Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes and Hall of Fame

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This Fitzpatrick statement was the apex of the AFL's miserable handling of it all. Months late, and all about himself.

And by the way, based on some leaks at the time, Fitzpatrick's private view was it was nothing to do with race and all about Adam as an 'upstart'.

An utter piece of .... (can't say it on here).

Mike Fitzpatrick statement on Adam Goodes
    I agree with every pixel of this. I can scarcely say the word Fitzpatrick without wanting to vomit with rage.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...e=abc_news_web

According to this article, he specifically asked for it not to be mentioned before the ceremony as he didn't want it to detract from those who are to be admitted. (Ever gracious towards others.) So someone must have leaked the information and the media (Hun) published it against his wishes.

Typical of Robbo. Always scoop driven, rather than supporting Adam's wishes.

Stay off Twitter if you want to keep you sanity

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    To be fair, he was one of the few media voices in constant and robust support of Goodes at the height of the booing.

And any journo worth his salt that gets that story is going to run with it.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I agree with every pixel of this. I can scarcely say the word Fitzpatrick without wanting to vomit with rage.
    Him and Gil.

I was at a Swans Chairman's Club event in 2016, when in walked Gil.

I was standing next to Richard Colless, who I knew and who knew my views on Gil's handling of the whole thing.

Colless must have sensed me instantly tense, as he straight away just grabbed my arm and said: "don't".

I wanted to smash a plate into Gil's stupid face.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Adam Goodes will always remain a part of Swans legend, and most certainly part of the Swans’ family. Hopefully at some time in the future he is able to be celebrated as he should have been, and should be, but his decision now is entirely his to make. The AFL as an organisation doesn’t deserve the time of day from Adam.
    Mike Fitzpatrick’s vindictiveness towards Sydney as a club, and pettiness towards Adam as a man, says everything you need to know about him. How ironic he used his position in Rio Tinto to justify his “indigenous credentials”.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    This Fitzpatrick statement was the apex of the AFL's miserable handling of it all. Months late, and all about himself.

And by the way, based on some leaks at the time, Fitzpatrick's private view was it was nothing to do with race and all about Adam as an 'upstart'.

An utter piece of .... (can't say it on here).

Mike Fitzpatrick statement on Adam Goodes
    That stuff about his involvement in the mining industry is gag-inducing.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    From the Fitzpatrick statement in 2015.... "I have been fortunate to be a director of the two organisations in Australia which I believe have
    achieved much for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders - Rio Tinto and the AFL". Yep, not just the AFL, but Rio Tinto as well. The twin towers
    of virtue signaling in this country.

It's interesting that you have to accept your induction. Unless you're dead. In that case the Commission has no compunction about awarding the gongs posthumously.

Sometimes nominees turn down Academy Awards, others turn down Nobel prizes, knighthoods, Michelin stars etc. Despite this Academy Awards and Nobel Prizes have been awarded to people adjudged worthy winners despite their declining the offer e.g. George C. Scott and Marlon Brando refused but were awarded the Best Actor Oscar in 1971 & 1973 respectively, Jean-Paul Sartre the Nobel Prize in Literature 1964. I'm not sure what the ethics and etiquette of ignoring the honoree's wishes are but I can certainly see the logic: this award simply represents what we think of you, you are not required to accept it. (This process works well for Razzies and Darwin Awards too - although occasionally winners (like Tom Selleck) have accepted Razzies - can't say the same for Darwin Awards!)

My tentative feeling is that I would ultimately like to see Goodes acknowledged as the Hall of Fame Legend that he is irrespective of whether he wishes to accept the accolade himself. Out of sensitivity and respect for his feelings, I would suggest that this not happen any time soon. However, I can see counter-arguments that it may be improper.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    From the Fitzpatrick statement in 2015.... "I have been fortunate to be a director of the two organisations in Australia which I believe have
    achieved much for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders - Rio Tinto and the AFL". Yep, not just the AFL, but Rio Tinto as well. The twin towers
    of virtue signaling in this country.
    Juukan Gorge! Yes Rio has done a lot in wiping out indigenous history. That of course came after Fitzpatrick's statement.

Senior Player
    It's clear to see just how raw it all still is for almost everyone that posts here. It would be magnified further again for Adam.
    Good on him. Once again a demonstration of his resolute credibility. Forever a Legend for the red and white.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    It was going to come out one way or another when Adam didn't turn up at the event. It was published respectfully enough by Robbo, who i don't usually give my time to

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast