Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans games of the past

Swans games of the past

Caught on Fox Footy the other night a Swans game from the early 2000's (didn't catch year), which I'd almost forgotten about & doesn't get as much mention as other celebrated games in club's recent history.

We're playing Brisbane on their home deck with all their big stars from their premiership era (Voss, Black, Arkemanis, Lappin, Leppitch etc...). At 3/4 time we we're 32 points down which should've been bigger if it wasn't for Brisbane's inaccurate goal kicking, such was their dominance. Bradshaw kicked 5 goals up to this point playing on Craig Bolton / LRT. We looked shot. Commentators mentioned we had been Brisbane's bogey team in recent years & they were seeking redemption.

At beginng of 4th Quarter LRT is moved forward & Malcom Blight mentioned if we can kick the first 3 goals funny enough we're right back in it, despite Brisbane's dominance. Uncannily that's exactly what happened! Could've been 4th straight had it not been for a Nick Davis around the body curler just shaving the post. LRT influential up forward creating crumbing opportunities, which resulted in a goal to a long haired ROK complete with hair band, who dominated this quarter.

Bradshaw kicked his 6th to steady the ship for Brisbane, which restored their lead to 19 points at the 15 minute mark. But we kept pressing. Game became really fierce with brutal tackles from both sides resulting in multiple stoppages. Tadgh Keneally & Leo Barry busy running out of defence which resulted in a beautiful running 50m+ goal from Paul Williams.

Matthew Nicks badly botched 2 opportunities during this quarter, one a set shot and the other a running shot (he looked to have choked). David Spriggs involved in a couple of important plays. Goodsie almost taking couple of contested marks in the forward line & just missing clever soccer goal. We kept pressing to kick further goals to level the scores with only about a minute left (no countdown clock back then, Ch 10 just had the 5 min warning when game entered time on). Barry Hall recieves free kick for high tackle right on the final siren. He kicks truly for his 5th from 40m out to gives us the win. The only time we hit the front all game!

I'd forgotten that we were 32 points down at 3/4 against the dominant team of that era. I only recall BIg Bad Busselling Barry Hall kicking the winner & the pile on celebrations afterwards. ROK played a blinder. In the coaches box was Roos, Longmire & Jonas from who I could recognise. Forgotten Swans classic (for me anyway).

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Early 2005 from memory - and a great sign of things to come. Wasn't it one of the Scott brothers that necked Barry to give away the free?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I do remember during that period I was never nervous about the Swans playing the Blions. The team seemed to lift to another level for those games.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Early 2005 from memory - and a great sign of things to come. Wasn't it one of the Scott brothers that necked Barry to give away the free?
    I have feeling it was pre 2005 because I couldn't see Ross Lyon in the coaches box (who I think later replaced Jonas). Plus I don't think Spriggs & Nicks were on our list in 2005. Other notable players were Jude Bolton, Maxfield, Jolly, Ball, Ben Matthews & Crouch who started his famed pest shutdown on Akermanis.

Yes, I think it was one of the Scott brothers who gave away free as they didn't show replay of incident (edited) but it looked like one of them from the short glimpse they showed.
    Last edited by KSAS; 16th December 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I have feeling it was pre 2005 because I couldn't see Ross Lyon in the coaches box (who I think later replaced Jonas). Plus I don't think Spriggs & Nicks were on our list in 2005. Other notable players were Jude Bolton, Maxfield, Jolly, Ball, Ben Matthews & Crouch who started his famed pest shutdown on Akermanis.

Yes, I think it was one of the Scott brothers who gave away free as they didn't show replay of incident (edited) but it looked like one of them from the short glimpse they showed.
    Nicks definitely was still on the list. Maxie, Nicks and Schaubs were arguably the three unlucky ones (along with the one and only, Luke Vogel) to be on the wrong side of injuries, form, structure in 2005 come grand final day.

And here we go: definitely 2005.

Australian Football - Match Details: 2005 R3 Brisbane vs Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Nicks definitely was still on the list. Maxie, Nicks and Schaubs were arguably the three unlucky ones (along with the one and only, Luke Vogel) to be on the wrong side of injuries, form, structure in 2005 come grand final day.

And here we go: definitely 2005.

Australian Football - Match Details: 2005 R3 Brisbane vs Sydney
    I stand corrected. Thanks for that! I'm surprised ROK is only credited with 8 disposals! They must've been in the last quarter (as I only caught match late in the 3rd term). Also surprised Spriggs & Nicks were still on our list in 2005. Gee you're so right veterans like Maxfield & Nicks were cruelly robbed of playing in flag that year. Shame also Kelly, Dunkley & Cresser having recently retired.

Ross Lyon must've been hiding away somewhere!

Also noticed Jonathon Brown & Mickey O were missing for both teams (injured I assume)? Sean Dempter's debut game.
    Last edited by KSAS; 16th December 2021 at 10:12 AM.

I stand corrected. Thanks for that! I'm surprised ROK is only credited with 8 disposals! They must've been in the last quarter (as I only caught match late in the 3rd term). Also surprised Spriggs & Nicks were still on our list in 2005. Gee you're so right veterans like Maxfield & Nicks were cruelly robbed of playing in flag that year. Shame also Kelly, Dunkley & Cresser having recently retired.

Ross Lyon must've been hiding away somewhere!

Also noticed Jonathon Brown & Mickey O were missing for both teams (injured I assume)? Sean Dempter's debut game.
    I distinctly remember where I was when Barry kicked that goal after the siren. During those years, I would occasionally wander up to my uncle's weekender in the Hunter Valley, out the back of Laguna, to do a bit of work around the place. With no mobile reception and the idea of escaping from city life, the only media access was an old transistor radio in the house and a car radio in a dilapidated van, that was kept for bashing around the property.

With the strange AM reception, where signals from far and wide, faded in and out, I managed to listen to most of the game on the tranny. However, due to a declining battery and confounding reception, that became increasingly difficult, the longer the game went. So, since the fourth quarter comeback was on, I rugged up and trudged out to the van, to check the reception. Luckily, it was pretty good. And when Barry slotted it after the siren, I screamed loud enough to possibly startle a few possums and gliders, but there possibly wasn't any humans close enough, to hear my joy.

Remember it so well. I was in my one and only ever trip to the tropics…wife’s work rewards trip to Fiji. She was furious that I had found a TV with the game on 😁. Prior to that game we had a great reputation for “never being out of a game” etc. but I remember posting in here that in actual fact we hadn’t come back from more than 20 points down for nearly four years! Didn’t we come back against Melbourne from 24 at 3/4 time late in the season? Scored 10 goals in the final quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Remember it so well. I was in my one and only ever trip to the tropics…wife’s work rewards trip to Fiji. She was furious that I had found a TV with the game on 😁. Prior to that game we had a great reputation for “never being out of a game” etc. but I remember posting in here that in actual fact we hadn’t come back from more than 20 points down for nearly four years! Didn’t we come back against Melbourne from 24 at 3/4 time late in the season? Scored 10 goals in the final quarter.
    Funny enough I remember that Melbourne comeback game as I was also in the topics on a Darwin fishing holiday. IIRC it was in April 2003 (post wet season for Barra run off) and we did kick something like 10 goals in the last. SCG night game?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I think that comeback was in the 2003 season, and the first signs of the emerging group

I do remember however there was a game against Melb in the second half of 2005 where - given they were a quality side at that point - we played so well, I started to think: well, maybe, just maybe

If you go to the HOME of Australian Football - Match Details: 2005 R3 Brisbane vs Sydney (which is referenced above), there is a fascinating obituary of the founder of that website and an article fro 2013 which is even better.

It makes us RWO 'fans' pale into absolute insignificance.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Funny enough I remember that Melbourne comeback game as I was also in the topics on a Darwin fishing holiday. IIRC it was in April 2003 (post wet season for Barra run off) and we did kick something like 10 goals in the last. SCG night game?
    Nicks had a great game up forward, didn't he?

[edit]
    Nope, I was thinking of a different game.
    And yes it was 10.4 in the last qtr Rnd 5 2003 (Anzac day)

[edit part 2]
    This is the Matthew Nicks game I was thinking of: Rnd 21 2001 vs Saints
    A sound thrashing. Even Cap'n Kirk got on the board with 3 straight.
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 16th December 2021 at 02:21 PM.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast