Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Barry Round

RIP Barry Round

Barry Round has died at 72. I don't know any of the circumstances, but I understand he has been seriously ill for a little while and was in palliative care before he died. Sad news. Big man in every way.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Although Barry is apparently very sick, friends and family are denying that he has passed.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Barry Round has died at 72. I don't know any of the circumstances, but I understand he has been seriously ill for a little while and was in palliative care before he died. Sad news. Big man in every way.
    Multi organ failure. He was admitted to palliative care a couple of days ago and wasn’t expected to see in the new year. The only organ that shouldn’t have been affect was his heart as it was bigger than Far Lap’s

Senior Player
    Bloody shame at a relatively young age - he was truly a Living Legend.

R.I.P.

“Round and the club’s foremost old South champion, Bobby Skilton, famously ran on to the MCG when the Swans prevailed over West Coast in the 2005 grand final, breaking a 72-year drought for a club that had reclaimed its Lakeside past as “the Bloods.” He remained a devoted supporter of the Swans, attending this year’s grand final.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...24-p5c8ns.html

Senior Player
    Thinking of his footy career, I don't think I have EVER seen a better overhead mark in soaking wet conditions - and the conditions at all grounds in those days were atrocious compared to now.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    He was such a critical part of our emergence in Sydney.

I saw someone posted this on another platform: footage of him celebrating post the siren in ‘05. He was so happy.

Leo Barry mark 2005 AFL Grand Final Sydney Swans MCG - YouTube
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Thinking of his footy career, I don't think I have EVER seen a better overhead mark in soaking wet conditions - and the conditions at all grounds in those days were atrocious compared to now.
    Colossus of a player and incredibly consistent.

In my mid teens, barrel chested Barry was my hero. I remember one Friday night building the run-through for what must have been his 300th. He would always thank us as ran through them.

25 would have appeared on 100's of duffle coats.

A true club legend at a time when we needed them.

Veterans List
    I remember him playing, he was a great player in dark days.

The tributes from key people show he wasn't just a champion player but a champion bloke and so critical through those dark years.

A true Bloods Legend. RIP big fella

The great Roundy carried two cities at a critical time. At the Lake Oval he carried us loyal supporters every week with his strength, determination and ‘hearts in mouth’ kicking. He lead our struggle.
    When he went to Sydney he was the initial face of the Swans and battled against the odds week after week.
    So sad to see the big man gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast