Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leadership group dropped Crouch - picked team V Port

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Gee's, you guys are never happy!!!!
    Maybe people would be happy if the idea had worked and we had actually won the game
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its an awesome stategy for blocking youngsters from entering the senior team.

Those senior players are playing Roos like a cheap violin.

Did the whole squad pick the team, or just the encumbant 22 ?
    Good point..Maybe the 2's should have their own meeting each week as well, and put up a few names of who deserves a close look, for promotion !!
    Then Roosy can earn his money and make the changes ..IMPARTIALLY !

I dunno about this one.

Roos said that the players had significant input into the team selection.

That's a far cry form them selecting the team themselves.

Perhaps the whole teams should on a weekly basis select 22 players who they think deserve to be in the team via a secret ballot.
    Then these results are tallied and the top 22 are published for the players to see.
    Would be a good indicator to the players who is valued and who is highly regarded by their fellow team mates.

But the dangerous territory that would be entered into is that the players who didn't rate amongst their team mates may become a bit disheartened.
    Not ever player sees themselves as resilient blokes who view their lack of high regard as a challenge to perform better.

And that is the problem with what has been done.
    Right now how does Crouch feel?

Not only has he been dropped, but dropped by his fellow team mates.

Probably doesn't put him in the best state of mind in a team oriented sport.

I can see it as being a valuable exercise, but probably best left to an anonymous survey in which the results are not disclosed to any players and kept under the hats of the team management for future reference.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    None of us knows the whole process they went through, so it is hard to draw conclusions.

Maybe (and I am speculating) the process went something like this:

Roos: For this week, guys, you get to pick the team. But if Jude, Benny and Goodsey* you pick yourselves and you don't deliver this week, you'll be back in the twos for a month, minimum. If you think you need a week back there now, just to sharpen up, then that's fine and I'll look at you again next week on the merits of how you played in the twos and how the senior team went.

* those players used as an example because I doubt anyone would have argued that the spots of Craig Bolton, Hall, Kirk or Barry were ever in question.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Fact is that the Tele and Herald (or Age) called it a little differently and that small difference was significant.

Tele: Roos let the leadership group pick the team and Crouchy didn't mind being dumped by his mates as he knew he deserved to be dumped by his mates. Plus, his mates didn't mibnd dumping him either.

Herald - Crouchy says he's ready for Aker. Oh, as a side note, Roos said the leadership group had a significant role in the selection of last weeks team and the decision to drop Crouchy. Now, that doesn't mean they actually made the specific calls but they did take part.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Personally I think it is a stupid idea.
    Same. It should be the coaching panel's job to select players based on form and matchups.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the rise
    It was the right decision to drop Crouch, whoever made it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You cant see the conflict of interest of players picking players ?
    I already commented to that effect.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Same. It should be the coaching panel's job to select players based on form and matchups.
    On the Melbourne radio station SEN Roos said that the senior players were involved in the team selection for last weeks game ONLY. The coaching panel were also involved in this.

Roos said that normally it is only the captains that are involved in the selection process but because of the team's performace it was decided to have the senior players involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Maybe people would be happy if the idea had worked and we had actually won the game
    Ummm, I thought we did!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    None of us knows the whole process they went through, so it is hard to draw conclusions.
    It seeemed quite clear from the Tele article

"We had the whole leadership group pick the team last Wednesday so we just sat and watched,'' Roos said.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    Weren't the leadership group the ones that dropped Davo, and decided when he could come back.

I have suggested that Roos does not like taking responsibility for the less than glorious. Again, it seems that when players need to be dropped, the leadership group pick the team. When Roos picks the team, no one gets dropped.

Surely Crouch is dreaming if he thinks one week in the 2's is enough.

The man with no friends is on the outer I would reckon - unlike Davo, taggers can be replaced.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast