Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: There will be a Sydney Swans AFLW team in the 2022-23 season

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Perhaps it might have been merely a ‘warm and fuzzy feeling’ for you, had you purchased a foundation membership. For me it is a feeling of pride.
    I'm with you Meg. It's great opportunity, looking forward to when we get to supporting them in Melbourne.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Personally I didn’t think of it as ‘forking over’, I was delighted to support my club’s inaugural women’s team. And a bit chuffed to be a foundation member.

Ticket price this year was $10. How many tickets did you expect to get for $50?
    I'm really torn and disappointed by this offering from the club. I am very excited to have our own AFLW team, and I intend to support it passionately. I would like to be involved from the outset - but to be asked to pay $50 for a certificate saying I was one of the first supporters just seems like a gimmick with no substance. And I'm sorry because I would like to be on board from the beginning but I don't want to just feel used or taken advantage of.

It's not I was expecting more games (in fact I think that's a bit of a cheap shot) - but there aren't actually any games included. I have no problem with paying to attend games, and I have no problems with paying for a membership that covers attendance at games. If this is just an opportunity to make a donation then I wish they'd be a bit clearer about that, and possibly also explain how the money will be used. Not even the video aardvark has posted makes it clear how the money will be spent - it just talks about the journey towards entering the competition and how exciting it will be to have our own team (which I agree with). Still, it's easy to imagine that the money will be used to support the AFLW program (you would hope!).

Maybe if I can just think of it as an opportunity to make a donation to the cause and show my support from the beginning (rather than as if they are treating me like someone really superficial and selling me something gimmicky) I will be able to talk myself into signing up.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

I'm guessing we will be asked to pay again for the 22-23 season which will include games. You could just imagine you are paying half your membership now and half in 22-23 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'm really torn and disappointed by this offering from the club. I am very excited to have our own AFLW team, and I intend to support it passionately. I would like to be involved from the outset - but to be asked to pay $50 for a certificate saying I was one of the first supporters just seems like a gimmick with no substance. And I'm sorry because I would like to be on board from the beginning but I don't want to just feel used or taken advantage of.

It's not I was expecting more games (in fact I think that's a bit of a cheap shot) - but there aren't actually any games included. I have no problem with paying to attend games, and I have no problems with paying for a membership that covers attendance at games. If this is just an opportunity to make a donation then I wish they'd be a bit clearer about that, and possibly also explain how the money will be used. Not even the video aardvark has posted makes it clear how the money will be spent - it just talks about the journey towards entering the competition and how exciting it will be to have our own team (which I agree with). Still, it's easy to imagine that the money will be used to support the AFLW program (you would hope!).

Maybe if I can just think of it as an opportunity to make a donation to the cause and show my support from the beginning (rather than as if they are treating me like someone really superficial and selling me something gimmicky) I will be able to talk myself into signing up.
    I think the club has been fairly open and upfront about the nature of the foundation membership. Fact is we are 18 months (or thereabouts) off the AFLW team playing their first match - that in itself given memberships are annual deals usually (noting the Swans did have that 5 year option for some members earlier this year) should really highlight to some degree the nature of what the 'foundation membership' is about.

I suspect they didn't go down the 'donation' talk sort of route on the basis that I expect the Swans Foundation is probably likely to launch a much larger and broader donation drive to help fund the training facility development.

But yes, agree they could of said a bit more about what they intend to spend the money on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Sydney has the most members despite not joining AFLW until 2022/23.
    “To reach record AFLW Club membership figures ahead of the first bounce of the 2022 NAB AFLW season is an outstanding achievement, and we’re excited to see this energy for women’s football continue in the lead up to the opening round on January 7.”

Seems over 3500 people have signed up. Well done people!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Sydney has the most members despite not joining AFLW until 2022/23.
    “To reach record AFLW Club membership figures ahead of the first bounce of the 2022 NAB AFLW season is an outstanding achievement, and we’re excited to see this energy for women’s football continue in the lead up to the opening round on January 7.”

Seems over 3500 people have signed up. Well done people!
    Fantastic support for our AFLW team from Swans fans! To be the club with the most AFLW members when we're still a year off entering the competition is magnificent. My son and I are proud to be Foundation Members! GO BLOODS!!

Wonderful news re swans AFLW

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or area to put this but I think it deserves mentioning that we have our first AFLW signing - Ruby Sargent-Wilson. Wollongong girl who has come through the academy. Super athlete.

It’s game on: Sydney Swans sign first AFLW player

Winter series kicks off on Sunday at 1.15. Live feed at 2022 Winter Series - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants - YouTube

Player list with numbers so you can get to know the girls at Aspiring Swans to kick off Female Winter Series against Giants

A few of the recruits are playing so it could be worth a look!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    What picks does your club have? Indicative AFLW Draft Order revealed
    The four expansion sides share the first 13 picks between them. In the first 13 picks, the Sydney Swans AFLW side has picks 1, 5, 11, 12 and 13.

Pick 1 isn't quite as good as it sounds because the draft isn't an open draft, but is run as a series of state-based drafts. It means that the Swans will pick 5 times in NSW before the Giants have their first pick.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Pick 1 isn't quite as good as it sounds because the draft isn't an open draft, but is run as a series of state-based drafts. It means that the Swans will pick 5 times in NSW before the Giants have their first pick.
    Players can nominate any state they like so we can offer Tier 1 or 2 contracts / jobs to the best players in the draft and get them to nominate NSW the same as Gold Coast did with Rowbottom last year.

Veterans List

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast