I did not think we'd win the premiership this year and yet I find ways of convincing myself we may do it.

After 5 dreadful days, the sun is still shining and we have a footy game to look forward to Friday night. Ahh, but that's a different story. See you on the next thread.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post

Such was the case for the first 15 minutes but for whatever reason (probably should give credit to the Richmond mid-field) following that we got smashed at every clearance till half-time. Some blame must go to the mid-field but what was most worrying was how easily Hampson, not a noted ruckman, dominated especially when Tippett was off the ball.
    I believe that Hampson is actually a very good tap ruckman. His weaknesses are in everything else e.g. marking, kicking etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    No, he's Hiscox and deserves more of a chance from Swans fans than being written off for that debut which was far from disastrous. Debuting in a side with 3 or so other first year players is different from debuting in a more seasoned team - it's even worse if you are an "outside player" and besides KJ and Hanners Swans were not great in contested ball on the night. I'm sure you get my point that players develop over time and the Swannies have a great track record of turning talent into well rounded team players.
    +1
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Marsh upgraded to Senior list. I hope he gets a go, perfect rebound flanker.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk