Page 67 of 529 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Media speculation on Josh Kelly going to Norf or Essendon, Shai Bolton to WA & JUH being pryed from the Bulldogs:

AFL trade news, rumours, whispers 2021: Shai Bolton contract, Josh Kelly trade, contract, teams interested, free agents

Josh kelly is soft as putty

His highlights always make the news , they never show the fifty times a match his opponent gets out two metres clear of him

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Josh kelly is soft as putty

His highlights always make the news , they never show the fifty times a match his opponent gets out two metres clear of him
    Happy for Kelly to exercise his rights in the GWS contract he holds - 8 years at $1mill/year, nice anchor for their cap

On previous ruck target posts - Geelong always have cap space (Sean Darcy), Pies currently don't have enough points to match a top 5 bid on Nick Daicos (Lynch)

Regular in the Side
    I think Grundy would be more available than Lynch if a team was prepared to take on his massively bloated contract. Cox would also be available but again not value for money.

Veterans List
    Interesting to see that McKay signed a 2 year deal. There has been talk that the salary cap issues caused by the Covid era are uncertain, and 2 years is the best way to deal with this. I can't see any team wanting to take over the Kelly and Grundy contracts.

You have to make those high priced signings work out at least 80% for it to be worth their while. Look at Carlton and St. Kilda. They overpaid for so many players and have nothing to show for it except a bloated player payroll. Collingwood is a case that took down a team many thought were premiership contenders.

People can criticize signing players like Taylor and Clarke, but they're short term commitments and probably for little money.

I like what we are doing: Drafting well, developing and retaining good players that will commit to the system and the club. Look for good trades at a good price to top up and fill gaps in the roster.

I agree with Ludwig but I am anxiously waiting for good news on re-signing some soon to be out of contract players like Dawson, Stephens and Hewitt.

Looking ahead, we clearly lack a strong key defender. This weakness is being ruthlessly exploited by our components in recent matches. Hawthorn last week were effectively blocking our defenders from helping out each other with a chop out. This left one-on-one contests for McCartin, Rampe and Fox on much bigger opponents. We saw the results.

In the short term, this deficiency means we need to play either Brand or Melican (when fit) and to work out a way tactically to reduce the blocks from our opponents. In the long term, we need to buy in or pick up in the draft a top line key defender. Imagine how much better we would look with a player like May? In the coming matches we play Port with Charlie Dixon and WCE with Kennedy. Tall ruckmen will also go forward to exploit this perceived weakness. Can we minimise their contested marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I agree with Ludwig but I am anxiously waiting for good news on re-signing some soon to be out of contract players like Dawson, Stephens and Hewitt.

Looking ahead, we clearly lack a strong key defender. This weakness is being ruthlessly exploited by our components in recent matches. Hawthorn last week were effectively blocking our defenders from helping out each other with a chop out. This left one-on-one contests for McCartin, Rampe and Fox on much bigger opponents. We saw the results.

In the short term, this deficiency means we need to play either Brand or Melican (when fit) and to work out a way tactically to reduce the blocks from our opponents. In the long term, we need to buy in or pick up in the draft a top line key defender. Imagine how much better we would look with a player like May? In the coming matches we play Port with Charlie Dixon and WCE with Kennedy. Tall ruckmen will also go forward to exploit this perceived weakness. Can we minimise their contested marks?
    Some of that blocking was pretty blatant. I assume Horse will be having coffees with Gil Etc over the bye to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Happy for Kelly to exercise his rights in the GWS contract he holds - 8 years at $1mill/year, nice anchor for their cap
    Interesting for GWS. He's a $750k a year player, so keep him and pay overs, or let him go and use draft picks for a rebuild. Depends on where they see they are at (in the zone, or in rebuild).
    I think GWS would be hoping he goes.

Veterans List
    Twomey just posted a Ruck merry-go-round piece on the AFL website. Outlines contract status of every ruckman who is any chance of being targetted or moving.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Lynch is a great suggestion! Hayes I mentioned already. Ladhams (a) didn't want to come to the Swans last year; and (b) doubly won't want to leave Port to be a second fiddle, whereas last year he would have been offered the role that Hickey has now.
    However Port cant play all of Lycett, Ladhams & Hayes at the same time, and most often have only one of them in the starting line up. So there is an opportunity to play more at the Swans straight away, with the strong prospect of being the top ruck in a year or two.
    I do like the Lynch suggestion as a) it will stuff up Collingwood, and b) he looks an alright player.

Some interesting chatter on the Road to the draft about our salary cap position - still have 22 players out of contract according to them (No idea if it is right or not) - about 36 minutes in.

Road to the Draft trade special: Will Shai Bolton stay at Richmond?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Twomey just posted a Ruck merry-go-round piece on the AFL website. Outlines contract status of every ruckman who is any chance of being targetted or moving.
    Can't find it, can you share a link please?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.