Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild with brains

Rebuild with brains

I Know, I know long time readers will recognise this rant, BUT.....I am right....I am (unfortunately) right.

We probably have 3 senior players with IQ over 110 and it really hurts us. Footy Brain footy schmain! We have too many blokes who are just not smart. Almost an entire backline, actually.

Teddy, teddy, I have not doubt you are a lovely bloke...courageous and a good contested mark....but sheesh, is it possible that anyone has ever done anything stupider than NOT kicking the football with 5 seconds to go in the quarter???

At least most cough ups involve a skill error. But the problem with Marty, LRT, Bevo, Rhyce and Teddy (and that's just the backline!!) is that the errors are between the ears and are seemingly unfixable.

So congratulations to the recruiting staff of late for getting Smith, Bird, Vez and Meredith. It's a start, at least.

Maybe it's about recognising your own weaknesses...as someone said here once before, the problem with our backs is that they have a think...being under the illusion that thinking will allow them to come up with an option that is better than the instinctive, first half-baked idea they had.....NO IT WON'T!!!!

Alan Didak can hold on to the ball and weigh the seventeen different propositions which spring to mind and then choose the most effective one....YOU CAN'T! Jam it on the boot or hand to the first available place where Red has a better chance of getting it than the other blokes....that's it!

I hereby propose that the FIRST element tested in possible recruits for the next 3 years (at least) be IQ.

They might not always be Rising Star winners but a midfield of Kirks and S. Blacks (plus a couple of blokes who can kick!!) should be the aim seeing as we won't have 10 top 10 picks to work with. Intelligent players get better with age. Once they become experienced they don't drift out of games.

Getting Schmidt on the park should be a top priority....he is a skillful midfielder with real brains and could actually make a difference soon.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Senior Player
    A bit harsh on LRT and Beva.
    Shaw has done well for us.
    Teddy is decent enough even though he was not great last night.

Mattner - hard as nails , strong worth ethic , terrible decison making even when not under real pressure.

Most of the veterans under review - the ones acknowledged as no certainty to play next year , by the club and those players themselves - will probably go end of this season.
    Heath Grundy should join them.

Not sure if Didak is all that smart...

By your reasoning Didak is a genius while Brett Kirk is a pleb.
    Last edited by liz; 21st June 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Personal insults

In case it has escaped your attention, there is no countdown clock at the game, so Ted would have no idea how much time is left on the clock. That being the case it is a stupid criticism of him.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDuckling View Post
    By your reasoning Didak is a genius while Brett Kirk is a pleb.
    Read properly...Kirk is a genius.....I said that he is the perfect example of the players we should recruit if we don't have high picks to get the elite talent.

Didak is a very, very intelligent man as evidenced by the way he plays football.....just because his emotional development is suspect doesn't mean much....E.Q. is not the same as I.Q. He doesn't mess up and have brain fades on the field, he makes brilliant decisions.
    Last edited by liz; 21st June 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    A bit harsh on LRT and Beva.
    Shaw has done well for us.
    Teddy is decent enough even though he was not great last night.
    That's the attitude that has led us here, see. they're not going to get any better and we aren't going to win many games until we have players playing better than they are.It's not harsh at all, these players regularly make terrible decisions that would see them delisted by the likes of Collingwood....oh yeah...that did happen to Rhyce didn't it? There's a lot of upside to his game, but his lack of brain on the field means that, for me, he's not worth it. Ditto Bevo and Marty. LRT can stay, 'cos he's tall. Teddy, I've had enough (and we all know that he doesn't count as "tall" 'cos he can't play KP)

As I have mentioned previously in other trading / recruiting threads, we seriously lack pace in all areas of the game. We need a pacy defender, midfielder and forward, although hopefully Veszpremi will fill that well. We also need 1-2 tall leading targets and hopefully Lewis Johnston will be one of those.

Lack of pace led to Didak carving us up last night.

Unfortunately as much as he has been a great club stalwart, it is time for Crouch to go out gracefully. His body is just not holding together sadly and he has lost one of his great abilities...pace.
    Swannies for life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Not sure if Didak is all that smart...
    Hehehe. Did you hear him interviewed after the game?

Question from one of the commentaors: "Where do you think the team is now as a group?" (or words to that effect).

Response from Didak: (confused blinking into the camera) "Um... ah... well we're fourth...".

To his credit though, he does know how to have a good time (allegedly).

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    In case it has escaped your attention, there is no countdown clock at the game, so Ted would have no idea how much time is left on the clock. That being the case it is a stupid criticism of him.
    the players always know ho long there is to play...and even if he thought there was a minute left, it was still and appalling decision to get tackled rather than kick it. he must have been the only person in the entire stadium who thought he had time to muck around with it.

Officially on my delist list now. Had enough of this crap.

50 metre penalty was a bit harsh, but....like Bazza....why even give the umpire the option? NOT THINKING. We are the Swans and WE KNOW they will crucify us at every opportunity.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    As I have mentioned previously in other trading / recruiting threads, we seriously lack pace in all areas of the game.
    As someone else pointed out last week, pace is far less important than kicking skills / decision making. We didn't lose last night because Didak outran his opponent a few times. We lost because for all the hard ball we won, we couldn't deliver it with any purpose into our forward 50. How many uncontested marks did the Pies take directly from Swans' kicks going forward?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to which decision you think he should have made!
    Kick it, perhaps?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast