Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swannies players and staff covid positive

Season 2022 will be won by the club with the deepest list - I suspect every listed player wi be required at some stage in 2022.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I hope the players and staff who are affected make quick and uneventful recoveries. Get well soon.

Incidentally, the same applies to any players from any club - or anywhere else - who may contract Covid-19 in the future. It's nasty and I don't want anyone to contract it and suffer.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Season 2022 will be won by the club with the deepest list - I suspect every listed player wi be required at some stage in 2022.
    Definitely agree Ralph it will be a key factor.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    I thought you were going to complete that sentence this way:

'Season 2022 will be won by the club ... which best manages the risks of COVID'.

I agree that some infection is probably inevitable, but clubs should anticipate the risks of infection and takes measures to mitigate them. I expect us to be at the forefront of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought you were going to complete that sentence this way:

'Season 2022 will be won by the club ... which best manages the risks of COVID'.

I agree that some infection is probably inevitable, but clubs should anticipate the risks of infection and takes measures to mitigate them. I expect us to be at the forefront of this stuff.
    There is managing the risk - but when the State itself has given up on trying to anticipate and mitigate the risk of infection, it is going to be very hard for football clubs to effectively mitigate them to reduce risks much beyond that of the general population.

Just look at the EPL at the moment - some clubs down to only 13 or 14 available senior players due to COVID outbreaks (from senior squads of at least 25) - in most cases not a result of stupid behaviour from players (beyond those that are completely unvaccinated - but even then being vaccinated doesn't stop outbreaks, especially with omicron) but just the fact unless players are in absolute full lockdown (which like broader society I sense is probably not anymore going to be a viable strategy unless things get exceptionally desperate), there will be cases.

Depth in squads will be critical if what is being seen overseas with sporting codes is the likely approach taken here - I.e. soldier on in all bar the absolute worse situations.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Get well soon.

Stay safe everyone

Senior Player
    Won’t our team be better off during the season as some of them will already have had Omnicron and thus some immunity?

Better now in the preseason, than during the late in the season which may happen to other teams.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Won’t our team be better off during the season as some of them will already have had Omnicron and thus some immunity?

Better now in the preseason, than during the late in the season which may happen to other teams.
    I still have not heard any definitive evidence of gaining a natural immunity to Covid from having had it.....my perception was that this was not the case and that the only immunity came from being vaccinated.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I still have not heard any definitive evidence of gaining a natural immunity to Covid from having had it.....my perception was that this was not the case and that the only immunity came from being vaccinated.
    I've read plenty of conflicting quotes attributed to different experts - some that natural immunity is stronger and others that vaccine immunity is stronger. Certainly having had COVID (an earlier strain) was never suggested as a good reason not to get the vaccine. The different opinions may relate to how long immunity lasts, though neither natural nor vaccine-induced immunity now seems particularly long lasting.

in the short term, it might make sense that if you get a mild case and recover quickly, you will benefit from having some Omicron antibodies.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think this is the correct take.

We have a mish mash of rules across different states - just look at the Pat Cummins thing where he would have been right to play in certain states but not SA. It’ll inevitably take players out, particularly if we get variants that spread easily like the new one.

The players don’t appear to have done a single thing wrong here. It’s an end of year boat trip among themselves.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I think you're being very tough on the boys. Remember most are late teens / early 20s and have endured 2 seasons of bio bubble life. Yes, they are well paid but they are only human and given the current policy settings, have not broken any AFL rules or laws. Given they are all vaccinated, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they have done. In fact, it's great to see that they all seem to get on so well. Wish the boys a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I think this is the correct take.

We have a mish mash of rules across different states - just look at the Pat Cummins thing where he would have been right to play in certain states but not SA. It’ll inevitably take players out, particularly if we get variants that spread easily like the new one.

The players don’t appear to have done a single thing wrong here. It’s an end of year boat trip among themselves.
    While it's quite possible that some players caught covid during their boat trip, we don't actually know that for sure. At the moment, there seems to be a wide range of possible infection points in Sydney. And as someone who is disinclined to take at face value, stories coming out of 7, 9, News Corpse, etc; I think it's worth comparing what was said in the club's statement and the claims made in the 7/Fox story.

This is the relevant part of the club's statement: "The Sydney Swans can confirm some members of the football department, including players, have tested positive for Covid-19 during their leave period."

There's no mention of numbers or where the virus was likely to have been contracted. And personally, I can't help thinking, that 7 came up with "at least ten players", by going through social media, after they heard that some players had tested positive, and finding a picture of our players on a boat trip. They then may have counted the 9 people in the picture, assumed that the person holding the camera was also a player, and then deduced that at least 10 players had tested positive.

While it's quite possible that more than 10 players have tested positive and the source of infection was the boat trip, it's also quite possible, that significantly less than 10 have tested positive and their source of infection was not the boat trip?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast