Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Are we now a genuine Premiership threat?

In this vein of form is there a real danger H&A game remaining ?
    Mate of mine reckons Norfs..

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Melbourne could still fall below us.
    People keep overlooking this. My prediction that we would finish third on the ladder is predicted on Melbourne losing two of their next three (which I think is a distinct possibility).

There is no certainty in football, but the suggestion that it is simply a two horse race between Port and the Swans for fourth place (while the top three are set) is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Considering the form of North, the fact that our earlier game against the Saints was close and we got belted by GC, I would say they are all danger games. I don’t know if one is more of a danger than another, but the Kangaroos midfield have been playing quite well - although losing a quality player like Cunnington will likely hurt them.

Nevertheless, we should go in with the confidence that we can beat all three, but only if we play well. If we are off, we will lose the unexpected (and our shot at top four).

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    People keep overlooking this. My prediction that we would finish third on the ladder is predicted on Melbourne losing two of their next three (which I think is a distinct possibility).

There is no certainty in football, but the suggestion that it is simply a two horse race between Port and the Swans for fourth place (while the top three are set) is ridiculous.
    100%. Melbourne still have to prove they can turn up when they're expected to win. They're a great chance to lose in an upset in the next few weeks.

Senior Player
    It's the same as always. If we are off by 5% and these other supposedly weaker teams see it and lift, then we will lose.

Earlier in the year, I believed that we could win 11 games this year. It was a belief based on the notion that the competition was more even than many believed and that we were undermanned last year and performed admirably given the playing list available. I had no idea the difference a change in playing style would make nor did I anticipate the amazing advantage the recruitment of Hickey would make to our midfield.
    I still have doubts about the amount of pressure our back 6 can withstand without winning more clearances and contested ball but there is genuine hope, and more than that a Joie d’Vivre abut this group that invites celebration of their efforts.
    Can they win? I am not sure but to do so they will have to win 3 more home and away, hope that PA lose 2/3 and then win 3 games straight or 3/4 against the best in the competition.
    I believe.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    While on form you wouldn't expect Gold Coast to be a tough last round game, I think it could be. Stewart Dew on more than one occasion in recent years seems to have taken great delight in figuring out ways to dismantle our game.

Every game is a danger game these days. So they should all be treated that way. I hope the boys remember that. But I would rather lose one of these and win finals. Have our stutter before the finals so to speak. I am not sure that would make us top four though. It probably could if the others lose 2 and we only lose 1 and the other two are huge wins.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

we need to run into finals in a rich vein of form. so win all three is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    we need to run into finals in a rich vein of form. so win all three is the only way to go.
    I don't agree. In 2012 we lost 3 of our last 4 games heading into finals. In 2014 (apologies for even mentioning it) we won 4 of the last 5 and 16 of 18 leading into finals...

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I don't agree. In 2012 we lost 3 of our last 4 games heading into finals. In 2014 (apologies for even mentioning it) we won 4 of the last 5 and 16 of 18 leading into finals...
    In 2014 and 2016 we were an experienced and battle hardened team. This year we are more like the 2012 team except maybe a year or two earlier in development. They haven't yet built the confidence of the 2014 and 2016 teams. Losses can create losses of confidence in younger players. We need to follow Barry's suggestion and keep on a roll. Bring it young Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    In 2014 and 2016 we were an experienced and battle hardened team. This year we are more like the 2012 team except maybe a year or two earlier in development. They haven't yet built the confidence of the 2014 and 2016 teams. Losses can create losses of confidence in younger players. We need to follow Barry's suggestion and keep on a roll. Bring it young Bloods
    If we are "more like the 2012 team" and that team lost 3 of its last 4, I have to disagree. Your argument is contradicted by that fact.