Page 79 of 147 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The other side of the story is the non-legal side. Sure, the club can refuse to trade a contracted player, but the risk then is that you're paying good money to someone that may be disaffected and not give you good value and it's better to try and get something out of it sooner rather than later.

As the Swans have twice in recent memory shown, we are prepared to stand up to players and risk their disaffection by refusing a trade when we think it is in our best interests to do so (as in the cases of Paps and ROK).
    Yes, but as a club we were open to the idea (even if there were limitations to what we would accept). It is in the best interests of the club to keep players happy, even when they want to leave. Both Paps and ROK seemed to regain their passion for the club after their respective deals fell through.

At some point you have to back that the culture of your organisation is strong enough for players to want to stay at the club (or you need to make some big changes so that it is). If you continually hold players to ransom once they arrive no one will want to go there in the first place. It rarely works out any other way.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks BS. What an amazing young man. Would have been good to see him at the.Swans for at least one more year before him going off to help change things for his people.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    He went down the same path before last re-signing with us, but there wasn’t a big enough offer for him to move back then.

I think he’s one Longmire was rightfully tough on, undisciplined and most of his disposals were rushed and was behind many better midfielders. I was never a Jones fan I admit - he developed a reputation for toughness but most of that was push-and-shove stuff, not a lot of hardness at the ball.

Of course you’re going to get more midfield time and money at a @@@@ team - my observation was more that we have done the right thing by letting those guys go, good luck to them if other clubs are willing to overpay them and those teams don’t go anywhere.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Well, it kind of is like that, at least from a legal point of view. Because there is a contract on foot, changes have to be agreed to by both parties. The player can say "well, I only want to go there" and we can say "tough, no bickies". Conversely the club can say we want to trade you to X club and the player can respond "get stuffed, I'm not going". Unless both sides agree, there's no deal.

The other side of the story is the non-legal side. Sure, the club can refuse to trade a contracted player, but the risk then is that you're paying good money to someone that may be disaffected and not give you good value and it's better to try and get something out of it sooner rather than later.

As the Swans have twice in recent memory shown, we are prepared to stand up to players and risk their disaffection by refusing a trade when we think it is in our best interests to do so (as in the cases of Paps and ROK).
    The key with the Paps deal was that he still had a couple of years to go on his contract. So we had an upper hand in negotiating a deal (or no deal). ROK asked to be traded in a period prior to the introduction of free agency so again we had a good negotiating position. The hard situation is when a player is coming out of contract at the end of the current season and they want out. A team's negotiating position is much weaker in these situations. There is a risk of losing him for little or nothing in return. We lost Membery to the Saints for literally nothing as he just nominated for the pre-season draft where the Saints had first pick that year. We lost Jones for a modest draft pick. Same with Nankervis. The last time we received something decent for a traded player in their final year of contract was Mitchell where we received number 14 which became Ollie. We need to watch this going forward as we have a lot of out of contract players coming up at season's end. We need to re-sign the best of those soon eg Dawson, Stephens, as history shows that we won't get much in return if we let them go!

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    The key with the Paps deal was that he still had a couple of years to go on his contract. So we had an upper hand in negotiating a deal (or no deal). ROK asked to be traded in a period prior to the introduction of free agency so again we had a good negotiating position. The hard situation is when a player is coming out of contract at the end of the current season and they want out. A team's negotiating position is much weaker in these situations. There is a risk of losing him for little or nothing in return. We lost Membery to the Saints for literally nothing as he just nominated for the pre-season draft where the Saints had first pick that year. We lost Jones for a modest draft pick. Same with Nankervis. The last time we received something decent for a traded player in their final year of contract was Mitchell where we received number 14 which became Ollie. We need to watch this going forward as we have a lot of out of contract players coming up at season's end. We need to re-sign the best of those soon eg Dawson, Stephens, as history shows that we won't get much in return if we let them go!
    I agree but personally I'm not too worried about losing Dawson or Stephens. I think the high probability is that either the club or the player and their agent are holding off on finalising an extension for whatever reason e.g. in Dawson's case he (or his manager) may be trying to inflate his worth by showing great form and getting other clubs to show interest in him. In Stephens case it may be more that we are prioritising the higher profile deals first. Anyway, I agree it will be great when they are signed up but, for now, I'm not sweating on it.

As for those other examples I think we also got substantial unders for Mitchell and I said so at the time. The problem was that we weren't offering him $$ commensurate with a really high draft pick (we couldn't afford to because we had him behind JPK, Parker, Hanners & Jack) and by then he wanted out so our negotiating position was weakened.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

St Kilda must still be in town.
    Just saw Hanners walking up Druitt Street from Darling Harbour.
    He doesn't know when he'll play again.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    He went down the same path before last re-signing with us, but there wasn’t a big enough offer for him to move back then.

I think he’s one Longmire was rightfully tough on, undisciplined and most of his disposals were rushed and was behind many better midfielders. I was never a Jones fan I admit - he developed a reputation for toughness but most of that was push-and-shove stuff, not a lot of hardness at the ball.

Of course you’re going to get more midfield time and money at a @@@@ team - my observation was more that we have done the right thing by letting those guys go, good luck to them if other clubs are willing to overpay them and those teams don’t go anywhere.
    Careful about labelling Saints and others as a @@@@ team. We were lucky to win last Saturday. St Kilda are ravaged by injury just like we were last year. If we had their injury list, we would be struggling..GWS are in the same boat..Apart from 3 or 4 sides, at full strength, there is not much between another 10 or so teams. It's a very fine line and things can change quickly. We have done very well so far and it's a credit to the club as a whole but it's too early to crow.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    St Kilda must still be in town.
    Just saw Hanners walking up Druitt Street from Darling Harbour.
    He doesn't know when he'll play again.
    So sad to see Hanners struggling. He tries very hard and prepares well. His beat up body is now betraying him. He was a warrior for us for so long.

Not completely sold on their definition of statsticially elite - but anyway, the intriguing part of that article for mine:
    "In a sign of the increased involvement he is having within matches, Rohan won 10 disposals or more in five straight games for the first time in his career earlier this year. In doing so, he's proved his coach's remarks about his continued importance within the side correct."

Astounding for mine that someone with the level of 'talent' he is seen to have to have taken 150+ games to achieve what I'd expect is a very common occurence for a pretty significant proportion of the AFL.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Rohan played very well for Geelong in tonight's game against Port.

Senior Player
    Not sure if this is the right place but the man who helped create plenty of awareness of the Swans when they first moved Geoffrey Edelsten has passed away .
    Love him or loath him he made sure Sydney knew about us.
    Controversial businessman and former Sydney Swans owner Geoffrey Edelsten dies