Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 v GWS

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    🙄

As serious as a heart attack atm these last qtr fadeouts
    Sorry waswan. I was was referring only to L's more surrealist ruck pronoucements. They used to suck me in, but taking them with a grain of salt, I can now just smile and nod, and move along without getting worked up. Better for my blood pressure.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Richmond fans have close associations to the MCG. In fact many are MCC members.
    Plus when you get 15 home games a year you can be a bit picky which ones you go to. I doubt an MCC member is going to buy a ticket to watch GC with the peasentry in the upper decks of docklands.
    Interesting isn't it? This bond that develops between football fans and the actual stadiums their teams play in, and how
    it develops to the point where their love of the stadium supplants their affection for the team. I wonder what Freud would
    have made of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If you look at tapes of Hawkins leadups, you will find that he puts distance on just about everyone when he's heading for a well placed ball. The defender has no chance and just gives up, so it appears that Hawkins is beating the defender with pace, when it's just that Tom has gotten a good jump on the ball and got separation earl on. Speed is not even a factor, because he's so huge, there's no way to make it a marking contest.

Gould is not slow. Those who follow the VFL games will know that. He may be slow off the mark, because his reaction time is not the quickest and he doesn't always read the play correctly.

In his first year and well into his 2nd year, Aliir was routinely beaten on the lead and he had lots of trouble reading the flight of the ball. It took time, but eventually he worked things out.

I don't know if Gould will be a good AFL defender. I'm only saying that we have a unique opportunity to find out in these weeks before Rampe returns. Why not use it?
    Spot on- we’ve nothing to lose as we need to find out if there’s an AFL level footballer there, and also who else do we have at present? It takes a while to adjust so it’s totally unfair to judge a player until he’s played at least 10 or so games. To bring a new player in for 1-2 games, like we have done on several occasions, makes no sense to me. We’ve all had some expectations of Gould- now is the perfect time to give him a proper go-Horse should say to him “ son, you’re in for the next 3-4 games: show us what you’ve got!”

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Interesting isn't it? This bond that develops between football fans and the actual stadiums their teams play in, and how
    it develops to the point where their love of the stadium supplants their affection for the team. I wonder what Freud would
    have made of it.
    Richmond would also have an odd demographic of fans. I would say at least 50% are -mid-late 50's or older from the 1970/80 period of dominance. There would be a sprinkling of new fans after that who just liked the song, and then a big uptick in younger fans after the last 7 years or so.
    Those old coggers would be a quite discerning on when and where they go to games.

There was an interesting snippet from Kingsley post game address to players. Last few minutes of the game, Kingsley sent Bedford to go hard tag on Mills in defense. "arm across him". Something along the lines of "They've been playing the wicket keeper role for the last f-ing 15 years" in reference to swans setup in defense. This may explain why Mills wasnt picking up Toby.

Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Big Cat,

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on Gould. Tomahawk is no Usain Bolt, and to be able to put distance on Gould over 15 meters is a major concern.

I hope I am wrong but unless he can adjust to the pace at the top level quickly he will not make it
    Hard ask for anyone to come on as sub and man up on the All Australian captain in your 2nd game . Let the guy start a game and get a feel for the heat early .
    There is some hard task managers on here . Imagine if we wrote off Chad , Jack, and McVeigh in there first few outings .
    He made the VFL team of the year last year for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    Hard ask for anyone to come on as sub and man up on the All Australian captain in your 2nd game . Let the guy start a game and get a feel for the heat early .
    There is some hard task managers on here . Imagine if we wrote off Chad , Jack, and McVeigh in there first few outings .
    He made the VFL team of the year last year for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good Point. Chad Warner's first game was 8 disposals and I remember Mcveigh when he had hair playing a very ordinary first season. At times in the VFL Gould has looked the goods so just needs some time to learn the trade.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Good Point. Chad Warner's first game was 8 disposals and I remember Mcveigh when he had hair playing a very ordinary first season. At times in the VFL Gould has looked the goods so just needs some time to learn the trade.
    Papers stamped. Other teams agree. No interest from anyone when he came out of contract.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    To put a little perspective on it, this is Goulds 4th year in the Swans system. He came the same year as Chad Warner. I agree big players take longer to develop, and I hope this is the case with Gould, but he needs to show something this year or his career may be over.

Probably the best scenario is for him to go back to the VFL and totally dominate based on the experience gained at the top level, and then come back into the seniors for a few games

With Rampe on the injured list for 8-10 weeks, I would like to see Gould selected for a number of games and see how he performs.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    With Rampe on the injured list for 8-10 weeks, I would like to see Gould selected for a number of games and see how he performs.
    We can’t afford to tank games. A win is more important that confirming a bloke can’t play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Richmond would also have an odd demographic of fans. I would say at least 50% are -mid-late 50's or older from the 1970/80 period of dominance. There would be a sprinkling of new fans after that who just liked the song, and then a big uptick in younger fans after the last 7 years or so.
    Those old coggers would be a quite discerning on when a
    nd where they go to games.
    Living in Sydney , you're only guessing. You don't understand how support in Melbourne is handed down through generations.