Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to R20 V Dons

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ...Our midfield of Kennedy, Parker, Mills and Hewett is a bit slow, but they're all playing well.
    I don't think Hewett is actually slow. There was a chase on the wing on the weekend (I can't remember the exact details) and assumed it was one of the younger/quicker kids but I was surprised when I saw his back turn and it was #29.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Swans challenging Franklin’s one week suspension at the tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is my best guess as well, but would like to find a place for Melican to counter the tall combo of Hooker and Wright. Maybe RB goes out as well. Blakey looks a good match for a similar type player in Cox.

It we think about the possibility of playing Geelong in finals, we will need 2 legit tall defenders. We can't put Fox or Rampe on Cameron of Hawkins and hope to get away with it.

Our midfield of Kennedy, Parker, Mills and Hewett is a bit slow, but they're all playing well.
    I'd back Rampe and McCartain to take on Cameron and Hawkins. Fox can take on Rohan. Melican might have a few extra cm's and bulk, but is too injury probe and hasn't played enough games. We should stick with the guys who are now starting to gel together into a solid defensive unit.

Ludwig, my main concern with Melican is that the Swans style of play may now have bypassed him. He does not have the pace or attack in his game to replace any of the current backs. But he does give the Swans depth of injuries occur. but needs playing time to gain confidence and fitness. I see Campbell also needs Gametime to gain his fitness and confidence to get back into 22.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    In: Mills, Cunningham, McDonald
    Out: Franklin, Ronke, Bell

Agree that the decision is between dropping RB or Bell. I'd prefer he didn't have to, but I think Franklin's absence pushes Heeney forward a bit more. This means I think RB will be retained to provide more midfield support.
    Bell will not go out. He will do a defensive job on Hind

We need to play McDonald in this game as a lead up forward with Reid in the square and back up ruck. Logan is such a key goal kicking forward and good mark. Will change our look for this game. Just think of Logan leading up for McInernany , Gulden and Blakey. Go Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I agree that we’ll tag Parish and Hind.

The SCG game against the Bombers was the first time that the Slick Swans lost their mojo and began to be constipated in ball movement.

I believe we’ve taken forward steps since that game (particularly the last month) so hope we can dominate them.

Would love to see RB stay but probably the changes you’ve flagged.

Also didn’t Hooker destroy McCartin last time around. Hoping that won’t happen again.
    McCartin had a few bad games early in the season. he has improved immensely. But I think Hooker may get Rampe and McCartin will go to Wright. blakey or fox to take Tippa.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    Ludwig, my main concern with Melican is that the Swans style of play may now have bypassed him. He does not have the pace or attack in his game to replace any of the current backs. But he does give the Swans depth of injuries occur. but needs playing time to gain confidence and fitness. I see Campbell also needs Gametime to gain his fitness and confidence to get back into 22.
    Melican takes about 3 games to show any form. Too much of a risk at this time of the season so he plays 2's for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    McCartin had a few bad games early in the season. he has improved immensely. But I think Hooker may get Rampe and McCartin will go to Wright. blakey or fox to take Tippa.
    Surely Harry gets Tippa? Who gets “the package”?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Surely Harry gets Tippa? Who gets “the package”?
    I'd be happy to see Fox on Stringer when he goes forward. Stringer may beat him a few times but Fox will cause some problems going the other way because Stringer won't be able to match his endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Melican takes about 3 games to show any form. Too much of a risk at this time of the season so he plays 2's for a bit.
    He does tend to need a few runs back from a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'd back Rampe and McCartain to take on Cameron and Hawkins. Fox can take on Rohan. Melican might have a few extra cm's and bulk, but is too injury probe and hasn't played enough games. We should stick with the guys who are now starting to gel together into a solid defensive unit.
    But we do have a weakness here that needs to be remedied. When we get beaten down back, it's often a tall forward out-muscling out defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    This is just wrong about Melican. Has has good closing speed and is by no means slow. He has good attacking instincts and loves to attack. I don't know if this is the week when Melican has done enough in training and the reserves to be fully fit and ready to play AFL, but when he is, I think he should play. We need a 2nd tall defender. Forwards these days are just too big to handle by little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That's why I would like to get Melican back sooner rather than later. I know we are shooting for 4th place, but chances are we will end up where we are now. Playing Melican won't change things. The last thing we would want to do is be forced to bring Melican in for the finals without any recent AFL experience. Let's get him in now.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast