PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell watch

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

jono2707
25th May 2012, 11:54 PM
Sorry for throwing an idea out there - my suggestion was based on the fact that he's missed a pre-season and he is talented enough to be fast-tracked towards a senior spot. I understand that he has had injury issues and of course this should be managed, but he is a level above most of the other Ressies players. I just don't think that this season is a write-off for Tom and I threw out an idea that a couple of hard weeks on the training track might be beneficial if he's up to it. But thanks for the feedback Aardvark - I shall remember that before I apply for that coaching position I had my eye on. :-)

Hopefully I have explained my position a little better....

aardvark
26th May 2012, 12:09 AM
But thanks for the feedback Aardvark - I shall remember that before I apply for that coaching position I had my eye on. :-)

You're welcome, always happy to help. :smile:

jono2707
26th May 2012, 01:11 AM
You're welcome, always happy to help. :smile:

Thanks for the advice on the Darren Jolly thread too. Sorry for suggesting that it was getting a bit personal but I thought it was getting out of hand. Sorry for not liking Collingwood too. And sorry for getting a bit excited about Tom Mitchell but I would recommend having a look at the kid - he can play.

jono2707
26th May 2012, 01:27 AM
We have a potential 200+ gamer here so there's no need to kill him by pushing him too early. The coaches will show patience so I'm going to do the same thing.

Thanks Al - I see your point and you expressed it nicely. I may have got over excited a bit but you've seen the kid play and I'm sure you can understand the excitement...,

Big Al
26th May 2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks Al - I see your point and you expressed it nicely. I may have got over excited a bit but you've seen the kid play and I'm sure you can understand the excitement...,

Absolutely Jono, I was excited by Mitchell just in the 1 game I saw in the u/18 championships last year and the Ressies games just confirms that view.

aardvark
26th May 2012, 09:48 AM
excited about Tom Mitchell but I would recommend having a look at the kid - he can play.

I watched him during the under 18 championships when he was still underdone and he carved them up then. The thought of him and also young Josh Dunkley is enough to make me buy a 10 year members ticket. Its going to be an exciting ride.

wolftone57
26th May 2012, 10:28 AM
I love Mitchell. he is a game maker and breaker. He has the ability to not only start the whole movement but to be a part of it all the way down the ground. Sensational give and get mentality. I was a bit peeved that he wasn't in the official best for the resies last week. He got 35 and was sensational in everything he did. He also has the ability if he makes a mistake to go and recover the ball. That is a real talent. His delivery is really good. He uses handball a lot and sets up play in the same fashion as Sam Mitchell. If he becomes anywhere near as good as Sammy I will be happy.

Primmy
26th May 2012, 10:57 AM
I am glad the kid is under the eye of Crouch. He knows a lot about longevity and personal maintenance.

undy
16th June 2016, 02:35 PM
Looks like he's staying:

AFL 2016: Sydney midfielder Tom Mitchell to stay a Swan (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-2016-sydney-midfielder-tom-mitchell-to-stay-a-swan-20160615-gpju5n.html)

Mug Punter
24th June 2016, 10:05 PM
Looks like he's staying:

AFL 2016: Sydney midfielder Tom Mitchell to stay a Swan (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-2016-sydney-midfielder-tom-mitchell-to-stay-a-swan-20160615-gpju5n.html)

I'd be hoping for some news next week.....

25th June 2016, 10:23 PM
I thought he was being traded to Carlton?

Mug Punter
25th June 2016, 11:07 PM
I thought he was being traded to Carlton?

Let's hope not. I never wanted him to be traded but I was worried he may be squeezed out due to salary cap pressures. I'll believe it when I see it, and I hope I do...

goswannies
25th June 2016, 11:47 PM
Let's hope not. I never wanted him to be traded but I was worried he may be squeezed out due to salary cap pressures. I'll believe it when I see it, and I hope I do...

You hope he goes or stays?

WauchopeAnalyst
26th June 2016, 11:50 AM
Mitchell might be waiting for the new CBA????

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mug Punter
26th June 2016, 01:47 PM
You hope he goes or stays?

Absolutely hope he stays!

The noises coming out of his camp seem pretty positive but all the same I think we'll all be relieved when he re-signs.

Mug Punter
26th June 2016, 01:52 PM
Mitchell might be waiting for the new CBA????

Yes, and given the CBA has a drop dead deadline of November 1 that concerns me if they are holding out. The longer the kid isn't re-signed the greater the chance of him asking for a transfer. I'm really hoping we see something in the next week or so....

jono2707
26th June 2016, 04:08 PM
Most player contracts at the moment would have certain triggers around the new CBA anyway so I don't think anyone would be needing to hold out until it comes in.....

Swansongster
27th June 2016, 12:35 PM
Another two years would be smart by Mitchell IMHO.

That is when his value will be at its peak, the new CBA will be in place and I think he would also then be a restricted free agent. All good for getting a big, long pay-day either here or elsewhere to finish off his career.

bungwahl
27th June 2016, 05:35 PM
Talks on hold for a month, but still looks positive.

stellation
27th June 2016, 06:05 PM
So, the Blues break even in hitouts but get smashed in stoppages and clearances, then 2 days later Tom Mitchell happens to put contract talks on hold?

Levii3
27th June 2016, 06:25 PM
Getting annoyed now sign or say your leaving hate when players pull this

27th June 2016, 07:45 PM
He has said he's staying so he will. I think the lateness of the new CBA is holding up quite a number of players across all clubs. The bigger the cap rise, the less the % we are paying Buddy - nice thinking by those that put the world shocking deal together.

Back to Mitchell - he will get a fair contract in line with his standing amongst his peers. Carlton would have to be really overpaying him to get him to move to a club that may not content in his career as they have an ageing list. Carlton would also need to give up a lot at the trade table for us to let him go. Relax, going no where.

Ludwig
27th June 2016, 07:46 PM
As I said in another thread, the Swans have put the Mitchell negotiations on hold so they can concentrate on Tom Derickx' contract. There may not be enough in the cap to keep them both. With Sandilands down and near retirement, and Freo's other ruckmen all flops; with NicNat chronically injured, Richmond's thin ruck stocks, Gold Coast reliant on an under-performing Tom Nichols and Kreuzer pretty ordinary with no real backup at Carlton, the offers for Tom D must be coming hot and heavy. We may have offer more than we gave Buddy to keep him. We might even get further AFL sanctions if we do. Good thing Eddie is sailing around the Aegean Sea with Lindsay Fox so he won't be able to throw a monkey wrench into the negotiations, no offense intended for using the word monkey, and sorry to the many who will be offended by using the word Eddie.

annew
27th June 2016, 08:33 PM
Talks now on hold until end of season = gone

Markus26
27th June 2016, 09:59 PM
I get the same feeling. We could have lost Mitchell altogether. I don't like the stall tactic one bit. If a player is keen to stay, they normally want to get contracts done so they can settle down to playing good footy. I hope we get some form of compensation in return if it comes to him leaving.

27th June 2016, 10:13 PM
I get the same feeling. We could have lost Mitchell altogether. I don't like the stall tactic one bit. If a player is keen to stay, they normally want to get contracts done so they can settle down to playing good footy. I hope we get some form of compensation in return if it comes to him leaving.
Carlton can offer a big deal but Mitchell isn't a free agent so they will need to cough up big time and not sure they will want to part with their pick 6 ish for Tom so doubt they've got the real desire to get him over at that minimum cost.

Essendon with pick 1 in the PSD however are different and should have cap room. But why would you want to go to either of those clubs. I will however entertain trading Tom for Michael .......

Mug Punter
27th June 2016, 10:21 PM

I don't like this approach when guys like Hanners and Luke are happy to commit. But I respect his right to get the best deal for himself.

I guess his agent is just trying to get the best deal and I suspect that it's now 50/50 but my gut says he is leaving. If he hasn't re-signed by the end of July then I'm prepared to write him off as leaving but I do appreciate we've got a big three weeks coming up.

If Carlton want him they'd better look at their rounder minimum otherwise I'd be suggesting we send him to the PSD.

I'd be pretty annoyed if he left because it would clearly be for money and we have paid him massive overs. Having said that, if we really get blown out of the water financially then that's that.

I know we lost Mummy but we really haven't had any list carnage from the Buddy and Tippett signings which is remarkable really. I always thought we'd lose one guy we genuinely we wanted to keep before the cap started to make Buddy's deal more reasonable. Maybe Mitchell is that player. And the combination of cap space and whatever we get for him may well allow us to recruit a gun KPD who may well add to the overall balance of the team.

Whatever happens I trust Kinnear and the team to get this right

Mug Punter
27th June 2016, 11:00 PM
Agree with Robbo's assessment tonight on AFL 360.

Clearly a big money offer is on the table by Carlton, Robbo mentions $700K per year. He wants to stay but as things stand the Swans need to put more money on the table. And if we do then Carlton may simply increase their offer again. And if we do then Tom will be on money that blows our pay structure and probably puts him on much more than Parks and Hanners. And it simply adds to the pressure when we look at locking in Heeney and Mills.

It will gut me but I think this may be one we have to let go

dejavoodoo44
27th June 2016, 11:23 PM
Surely the fact that Carlton have four number one picks on their list, lessens the amount of cash that they have to go poaching?

Mug Punter
28th June 2016, 12:34 AM
Surely the fact that Carlton have four number one picks on their list, lessens the amount of cash that they have to go poaching?

I'd say they'd be pretty cashed up and have some spare cap space.

I'm pretty sure Tom is going now, he's had his head turned and his Mr 7%er is being the bottom-feeder that he by definition is.

We'd have offered him a top dollar that we can afford both within the salary cap and our wages structure and where he sits in it. I don't think we play a lot of games around contract negotiations and I suspect we went in very confident of sealing this deal and we really don't have a Plan B. I'd say he's been offered $550,000 - $600,000 per year and that is pretty much our best offer. It's all about what drives Tom, if he just wants money then go to Carlton but if he wants to win flags then stay here.

Provided it was our best offer then I say call his and managers bluff. It's all they can do, you can't just react to every manager that tries to get an increase but I do suspect Carlton have the capacity to go about $500,000 over three years above us - no matter what we offer they will just up their bid and that's a Mug's Game. And that is pretty significant when you consider that these guys really are looking at getting themselves set up for life here. It's easy for us to say "stay for the flag" but that's an investment property over three year half or a third paid for. Plus don't forget the kid has some ties to that club too and the allure of playing in Melbourne may appeal.

These days the players always get their way when they are out of contract and want to go to a club, it is just a matter of what we can get for the deal when he leaves. Pick 6 or 7 would seem fair to me but I'm not sure Carlton would be feeling so charitable. Maybe their number 1 draft pick for 2017 when they'd be hoping it is Pick 10 or higher (and it may well be given the job Bolton is doing). They are still in rebuild mode and this kid would suit them to a tee and I can see why they are going hard at him.

If we got a first rounder next year then that could work. It would provide the trade bait for a KPD if we find one. And if we do go for Hurley we have a ready made spot on the list plus the salary to accommodate him (Teddy's and Tom's). And if we don't do anything then we get two first rounders next year and it's been a long time since we've had that luxury.

In terms of the inside grunt we'd lose with Tom I say Callum Mills. That kids is a Bull in the making and once he gets a couple more pre-seasons in the gym I can seeing him poo all over Mitchell. And let's not forget Heeney though I do feel he knee issues may see him be a high marking small forward his entire career

Steve
28th June 2016, 01:04 AM
I don't like this approach when guys like Hanners and Luke are happy to commit. But I respect his right to get the best deal for himself.

In fairness, those guys got long-term deals on big money - which makes showing your loyalty a bit easier.

Personally I think it's just a bit uncomfortable now, as opposed to being a major issue. Mitchell hasn't been putting off talking about a new contract for 12+ months which is the usual precursor to then 'let's just now wait until the end of the year' once you get into that final year of he contract.

Seemingly nor have the club been delaying things like we did with Mumford knowing we couldn't fit him in.

If Carlton have recently thrown a lot more money at him, I think it's fair all parties re-assess things - but for Mitchell that also includes whether he really wants to leave the Swans, what's actually best for his football, likelihood of future team success, how different it is having inferior players playing around you etc etc.

I think it would still be a fair assumption to say the clear preference for Mitchell and his manager is to do a deal with Sydney. It's hard to understand why Carlton would make him an astronomical offer - he's not a Dangerfield - so there is likely still hope we can get closer to the number they want (which given all the other factors should be in our favour already, would get a deal done).

Sandridge
28th June 2016, 09:32 AM

I guess his agent is just trying to get the best deal and I suspect that it's now 50/50 but my gut says he is leaving. If he hasn't re-signed by the end of July then I'm prepared to write him off as leaving but I do appreciate we've got a big three weeks coming up.

If Carlton want him they'd better look at their rounder minimum otherwise I'd be suggesting we send him to the PSD.

I'd be pretty annoyed if he left because it would clearly be for money and we have paid him massive overs. Having said that, if we really get blown out of the water financially then that's that.

I know we lost Mummy but we really haven't had any list carnage from the Buddy and Tippett signings which is remarkable really. I always thought we'd lose one guy we genuinely we wanted to keep before the cap started to make Buddy's deal more reasonable. Maybe Mitchell is that player. And the combination of cap space and whatever we get for him may well allow us to recruit a gun KPD who may well add to the overall balance of the team.

Whatever happens I trust Kinnear and the team to get this right

Exactly!

DA_Swan
28th June 2016, 12:45 PM
Given his manager is a life member of our club i am sure the negotiations are done in good faith and the best deal will be done for all parties - if we have to significantly increase our offer in $$ i think he is gone - if delay is over number of years then maybe we are still in the game and with the other hat on - an early draft pick and the cap space would provide a great opportunity to get a KPD ready to play so we win either way

Swansongster
28th June 2016, 02:20 PM
If we got a first rounder next year then that could work. It would provide the trade bait for a KPD if we find one. And if we do go for Hurley we have a ready made spot on the list plus the salary to accommodate him (Teddy's and Tom's). And if we don't do anything then we get two first rounders next year and it's been a long time since we've had that luxury.

In terms of the inside grunt we'd lose with Tom I say Callum Mills. That kids is a Bull in the making and once he gets a couple more pre-seasons in the gym I can seeing him poo all over Mitchell. And let's not forget Heeney though I do feel he knee issues may see him be a high marking small forward his entire career

2009 - Rohan (6), Jetta (14)

Will be disappointed if Mitchell goes but agree that he could be good trade currency and we are probably better positioned than any other club to cover such a loss. Life would go on.

But, as I've stated before, surely he is worth a bucket-load more to himself if he continues to progress for another couple of years? And if he stayed for two more, he gets to play with a side in contention?

Under an extended new salary cap, all clubs will have lots of money for free agents and ball magnet mid-fielders.

CureTheSane
28th June 2016, 02:22 PM
Reid or Rohan.
You may keep only one.
Who do you choose?

dimelb
28th June 2016, 02:44 PM
Reid or Rohan.
You may keep only one.
Who do you choose?

At present, the red one.

kilroy
28th June 2016, 03:09 PM
Reid or Rohan.
You may keep only one.
Who do you choose?

Easy, Rohan

The Reids are injury prone.

penga
28th June 2016, 03:23 PM
Didn't we overpay for him in the first place, which means he is expecting a proportionate pay raise that rookies get when they become regulars, which would push him to one of the highest earners in the club. Not worth it, IMO. Let him waddle around the bottom of the ladder.

Cheer_Cheer
28th June 2016, 03:27 PM
I have a feeling he isn't Horses favourite player. That goal that he spoiled of Roses the other day was a very selfish piece of play and Horse didn't look too pleased.

aardvark
28th June 2016, 03:48 PM
I'd be sad if Rohan went, I don't really care about Mitchell or Reid. They're both overrated and over paid in my book.

jono2707
28th June 2016, 04:20 PM
I have a feeling he isn't Horses favourite player. That goal that he spoiled of Roses the other day was a very selfish piece of play and Horse didn't look too pleased.

Of course Horse wasn't pleased because he stuffed it up. However Tom is a see ball get ball player and in the context of the moment of that (very wet) game, he was too focused on getting the ball through. Yes he needs to learn from that but I thought the commentators were way too harsh - and judging Tom from that one incident and a commentator's take on it is too harsh.

waswan
28th June 2016, 04:40 PM
Someone said Rohan is under contract ? That's easy then, give us Lachie Henderson or get him next year and we get compensated
Reid is about 400K worth if fit, nothing more. He had been on overs
Mitchell may have had a big contract but I suspect it had a large match payment component which is, in-part, why he stayed in the 2's
He is worth about the same as Reid but I reckon Sydney would want to do a long term deal for him so they can back-end him. He probably only wants 3yrs on good money which doesn't work with out list atm
If they are talking to Hurley surely there is money available, id like to get him but I wouldn't be a top payer for his services, he is not an A Grader yet

kilroy
28th June 2016, 05:05 PM
Is Tommy really that valuable in a team where we have enough inside extractors? I have to admit i get frustrated with Tom. As nice as his 30 35 40 35 numbers are, he has burnt a few players already with bad kicks and bad decision making. I am not a fan of his kicking either, tends to bomb it and then turn it over.

What do Carlton have that we need?

Levii3
28th June 2016, 05:13 PM
Losing Mitchell won't be that big a loss because Issac will play more midfield next year and he's a better player than Mitchell and Rose and Papley will fill the void forward.. Plus the obvious benefit of cap space which we can use to get Hurley or Tom McDonald

waswan
28th June 2016, 05:16 PM
Hopefully we are chasing Hibberd, racking left footer off the back flank just what we need

- - - Updated - - -

Give them Mitchell and Reid for Weitering :rofl

Industrial Fan
28th June 2016, 05:44 PM
Might be interesting reading this thread if he follows through and re-signs. Wouldn't give him away by any means, but agree that if he puts off contract talks till year end he is gone. That's a well worn play book, from buddy, danger, judd etc

Flying South
28th June 2016, 05:52 PM
In fairness, those guys got long-term deals on big money - which makes showing your loyalty a bit easier.

Personally I think it's just a bit uncomfortable now, as opposed to being a major issue. Mitchell hasn't been putting off talking about a new contract for 12+ months which is the usual precursor to then 'let's just now wait until the end of the year' once you get into that final year of he contract.

Seemingly nor have the club been delaying things like we did with Mumford knowing we couldn't fit him in.

If Carlton have recently thrown a lot more money at him, I think it's fair all parties re-assess things - but for Mitchell that also includes whether he really wants to leave the Swans, what's actually best for his football, likelihood of future team success, how different it is having inferior players playing around you etc etc.

I think it would still be a fair assumption to say the clear preference for Mitchell and his manager is to do a deal with Sydney. It's hard to understand why Carlton would make him an astronomical offer - he's not a Dangerfield - so there is likely still hope we can get closer to the number they want (which given all the other factors should be in our favour already, would get a deal done).

I don�t believe that Carlton are as far away from a finals side as a lot of others. They are sitting equal 9th on the ladder. Mitchell may not be their Dangerfield, but they already have their next Fyfe in Cripps. Team him up with Mitchell and they have both the inside and outside guns that their midfield needs for their rejuvenation. Murphy and Gibbs will be around for a bit as they are only 28 and 27 respectively. Add some good young up and coming midfielders in Buckley, Curnow, Graham and Cunningham. And they will be able to build a very solid defence around Weitering, Jaksch, Plowman and Docherty. Their forward line is the obvious weakness. They will be looking to trade in a big forward target as well. Which will make them reluctant to trade us their 1st round pick in order to secure that forward from another club. They may try to get Mitchell in the PSD. I�ve got a feeling they are offering Mitchell a long term big dollar contract, something in the order of a 5yr $3.5m contract. We won�t match it, they won�t trade, he will go into the PSD, the money they are offering will deter other clubs and they will get their man without trading their 1st round pick.

We can�t and should not match that offer for a number of reasons;

- worse case he leaves, we will feel that we have other players to cover that inside role. Mills and Jones come to mind.
- Tippet�s form warrants another sizeable contract for him. Before his injury he was All Australian. And he has become more important to us as a ruckman than a forward. Another 3 year contract will probably be in the offering. They were probably hoping that Nank and Naismaith would have developed a bit more to give us more ruck options. But that hasn�t come to fruition. Yet.
- Also we need the cap space to attract a good KPD if one comes on the market.

I hope he stays, but stays here on fair terms. Terms that doesn�t prohibit us from keeping other key players in the future

waswan
28th June 2016, 06:07 PM
Tippet is sealed, he had an activation clause in his old contract that gave him to the end of 2018
At $700K and this day and age, he wont slip thru to Carlton in the Pre-season draft, someone will grab him

I do want to keep Mitchell, hopefully they get a deal done
Macdonald would be a great pickup

28th June 2016, 06:26 PM
.........Macdonald would be a great pickup
Hurley is a way better player than McDonald, wouldn't be surprised if we sprung another Tippett/Buddy and drop the Hurley bombshell at start of trade week!

waswan
28th June 2016, 06:36 PM
Hopefully Hurley gets a heap out of Essendon Lawyers then comes to us for 500K

Macdonald was leading All Australian last year, talked about with Rance then Roos starting throwing him around the ground

Triple B
28th June 2016, 07:48 PM
Yes he needs to learn from that but I thought the commentators were way too harsh - and judging Tom from that one incident and a commentator's take on it is too harsh.

Couldn't agree more. I admit to being at the other end of the ground in the Trumper, but thought at the time that Rose should have shepherded for Mitchell who was on a better angle to soccer the ball through. The few blokes I was with thought the same. I was shocked to hear the level of derision the commentators levelled at Mitchell. Happy to concede Rose was probably winning the race, but it was hardly the slam dunk the commentators made it out...

stevoswan
28th June 2016, 07:54 PM
Reid or Rohan.
You may keep only one.
Who do you choose?

Rohan, easy....and I see Ben Reid stating publicly the other day that he'd love to have Sam at Collingwood one day.:wink:

stevoswan
28th June 2016, 07:59 PM
Give them Mitchell and Reid for Weitering :rofl

We really need a like button!!:D

Cosmic Wizard
28th June 2016, 09:26 PM
I don't believe some of the comments here.

Mitchell is 22? the very best years are ahead, and we need to get to them.

There are few more talent players in our side, and he so much he can improve.

Lets talk about getting rid of players to make room for talent like we did with Buddy.

For one, if we are getting in any defenders, Smith need to go; has really lost two yards of pace this year.

And there is a whole heap of players in the seconds going nowhere, Brandon, XX, etc, who must be on more than a rookie wage.

Do a cull but always keep top talent at out club like Mitchell!!

kilroy
28th June 2016, 09:59 PM
So we get rid of some list depth and a key reliable key defender so that we can keep an avg paced avg kick and inside player which we have a surplus.

Sounds like a deal to me, 10 year deal at 1.5 mil a year?

I'm not disputing his talent but we should not be compromising our list for him, poorly run clubs behave in that manner when they throw everything at perceived future stars, not us.

Cheer_Cheer
28th June 2016, 10:34 PM
The comments about Horse not being happy about that incident were meant to show that maybe the coach doesn't have a lot of love for him. I was not trying to incite debate over whether Mitchell was in the right or wrong. Any after match presser; Horse has never been full of praise for him. I am merely putting it out there that maybe he doesn't rate that highly with the coach ? I think he has been fantastic. Especially his shut down roles on the best in the comp.

RogueSwan
28th June 2016, 10:41 PM
... so that we can keep an avg paced avg kick and inside player which we have a surplus..
He is currently those things but he is also our first choice stopper, and a very good one at that, and has some of the fastest hands in the business. He has only played 50 odd games and continues to improve.
I agree with other posters in that we need to keep him but, obviously, the price should proportionate to his performance.

WauchopeAnalyst
28th June 2016, 10:50 PM
Yes CC, for several years Tom has been the coaches whipping boy and maybe he has had enough.

Mug Punter
28th June 2016, 11:23 PM
So we get rid of some list depth and a key reliable key defender so that we can keep an avg paced avg kick and inside player which we have a surplus.

Sounds like a deal to me, 10 year deal at 1.5 mil a year?

I'm not disputing his talent but we should not be compromising our list for him, poorly run clubs behave in that manner when they throw everything at perceived future stars, not us.

I'm not wanting Tom to leave but I'll respect his decision either way.

He'll be a loss and he'll be missed but he won't be irreplaceable, Mills will be a far superior player in two years minimum and there's no way he'll ever be superior to Hanners.

He has a clear choice, stay at the Swans and win a flag or go to the Blues and maybe play a couple of finals in his career. .If I was him I'd be taking a three year deal and then looking at free agency but if Carlton are offering him a $4m deal over 5 years then he'd have to consider it. Remember a serious injury and this guy's career (like all AFL players) is over.

But we can't upset our pay structure and cap position for one player. I'd say we have a final offer that will eke out a few little extras, maybe some sponsorship stuff and the like, but whatever we up will just be matched by the Blues. So, I say he'll go.

Which means we move on, And it means we need a decent trade though if Carlton want to be d-heads the probably can be because they'll have an early PSD pick and not many other clubs would pick him though I'd think St Kilda could be keen should they finish below Les Blues. He's worth a mid to late first rounder but I suspect that he may be part of a player deal that brings us a KPD, though not directly from Carlton but possibly from Melbourne. If Tom leaves we'll have a nice little stash for T-Mac or even Hurley (though I suspect he may be too pricey) and it could be argued we need a defensive leader more than yet another hard nut mid of whom there are man at our club.

Doctor
28th June 2016, 11:23 PM
Perhaps the coaches feel that he needs tough love to get the best out of him?

Mug Punter
28th June 2016, 11:24 PM
Yes CC, for several years Tom has been the coaches whipping boy and maybe he has had enough.

Yes, let's blame Horse, what has that guy ever done for our club?

I seriously wonder about some guys on here.........

CureTheSane
29th June 2016, 01:14 AM
I'll be pissed if Mitchell leaves.
Swans have invested a lot in to him and only this year are reaping the rewards.
I'd expect a few more years at least fora bit of return.

Ludwig
29th June 2016, 12:26 PM
If Adelaide can lose Dangerfield and still improve, then I don't think the loss of Mitchell would be all that detrimental to Sydney. Too many on here are jumping to conclusions that the delay in contract talks means he's going. Personally, I think he will sign a new contract and all will be fine. If for some reason we can't reach an agreement, we should be able to get reasonable compensation for him. There should be a number of suitors. If Treloar was valued at 2 first rounders, surely Mitchell will be worth 1 in the 5 to 10 range. That should get us a pretty good KPP, something we can use more than a midfielder.

As time passes we should expect to see Heeney, Hewett, Jones and Mills all pressing for midfield spots, without any obvious ones going out. I think O'Riordan will be playing an outside midfielder in a year or two to add to the mix.

None of this is a knock on Mitchell. He's a great contested ball winner and has improved his game in other areas as well. But the names mentioned above are also contested ball winners, so we won't be running short in that area for some time to come.

rojo
29th June 2016, 03:38 PM
Hanners in interview on 360 was in awe of Mitchell's performance v Hawthorn and seemed pretty sure he will stay. When asked if he and other players would give up some of their pay to keep Mitchell, Hanners suggested that a contribution from Buddy would be enough to cover it.

dimelb
29th June 2016, 04:32 PM
Cheeky possum that Hanners!

Mr Magoo
30th June 2016, 11:44 AM
I'm not wanting Tom to leave but I'll respect his decision either way.

He'll be a loss and he'll be missed but he won't be irreplaceable, Mills will be a far superior player in two years minimum and there's no way he'll ever be superior to Hanners.

He has a clear choice, stay at the Swans and win a flag or go to the Blues and maybe play a couple of finals in his career. .If I was him I'd be taking a three year deal and then looking at free agency but if Carlton are offering him a $4m deal over 5 years then he'd have to consider it. Remember a serious injury and this guy's career (like all AFL players) is over.

But we can't upset our pay structure and cap position for one player. I'd say we have a final offer that will eke out a few little extras, maybe some sponsorship stuff and the like, but whatever we up will just be matched by the Blues. So, I say he'll go.

Which means we move on, And it means we need a decent trade though if Carlton want to be d-heads the probably can be because they'll have an early PSD pick and not many other clubs would pick him though I'd think St Kilda could be keen should they finish below Les Blues. He's worth a mid to late first rounder but I suspect that he may be part of a player deal that brings us a KPD, though not directly from Carlton but possibly from Melbourne. If Tom leaves we'll have a nice little stash for T-Mac or even Hurley (though I suspect he may be too pricey) and it could be argued we need a defensive leader more than yet another hard nut mid of whom there are man at our club.

Freo could make a play couldn't they - they would be lower in the PSD and he is from WA

Auntie.Gerald
30th June 2016, 01:28 PM
Melbourne would love tom Mitchell

ScottH
30th June 2016, 01:55 PM
Melbourne would love tom Mitchell

So would Sydney

Auntie.Gerald
30th June 2016, 08:41 PM
The pies desperately need a player like Tom Mitchell

Wonder if they would give an early pick say 20 plus Jonathon marsh ?

With guys like Heeney and mills and hewett who will play more and more inside mid maybe we are seriously contemplating vs attracting more outside players / running players

CureTheSane
30th June 2016, 08:53 PM
20 would be their first draft pick :)
And don't they have a could of F/S players they'd be wanting? Daicos & Brown?
Given they on-traded their first round pick last tear, they are going to struggle to get one of them....

gumby_bolts
1st July 2016, 11:47 AM
My sources say (I just wanted to say that, however PM me and I can tell you the connection) that Collingwood is the team chasing him but he loved the Swans and the anonymity of playing in Sydney plus he was apprehensive of joining the pies as they have a bad reputation of drug-taking, hanging out with unsavory types etc. Hopefully they work out whatever the issues are with the contract.

dimelb
1st July 2016, 12:19 PM
My sources say (I just wanted to say that, however PM me and I can tell you the connection) that Collingwood is the team chasing him but he loved the Swans and the anonymity of playing in Sydney plus he was apprehensive of joining the pies as they have a bad reputation of drug-taking, hanging out with unsavory types etc. Hopefully they work out whatever the issues are with the contract.

And so might I if Eddie was my president ...

1st July 2016, 05:25 PM
Just saw the exciting headline on the AFL website "Mitchell signs on" then scrolled down to see it was the Hawks Mitchell :-(

Collingwood don't have the trade chips to get Tom, their first pick will be around 25-26 and they will need that for U18 AA F-S Brown. Only way they will be able to do the trade is if they trade out someone fairly good for a higher pick and no rumours about that being likely. Only possible outs are Cloke and Witts, neither who would have much currency IMO.

ScottH
1st July 2016, 05:43 PM
And so might I if Eddie was my president ...

You're on fire this week!!

DA_Swan
1st July 2016, 05:55 PM
Hope he stays - would be nice to have a third generation Swan

Flying South
1st July 2016, 06:00 PM
If Collingwood want Titch then only a player swap would do the trick. If they want a good player then they have to give up a good player.

For me, Marley Williams off the halfback/wing would fit in well. I can see him becoming one of the gun HB's of the league. And just the sort of player to give us the run from D50. Eski or Shaw type. "He plays an eye-catching brand of football, mainly due to his ability to break the lines, his evasiveness and long left foot kicking. Williams does not take a backward step and has already shut down several of the AFL's better small forwards. Eski and Shaw. "He plays an eye-catching brand of football, mainly due to his ability to break the lines, his evasiveness and long left foot kicking. Williams does not take a backward step and has already shut down several of the AFL's better small forwards".

WauchopeAnalyst
1st July 2016, 07:57 PM
Treloar is perfect????????????

Ludwig
1st July 2016, 08:31 PM
I can't see Collingwood even being in the picture. Firstly, they already have some good quality players similar to Mitchell with Adams, DeGoey, Greenwood and Pendlebottom. Plus Treloar to who has a good inside game and good pace. They have a lot more needs than inside slowish mids. And they really don't have any players of trade value that they'd be willing to part with, nor any decent draft picks. Other than Treloar, there's no one on that team that I'd like at the Swans.

I still think the chances of Mitchell leaving are very slight, despite the contract talks being delayed.

liz
1st July 2016, 08:41 PM
I can't see Collingwood even being in the picture. Firstly, they already have some good quality players similar to Mitchell with Adams, DeGoey, Greenwood and Pendlebottom. Plus Treloar to who has a good inside game and good pace. They have a lot more needs than inside slowish mids. And they really don't have any players of trade value that they'd be willing to part with, nor any decent draft picks. Other than Treloar, there's no one on that team that I'd like at the Swans.

I still think the chances of Mitchell leaving are very slight, despite the contract talks being delayed.
I read this morning that they may be looking to trade Jesse White...

Ludwig
1st July 2016, 09:28 PM
I read this morning that they may be looking to trade Jesse White...I feel better now. If we lose Tom Derickx it won't hurt quite so much.

Mug Punter
2nd July 2016, 12:08 AM

If Tom chooses the Pies over us then as far as I am concerned then he is an idiot, and I say that fully respecting the shortness of careers etc. That club should not be a destination of priority for any young player, they are a long way off being a flag winner.

Assuming this mail is right it makes me a little more positive about keeping Tom. I suspect we'll find a few extra dollars but it will be a three year deal to take him to free agency and that he will rigorously pursue that option as he should.

A good three years with us, hopefully with at least one premiership medallion, he'll be 26 with a tick over 100 games on the clock. He'd be perfectly placed for a five year mega deal to set himself up for life. He'd be the perfect profile for free agency.

I'll respect what he does but I was truly worried if that team coming in was Carlton because they have a coach in Bolton who is not just going to be a great coach but also strikes me as a pretty inspirational human being who players will genuinely want to play for. If it's Collingwood then I feel a ray of hop.

Plus what on earth are they going to trade us for him? I can't think of a player that we'd want and given Fat Head has traded away all their picks then a pick deal is just not going to happen. I could see the scum playing hardball and taking him to the PSD but then again Brisbane or the Bombers (esp the Bombers) could be well tempted to go for him but if the Pies are going to pay massive overs then he'd probably go there

Velour&Ruffles
2nd July 2016, 12:09 AM
For me, Marley Williams off the halfback/wing would fit in well. I can see him becoming one of the gun HB's of the league. And just the sort of player to give us the run from D50. Eski or Shaw type. "He plays an eye-catching brand of football, mainly due to his ability to break the lines, his evasiveness and long left foot kicking. Williams does not take a backward step and has already shut down several of the AFL's better small forwards. Eski and Shaw. "He plays an eye-catching brand of football, mainly due to his ability to break the lines, his evasiveness and long left foot kicking. Williams does not take a backward step and has already shut down several of the AFL's better small forwards".

We'd have to abandon the famed "No Dickheads" policy.

Mug Punter
2nd July 2016, 12:30 AM
If Collingwood want Titch then only a player swap would do the trick. If they want a good player then they have to give up a good player.

I'd truly hate to see us bring in anyone that has been through the system of that club

Flying South
2nd July 2016, 12:43 AM
I'd truly hate to see us bring in anyone that has been through the system of that club
2012 premiership player and current reserves coach wasn't a bad player or bloke. You can't taint all their players with their presidents brush.

Primmy
2nd July 2016, 08:29 AM
2012 premiership player and current reserves coach wasn't a bad player or bloke. You can't taint all their players with their presidents brush.Boom! And he has beautiful eyes. Even his brother escaped the club to a better place.

I can't see Tommy go. He has always just sat and waited, kind of like Jared Crouch, not letting anyone in until he is ready. The better he gets, the more bargaining power he will have. He will stay.

dimelb
2nd July 2016, 09:50 AM

As bad as Nick Davis?

bandwagon
2nd July 2016, 10:53 AM

I think our recent trading with Collingwood has netted us some outstanding individuals - Nick Davis, Rhys Shaw & Andrew Schauble. But perhaps I have selectively forgotten the duds we have received?

Nolie
5th July 2016, 01:55 AM
Don't rate him. Let him go for a trade. Get Jetta back. Jetta better.

mcs
5th July 2016, 11:08 AM
Don't rate him. Let him go for a trade. Get Jetta back. Jetta better.

Jetta has been dreadful for the Weagles this year, continuing on his poor form from last year with us. He can stay where he is for me.

WauchopeAnalyst
5th July 2016, 12:16 PM
As bad as Nick Davis?
Paul Williams, Andrew Schauble..

AnnieH
5th July 2016, 01:44 PM
Boom! And he has beautiful eyes. Even his brother escaped the club to a better place.

I can't see Tommy go. He has always just sat and waited, kind of like Jared Crouch, not letting anyone in until he is ready. The better he gets, the more bargaining power he will have. He will stay.

This is what I reckon too Prims.
He's showing them what they'll miss out on if they don't re-sign him.

If they want to make room in the salary cap, I hate to say this (again), but it might be time to let AJ go.

Ludwig
5th July 2016, 01:49 PM
Looking at who is available in this draft and what we currently have on our list, I wouldn't mind trading Mitchell to Carlton for their 1st rounder, currently pick 5 and one of their 3rd rounders in the 40s, which could be used to upgrade one of other other picks or used as part of a deal with another academy club to get someone like Jack Leslie or Jeremy Finlayson.

Heeney, Mills, Hewett and Jones all should be part of our midfield going forward and we have to make room by moving on someone. This is no knock on Mitchell, who I think is a very good player, but we simply have too many quality inside midfielders and should be looking to rebalance the list toward outside runners and KPPs.

liz
5th July 2016, 02:21 PM
Looking at who is available in this draft and what we currently have on our list, I wouldn't mind trading Mitchell to Carlton for their 1st rounder, currently pick 5 and one of their 3rd rounders in the 40s, which could be used to upgrade one of other other picks or used as part of a deal with another academy club to get someone like Jack Leslie or Jeremy Finlayson.

Heeney, Mills, Hewett and Jones all should be part of our midfield going forward and we have to make room by moving on someone. This is no knock on Mitchell, who I think is a very good player, but we simply have too many quality inside midfielders and should be looking to rebalance the list toward outside runners and KPPs.

I'd be very surprised if Carlton handed over pick 5 for Mitchell, let alone a third round pick too. If they part with their first pick, it will be for a package of second tier Giants, as SOS continues to shift half the list he assembled at Blacktown down to Lygon Street. They'd probably try to get him via the PSD. If they accepted that wasn't possible, the absolute best we could possibly hope for would be their first pick with our first pick going back to them. Even that's unlikely. They'd probably try to offer their second plus a fringe player. Whether that is fair value or not is beside the point. He's out of contract and they are intent on snaring talent on the cheap (in terms of trade cost).

ernie koala
5th July 2016, 06:48 PM
After reading Ross Lyon has worries retaining Nate Fyfe....

Mitchell does have some roots in WA.

How about we offer up Mitchell and Reid for Fyfe....Fanciful I know, especially given the low currency Reid presently has.

But letting go those 2 would certainly free up the necessary cap space, they are desperate for a tall forward, they seem to miss out at the trade table every year,

and also could do with a younger extractor...

You never know if you don't ask.

Ludwig
5th July 2016, 08:17 PM
I'd be very surprised if Carlton handed over pick 5 for Mitchell, let alone a third round pick too. If they part with their first pick, it will be for a package of second tier Giants, as SOS continues to shift half the list he assembled at Blacktown down to Lygon Street. They'd probably try to get him via the PSD. If they accepted that wasn't possible, the absolute best we could possibly hope for would be their first pick with our first pick going back to them. Even that's unlikely. They'd probably try to offer their second plus a fringe player. Whether that is fair value or not is beside the point. He's out of contract and they are intent on snaring talent on the cheap (in terms of trade cost).
Collingwood gave up 2 first round picks for Treloar and pick 28, so one first rounder doesn't seem unreasonable for Mitchell (forget the 3rd round pick, not important). I rate Treloar higher than Tom, but not by all that much, and their stats this year are pretty close. I would think that besides Carlton, Richmond and St. Kilda would also be in the hunt for a top line inside midfielder, so it won't be that easy to just walk to Carlton. The draft is a bit of a lottery. If you look back at 2009 for example, I would say of the top 12 picks only Dustin Martin is better than Mitchell, with Scully and Cunnington around the mark. Giving up a pick between 5 and 9 would be a good get for Mitchell.

Normally you wouldn't consider trading a player of Tom's ability. It's only because we have a relatively young midfield core that doesn't look like changing for the next few years and it's impeding the next group (Heeney, Mills, Hewett and Jones) from getting playing time in the midfield, which would suit them more.

Mug Punter
5th July 2016, 09:09 PM

I can't see Carlton giving that up. If their offer is that high then they would be tempted to go to the PSD but that would be a risk as all the clubs below them would be very tempted to have a crack at Tom.

The best I could see is that we'd get their first rounder next year which, based on their improvement, could be 9 - 12 which is probably fair and it could well suit us to have two first rounders next year and give our rookie upgrades this year a chance. Carlton need their Pick 5-7 this year. Their spine is pretty much set for the next decade and they need mids. Tom plus an early first rounder plus Gibbes, Murphy and Cripps would give them a midfield group to match and they could well be prepared to go light at the 2017 draft.

I'd play hardball on this one. A second rounder for us aint worth a lot and we'd send a message out re our stance.

Ludwig
5th July 2016, 10:36 PM
I can't see Carlton giving that up. If their offer is that high then they would be tempted to go to the PSD but that would be a risk as all the clubs below them would be very tempted to have a crack at Tom.

The best I could see is that we'd get their first rounder next year which, based on their improvement, could be 9 - 12 which is probably fair and it could well suit us to have two first rounders next year and give our rookie upgrades this year a chance. Carlton need their Pick 5-7 this year. Their spine is pretty much set for the next decade and they need mids. Tom plus an early first rounder plus Gibbes, Murphy and Cripps would give them a midfield group to match and they could well be prepared to go light at the 2017 draft.

I'd play hardball on this one. A second rounder for us aint worth a lot and we'd send a message out re our stance.
We really don't know what the state of play is concerning Tom. It's just speculation, and Carlton has been the club most closely linked to a possible trade. It's hard to say what any club would offer. But if he goes to the PSD, he'll surely get picked up by Essendon. I don't think that will happen (for a number of reasons not worth listing here).

I was just trying to assess Tom's market value. I made the comparison to Treloar because we have a recent transaction to compare to. I also checked out the 2011 draft to see how Tom would rank now against his draft year peers. Chad Wingard would be the top pick in hindsight. Then Tom probably sits in a group of players just behind Chad, which would include Coniglio, Haynes, Toby Greene, Devon Smith and Taylor Adams. If that draft was not compromised, you wouldn't be upset taking Tom between pick 2 and 5. I think he was rated by many as the 3rd best player going into the draft.

There is great value in a proven player at AFL level when comparing to a draft prospect that is rated to perhaps be as good. How does Tom Mitchell compare to Jake Carlisle? It's hard to compare because they play different positions as well as the suspension risk factor at the time of he trade. But Carlisle went for pick 5.

I don't think Carlton's 1st rounder for next year is all that bad. I think they'll stay in the bottom 8. Essendon and perhaps GC will surpass them and they could even finish lower than this year.

CureTheSane
5th July 2016, 10:57 PM
My question is - Will Mitchell be playing as well without the other stellar midfielders absorbing other quality opponents?

liz
5th July 2016, 11:09 PM
We really don't know what the state of play is concerning Tom. It's just speculation, and Carlton has been the club most closely linked to a possible trade. It's hard to say what any club would offer. But if he goes to the PSD, he'll surely get picked up by Essendon. I don't think that will happen (for a number of reasons not worth listing here).

I was just trying to assess Tom's market value. I made the comparison to Treloar because we have a recent transaction to compare to. I also checked out the 2011 draft to see how Tom would rank now against his draft year peers. Chad Wingard would be the top pick in hindsight. Then Tom probably sits in a group of players just behind Chad, which would include Coniglio, Haynes, Toby Greene, Devon Smith and Taylor Adams. If that draft was not compromised, you wouldn't be upset taking Tom between pick 2 and 5. I think he was rated by many as the 3rd best player going into the draft.

There is great value in a proven player at AFL level when comparing to a draft prospect that is rated to perhaps be as good. How does Tom Mitchell compare to Jake Carlisle? It's hard to compare because they play different positions as well as the suspension risk factor at the time of he trade. But Carlisle went for pick 5.

I don't think Carlton's 1st rounder for next year is all that bad. I think they'll stay in the bottom 8. Essendon and perhaps GC will surpass them and they could even finish lower than this year.
Carlisle is a tall. Even semi-decent talls (and his best is very good, albeit he's moody and inconsistent) are more highly valued than midfielders because they are much rarer.

As a midfielder, Tom is a quality part of a team but he's not quick, his skills are "just reasonable" and he's not particularly tall. The most highly sought after / rated mids tend to have at least one attribute that makes them stand out. Often this is line breaking pace (Judd, Dangerfield, Ablett) or size (Fyfe, plus Bontempelli and Cripps as up and comers). Treloar isn't quite in Dangerfield or Judd's class pace wise, but he is a line breaker. This tends to mask his weaknesses, such as the fact he's a bit of a one-way player. Clubs will always reckon they can train a player to be better defensively, but you can't train pace.

Ludwig
6th July 2016, 12:42 AM
Carlisle is a tall. Even semi-decent talls (and his best is very good, albeit he's moody and inconsistent) are more highly valued than midfielders because they are much rarer.

As a midfielder, Tom is a quality part of a team but he's not quick, his skills are "just reasonable" and he's not particularly tall. The most highly sought after / rated mids tend to have at least one attribute that makes them stand out. Often this is line breaking pace (Judd, Dangerfield, Ablett) or size (Fyfe, plus Bontempelli and Cripps as up and comers). Treloar isn't quite in Dangerfield or Judd's class pace wise, but he is a line breaker. This tends to mask his weaknesses, such as the fact he's a bit of a one-way player. Clubs will always reckon they can train a player to be better defensively, but you can't train pace. I actually agree with you on your assessment of Tom. You could probably find that I've said similar things about him myself. What I find most interesting is that over the past few years I've found myself on the conservative side assessing Tom's value, but most of the comments about Tom on RWO have been glowing. Now that there's speculation that he might be off to another club, the forum consensus seems to be playing down his value.

Getting back to the 2011 draft, I don't think there would be much argument about Wingard being the best of the lot. But I wonder where Tom would rank against, Coniglio, Devon Smith, Toby Greene, Haynes, Dom Tyson, Taylor Adams and Brandon Ellis, to name a number of the more highly rated draftees from that year. I'd probably put Coniglio at the top of the list, followed by Mitchell. Their stats this year are nearly identical.

So what is one of the top 5 players in his draft year worth 5 years hence? I think it's a fair question and should help point to what he is worth in a trade.

liz
6th July 2016, 02:01 AM
I believe clubs are always of the hope that they are about to draft the next superstar. Undrafted players' attributes tend to be overplayed because they may prove to be that star. Great players can be found at any point in the draft but, not unreasonably, clubs assess that they stand a better chance of unearthing one with an early draft pick than a later one. That leads clubs to overrate the top handful of draft picks over a player who is proven to be a very solid AFL player but is sufficiently exposed to suggest he's not going to be an out and out match winner. I don't necessarily agree with this relative valuation - past history suggests that the chance of unearthing a player with, say, a top 5 draft pick that is significantly better than Mitchell isn't that high - less than 50%, I reckon. Probably significantly lower than 50%. But humans don't cope well with making rational decisions about probabilities even when the data is pretty convincing. They will tell themselves that picking a player is about their skill in assessment and will ignore the luck factor that is evident in assessments of past drafts.

A more charitable interpretation might be that the value of unearthing the next Ablett, Fyfe or Franklin is so great that even if clubs understand that their chances of doing so are very small, they still want that opportunity - ie a utility based assessment. Of course, that only one of those three players required a top five draft pick to obtain is beside the point! So is the fact that Mitchell would quite possibly have been taken with a top five draft pick had he been available on the open market.

royboy42
6th July 2016, 09:18 AM
t seems to me that that Tom is not a great kick, although his set shots seem adequate. Strong marking is not part of his package, and as a small mid extractor that's fine with me.
His strengths are his vision , in knowing where everyone is around him, especially the man in the clear who can get the ball forward; his ability to get the ball in heavily contested situations, and, most importantly his accuracy and speed by hand. The number of times the ball spends a second in Mitchell's hands before being despatched to a team mate in clearing position reflects his value to us.
Diesel without the sly dirty bits.

swansrob
6th July 2016, 10:06 AM
This article says Tom will re-sign, so we can probably close this thread now
Burning questions: Your club's big issues for the rest of 2016 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-06/your-clubs-big-issues)

YvonneH
6th July 2016, 06:09 PM
This article says Tom will re-sign, so we can probably close this thread now
Burning questions: Your club's big issues for the rest of 2016 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-06/your-clubs-big-issues)

Not until he actually re-signs.

CureTheSane
6th July 2016, 06:58 PM
I like Mitchell. I think the Swans have put a lot in to him, and made him what he is. To a degree I see him as the Bjorn Borg (had the skills trained into him) type rather than the McEnroe type (full of natural talent)
But if we had to lose one of him, Parker, Kennedy or Hannebery, it would be Mitchell - particularly if we can bring someone in who adds something different to the team.

I'd suggest that Richards and McVeigh retire
Derickx delisted
Other trade bait MAY be Reid, McGlynn and a couple of reserves players who haven't broken in to the side and might ask to leave to get a gig.

Could be an interesting end of year...

Doctor
6th July 2016, 11:39 PM
He'll stay. His agent is just waiting for the new cap arrangements to ensure he gets the best deal he can for his client.

WauchopeAnalyst
7th July 2016, 08:20 AM
Not suprising that Hawks are coming hard for Tom.

Reported last night on Channel 7 Melbourne. If you have seen them this year they have flogged in contested footy and need a inside mid badly...

kilroy
7th July 2016, 08:58 AM
Hawks will be gifted Tom and the AFL will then reward the hawks for an amazing signing that they will allow hawks to then pick a top 3 player from each bottom 4 team.

swansrob
7th July 2016, 09:34 AM
I like Mitchell. I think the Swans have put a lot in to him, and made him what he is. To a degree I see him as the Bjorn Borg (had the skills trained into him) type rather than the McEnroe type (full of natural talent)
But if we had to lose one of him, Parker, Kennedy or Hannebery, it would be Mitchell - particularly if we can bring someone in who adds something different to the team.

I'd suggest that Richards and McVeigh retire
Derickx delisted
Other trade bait MAY be Reid, McGlynn and a couple of reserves players who haven't broken in to the side and might ask to leave to get a gig.

Could be an interesting end of year...
Ted is pretty much a certainty for retirement this year, but I don't think McVeigh will or should. Would McGlynn have much trade value about him? He'll be 31 next month, has a history of soft tissue injuries and a bit of a tendency to go missing at times. I think he's more likely to retire than be traded.
Agree on Derickx, though.

CureTheSane
7th July 2016, 12:51 PM
A lower ranked team would offer McGlynn a 1 year deal you'd think.
He's playing regular seniors at a highly ranked club.
If there are no offers for him, it speaks volumes to the rose coloured glasses we all may be wearing....

Ludwig
7th July 2016, 01:37 PM
If there are no offers for him, it speaks volumes to the rose coloured glasses we all may be wearing.... A lower ranked team would be looking more to add younger players to build toward the future. It would more likely come from a team in contention for the cup that needs to fill a specific role. If McGlynn loses his spot to Papley, let's say, it's a good indication that he's no longer up to senior footy at top level. He's really fallen away since he started that string of injuries and is not the player he was a couple of years ago. He turns 31 next month and it's hard to comeback from here.

AnnieH
7th July 2016, 01:45 PM
A lower ranked team would be looking more to add younger players to build toward the future. It would more likely come from a team in contention for the cup that needs to fill a specific role. If McGlynn loses his spot to Papley, let's say, it's a good indication that he's no longer up to senior footy at top level. He's really fallen away since he started that string of injuries and is not the player he was a couple of years ago. He turns 31 next month and it's hard to comeback from here.

Someone once said that about Goodesy when he was around the same age.
Personally, I think we need McGlynn.
He's our free kick magnet, i.e. don't touch him, it's automatic high contact.
;)

troyjones2525
7th July 2016, 02:02 PM
McGlynn should be out of the team this week and stay there until retirement/delisting at the end of the season unless we are decimated with injuries. He has been a great servant for the club but the game is moving past him and his poor skills by foot become more glaring by the week! Clubs need to make the hard calls on players to be able to win premierships and i believe that one needs to be made now for the benefit of the team.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

CureTheSane
7th July 2016, 02:52 PM
A lower ranked team would be looking more to add younger players to build toward the future. It would more likely come from a team in contention for the cup that needs to fill a specific role. If McGlynn loses his spot to Papley, let's say, it's a good indication that he's no longer up to senior footy at top level. He's really fallen away since he started that string of injuries and is not the player he was a couple of years ago. He turns 31 next month and it's hard to comeback from here.

OR, maybe they want a stable blue collar player to add some stability.
Who would you prefer at the Swans right now?
An "almost end of career" Stevie J, or McGlynn?
Sometimes experienced players can add quite a lot to a side where the team they left saw little value in them.

Ludwig
7th July 2016, 04:20 PM
Someone once said that about Goodesy when he was around the same age.
Personally, I think we need McGlynn.
He's our free kick magnet, i.e. don't touch him, it's automatic high contact.
;) At the same age, 5 years ago, AG was a superstar. He was our highest ranked player (DT), kicked 41 goals and had the highest average possessions of his career. Anyone suggesting Goodes was past it in 2011 would have been seriously delusional. I'd love to know the name of the person who said that, Annie. Surely you're making it up.

OR, maybe they want a stable blue collar player to add some stability.
Who would you prefer at the Swans right now?
An "almost end of career" Stevie J, or McGlynn?
Sometimes experienced players can add quite a lot to a side where the team they left saw little value in them. I'm not sure the point of your post. Surely everyone would take Stevie J. McGlynn has been good during the prime of his career, but Johnson was a star of exceptional talent. Johnson is demonstrating that he may not be at his prime, but is still playing at a high level. McGlynn, on the other hand, is just barely hanging on. He can still play, but is clearly below his best and fading. There are better options for us in our forward line.

CureTheSane
7th July 2016, 04:29 PM
There was some surprise when GSW took the 'risk' and took on Johnson.
What was he traded for? A fifth round future pick!
His value was pretty much nothing.

My point is that I wish we have traded for him.
Also that the eye of the beholder plays a role in this stuff.
Obviously GWS saw the merit in taking him on and it's paid huge dividends.
Fresh start at a new club for a player who was playing regular senior footy but the old club no longer saw the value in him
Might well ring true for McGlynn. Kind of in the same boat.

I think if he moved to a new club for a couple of years everyone here would be happy to see him thrive, as at this point of his career, you'd think the Swans have got the best from him they can get.

jono2707
7th July 2016, 05:33 PM
Geelong have done with Stevie J and a few others what other clubs are realising they sometimes need to do - cut loose a veteran even if they have a year or two left in order to either retain young talent on their list, or sign big names from elsewhere. I think this may happen to Benny at the end of this year. And we need to make calls like this if we want to maintain our young talent alongside Buddy and Tippett.

AnnieH
7th July 2016, 06:06 PM
At the same age, 5 years ago, AG was a superstar. He was our highest ranked player (DT), kicked 41 goals and had the highest average possessions of his career. Anyone suggesting Goodes was past it in 2011 would have been seriously delusional. I'd love to know the name of the person who said that, Annie. Surely you're making it up.

I'm not sure the point of your post. Surely everyone would take Stevie J. McGlynn has been good during the prime of his career, but Johnson was a star of exceptional talent. Johnson is demonstrating that he may not be at his prime, but is still playing at a high level. McGlynn, on the other hand, is just barely hanging on. He can still play, but is clearly below his best and fading. There are better options for us in our forward line.

As soon as Goodesy turned 29, he was considered "too old" to be playing by commentators.
At the time, I recall saying that someone had better tell Goodesy, he's playing like a 21 year old!!

barry
7th July 2016, 06:46 PM
Since GWS and the suns are out of their incubator days, i doubt there is much call for 31 year old fringe players

kilroy
7th July 2016, 06:47 PM
I dont recall any of that.

If anything commentators were amazed at how quick he still was for his age and size and were actually saying that he could go on and play past 400 games even more - until the 2012 GF when he did that knee.

After 2013 its when i heard commentators and media pundits start questioning his longevity.

Scottee
7th July 2016, 08:22 PM
There was some surprise when GSW took the 'risk' and took on Johnson.
What was he traded for? A fifth round future pick!
His value was pretty much nothing.

My point is that I wish we have traded for him.
Also that the eye of the beholder plays a role in this stuff.
Obviously GWS saw the merit in taking him on and it's paid huge dividends.
Fresh start at a new club for a player who was playing regular senior footy but the old club no longer saw the value in him
Might well ring true for McGlynn. Kind of in the same boat.

I think if he moved to a new club for a couple of years everyone here would be happy to see him thrive, as at this point of his career, you'd think the Swans have got the best from him they can get.
I'm sure the club would have been interested in him if not for the trade ban.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Dosser
7th July 2016, 08:48 PM
Caught on the radio that Hawthorn are into Tom Mitchell

56-14
7th July 2016, 09:05 PM

Sicily for Mitchell - sounds good to me.

Melbourne_Blood
7th July 2016, 09:27 PM
Id take Isaac smith for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8th July 2016, 01:08 AM
Alistair Clarkson for Mitchell

kidding! Keep Mitchell!!

YvonneH
8th July 2016, 09:26 AM
Hawthorn are after Tom Mitchell according to Damian Barrett, that's why talks are on hold.
Will we hear Gil says to them ' you can't have everyone'. Probably not.

Untamed Snark
8th July 2016, 02:27 PM
Hawthorn are after Tom Mitchell according to Damian Barrett, that's why talks are on hold.
Will we hear Gil says to them ' you can't have everyone'. Probably not.

Due to exemplary circumstances we have decided to boost hawthorn's salary cap for the next 2 seasons.

Levii3
9th July 2016, 01:15 AM

Don't know what situation with Brad Hill is with his recent "stuff"? but he would be a nice addiction on the outside he's a good kick and can run.

ScottH
9th July 2016, 12:52 PM
Mitchel proved his worth in the game last night.
Really got things going in tight many times.

chalbilto
9th July 2016, 02:22 PM
The club must make signing him up long term a priority. Also good news that Rohan wants to stay.

Markus26
9th July 2016, 08:49 PM
If Mitchell does go to Hawthorn (and it is a big IF), who would be a fair trade for him?

Mug Punter
9th July 2016, 08:57 PM
If Mitchell does go to Hawthorn (and it is a big IF), who would be a fair trade for him?

I'd imagine we'd look for a player trade but I'd be tempted to take their first rounder next year, in terms of players there's no way they'd let Sicily leave but I'd think maybe Schoenmakers

Industrial Fan
9th July 2016, 08:59 PM
I'd imagine we'd look for a player trade but I'd be tempted to take their first rounder next year, in terms of players there's no way they'd let Sicily leave but I'd think maybe Schoenmakerswould be better off with Jesse White. That offer would be welcome to the psd Tom

caj23
11th July 2016, 10:10 AM
If there are no offers for him, it speaks volumes to the rose coloured glasses we all may be wearing....

No chance that Benny would get picked up by another club, 31, injury prone, and now struggling for form. He'll either be with us or retired.

caj23
11th July 2016, 10:14 AM
Don't know what situation with Brad Hill is with his recent "stuff"? but he would be a nice addiction on the outside he's a good kick and can run.

Now that the Hawks are on the decline (while they sit on top of the ladder!!), he is being shown up as a one trick pony. Yes he can run and kick but he is incapable of getting the pill himself and seems to be having similar form issues to Lewis Jetta

Auntie.Gerald
11th July 2016, 10:22 AM
Hill would not gel with our dominant game plan me thinks

dimelb
11th July 2016, 11:30 AM

Dr Freud was right!

AnnieH
11th July 2016, 11:35 AM
I think I read an article somewhere over the weekend that Mitchell is on contract until the end of 2017 and isn't going anywhere.
Close the thread.

Ludwig
11th July 2016, 12:44 PM
I think I read an article somewhere over the weekend that Mitchell is on contract until the end of 2017 and isn't going anywhere.
Close the thread. I think it must be Sam Mitchell, who I think signed on for another season with Hawthorn.

CureTheSane
11th July 2016, 12:56 PM
No chance that Benny would get picked up by another club, 31, injury prone, and now struggling for form. He'll either be with us or retired.

If that's the case, and I'm not sure it is, then what you are doing as making a strong case for a delisting by the Swans.

Matt79
11th July 2016, 11:03 PM
Close the thread.

That was Sam Mitchell Annie. Our Tommy remains unsigned.

Levii3
11th July 2016, 11:19 PM
If Mitchell want to leave go to the hawks then if not Brad Hill who they would be willing to trade they would never trade Sicily. Tim O'Brien would be a good second forward option Sam Reid just keeps struggling to stay on the park.

If Mitchell were to leave wouldn't be that big a loss Issac is ready to play Midfield next year, we just need another forward option(should've kept Membrey)

dimelb
11th July 2016, 11:24 PM
If Mitchell want to leave go to the hawks then if not Brad Hill who they would be willing to trade they would never trade Sicily. Tim O'Brien would be a good second forward option Sam Reid just keeps struggling to stay on the park.

If Mitchell were to leave wouldn't be that big a loss Issac is ready to play Midfield next year, we just need another forward option (should've kept Membrey)

We've got them - Abaina Davis and X Richards.

Ludwig
12th July 2016, 12:12 AM

If Mitchell were to leave wouldn't be that big a loss Issac is ready to play Midfield next year, we just need another forward option(should've kept Membrey) if it does turn out that Tom Mitchell wants to go to the Hawks (and I don't think that this will happen), then we should trade for draft picks only. Most of their good players are over the hill and we really don't need any of their other players who aren't stars. They won't trade Sicily. Brad Hill is ordinary and many are calling for him to be dropped.

Since Hawthorn don't have any high enough draft picks, a possible trade might be: Tom Mitchell + our 2016 2nd round draft pick for Hawthorn's 1st round picks in 2016 and 2017. This sort of trade translates into a value points equivalent of around pick 8 or 9. I looks reasonable to me.

Levii3
12th July 2016, 12:33 AM
if it does turn out that Tom Mitchell wants to go to the Hawks (and I don't think that this will happen), then we should trade for draft picks only. Most of their good players are over the hill and we really don't need any of their other players who aren't stars. They won't trade Sicily. Brad Hill is ordinary and many are calling for him to be dropped.

Since Hawthorn don't have any high enough draft picks, a possible trade might be: Tom Mitchell + our 2016 2nd round draft pick for Hawthorn's 1st round picks in 2016 and 2017. This sort of trade translates into a value points equivalent of around pick 8 or 9. I looks reasonable to me.

JPK wasn't a star but has been top 3 player last 6 seasons for us. We make players better

Ludwig
12th July 2016, 04:10 AM
JPK wasn't a star but has been top 3 player last 6 seasons for us. We make players better It may very well be true that we make players better, but that has little to do with getting fair trade value.

In any case, I think Hawthorn are just as good as us at getting the most out of a player. Their coaching staff is widely regarded as the best in the business, and many assistants now hold top coaching jobs at other clubs.

As for JPK, he was was an emerging player at Hawthorn and once he got into the side in 2009 he held his spot for the final 10 games of the season. He was already showing that he could become a future star. To this day few can understand how Hawthorn let him go so cheaply, except that they couldn't offer him a role as an inside midfielder due to the strength of their team. It's not dissimilar to what the Swans are at this time where players like Mills, Heeney, Jones and Hewett can't break into the core midfield group.

kilroy
12th July 2016, 08:50 AM
I dont know if he was an emerging player, he just played the type of footy that was best suited to the swans and not the hawks, who at that stage were building a game plan around holding the ball and sharing it around until they found players in space.

They wouldn't have let him go if they saw the contested beast that we saw in 2009. Plus I honestly think being out of the spotlight and having zero pressure as opposed to being at a club were your old man was still part of the winning furniture from the 80s and ran a section of the club, would have helped immensely.

caj23
12th July 2016, 10:00 AM
If that's the case, and I'm not sure it is, then what you are doing as making a strong case for a delisting by the Swans.

I've got no idea of his contract status, nor where he sits in the pecking order with the match committee, but that is a possibility (although I'm sure they'd present it as a retirement). Personally I think he's got enough credits in the bank to earn another season, but it may depend on rookie elevations, other contracts etc. He may be vulnerable with us needing to fit Mitchell into the salary cap

What I can say with 100% certainty is that he is no chance to be playing at another AFL club next year

The Big Cat
13th July 2016, 12:17 PM
Brian Waldron on SEN is saying that Tom Mitchell is off to Hawthorn and will be replaced at the Swans by ...... Jaeger O'Meara!!! I think I'd take that.

ugg
13th July 2016, 12:42 PM
Brian Waldron on SEN is saying that Tom Mitchell is off to Hawthorn and will be replaced at the Swans by ...... Jaeger O'Meara!!! I think I'd take that.
Brian Waldron of Melbourne Storm salary cap cheating fame?

Plugger46
13th July 2016, 12:43 PM
Brian Waldron of Melbourne Storm salary cap cheating fame?

That's the one. Quite good to listen to actually.

The Big Cat
13th July 2016, 12:47 PM
Waldron also saying the news on the street is that Tom McDonald is in Swans' sights.

ugg
13th July 2016, 12:55 PM
That's the one. Quite good to listen to actually.
Okay but what would give him particular inside knowledge on AFL player movements?

dejavoodoo44
13th July 2016, 01:09 PM
Okay but what would give him particular inside knowledge on AFL player movements?
Hopefully he's been working behind the scenes at Hawthorn. I mean, (based on absolutely no evidence) I've often hoped that Hawthorn would one be revealed as the Melbourne Storm of AFL.

mcs
13th July 2016, 01:18 PM
Hopefully he's been working behind the scenes at Hawthorn. I mean, (based on absolutely no evidence) I've often hoped that Hawthorn would one be revealed as the Melbourne Storm of AFL.

The joy of such an occurrence would run a close 2nd to the elation of winning a flag :rofl:

He hardly strikes me as being someone that would be 'in the know' however.

I'd take O'Meara though - the guy is all class and just needs a change and to get his body right.

Plugger46
13th July 2016, 01:34 PM

I don't know but he went with Treloar to Collingwood earlier than anyone last year.

Ludwig
13th July 2016, 01:42 PM
I'd take O'Meara though - the guy is all class and just needs a change and to get his body right.A healthy O'Meara is no doubt a great player, but I think he wouldn't fit well at the Swans. We'd have too many young midfield stars. I think, psychologically, there would be too much internal competition with O'Meara playing alongside Heeney and Mills.

If Mitchell were to leave, I don't think he should be 'replaced' by a midfielder from outside the club. We have enough good midfielders already. I noticed that Melican is back on the injury list with yet another hamstring injury. I now think it is becoming increasingly likely that he will be cut this year. He looks promising, but hardly ever plays. Although Aliir has been a revelation, for one reason or another (mostly injury) we struggle with KPP depth. Reid also is back to a 2-3 proposition and you have to wonder whether he will actually play senior footy this year.

dejavoodoo44
13th July 2016, 01:51 PM
The joy of such an occurrence would run a close 2nd to the elation of winning a flag :rofl:

He hardly strikes me as being someone that would be 'in the know' however.

I'd take O'Meara though - the guy is all class and just needs a change and to get his body right.

Yes, perhaps they could make the ritualistic removal of three premiership trophies a televised event? They could finish the night, with each player getting a kick in the shins from a young Auskicker.

mcs
13th July 2016, 01:59 PM
A healthy O'Meara is no doubt a great player, but I think he wouldn't fit well at the Swans. We'd have too many young midfield stars. I think, psychologically, there would be too much internal competition with O'Meara playing alongside Heeney and Mills.

If Mitchell were to leave, I don't think he should be 'replaced' by a midfielder from outside the club. We have enough good midfielders already. I noticed that Melican is back on the injury list with yet another hamstring injury. I now think it is becoming increasingly likely that he will be cut this year. He looks promising, but hardly ever plays. Although Aliir has been a revelation, for one reason or another (mostly injury) we struggle with KPP depth. Reid also is back to a 2-3 proposition and you have to wonder whether he will actually play senior footy this year.

Its a fair point Ludwig, but if it was me, I'd snap up O'Meara in a heartbeat - get his body right and you have an A grade midfielder for a long time, guaranteed. As much as Heeney and Mills may end up in the midfield, given the revelation Mills has been in the backline, and Heeney up front (Though he is suffering from the 2nd year blues a bit), they may spend a lot longer out of the midfield group then most expected - when they can contribute so much playing elsewhere in the team, there shouldn't be a rush to get them into the middle, especially when our midfield group as it currently stand still has plenty to offer.

What is for sure is there are going to be no easy list management decisions at the club this year - we have a lot of talent coming through that we need to find space for and to keep at the club.

chuckie
13th July 2016, 02:03 PM
Brian Waldron worked at Richmond in their good years and StKilda as well.
I wasn't sure how to do a new post but just saw Adam Goodes guest presenting on Play School a natural.

Meg
13th July 2016, 02:38 PM
I wasn't sure how to do a new post but just saw Adam Goodes guest presenting on Play School a natural.

Just lovely!

Watching Play School Celebrity Covers Adam Goodes: Counting Aussie Animals In My Backyard in iview
Play School Celebrity Covers - Adam Goodes: Counting Aussie Animals In My Backyard : ABC iview (http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/play-school-celebrity-covers/CH1562H001S00)

AnnieH
13th July 2016, 04:15 PM
Just lovely!

Watching Play School Celebrity Covers Adam Goodes: Counting Aussie Animals In My Backyard in iview
Play School Celebrity Covers - Adam Goodes: Counting Aussie Animals In My Backyard : ABC iview (http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/play-school-celebrity-covers/CH1562H001S00)

That is so cool.
Thanks for sharing.

Maltopia
13th July 2016, 08:18 PM
O'Meara would be great. Kennedy is 28 and Jack 29 so we have to also plan for 2019 onwards where it is possible/likely Kennedy and/or Jack are on the decline. 2020 midfield: Hanners, Heeney, Mills, O'Mearea, Jones and Hewitt :)

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 08:51 PM
O'Meara would be great. Kennedy is 28 and Jack 29 so we have to also plan for 2019 onwards where it is possible/likely Kennedy and/or Jack are on the decline. 2020 midfield: Hanners, Heeney, Mills, O'Mearea, Jones and Hewitt :)

No space for Parker in that group?:)

It would be nice of we had Mitchell in that group and it shows why signing him would just be the cherry on top for our list management

Maltopia
13th July 2016, 09:07 PM
No space for Parker in that group?:)

It would be nice of we had Mitchell in that group and it shows why signing him would just be the cherry on top for our list management

Parker plays as a forward. Ok I confess, I forgot Parker hehe.

If we had Mitchell though (as you suggest), we wouldn't be able to get O'Meara though?

troyjones2525
13th July 2016, 09:12 PM
While i would be happy for Tom to stay as it would show to all the other clubs that we keep our good players and only let go who we want to let go, if we had to choose to let him go so we could sign a keen O'Meara we would be mad not to!

Yes i know he has had injury issues in his early career (so did Tom too remember?), but when on the field it looked like it was only a matter of time before he was the best player in that Gold Coast side, Ablett included!

I remember watching him play a couple of seasons back thinking wow, if only we had one like him in the swans to complement our hard working blue collar (but still talented) bunch. He would be the cream on top of the cake and looked like a future Brownlow medallist without a single doubt.

Yes i felt the same about Tom once too but the more I've seen of him, while he still is a great young player, he has some glaring weakness in his game most notably his ordinary foot skills and pace.

O'Meara didn't appear to have any weaknesses that i could see. He's a good size, clean hands, great speed, sublime skills and hard enough to win his own ball. And that was when he was a teenager! If he can get his body right again there is no telling what that kid could achieve and put him in the mix with our group coming through... Well I don't want to get too excited because these rumors always pop up about us but wow, if we could pull this off then it would be a dream come true! ????

liz
13th July 2016, 09:33 PM
O'Meara is reportedly (and yes, I understand you can't take every report at face value) looking for a contract >$800k pa. Regardless of how talented he is, that is an enormous amount for a young player who's barely played for two seasons and has an ongoing question mark on the condition of his knees. I imagine it is more than Parker, Hannebery or Kennedy are on. Given we already have a fair bit invested in two marquee forwards, and a couple of absolute young guns who will demand decent pay rises when their initial contracts expire, I can't see how O'Meara could possibly be an option for the Swans even if Mitchell were to leave. I can't imagine Mitchell will command a salary quite at that level, or if he does, the offer will come from a club that has very few good players and loads of salary cap space that it is obliged to use.

Auntie.Gerald
13th July 2016, 09:52 PM
Heeney and mills in their junior dats play a similar style to Omeara but maybe there is a delay on mills and Heeney moving into the midfield in 2017

Mills could become the next Luke hodge ie half the time in the midfield and 50% HBF

Omeara is reasonably quick off the mark

In saying all this the money for Mitchell must beyond what we can afford?? As I think Mitchell is a perfect player for the scg and our style of play

We use our hands more then kicking and Tom is amazingly quick at this

Auntie.Gerald
13th July 2016, 10:00 PM
Take A Deep Breath. A SUNS TV Feature - YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3NATAuJ9w)

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2016, 10:36 PM
Just how does us giving up Mitchell( to hawthorn) deliver us O'meara ( from Gold Coast) . I feel that's the burning question nobody has answered. Does it seem a tad odd that hawthorn would engage a three way trade to get Mitchell and deliver us O'meara when they could clearly just trade for O'meara if they are in a position to do so ?? My head hurts ....

The Big Cat
13th July 2016, 10:39 PM
Just how does us giving up Mitchell( to hawthorn) deliver us O'meara ( from Gold Coast) . I feel that's the burning question nobody has answered. Does it seem a tad odd that hawthorn would engage a three way trade to get Mitchell and deliver us O'meara when they could clearly just trade for O'meara if they are in a position to do so ?? My head hurts ....

Waldron was not suggesting a three way trade. He was saying that Mitchell was likely to go to Hawthorn and that the swans and O'Meara were linked.

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2016, 10:42 PM
surely they don't rate Mitchell ahead of O'meara ( assuming he regains full fitness). Not to downgrade Mitchell but j�ger looked like a future Brownlow medalist when fit, Mitchell looks like a consistent top 10 poller at his best. Can't work it out. What do hawthorn give up ?

Mug Punter
13th July 2016, 10:47 PM
O'Meara is reportedly (and yes, I understand you can't take every report at face value) looking for a contract >$800k pa. Regardless of how talented he is, that is an enormous amount for a young player who's barely played for two seasons and has an ongoing question mark on the condition of his knees. I imagine it is more than Parker, Hannebery or Kennedy are on. Given we already have a fair bit invested in two marquee forwards, and a couple of absolute young guns who will demand decent pay rises when their initial contracts expire, I can't see how O'Meara could possibly be an option for the Swans even if Mitchell were to leave. I can't imagine Mitchell will command a salary quite at that level, or if he does, the offer will come from a club that has very few good players and loads of salary cap space that it is obliged to use.

Agree with all of this, can't see us being able to afford him and doubt I'd want to give up what we'd need to trade him.

Essendon will be very very active participants during the trade period. The PSD should net them a very very good footballer and I could see them really go for O'Meara. Let's also assume they trade their Number 1 or 2 Pick to GWS for two players (let's say Hoskin-Elliot and Steele). Add three guns plus the guys they have coming back to that side that is having a crack at the moment and we can all stop laughing about them

It's possible this year ban could be the best thing that ever happened to that list of theirs

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2016, 11:18 PM
Waldron was not suggesting a three way trade. He was saying that Mitchell was likely to go to Hawthorn and that the swans and O'Meara were linked.

But if that was to eventuate surely hawthorn would have to engage in that trade. And to me it doesn't add up.

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2016, 11:35 PM
Nob head Damien Barrett suggesting we are offering 500k a season for mason wood from norf

Melbourne_Blood
13th July 2016, 11:37 PM
So if you believe the press were into Wood , MacDonald , and O'meara. And we might shed Tessys contract and some dead wood from the ressies. Can't afford 2 of them let alone 3.

troyjones2525
14th July 2016, 01:46 AM
Haven't seen much of Wood but the little i have seen it appears he is a tallish forward with a good left boot. I'd be happy enough to continue to develop Dawson who is pretty similar and showing promise in the reserves.

bloodsbigot
14th July 2016, 03:04 AM
If we go for this Wood fellow then all signs point to Mitchell leaving. That's pretty sad. Paying overs for him.

Go Swannies
14th July 2016, 11:49 AM
I heard $800,000. Makes Buddy look like a steal.

Markus26
14th July 2016, 01:03 PM
It's fascinating to see what exactly is going to happen. Will Mitchell stay or go? Will we get Wood, MacDonald, O'Meara or somebody else out of the box? All I know is I'm glad this legend is at the helm of player recruitment! 1560

penga
14th July 2016, 01:26 PM
It's fascinating to see what exactly is going to happen. Will Mitchell stay or go? Will we get Wood, MacDonald, O'Meara or somebody else out of the box? All I know is I'm glad this legend is at the helm of player recruitment!

I have just reported this post.. We don't want anyone else to know about him!!

NB: I didn't.

Auntie.Gerald
14th July 2016, 04:14 PM
Sam Reid moving on ?

Mug Punter
14th July 2016, 05:58 PM
Sam Reid moving on ?

I wouldn't have thought so. His versatility as a KPD backup for next year will be quite valuable.

He's out of contract at the end of next year and will be a restricted free agent though. He's on $500k a year and for mine he is not earning anywhere near that. So I wouldn't be surprised to see us let him go next year for a compensation pick and a spare $500k in the cap

aardvark
14th July 2016, 06:00 PM
Sam Reid moving on ?

Can't move he's too injured.

14th July 2016, 06:30 PM
So we are linked to KPF Wood, gun mid O,Meara, KPD McDonald, running HB Tuohy.

Reckon if we get all four we could challenge for next years flag ...... but then we'd have to be letting some of our better ranked players go.

Really is an early start to silly season. It may be that in the end Mitchell and Reid are re-signed and we don't grab anyone significant this trade period.

What do we really need to add to our list to improve?
If Reid comes good then maybe he is the KPF we need given that Tippo is primarily now a ruckman. Do we need Wood in that case?
Do we let Mitchell go due to an excess of inside mids and if we did would it come back to bite us Hawks/JPK style? How would the Hawks manage to get the trade done for Mitchell given their first pick is likely in the too far out 15-18 range?
O'Meara is elite so wouldn't mind rolling the dice there, adds another dimension to our midfield. Mitchell would need to go so we could afford O'Meara and get the trade done.
Is Tuohy being mentioned purely because he is out of contract and Carlton is a possible Mitchell destination.
Is McDonald really needed at this point in time?

Regardless of rumours, I trust the recruiting staff to get us the right outcome once again, they are legends!

dimelb
14th July 2016, 08:04 PM
Ch 7 news, Tom Harley dismissed outright any rumours about Wood.

mcs
14th July 2016, 08:56 PM

Also on the AFL website with quotes - sounds like as some suspected its just an agent trying to inflate the value of his client.

dejavoodoo44
14th July 2016, 11:43 PM

Yes, he said that he actually called up North, to explain that the first our staff heard about our alleged interest in Wood, was when we read about it in the media. Probably yet another case of fact free reporting.

AnnieH
15th July 2016, 09:41 AM
After his game last night, any team who want him, can have him (Mitchell).
We'll throw in Towers as well.

ScottH
15th July 2016, 11:15 AM
After his game last night, any team who want him, can have him (Mitchell).
We'll throw in Towers as well.

Been waiting for that one!!
Did good twice in the final minutes, only to give it up seconds later. :(

mcs
15th July 2016, 11:30 AM
Been waiting for that one!!
Did good twice in the final minutes, only to give it up seconds later. :(

That's what frustrates me with Towers. You've highlighted the two late on in the game - but several other times, he followed a really good bit of play (good weaving in traffic, good positioning or whatever) with some stupid to follow. His decision making is his downfall, and I just don't think that is something we are going to easily fix anytime soon. He is just like Jesse White - looks the part, sometimes almost plays the part, but not quite all there :(

barry
15th July 2016, 01:12 PM
The Hawks interest in Mitchel comes out the week before we play them.

Sounds suss to me. Sounds like a tactic to get under the swans skin. They look at us and say who is a star that has some speculation of leaving. Lets put out a rumor he's coming to us, to sow some seed of disunity.

15th July 2016, 01:23 PM
The Hawks interest in Mitchel comes out the week before we play them.

Sounds suss to me. Sounds like a tactic to get under the swans skin. They look at us and say who is a star that has some speculation of leaving. Lets put out a rumor he's coming to us, to sow some seed of disunity.

Yeah, I thought that last week.

Nico
20th July 2016, 03:08 PM
On SEN today Brett Anderson (who is usually pretty good on draft and trading) said that players that are on the move will know by about Round 9. They were specifically talking about Hurley and the fact that he hasn't re-signed with Essendon. If he is on the money, the fact that Mitchell hasn't signed is significant.

There was a rumour early in the season that Hurley was going to Sydney but I have heard nothing since. Anderson was guessing when he said Richmond and Footscray was a good fit. He then went on to say that he wasn't interested in Richmond. There has been talk that Hawthorn is interested. I don't think anyone knows his thoughts. Anderson said there was a lot of pressure from Head Office (I think he meant AFL) to re-sign.

If Mitchell went to Hawthorn as has been rumoured, then we will stand to lose; Mitchell, McGlynn (cooked) Richards (retire) and even Nankervis. I am sure in that lot there is well and truly enough to lure Hurley as a backman. I don't like him as a forward but would take him as a back. Buddy kept his mouth shut, maybe Hurley has been able to do that so far.

On Nankervis; he hasn't signed and yes that article yesterday was just an article, but maybe he is off elsewhere given what Longmire said about keeping talls.

Industrial Fan
20th July 2016, 03:22 PM
Talks went on hold for a month roughly a month ago now. No signature in the next two weeks and he's a goner.

The "leave it till end of season" is a well trodden path to the exit doors.

chalbilto
20th July 2016, 09:58 PM
Talks went on hold for a month roughly a month ago now. No signature in the next two weeks and he's a goner.

The "leave it till end of season" is a well trodden path to the exit doors.

I tend to agree with you.Either his manager is playing funny buggers, giving him bad advice or he is going. The longer he doesn't sign he more likelihood that he is gone. I would be really disappointed if he went to the Hawks, especially after the trade bans imposed on us and Gil's comment "that you can't have everyone". That comment still grates with me.

Maltopia
20th July 2016, 10:15 PM
I tend to agree with you.Either his manager is playing funny buggers, giving him bad advice or he is going. The longer he doesn't sign he more likelihood that he is gone. I would be really disappointed if he went to the Hawks, especially after the trade bans imposed on us and Gil's comment "that you can't have everyone". That comment still grates with me.

Prediction: Hawks get our Mitchell and we get a third round pick, plus a trade ban :D

Matt79
20th July 2016, 10:22 PM
I reckon he is good as gone. His form has certainly dropped since his manager came out and said talks are on hold. Now we hope for a fair deal.

The Big Cat
21st July 2016, 12:01 AM
Its interesting what he reckons he's worth. His manager says he's had no contact from other clubs. (Yeah, right)

liz
21st July 2016, 01:08 AM
Mitchell is a fine young player, and one who I think will improve. He's a valuable part of our current onball brigade. That said, if he goes he goes. I'd be far more devastated if this was Luke Parker we were fretting about.

I am very mindful that we have a young man, currently playing in our backline, who will graduate to the midfield in the very near future and command an important place in the onball division. If you've been impressed thus far by how Mills goes about his footy, you've not seen anything yet. Based on his NEAFL football from years past, he's a natural inside ball winner. He sees ball, gets ball, and is also adept at feeding it out to other players. Sure, there is always a question mark around whether a young player will be able to translate to senior AFL footy what he can do at a lower level. But having observed how seamlessly he's fitted into the defensive unit despite not playing there throughout his junior career, I have close to no doubts that Mills will similarly deliver as a midfielder at AFL level.

There's Heeney too, though he's more of a predator by instinct, lurking slightly outside packs and choosing his moment to pounce, rather than getting stuck into the heart of a pack and extracting the ball. I suspect he might follow a similar path to Hannebery, initially functioning more effectively as more of an outside mid (who can also tackle hard and win the ground ball in one-on-one contests), and then gradually developing pack extraction abilities as he develops.

While I am loathe to say that a player of Mitchell's abilities is expendable, I believe we will still have an exceedingly strong midfield group if he does decide to move on.

vleung1208
21st July 2016, 08:41 AM
Nicely put Liz. It would be nice to keep Mitchell but if it adds to our salary cap pressures, it is going to make things difficult in the long run. Plus we do have some up and comers in Mills and Heeney ready to join the fab 4 of Parker, Kennedy, Jack and Hanners. Kennedy is out of contract after next year but no doubt the Swans will lock him up.

Untamed Snark
21st July 2016, 09:12 AM
Prediction: Hawks get our Mitchell and we get a third round pick, plus a trade ban :D

Probably have to pay the first ha;f of his contract too

barry
21st July 2016, 10:37 AM
Gill's leadership has failed the competition. A well run competition has movement of teams up and down the ladder. When a team sits at the bottom of the ladder and stays there, they loose ground significantly. Even their viability gets questioned. This is not healthly. In a comp, a team always has to finish last, but it should be by anomaly (lots of injuries, bad luck,... lots of drug suspensions). Similarly, some team has to win, but that should be an anomaly (no injuries, luck, etc), to make at least the top 10 teams think they have a good chance any given year.

Gill has presided over a period where the Brisbane Lions are so far behind the rest of the comp that they are level pegging with a team who has 15 players suspended. Thats 15 good players behind the rest of the comp. No wonder players arent hanging around. He's also openly baracking for Hawthorn to win 4 flags (5 in 6 years). The only people enjoying that are Hawthorn fans. They are poaching players by free agency to stay on top.
Mitchell would be the icing on the cake.

What a disgrace Gill is. A complete failure.

Melbourne_Blood
21st July 2016, 12:21 PM
What can we expect in Compensation for Mitchell. Surely hawthorns 1st round pick won't be enough.

Doctor J.
21st July 2016, 12:42 PM
Gill's leadership has failed the competition. A well run competition has movement of teams up and down the ladder. When a team sits at the bottom of the ladder and stays there, they loose ground significantly. Even their viability gets questioned. This is not healthly. In a comp, a team always has to finish last, but it should be by anomaly (lots of injuries, bad luck,... lots of drug suspensions). Similarly, some team has to win, but that should be an anomaly (no injuries, luck, etc), to make at least the top 10 teams think they have a good chance any given year.

Gill has presided over a period where the Brisbane Lions are so far behind the rest of the comp that they are level pegging with a team who has 15 players suspended. Thats 15 good players behind the rest of the comp. No wonder players arent hanging around. He's also openly baracking for Hawthorn to win 4 flags (5 in 6 years). The only people enjoying that are Hawthorn fans. They are poaching players by free agency to stay on top.
Mitchell would be the icing on the cake.

What a disgrace Gill is. A complete failure.

Agree with 99.5% of this.

Its 5 in 9 years 2008-2016 (inclusive)

crackedactor
21st July 2016, 01:42 PM
Agree with 99.5% of this.

Its 5 in 9 years 2008-2016 (inclusive)

For the sake of it, I also agree 99.5%. People whinge about us getting Franklin and Tippett, but say nothing about Hawthorn getting Frawley and Lake and a number 2 draft pick despite winning 5 flag since 2008?? Quite remarkable! They can even play 3 quarters of hard physical pressure football and give away only 3 free kicks. If you examine all the facts and figures, there really are the protected species.

Auntie.Gerald
21st July 2016, 01:49 PM
Hale
McEvoy
Burgoyne
Gunston

The Big Cat
21st July 2016, 01:58 PM
Don't forget Gibson

ScottH
21st July 2016, 02:28 PM
Hale
McEvoy
Burgoyne
Gunston

Frawley

rb4x
21st July 2016, 02:46 PM
Spangher

Doctor J.
21st July 2016, 09:35 PM
Lake

goswannies
21st July 2016, 10:12 PM
If the Crows can sign JJ after overtures from all and sundry surely we can get the deal done for Mitchell??

annew
21st July 2016, 11:04 PM
Listening to Barry Mitchell on Footology & my opinion is Tom is gone

Industrial Fan
21st July 2016, 11:05 PM
What is that?

annew
21st July 2016, 11:18 PM
What is that?
Should be footyology and is Rohan Connolly and Mark Fine. Barry Mitchell was a guest on it.

Industrial Fan
21st July 2016, 11:36 PM
Tv show or radio? Never heard of it is all

ugg
21st July 2016, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmL6WSJSSJY

monopoly19
22nd July 2016, 12:26 AM
That definitely doesn't make me feel overly optimistic about him staying! I don't blame him for looking for more cash but I'd be disappointed to see him go, particularly straight after his first consistent season for us.

goswannies
22nd July 2016, 01:58 AM
Listening to Barry Mitchell on Footology & my opinion is Tom is gone

I didn't get that impression. I got the impression both parties were still trying to work things out & that Tom is still relatively happy where he is.

& that Barry can't remember things too well. Didn't know when the Swans moved to Sydney. Couldn't accurately recall Tom's age. Couldn't remember how many years he's Ben in the AFL system. That's a bit harsh I know, as he's put on the spot. It was just my impression

Ludwig
22nd July 2016, 03:17 AM
I got the feeling that Barry Mitchell really isn't involved in Tom's contract negotiations and doesn't know how it will go. He seems like a nice enough guy, but if I were Tom, I'd rather he'd stay out of the talks and I wouldn't be asking for advice. Barry doesn't seem the sort of person that would be much help, and I don't mean that in an offensive way. It just doesn't seem like his forte.

For whatever it's worth, Scoop McClure thinks Tom's staying with the Swans.

The Swans may be weighing up the value of keeping Tom vs getting a couple of high draft picks for him and fill a few future needs with high draft picks in the next couple of years. Reid is often injured and is a free agent next year, so he might not be around for the long haul, we really can't count of AJ coming back from so many operations, and now there's a cloud over Talia. The Swans operations would have a better knowledge of the future of these players than we would.

bloodsbigot
22nd July 2016, 04:32 AM
The Swans may be weighing up the value of keeping Tom vs getting a couple of high draft picks for him and fill a few future needs with high draft picks in the next couple of years.

I question the value of high draft pics when it's all just a big gamble, really. Meredith, Rocca etc.

We've been more successful with just going with mediocre/underappreciated players at other clubs. Richards, Mumford, Shaw, Morton, Mattner etc.

We seldom get high draft picks correct, so that's why if we lose Mitchell for a couple of high draft picks I'll be incredibly disappointed. It's pure guesswork. We could have had Rioli and Dangerfield for goodness sake.

Auntie.Gerald
22nd July 2016, 07:36 AM
I still believe that given our style has evolved bit by bit with the players we have in the squad maturing that we need another midfielder that is more an outside player with great kicking skill

Heeney and mills and Hewitt are moving into the midfield bit by bit anyway

It is not a loss we can not cover and he maybe a late first round pick ? Treloar was pick 8 swap by the pies ?

Kirk31
22nd July 2016, 09:06 AM
It is very interesting. In an article a few days ago his manager says its more money the Swans must offer. I guess the Swans would be weighing this all up however there is a limit to what the Swans would pay. I am sure whatever happens it will be the right thing for the Swans. Do I want to see Mitchell running around against us - NO. However I don't want us to pay overs for somebody when it could cost us somebody else from staying or us getting. Remember we trade for position, draft for talent.

cherub
22nd July 2016, 10:40 AM
How could we have had Dangerfield? Rioli didn't want to come.

Steve
22nd July 2016, 10:42 AM
Unless Mitchell Snr said anything else that was contradictory, the quotes from that interview don't seem overly negative.

Carlton join the queue for Gold Coast's Dion Prestia (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-carlton-blues-join-the-queue-for-gold-coast-sun-dion-prestia-20160718-gq8lel.html)

With all of Hawthorn's old brigade now likely to play on, that leaves less money to chase recruits like Mitchell.

Prestia, O'Meara and others are higher priorities for the likes of Hawthorn and Carlton anyway - so Mitchell still as to be cautious about pushing too hard with us, given he is expendable.

He also can't just walk to his preferred club as a free agent or the PSD, so I think the most likely outcome is still that we come back with a little bit more money and he accepts.

Flying South
22nd July 2016, 11:10 AM
I would have thought that if the contract negotiations were purely about money and term it would have been done by now. The fact that it is dragging on indicates to me to me either of two things. He is going. Or there is a complex deal going on with other clubs and players. Example, Sydney, Carlton and GC, Mitchell & Prestia to Carlton, O'Meara to Sydney, players and picks to GC. Just an example only, but complex negotiations take time.

magic.merkin
22nd July 2016, 12:14 PM
Or...... they are all waiting for the new CBA to drop so they know what $ is in the kitty going forward....

Ludwig
22nd July 2016, 12:53 PM
I question the value of high draft pics when it's all just a big gamble, really. Meredith, Rocca etc.

We've been more successful with just going with mediocre/underappreciated players at other clubs. Richards, Mumford, Shaw, Morton, Mattner etc.

We seldom get high draft picks correct, so that's why if we lose Mitchell for a couple of high draft picks I'll be incredibly disappointed. It's pure guesswork. We could have had Rioli and Dangerfield for goodness sake.I agree with you about the risk of high draft picks and that it's better if you can find more of a known quantity. But the situation this year is complicated by the fact that there are no obvious options that wouldn't break our salary cap. I thought the rumour about Mason Wood would have been a good one, if true. Only time will tell. The others I'd be interested in are not big names: Jack Leslie of GCS, McStay, who is now injured and Finlayson of the Giants.

I think our record in the draft has been better in recent years. It's been hard to judge because in 3 we had priority selections in Mitchell, Heeney and Mills and a few other drafts were compromised by the expansion teams. Zak Jones followed by Hewett were good choices in the 2013.

We also have a bit of a squeeze on the number of live draft choices we might have this year because of forced rookie upgradings and not many players to delist, so it might turn out that 2 or at the most 3 live picks in the top part of the draft may be the best option available. I also think there will be a few interesting prospects in this year's draft for us that might fall between picks 15 and 25.

We also need to look at our current list and decide which players are serious chances to become regular AFL players, because when you bring in an established player, you close off a slot for one of these prospects. We've got several playing in our reserves this year, including Newman, COR, Dawson and Abe Davis who all look to be a very good chance to succeed. Players who don't get opportunities tend to leave, like Tim Membrey. I think we knew he was going to be a good player, but couldn't wait for his opportunity.

Going to the draft buys the club a couple of years in player development and allows the current lot to move through the system and prove their value.

AnnieH
22nd July 2016, 02:07 PM
Unless Mitchell Snr said anything else that was contradictory, the quotes from that interview don't seem overly negative.

Carlton join the queue for Gold Coast's Dion Prestia (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-carlton-blues-join-the-queue-for-gold-coast-sun-dion-prestia-20160718-gq8lel.html)

With all of Hawthorn's old brigade now likely to play on, that leaves less money to chase recruits like Mitchell.

Prestia, O'Meara and others are higher priorities for the likes of Hawthorn and Carlton anyway - so Mitchell still as to be cautious about pushing too hard with us, given he is expendable.

He also can't just walk to his preferred club as a free agent or the PSD, so I think the most likely outcome is still that we come back with a little bit more money and he accepts.

The old brigade said they'd take pay cuts if they have to (in yesterday's paper).

RogueSwan
22nd July 2016, 02:12 PM
... we need another midfielder that is more an outside player with great kicking skill..
I didn't think we wanted Jetta back? :smile:

barry
22nd July 2016, 02:58 PM
I didn't think we wanted Jetta back? :smile:

Do you think we'd take Jetta back if he was delisted by the eagles.

Malthouse made a good comment about him on Marngrook last night, that as soon as teams realised that he could be stopped by restricting his space, his game has gone down hill, and he basically has to reinvent himself to continue in AFL.

KTigers
22nd July 2016, 03:49 PM
We could trade Sinclair for him. Both clubs could say, "it seemed like a good idea at the time"....

AnnieH
22nd July 2016, 04:05 PM
We could trade Sinclair for him. Both clubs could say, "it seemed like a good idea at the time"....

Gold, KT.

Steve
22nd July 2016, 05:00 PM
The old brigade said they'd take pay cuts if they have to (in yesterday's paper).

But they won't be playing for $50K and Hawthorn would originally have been planning for at least one, and probably two retirements. Even taking pay cuts S.Mitchell, Gibson and Burgoyne would cost them $1M and I'm sure any interest in Mitchell would have been as a second recruit - not as a No.1 priority they would throw all their money at.

I might be wrong but I read the T.Mitchell negotiations different what most seem to. All the talk a couple of months ago from the club and his manager were that it was a formality, they've obviously gone back and asked for more, and it was beyond what we had planned for. It would be getting tight after all the other recent long-term re-signings.

But I think our negotiating style is not to stuff around, and put our best offer forward (or at least very close to it) first. Usually there might be a small bit of adjusting to meet the player's demands, and then it's signed off. However on principle we couldn't have gone away for a couple of days and then come back and agree to a lot more money - clearly things haven't broken down completely, but I would expect when we next go back there is a moderate change in our offer, hopefully enough to satisfy Mitchell.

It would be irresponsible at this point to commit money that we either i) aren't sure as to exactly how much will be there - in terms of guessing what the TPP amount will be, or ii) are leaving up our sleeve to recruit a decent player to fill a more pressing need.

Mitchell just isn't the sort of player anyone (including other clubs) would pay over-the-odds for. I don't think his manager has ever represented anyone who he hadn't dealt with at the Swans anyway.

azzzr
22nd July 2016, 08:11 PM
Damien Barrett had some strong words on the rub just now, saying "Mitchell and his management not even responding to the clubs offers now, not saying that defiantly means his going but if he hasn't signed by round 18 its a strong indication his going"

mcs
22nd July 2016, 08:15 PM
But they won't be playing for $50K and Hawthorn would originally have been planning for at least one, and probably two retirements. Even taking pay cuts S.Mitchell, Gibson and Burgoyne would cost them $1M and I'm sure any interest in Mitchell would have been as a second recruit - not as a No.1 priority they would throw all their money at.

I might be wrong but I read the T.Mitchell negotiations different what most seem to. All the talk a couple of months ago from the club and his manager were that it was a formality, they've obviously gone back and asked for more, and it was beyond what we had planned for. It would be getting tight after all the other recent long-term re-signings.

But I think our negotiating style is not to stuff around, and put our best offer forward (or at least very close to it) first. Usually there might be a small bit of adjusting to meet the player's demands, and then it's signed off. However on principle we couldn't have gone away for a couple of days and then come back and agree to a lot more money - clearly things haven't broken down completely, but I would expect when we next go back there is a moderate change in our offer, hopefully enough to satisfy Mitchell.

It would be irresponsible at this point to commit money that we either i) aren't sure as to exactly how much will be there - in terms of guessing what the TPP amount will be, or ii) are leaving up our sleeve to recruit a decent player to fill a more pressing need.

Mitchell just isn't the sort of player anyone (including other clubs) would pay over-the-odds for. I don't think his manager has ever represented anyone who he hadn't dealt with at the Swans anyway.

Haven't you heard about Hawthorn's flexible salary cap? They'll just change the parameters and fit them all in and the rest of the league will look in on 'awe' of their ability to find space for yet another high $$$ recruit :rofl

I agree with those that suggest its all about waiting to see what the TPP might just be before making a final offer.

Velour&Ruffles
23rd July 2016, 12:14 AM
Haven't you heard about Hawthorn's flexible salary cap? They'll just change the parameters and fit them all in and the rest of the league will look in on 'awe' of their ability to find space for yet another high $$$ recruit :rofl

Correct. They, unlike some other clubs, ARE allowed to have everything.

Melbourne_Blood
23rd July 2016, 12:14 AM
Could Mitchell leaving be a blessing in disguise ? I would love to keep him, but our midfield brigade is pretty strong with Heeney and Mills to find spots in there and Hewett also a potential gun. ( along with Parker, Hanners and Joey ) If we can trade in a good outside player ( or draft pick ) then I think it could be a good thing, structurally , for our team.

RogueSwan
23rd July 2016, 02:56 PM
Could Mitchell leaving be a blessing in disguise ? I would love to keep him, but our midfield brigade is pretty strong with Heeney and Mills to find spots in there and Hewett also a potential gun. ( along with Parker, Hanners and Joey ) If we can trade in a good outside player ( or draft pick ) then I think it could be a good thing, structurally , for our team.

But, for mine, Mitchell has been better than most of our midfield this year. Parker started well, Kennedy has been consistent but not his best, Hanners has been very good, Kizza has played a couple of really good games. Tom has played a lot of really A Grade games and world be sorely missed.

Maltopia
23rd July 2016, 04:03 PM
Tom Mitchell's contract talks on hold until end of season - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-23/tom-mitchells-contract-talks-on-hold-until-end-of-season)

longmile
23rd July 2016, 04:44 PM
Tom Mitchell's contract talks on hold until end of season - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-23/tom-mitchells-contract-talks-on-hold-until-end-of-season)

He's gone

bloodsbigot
23rd July 2016, 04:48 PM

Suspect you could be right.

barry
23rd July 2016, 05:01 PM
After today, carlton have withdrawn their offer

goswannies
23rd July 2016, 05:28 PM
I love Tom. Love the father/son nostalgia. Love his work rate & improved defensive efforts & tackling.
But I don't love that he (or his manager) seem to be holding the club to ransom.
Watching him closely recently, don't love dinky, close in handballs. Don't love the lookaway handball. Don't love the flick the ball over the head under pressure. Would dearly hope he is a passionate player who loves the Swans & wants to be here. But I'm not feeling it at the moment ????

aardvark
23rd July 2016, 05:33 PM
He's not doing himself any favors playing the way he is. Staying or going he's not helping his next contract.

Cheer_Cheer
23rd July 2016, 05:39 PM
After today, carlton have withdrawn their offer

He was one of there best players..

Ludwig
23rd July 2016, 05:40 PM
I'm beginning to think that we can drop the 'disguise' from the blessing. He's too slow and turns the ball over too much. He's a liability when in our defensive zone because he can't take more than a couple of steps without getting tackled. We look a better team with someone like Heeney playing his role.

Let's get the best trade we can for him and move on. I'm sure he'll do well at a team that needs a good ball winning inside midfielder, but that's not us.

If we can't get a good KPP in exchange for him, I wouldn't mind going into the draft with 3 picks inside 40. I think there's some reasonable talent this year in areas that could help us down the road.

azzzr
23rd July 2016, 05:40 PM
is it bad which i only care if he goes, if he ends up at hawthorn? �\_(?)_/�

Industrial Fan
23rd July 2016, 06:37 PM
Yep, he's gone.

bloodsbigot
23rd July 2016, 07:04 PM
is it bad which i only care if he goes, if he ends up at hawthorn? �\_(?)_/�

Yeah same here. As long as it's not Hawthorn I'm not bothered by his departure at all.

It saddens me that all our father-son picks have been stolen from us by other asshole clubs.