Page 80 of 145 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

On the veteran's list
    Fantastic interview with Ted Richards on the TAB Inside 50 podcast with Shane Crawford and friend. (Over an hour long and mostly about his time at the Swans.) He talks about how close they got to the flag in 2006 and the fact that they had so many injuries during that game that Leo Barry had to stay on the ground after he'd done his hamstring. Well worth a listen, including that Shane Crawford was set to join the Swans at the end of 2005 but when we won the flag that year he thought he'd missed the party and decided to stay at hawthorn and try and get them a flag.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...y/id1499492812
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Fantastic interview with Ted Richards on the TAB Inside 50 podcast with Shane Crawford and friend. (Over an hour long and mostly about his time at the Swans.) He talks about how close they got to the flag in 2006 and the fact that they had so many injuries during that game that Leo Barry had to stay on the ground after he'd done his hamstring. Well worth a listen, including that Shane Crawford was set to join the Swans at the end of 2005 but when we won the flag that year he thought he'd missed the party and decided to stay at hawthorn and try and get them a flag.

‎Inside 50 with Crawf & Quinny on Apple Podcasts
    Thanks TBC. Very enjoyable and entertaining. Teddy could always talk underwater!

Veterans List
    This thread has frozen due to 'third party content'....please fix mod's.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Absolute GOLD from Steve Taubert Bob Murphy and Andy Maher | 1116 SEN
    I checked that out last night.....bloody hilarious. He would be a star on the footy public speaking circuit.

28 - Brandon Jack - 9781760876777 - Allen & Unwin - Australia

Unsure if this has been mentioned, but Brandon Jack's memoir 28 is out in August. The by-line looks good too: A Memoir of Football, Addiction, Art, Masculinity and Love.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    As for those other examples I think we also got substantial unders for Mitchell and I said so at the time. The problem was that we weren't offering him $$ commensurate with a really high draft pick (we couldn't afford to because we had him behind JPK, Parker, Hanners & Jack) and by then he wanted out so our negotiating position was weakened.
    Not sure we couldn't afford to pay Mitchell because of demands of JPK, Parker, Hanners & Jack.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post

Unsure if this has been mentioned, but Brandon Jack's memoir 28 is out in August. The by-line looks good too: A Memoir of Football, Addiction, Art, Masculinity and Love.
    Thanks for the heads-up on this Mark. Looks as if it will be well worth a read. Brandon is a remarkable young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post

Should be a good read. He is an excellent writer and speaks/presents exceptionally well - so definitely one to look forawrd to.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Should be a good read. He is an excellent writer and speaks/presents exceptionally well - so definitely one to look forawrd to.
    I ordered it today

This article from about 18 months ago gives some insights into Brandon Jack’s life post footy and the memoir about to be published.

Former Sydney Swans player, writer, musician and soon-to-be-published author says “Arts is for me” | Arts, Design & Architecture - UNSW Sydney

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Meg - an interesting light on Brandon, whose forays into journalism I always enjoy. I'll get the book.

I think I understand his decision for sociology. Having failed in my first attempt at uni I later paired up with a close friend and we did sociology at UNSW. It helped me to a life change in work and a later change of direction. God bless Gough!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

If past Swans Academy players count in this thread then look how well this guy is doing:

Seattle Seahawks punter Michael Dickson gets four-year extension

That money is better than Buddy money, as long as he continues to perform at a high level. NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

As an avid watcher of NFL, this guy is in the top 5 players at his position.

Dickson was in the same Academy intake as Heeney.

Great lesson for young people that if you don’t make one path then you can regroup and make another path.

I believe that Tom Trbojovic could have been in that Academy intake of Heeney’s as well. Imagine that guy as an AFL player.

That is some serious sports talent in one Academy intake.