Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

He has made a bad mistake. Although there appears to be mitigating circumstances (it is well known a low blood sugar can make people irritable), he has fully owned his actions. His apology was genuine and clearly remorseful.

If his form warrants it, we should give him a second chance.

2021 VFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'd agree with this lot as our best. Unfortunately, none really smashed down the door for senior selection.

Fox was good, certainly full of running but his disposal was a bit hit and miss. Will definitely be better for the run and won't let anyone down in our firsts.

Gould was solid. I don't think he is going to be a prolific posession winner but he did well on Ratugolea and did seem to be the leader down back. If Rampe and Melican are not right, Will would not look out of place in the ones. I think there is alot more upside to him than Brand.

Campbell and Blakey both looked like they are way too talented for reserves at times. But both lacked consistency and I would prefer them to tear up a game of VFL before being selected in the AFL, unless required by injury.

Sqizzy has been great in the VFL. I'd like to see him get another chance at the AFL.
    Agree with both the quote from earlier in respect of best players and the majority of the above text.

Fox was a stand out performer especially in the last quarter when the game needed to be won. With our rotations down and our bench reduced to 3 we were tiring, moreover their talls were dominant in the clearances with Jenkins, Ratigulea and a curly haired a@@h@@@ named Darcy Fort.
    Just as an aside, this guy got my goat over a number of incidents but one in particular when I think it was Carruthers made a tackle and was at his feet on the ground and this $$$$$$ sunk to his knees on top of him and then kicked our player. I think it was Gulden who then ran in and remonstrated then this idiot throws up his arms “not me sir, not me”. Laughably craven.
    Back to the main plot, Sheather was threatening with the ball all game despite some niggling injuries, and Taylor and Gray were important. Still liked Gray’s game better than Taylor even if the stats fail to justify this, too often Taylor runs to a contest accepts or more exactly demands the footy when in a worse position only to dish it off to someone in an even more difficult situation.
    Campbell continues to frustrate with his disposals which are hurried and shabby by his standards. To be fair he is still adjusting his game to the pace and rhythm at this level and above, so poise under pressure is a premium. McDonald is struggling to “clunk” his marks, whilst not being out marked and presenting with genuine and courageous persistence he is not anything more than a target at present even at this level.
    I really liked Gould’s game. He was reliable at Full back and seemed to have good relationship with those around him. He controlled his direct opponent, read the play and intercepted, supported Brand in marking contests and showed dash and skills when taking clean possession.
    Blakey is a conundrum. At his best he could be a match winner, but he lacks consistency and for someone with his running power and pace should be as good defensively as he can be offensively.

Regular in the Side
    VFL Coaches Corner: Round 3
    Laidler provides the report card.
    Fox is the outstanding player that may be promoted promptly.
    Gould had just these words - "20 disposals" - lots of work to do.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    He has made a bad mistake. Although there appears to be mitigating circumstances (it is well known a low blood sugar can make people irritable), he has fully owned his actions. His apology was genuine and clearly remorseful.

If his form warrants it, we should give him a second chance.
    Exactly. If you look at the vision the Geelong Player swung a arm at Paddy M and hit him around the back /shoulder area, McCartin immediately reacted and swung wildly without even looking and struck him on the chin. Hence the 5 weeks. Second chance definitely !!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    VFL Coaches Corner: Round 3
    Laidler provides the report card.
    Fox is the outstanding player that may be promoted promptly.
    Gould had just these words - "20 disposals" - lots of work to do.
    Report card of Laidler's report cards:

"Started the season well; showed signs of having worked on his game. Has begun to fall into bad habits and needs to ensure he gives consistent effort each week.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I know he just punched someone in the head but I kind of feel sorry for Paddy McCartin? His career may be all but over now after working so hard to come back
    If the Swans have him on their radar the suspension will mean zilch. They've know he can play and they watch him train. More likely to deter other clubs' interest.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Paddy mccartins 5 week ban should see him available just after the mid season draft. No loss really

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    If the Swans have him on their radar the suspension will mean zilch. They've know he can play and they watch him train. More likely to deter other clubs' interest.
    In the few games that he played, he's certainly shown enough to be drafted. He was very good against the Suns. On the other hand, if that punch was totally out of character, it could be an indication of some long term brain damage, that was set in motion by earlier concussions. However, there's not really any way of telling if that's the case or not. So I guess that uncertainty will make a difficult decision even more difficult.

Paddy McCartin should wear a helmet during games considering his history of numerous concussions.

Helmets apparently don't do anything in reducing concussions according to the experts, as it's the way the brain rattles in the head from a heavy hit.

Veterans List
    Very impressive and remorseful statement from Paddy, considering it is off the top of his head and not pre-prepared and read out from a sheet of paper.

Paddy McCartin suspended

Video of his statement at the bottom of this article.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Very impressive and remorseful statement from Paddy, considering it is off the top of his head and not pre-prepared and read out from a sheet of paper.

Paddy McCartin suspended

Video of his statement at the bottom of this article.
    I don't agree it was an impressive apology. Nor do I agree that it was not prepared in advance. I do agree that he appears to be genuinely remorseful - although whether he is sorry to Aaron Black or just sorry for what he has done to himself and all the people he has let down, I couldn't say for sure.

A better apology would have:

* spelled out what he was apologising way more specifically (not just "for what happened" - e.g. "I'm really sorry I punched Aaron in the face - I didn't mean to, I lost my cool and meant to whack him in the chest but missed and got his face")
    * explained why he acted in the way that he did (without, of course, seeking to justify it)
    * articulated what was so wrong with what he did and how he understands that (e.g. with risks of concussion, CTE etc.)
    * explained why it won't happen again and what steps he is taking to address the causes of his actions
    * offered some more concrete actions he is taking to make things up to Aaron Black.

I suspect the reason he didn't talk more about what happened and why he lashed out was because he was told not to for fear that he might prejudice himself and his hearing before the Tribunal. If that's right, while he is quite entitled to do that and it is quite understandable, it shows that looking after himself was his highest priority. [If you want to draw an analogy with crime, it's a lot like exercising your right to silence with police investigating crime - you're well within your rights but it's not exactly a demonstration of remorse even if you wind up pleading guilty to the charge.] I think while he wasn't reading from a script, he had planned out what he was going to say with input from the lawyers representing him in the Tribunal proceedings (and he may even be looking down at dot points while he is speaking) - and who knows how many takes he did before they arrived at the version that was released days after the events transpired.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)