Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Goodes and booing

Am I drawing too long a bow when I compare the swift and universal condemnation of Chris Gayle (some debate about whether it is getting OTT but the general consensus is that he was out of order) to the lack of support that Adam Goodes got from the AFL and wider football community.

It would appear that being called baby is not acceptable but that when you object to being called an ape you are an attention seeker.

And as an aside if Gill and the AFL are really serious about eliminating institutionalised sexism then Sam Newman should have been sacked many years ago

MP, I think there is a comparison to be made but not the one that I think you are suggesting. Sadly there are a large number of apologists/defenders of Gayle telling those who are not prepared to laugh off Gayle's comments that we are the problem: that we need to get a sense of humour and join in the fun. I suspect they are the very same people who told Adam Goodes that calling a black man an ape is just a joke that should have been shrugged off. In both cases I have felt as though I am in a time warp and been transported back to the 1960s.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Am I drawing too long a bow when I compare the swift and universal condemnation of Chris Gayle (some debate about whether it is getting OTT but the general consensus is that he was out of order) to the lack of support that Adam Goodes got from the AFL and wider football community.

It would appear that being called baby is not acceptable but that when you object to being called an ape you are an attention seeker.

And as an aside if Gill and the AFL are really serious about eliminating institutionalised sexism then Sam Newman should have been sacked many years ago
    Sam Newman isn't employed by the AFL or an an AFL Sanctioned show so they have nothing to do with actioning Sam Newman's comments. People defending Gayle is no different to many people defending Goodes on the Booing issue - just depends which side of both issues that you happen to be sitting on.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

There is no real comparison here.
    Ape etc, compared to public humiliation.
    And that's what it was with Gayle, public humiliation, rather than sexism.
    At a party is wouldn't have been an issue and would have just made her and others possibly cringe.
    Interesting that Sam Newman can do what he does and nobody bats and eyelid because it's his staus quo.

Worse for me was the commentary team who took it further, and made light of it, before being told to apologise by their bosses.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Didn't think this thread (or similar ones would be bumped but here it is.

On back page life last night Kerry O'Keefe said the actions against Adam were 'sanctimonious and tall poppy syndrome', but the comments made to Paddy Ryder and Eddie Betts were 'racism'.

WHAT!!! Adam was called an ape, Eddie Betts was called an ape. Where is the difference?
    Not sure what the comment to Paddy was.

Where was the outcry for Adam that this has caused? Don't get me wrong, I applaud any action to call out these people, but it all comes a little late for Adam.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I think history will look kindly on Goodes, even if he was painted as a sensitive villain at the time.

Warming the Bench
    This still makes me sick. The AFL were so weak regarding the booing, Gil Mclachlan was even caught laughing at it at first.
    I also think the players association and the other indigenous players should have made a stand, it is ok coming out and saying to their supporters don't do it we don't think it is right, but had they showed some guts and just stopped and sat down or even walked off every time the booing started,that is what is making a stand the AFL would have had to do something about it.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Where was the outcry for Adam that this has caused? Don't get me wrong, I applaud any action to call out these people, but it all comes a little late for Adam.
    There was an outcry of support for Adam. The reasonable majority spoke up, although I agree it was sometimes hard to hear them over the noisy began racist minority.

Maybe it taught Australia a few lessons that are coming to fruition now.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    There was an outcry of support for Adam. The reasonable majority spoke up, although I agree it was sometimes hard to hear them over the noisy began racist minority.

Maybe it taught Australia a few lessons that are coming to fruition now.
    I agree it has come to fruition now, but it was a little slow (from the AFL) for Adam. They didn't recognise it as racism early enough.

Cudos to those in the industry that did stand up for Adam. One that comes to mind was Bob Murphy when he wore #37 for the tossing of the coin in one game.

On back page life last night Kerry O'Keefe said the actions against Adam were 'sanctimonious and tall poppy syndrome', but the comments made to Paddy Ryder and Eddie Betts were 'racism'.

WHAT!!! Adam was called an ape, Eddie Betts was called an ape. Where is the difference?

I saw Back Page last night and was very disappointed by KOK's comments. I like the former Test leg-spinner but he dismissed the whole disgraceful Goodes booing saga as self-inflicted. That's just wrong and such opinions are the cause of ongoing angst for me from many angles in my wider social and family circles.

As stated previously on this thread, I too believe the fact that this incident (and future incidents) will get so much more condemnation will prove to be The Great Man's legacy.

Veterans List

Is that the cricket commentator O'Keefe? It was...stick to cricket you flog. I wonder if back in his days if there were any unsavoury comments made on the field about West Indian cricketers.
    Last edited by liz; 12th April 2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: fixed quotation format

I didn't quite catch what O'Keefe mumbled on The BPL , I don't think other panelists did either.
    Kelly, Crash and Squires should have pulled him up right there if they had caught what he said.
    I really enjoy the show, but in so many high profile places , there is clearly a huge lack of support for Adam.
    Robbo and Whateley should address that tonight .