Page 40 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

I didn’t mention Bell because I think he’s solid and strong every game at this level and provides that toughness and backbone ...agree he had a really nice game

Clarke did have a great game ...he was everywhere and he seems to get better as the game went on..I probably didn’t mention him as I thought others showed more skill but he certainly was good
    We know he’ll get the possessions

Ling sometimes does some dodgy little short kicks but he was solid along with the rest of the defence

- - - Updated - - -

Stephens and cor were very good like you noticed in the stats Ludwig
    I also feel like Stephens will be even better at the next level

Veterans List
    I got distracted with other stuff at half time and didn't get back to the match, subsequently missing Naismith's return which I meant to watch. Great to hear he went ok and got through unscathed.

McDonald and Ling really pressing their cases for consideration.
    If we're going to manage Buddy, it would be reasonable for him to miss the Perth trip, and have Logan come in.

Stephens seemed to be working better both ways. Would love to see it for another fortnight to really bang the door down and force selection.

Would love to see Ling get a game soon

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I see from the stats that Clarke had 40 disposals + 3 goals, so must have had a good game with those numbers.

Stephens with 37 disposals. COR with 27 and Ling with 21 seem good numbers if they both played in defence.
    Reckon Stephens touched every blade of grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I see from the stats that Clarke had 40 disposals + 3 goals, so must have had a good game with those numbers.

Stephens with 37 disposals. COR with 27 and Ling with 21 seem good numbers if they both played in defence.
    I would like to see some tracker numbers on Clarke and Stephens, as both ran relentlessly. Stephens occasionally had me wondering, 'wasn't he just in the forward line, how is he now getting a possession in the back pocket?" Both had very good games, although occasionally, a Clarke chip would put a team mate under pressure.

O'Riordan was a driving force in the second half, rebounding up the wing. Ling had plenty of involvement and showed his twinkle toes on a couple of occasions. I thought all of our defence played well. I'd be perfectly happy if Gould was picked to make his debut. O'Connor showed a few glimpses. Brand kept Collingwood's Cox under control.

Up forward, Amartey, McDonald and Sheather were all dangerous. Amartey took some strong grabs; both in a pack and on the lead. Things tended to happen when McDonald was near it. And Sheather probably had his most involved game.

In the midfield, Taylor had plenty of classy touches, interspersed with the occasional bit of butchery. Bell copped a head knock, came back with a bandaged head, and somehow that seemed to suit him. Was really tough in the contest, and encouragingly, he had a few telling inside 50s, where he put it on the chest of a leading forward.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I would like to see some tracker numbers on Clarke and Stephens, as both ran relentlessly. Stephens occasionally had me wondering, 'wasn't he just in the forward line, how is he now getting a possession in the back pocket?" Both had very good games, although occasionally, a Clarke chip would put a team mate under pressure.

O'Riordan was a driving force in the second half, rebounding up the wing. Ling had plenty of involvement and showed his twinkle toes on a couple of occasions. I thought all of our defence played well. I'd be perfectly happy if Gould was picked to make his debut. O'Connor showed a few glimpses. Brand kept Collingwood's Cox under control.

Up forward, Amartey, McDonald and Sheather were all dangerous. Amartey took some strong grabs; both in a pack and on the lead. Things tended to happen when McDonald was near it. And Sheather probably had his most involved game.

In the midfield, Taylor had plenty of classy touches, interspersed with the occasional bit of butchery. Bell copped a head knock, came back with a bandaged head, and somehow that seemed to suit him. Was really tough in the contest, and encouragingly, he had a few telling inside 50s, where he put it on the chest of a leading forward.
    Sheather played a good game and looks promising. Amartey took some good marks but is a selfish player who had chances to short pass to a player in a better position, but chooses the 50m bomb everytime. Clarke seem to move better than before with his elusive skills. Naismith looked a class above his rival. Still not convinced on Ling, some poor kicks and decision making.

Dare I say it but I was really impressed by Naismith's tap work. Literally presented it on a platter for our mids and his work around the ground was pretty good, especially considering how long he's been out. Might be an option to play 2 ruckmen at some point..........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Sheather played a good game and looks promising. Amartey took some good marks but is a selfish player who had chances to short pass to a player in a better position, but chooses the 50m bomb everytime. Clarke seem to move better than before with his elusive skills. Naismith looked a class above his rival. Still not convinced on Ling, some poor kicks and decision making.
    I've watched all the VFL games this year and Ling looks to be awful with his disposal. Him and Clarke should set up a butchery business.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Dare I say it but I was really impressed by Naismith's tap work. Literally presented it on a platter for our mids and his work around the ground was pretty good, especially considering how long he's been out. Might be an option to play 2 ruckmen at some point..........
    Dare away, there's always room in a Ruckman's bandwagon.

Giddyup and Yeehaa!
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Dare away, there's always room in a Ruckman's bandwagon.

Giddyup and Yeehaa!
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. If 2 rucks is becoming less of a point of difference, seeing as the Saints and others are doing it, why not play 3? or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. If 2 rucks is becoming less of a point of difference, seeing as the Saints and others are doing it, why not play 3? or more?
    If we play a 2nd ruckman then we have to drop a forward. We run deep in the small/medium forward type player, so we are already short of open spots up forward. We can play the 2nd ruckman if we need another tall target, but this is unlikely unless we are hit with a lot of injuries.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Best game I've seen from Joel Amartey. Lots of marks and very lively up forward.
    Gould had another good game, he must be getting closer. Ling on the other hand has been heading in the opposite direction.
    Clarke, Taylor and Grey had lots of the ball but didn't scream promotion - Stephens did too and seems closer.
    Sheather too was good.
    Big Sam had some beautifully directed taps to mobile Swans, he took a mark and made a tackle but seemed to do a fair bit of ambling when getting around the ground.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 16th May 2021 at 06:39 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.