Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to R20 V Dons

Regular in the Side

Changes to R20 V Dons

Date and Venue Updates:
    Essendon v Sydney Swans at the Gabba, 7.40pm AEST on Saturday

Mills and Cunningham will finish their isolation on Tuesday and they will be back. Ronke and one of Bell/Rowbottom will be rested. With Buddy suspended for 1 week, McDonald will be back.
    Last edited by Aaron; 26th July 2021 at 08:29 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    Amartey should be in before McD , was doing his role OK , replaced by Reid and needed a rest anyway , had his rest now bring him back now

Most similar to Bud too

In: Mills, Cunningham, McDonald
    Out: Franklin, Ronke, Bell

Agree that the decision is between dropping RB or Bell. I'd prefer he didn't have to, but I think Franklin's absence pushes Heeney forward a bit more. This means I think RB will be retained to provide more midfield support.

Warming the Bench
    mills,cunningham,mcdonald out ronke,franklin bell
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Yes that looks the most likely scenario, Mcdonald back. I think Rowie will go back to the reserves to get some form on the board. Mills will be a big in.​ Ronke​ will come out for Cunningham I should think.

We play at the Gabba. Not a happy hunting ground for us. But we are in pretty good form. Barring slow starts. This week we really do have to be switched on from the start. Last weekend Essendon and GWS produced a total of 16 goals and only 39 scoring shots between them. GWS like a strangle but they find it difficult to put a big score up.

Bombers have had a few big scores but they play that set pattern that can be exploited. They back their mids in. No tagging. We will tag either Merritt or Parrish or possibly Stringer. If they are not on with their disposal they turn the ball over, a lot. Against GWS thus was very obvious. Not only that Parrish was tagged out of the game. Nick Hind had a defensive forward playing on him and lost nearly all his influence and consequently was always under pressure. We will probably play Will or Belly on Parish. They have the pace to go with him.

We have the game plan and if we use our passing game we will get forward entries. Essendon allow that.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Most similar to Bud too
    In what way? Not sure we have someone who plays a similar game (although It is hard to work out how we play Bud at times).

It will be an interesting setup. I wonder if they will go for something different (e.g. small, quick targets) or look to play a straight lead up role (Logan or McLean), or use Reid as a permanent forward.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    In what way? Not sure we have someone who plays a similar game (although It is hard to work out how we play Bud at times).

It will be an interesting setup. I wonder if they will go for something different (e.g. small, quick targets) or look to play a straight lead up role (Logan or McLean), or use Reid as a permanent forward.
    Obviously no one plays a similar game to Buddy , he is an all time great ! Amartey is athletic , wins more ground balls than marks similar to the champ , McD and Mclean are more marking types and not as suited to our current group of pressure smalls

Bell stays

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Obviously no one plays a similar game to Buddy , he is an all time great ! Amartey is athletic , wins more ground balls than marks similar to the champ , McD and Mclean are more marking types and not as suited to our current group of pressure smalls

Bell stays
    Mcdonald is a leading forward more than a pack marker. I think Amartey can take a huge pack mark but yes he is incredibly mobile. But then again so is Mcdonald. We need to shutdown Hind.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    In: Mills, Cunningham, McDonald
    Out: Franklin, Ronke, Bell

Agree that the decision is between dropping RB or Bell. I'd prefer he didn't have to, but I think Franklin's absence pushes Heeney forward a bit more. This means I think RB will be retained to provide more midfield support.
    That's what I'd do and your reasoning is sound, but suspect they'll drop Rowbottom and retain Bell.

Suspect Ben has played his last senior game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yes that looks the most likely scenario, Mcdonald back. I think Rowie will go back to the reserves to get some form on the board. Mills will be a big in.​ Ronke​ will come out for Cunningham I should think.

We play at the Gabba. Not a happy hunting ground for us. But we are in pretty good form. Barring slow starts. This week we really do have to be switched on from the start. Last weekend Essendon and GWS produced a total of 16 goals and only 39 scoring shots between them. GWS like a strangle but they find it difficult to put a big score up.

Bombers have had a few big scores but they play that set pattern that can be exploited. They back their mids in. No tagging. We will tag either Merritt or Parrish or possibly Stringer. If they are not on with their disposal they turn the ball over, a lot. Against GWS thus was very obvious. Not only that Parrish was tagged out of the game. Nick Hind had a defensive forward playing on him and lost nearly all his influence and consequently was always under pressure. We will probably play Will or Belly on Parish. They have the pace to go with him.

We have the game plan and if we use our passing game we will get forward entries. Essendon allow that.
    I agree that we’ll tag Parish and Hind.

The SCG game against the Bombers was the first time that the Slick Swans lost their mojo and began to be constipated in ball movement.

I believe we’ve taken forward steps since that game (particularly the last month) so hope we can dominate them.

Would love to see RB stay but probably the changes you’ve flagged.

Also didn’t Hooker destroy McCartin last time around. Hoping that won’t happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    mills,cunningham,mcdonald out ronke,franklin bell
    Agree.

When you have Reid as back up ruckman you can play another pure tall forward as opposed to a hybrid ruckman / forward that Amertey and McLean are.

Good opportunity for McDonald. If he plays really well then he may put pressure on Hayward’s spot as 3rd tall.

According to one poster, Amartey may be being held back as Reid and Hickey have child births coming up and may have to enter NSW. This will lead to two week delays in their availability to play outside NSW. Amartey may be very important in covering that period and can’t afford any injuries now.

I would always pick Rowbottom over Bell. Rowbottom has more talent and if he needs to play some time up forward has demonstrated that he’s a decent kick for goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Agree.

According to one poster, Amartey may be being held back as Reid and Hickey have child births coming up and may have to enter NSW..
    Both Kim Reid and Chlo Hickey are currently in quarantine in Brisbane with their respective toddlers.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast