Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I watched the last quarter which was painful at times. i cannot understand why players who know better have brain freezes when playing in the seconds. Blakey 4 bounces on the wing and the sloppy handball and Geelong rebound and get a goal. Blakey gets lucky bounce and could have had a snap at goal does a 180 and gets caught. Campbell by himself with 2 free swans players by themselves in the 50m arc, no he kicks it to a pack of Geelong players.

Veterans List
    Next week can somebody give a score for those of us who can't see the game. Worse than the ABC radio. No score for the whole game.

Could someone who saw the VFL game give a rundown of some of the guys competing for senior spot?

Did Campbell and McDonald recover their energy and zing. Were their skill levels up to weeks 1-3 of the season. Could Campbell be a chance to come back in for COR even though COR played very well? Could McDonald be ready to come in for Sinclair even though the seniors need Sinclair to ruck support an injured Hickey?

Could Blakey come in to provide a highly mobile ruck support role in tandem with Hickey. Would Blakey’s mobility and X-Factor talent be more useful than Sinclair as a back up ruck?

There will be a key defensive spot available in the seniors assuming Rampe is not ready. Does it go to Gould, Brand, Barry O or Fox? Melbourne have Jackson and Tom McDonal as their key forwards and they are both very tall big bodied players.
    Last edited by Bangalore Swans; 2nd May 2021 at 07:49 AM.

Geelong are a very good side, with a lot of AFL experienced players, both listed and former. Including Thurlow.

McAndrew - a good tap ruck but thrown around by the experienced Fort and didn't compete enough at ground level post contest. Did some ok things around the ground

Fox - provided great run, looked a level above. Great depth player

Gould - very good against a bigger opponent in Ratagulea early. He's really knocking. Leader of the backline

Amartey - just isn't a good forward and not much around the ground. Not going to be the player we're looking for

Sheather - great project player. We'll see him in the seniors eventually, probably not til next year

Ling - looks ready. The type of player who will look even better at a higher level. Time to get games in to him

Campbell - high energy. Tried to do a bit too much at times, but definitely a level above. Played a lot on ball then across half back. Will be back soon

Carruthers - long term project, but he looks a great half back flank prospect. Clean hands, good user and reads the flight well

McDonald - didn't stand out at all. Looked like tough conditions for a tall forward with a lot of wind. Some good second efforts at ground level, but didn't see much of that high work rate, long leads we saw in the WAFL.

Bell - really tries, but just doesn't have that dominant trait to set him apart

Blakey - clearly the best user in the team. But he needs to find a new level of workrate. Looks like he's always just off a contest. But still looked very good playing through the middle. Did some rucking, I would not persist.

McCartin - seemed to go down early with a hand injury

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Geelong are a very good side, with a lot of AFL experienced players, both listed and former. Including Thurlow.

McAndrew - a good tap ruck but thrown around by the experienced Fort and didn't compete enough at ground level post contest. Did some ok things around the ground

Gould - very good against a bigger opponent in Ratagulea early. He's really knocking. Leader of the backline

Amartey - just isn't a good forward and not much around the ground. Not going to be the player we're looking for

Sheather - great project player. We'll see him in the seniors eventually, probably not til next year

Ling - looks ready. The type of player who will look even better at a higher level. Time to get games in to him

Campbell - high energy. Tried to do a bit too much at times, but definitely a level above. Played a lot on ball then across half back. Will be back soon

Carruthers - long term project, but he looks a great half back flank prospect. Clean hands, good user and reads the flight well

McDonald - didn't stand out at all. Looked like tough conditions for a tall forward with a lot of wind. Some good second efforts at ground level, but didn't see much of that high work rate, long leads we saw in the WAFL.

Blakey - clearly the best user in the team. But he needs to find a new level of workrate. Looks like he's always just off a contest. But still looked very good playing through the middle. Did some rucking, I would not persist.

Great analysis by the Runner. I agree with most but still not convinced Ling is up to AFL standard. I also thought Sam Gray played his best game for us and maybe a chance for promotion next week.

Turning to The Runner's analysis. Some good points there and thanks for sharing them with us. I watched the game too and I had a few points that I did not agree with. I thought that McDonald was pretty good from limited opportunities up forward. He took some nice grabs including a tough contested one and then converted from a tough position. I think he ended up with 3 goals?

I thought that the Lizard was pretty good. He flashed in and out of play as he usually does. I'm not sure playing him in the ruck is a great option. Two areas he needs to improve are using his height to take more grabs around the ground and smarter ball use. He will be back in the seniors, its just a matter of how many weeks he stays down.

Fox looked great. Very fit, gave us great dash, took some excellent marks and could slot back into the seniors as soon as next week.

Campbell looked classy and he won't be down for too long.

Bell and Armetey were disappointing to me. Ling was ok but I'm yet to be convinced that he can hold a spot in our seniors. Gould is working towards a senior debut.

It was disappointing that we lost McCartin early. I hope he is OK as he was great last week.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Great analysis by the Runner. I agree with most but still not convinced Ling is up to AFL standard. I also thought Sam Gray played his best game for us and maybe a chance for promotion next week.
    Yeh I didn't rate Ling's game particualrly highly either yesterday. The commentary team wanted to suggest almost every player on the ground on both sides had 'great games' lol, but I felt he was a touch disappointing again, and I don't think is that close to seniors selection at this point (barring injuries). Had some good moments, but also significant periods where he didn't do a whole lot either.

- - - Updated - - -

Good analysis - I really liked Sheather yesterday, had some genuinely good moments. Appears to have a decent footy brain and will develop nicely.

Thought Fox had a great game too, and was impressed by McAndrew considering how raw he still is even at this level.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Thank you for sharing your analysis. Much appreciated. But am I right in thinking you watched on TV not at the ground?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Next week can somebody give a score for those of us who can't see the game. Worse than the ABC radio. No score for the whole game.
    You can check the results at Results for 2021 VFL Mens - GameDay . Good idea to bookmark it for future use.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You can check the results at Results for 2021 VFL Mens - GameDay . Good idea to bookmark it for future use.
    Best players from that link

Best Players: R. Fox, M. Sheather, W. Gould, L. Taylor, K. Brand, S. Gray

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Thank you for sharing your analysis. Much appreciated. But am I right in thinking you watched on TV not at the ground?
    Yeah it's on kayo for rewatching

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Best players from that link

Best Players: R. Fox, M. Sheather, W. Gould, L. Taylor, K. Brand, S. Gray
    I'd agree with this lot as our best. Unfortunately, none really smashed down the door for senior selection.

Fox was good, certainly full of running but his disposal was a bit hit and miss. Will definitely be better for the run and won't let anyone down in our firsts.

Gould was solid. I don't think he is going to be a prolific posession winner but he did well on Ratugolea and did seem to be the leader down back. If Rampe and Melican are not right, Will would not look out of place in the ones. I think there is alot more upside to him than Brand.

Campbell and Blakey both looked like they are way too talented for reserves at times. But both lacked consistency and I would prefer them to tear up a game of VFL before being selected in the AFL, unless required by injury.

Sqizzy has been great in the VFL. I'd like to see him get another chance at the AFL.