Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread. Swans v Geelong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Proves the unreliability of earwitness reports.

I trust my bias ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just watched the kayo replay again on my phone and I’m sure the first call is touched

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It certainly does....and I was wrong. In the match replay video, it is hard to make out exactly what he is saying besides 'play on' but I could have sworn I heard the word 'touched'. Like KSAS, I may have been guilty of hearing what I wanted to hear.....hell, we've all been there!

Anyway, I couldn't give a rats if the call was wrong, Cameron was no guarantee of kicking a goal and the Cats got at least 3 earlier goals from flatly wrong decisions. Karma can be a bitch.....but we got some good karma on Saturday night.....and we deserved it!
    I thought the same, and to test my bias had a couple of non-Swans’ fans listen as well. I guess it shows that it’s hard to hear what’s being said past the interminable drivel of the commentators.
    At the ground, the crowd was going berserk, and no one could hear a thing. Agree on the karma, after Geelong’s 3 gift goals.

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    I have just watched the kayo replay again on my phone and I’m sure the first call is touched

Yes, I heard it too.

For those who heard 'touched', has anyone considered that it was not an umpire, but rather a player or spectator who called 'touched'?

For those who heard 'touched', has anyone considered that it was not an umpire, but rather a player or spectator who called 'touched'?
    No. I heard "Touched, play on! Touched play on!" Consequently I wasn't the least bit anxious when Cameron caught the ball. I could see he was well covered by tacklers. Spectators and players don't have mikes.

Senior Player
    I heard it too Bloods05. Repeated as you say. Recognisable as the voice of the umpire.

I must say I find this situation quite peculiar. Was the AFL evening up for Geelong's fake victory against the Brions where their joy of victory was undermined, by trying to do the same thing to the Swans? In the Brions game there was no doubt, in this gamer there is no evidence of a wrong call. I don't think the AFL have even spoken to the umpire. I think they are just going by the overdubbed dumb commentary of Richo who was trying to stir up intrigue and controversy from hundreds of kilometres away watching the game on a monitor as far as I can tell. Could it just be dodgy, manipulative marketing tactics by the AFL?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Are you guys who heard the “touched play on” call sitting in the Swans cheer squad who sit on the fence in that part of the ground?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That is seriously pathetic from Whatley, a sports journo I have respected a lot over the years. He's certainly become more of one of the Vic boys club since he left the ABC.....very disappointing and immature response.
    He's gone from being of the most respected and objective commentators on the game to a full on Cats fan-boy. Can't take anything he says about their games seriously.

Warming the Bench
    See post 462

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    No. I heard "Touched, play on! Touched play on!" Consequently I wasn't the least bit anxious when Cameron caught the ball. I could see he was well covered by tacklers. Spectators and players don't have mikes.
    My mates were also sure it was “touched, play on”. As one of them said today, “not enough syllables happening” for “not 15, play on”. Having done some work in TV in my younger days, I’m now wondering if Fox Footy overdubbed the sequence.
    In the end though, whether this is a confected controversy or not, we still won, despite the 3 gift goals the Cats got.
    As for AFL360, what was once compelling viewing has morphed into a bit of self-indulgence from the two hosts, and is no longer part of my footy media landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Are you guys who heard the “touched play on” call sitting in the Swans cheer squad who sit on the fence in that part of the ground?
    I also heard "touched play on, touched play on, touched play on" when I watched the 'Last 2 minutes' video of the AFL website here: Last Two Minutes: Sydney Swans clinch a thriller

On that video, I there is absolutely no way I could reintepret that audio as saying "play on not 15"

However, the commentator said he thought the umpire said "not 15"

So I wonder if one umpire said "touched, play on", (picked up on Channel 7 broadcast), whereas the other umpire's audio of "not 15" went to the commentators/Fox Footy? If thats the case, and one umpire spotted and called 'touched', regardless of an incorrect call by the other other umpire, Play-on was the correct decision.

In any event, as many others have pointed out, the Cats were beneficiaries of a number of other inarguably incorrect decisions throughout the game that directly resulted goals. So the ourtcome for the game was fair.