Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Captaincy - Leadership Group changes?

I’m not across leadership matters at the club so would appreciate the insight into this question:

Why isn’t Heeney in the leadership group and why doesn’t the club see him as captaincy material?

He seems like a guy who would inspire you with brilliance or a big physical hit. He looks like he would be first in if a physical fight ensued. He’s the clubs most talented player apart from Franklin.

The club flog his image (along with Franklin) for all it’s worth.

Does anyone who knows Heeney know his feelings on leadership? Does he want leadership?

They have Papley in the leadership group who gave away three umpire abuse free kicks last year. It’s not leadership in my opinion when you put the ball in the opposition’s hands three times through petulant behaviour.

Where is Heeney?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    I’m not across leadership matters at the club so would appreciate the insight into this question:

Why isn’t Heeney in the leadership group and why doesn’t the club see him as captaincy material?

He seems like a guy who would inspire you with brilliance or a big physical hit. He looks like he would be first in if a physical fight ensued. He’s the clubs most talented player apart from Franklin.

Does anyone who knows Heeney know his feelings on leadership? Does he want leadership?

They have Papley in the leadership group who gave away three umpire abuse free kicks last year. It’s not leadership in my opinion when you put the ball in the opposition’s hands three times through petulant behaviour.

Where is Heeney?
    Great Captains are often not the best player in the team. However, they make up for this by displayng attributes that others look up to and are able to set standards on and off the field. Garry Ablett Snr was one of the most naturally gifted players to ever play AFL but he never captained Geelong. Plugger never captained St Kilda or us. Dusty is not Richmond Captain. I could go on ...

Mills clearly has great leadership attributes and the respect of his team mates. He is also a might fine player!

Where is Heeney?
    Papley wasn’t even in our top 5 for frees against last season and Buddy, Parker and Rampe were all above him.
    Last edited by goswannies; 3rd February 2022 at 01:06 AM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

Where is Heeney?
    I said earlier, and this is no more than a hunch and a theory, that he mightn’t want it.

Heeney is a pretty cheery, happy-go-lucky personality. A couple of years ago he had a season in the leadership group, then went out. Maybe it’s simply not something he aspires to.

You can still offer leadership in all sorts of ways - from the training track to on field excellence - without wanting it to be a formalised obligation.

Whereas Mills has appeared attuned to it from the moment he walked in the club. Apparently, in his first year, he was organising and marshalling the defence and has a supreme footy IQ.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I said earlier, and this is no more than a hunch and a theory, that he mightn’t want it.

Heeney is a pretty cheery, happy-go-lucky personality. A couple of years ago he had a season in the leadership group, then went out. Maybe it’s simply not something he aspires to.

You can still offer leadership in all sorts of ways - from the training track to on field excellence - without wanting it to be a formalised obligation.

Whereas Mills has appeared attuned to it from the moment he walked in the club. Apparently, in his first year, he was organising and marshalling the defence and has a supreme footy IQ.
    Also, I'm reasonably sure that our leadership positions are elected positions. That tends to leave two possibilities. One; he stood for election, but didn't get enough votes. Or two; he didn't stand for election. So, while I suppose coaches and staff could hint who they want, who gets to be in the leadership group, is a matter for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    it's illegal to walk around wielding guns like that
    I have to say he looked the most massive I've ever seen him. I remember him being interviewed on that Ch7 Sunday morning footy show one time a couple of years ago and he was asked - "is it true that you don't do any weight training?" - and he replied to the effect that it was true he didn't do weights for his upper body/arms. Seeing him in that video, that is really hard to believe. I'm not aware of him having a side hustle woodchopping or working as a removalist. And, even now, hoiking Emilio around wouldn't account for it. Let alone running and kicking a ball.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Also, I'm reasonably sure that our leadership positions are elected positions. That tends to leave two possibilities. One; he stood for election, but didn't get enough votes. Or two; he didn't stand for election. So, while I suppose coaches and staff could hint who they want, who gets to be in the leadership group, is a matter for the players.
    My understanding (based on I don't remember what) is slightly different. First, although players vote for their leaders, I didn't think you had to nominate yourself for consideration. Second, I'm not sure if the club has a power of veto. Well, clearly they would, even if they don't exercise it but I don't know how much it commits to staying out of the process. If I (or anyone else) get(s) the chance to ask the players, let's try and find out.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Pushing for Selection
    My best guess re Heeney not been part of the leadership.group is that he may not "drive the standards" as well as the others or perhaps doesn't go the extra mile to help a young player or support an injured one. Pure guesswork though.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    My understanding (based on I don't remember what) is slightly different. First, although players vote for their leaders, I didn't think you had to nominate yourself for consideration. Second, I'm not sure if the club has a power of veto. Well, clearly they would, even if they don't exercise it but I don't know how much it commits to staying out of the process. If I (or anyone else) get(s) the chance to ask the players, let's try and find out.
    I suppose you could have an election where everyone on the list could receive votes, but I just assumed that the players who were interested would nominate themselves. Otherwise, you could end up with someone being elected, who wasn't all that interested in being a leader. But of course, I shouldn't just assume.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I suppose you could have an election where everyone on the list could receive votes, but I just assumed that the players who were interested would nominate themselves. Otherwise, you could end up with someone being elected, who wasn't all that interested in being a leader. But of course, I shouldn't just assume.
    I found out a bit more about how it works: players don't nominate. All players vote 6-5-4-3-2-1. I think the players stand up and read out their votes to the group i.e. it's not a secret ballot. The votes are tallied to determine the winner. The club does not intervene at all.

I imagine, but I don't know, that JPK might have withdrawn himself from candidacy to be captain after the vote. Similarly, I imagine that anyone who got elected and who wasn't keen would say so after the votes were in and could decline a leadership role that they didn't want.

Veteran Site Admin
    I found out a bit more about how it works: players don't nominate. All players vote 6-5-4-3-2-1. I think the players stand up and read out their votes to the group i.e. it's not a secret ballot. The votes are tallied to determine the winner. The club does not intervene at all.

I imagine, but I don't know, that JPK might have withdrawn himself from candidacy to be captain after the vote. Similarly, I imagine that anyone who got elected and who wasn't keen would say so after the votes were in and could decline a leadership role that they didn't want.
    Do the players actually vote for the captain(s) specifically, or just the leadership group? My understanding was that they voted for the leadership group but that the captains were appointed by the coaching panel.

Ta. Not sure how I feel about players reading out their votes; as opposed to a secret ballot. Though I suppose that it stops some spoilt rotten narcissist, claiming that they won an election that they undoubtedly lost. Although, we probably don't have any of those in our team, as I assume that they're weeded out in the recruitment process.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast