PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell watch

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

liz
29th March 2010, 01:18 AM
It's not too soon (or too optimistic) to be keeping an eye on the progress of Tom Mitchell, is it?

Apparently he gathered 41 possessions and laid 8 tackles playing for the Claremont Colts at the weekend.

Rod_
29th March 2010, 03:00 AM
Good news

Seems he will be worth the father son selection

Rod_

Jeffers1984
29th March 2010, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know what kind of style midfielder Tom is? Is he one of those mega classy silky smooth gut running types like Cousins/Murphy?

hammo
29th March 2010, 09:12 AM
It could be a long 18 months!

Primmy
29th March 2010, 09:37 AM
Ooohhh goody, Mitchell watch. No its not too soon Liz. Its going to be a few years before we can indulge in a Kelly watch (or a Roosy, or Luffy and I hear they are possibilities maybe, but oh boy can't wait for the O'Loughlin, Barry, and Kirky possibilities, no pressure of course) , so lets practice on Tom. Stats welcome.

giant
29th March 2010, 09:39 AM
At least he's playing for the right team - the mighty Claremont Colts!

Reggi
29th March 2010, 09:06 PM
or a Roosy, or Luffy a

Roos played 98 games? Don't think his boys will be eligible for us, bizarelly

laughingnome
29th March 2010, 10:18 PM
Roos played 98 games? Don't think his boys will be eligible for us.

Brisbane (Fitzroy) will obviously lay first claim to the next generation of Roos, but not all hope is lost. If Sydney thinks they have a case for it they can appeal for an exemption to the AFL on the grounds that a) Paul Roos played 98 games for us and b) has coached Sydney/South Melbourne in more games then anyone else (200 by season's end). But The Swans would have to fight for it, and there's no telling if it would be successful or not.

Triple B
29th March 2010, 10:49 PM
Brisbane (Fitzroy) will obviously lay first claim to the next generation of Roos, but not all hope is lost. If Sydney thinks they have a case for it they can appeal for an exemption to the AFL on the grounds that a) Paul Roos played 98 games for us and b) has coached Sydney/South Melbourne in more games then anyone else (200 by season's end). But The Swans would have to fight for it, and there's no telling if it would be successful or not.

Is there any precedent for that or are u just making it up?

I doubt other clubs would be happy and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Of course it is all irrelevant unless they prove to be gun juniors.

I doubt they may have the hunger, after all, they've graced the winners dias on GF day already.

ugg
29th March 2010, 10:54 PM
Roos played 87 games for us. Plugger might be the player you're thinking of on 98 games. A few notable names also just missed out

Schwass, Schneider 98
Nick Davis 97
Jason Ball 90
Capper 89
Schauble 88

BSA5
30th March 2010, 01:19 AM
We could get our hands on Roos' kids through the Academy anyway. Assuming it's anything like the NSW Scholarship scheme, it would trump, or at least be equal to, the Father/Son rule.

hammo
30th March 2010, 07:24 AM
We could get our hands on Roos' kids through the Academy anyway. Assuming it's anything like the NSW Scholarship scheme, it would trump, or at least be equal to, the Father/Son rule.

This is correct. The scholarship scheme would also mean using a lower draft pick than may be required under f/s.

liz
30th March 2010, 08:39 AM
This is correct. The scholarship scheme would also mean using a lower draft pick than may be required under f/s.

Under existing scholarship scheme yes, but under the new academy, the same bidding process will apply as the FS rule.

laughingnome
30th March 2010, 10:12 AM
Is there any precedent for that or are u just making it up?

I doubt other clubs would be happy and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Well, if you go back to the start of it all Barassi Junior was a Demon owing to a direct appeal to the VFL. Under the Zone he was Carlton's to pass up on. More recently this is a rare occuance but there is nothing to stop it happening. What grievance could, say, Geelong have to such an appeal? It does not affect their chances of recruiting the player and any precedent set would rarely be enacted given most coaches are of the age whereby their children are already in or past the system. If either of Roos' kids was a serious option I can't imagine why the Swans wouldn't explore every option available to them, and this is one. As others have mentioned the Acadamy is another.

goswannie14
30th March 2010, 11:08 AM
I doubt they may have the hunger, after all, they've graced the winners dias on GF day already.:rofl

Primmy
30th March 2010, 11:13 AM
Roos played 87 games for us. Plugger might be the player you're thinking of on 98 games. A few notable names also just missed out

Schwass, Schneider 98
Nick Davis 97
Jason Ball 90
Capper 89
Schauble 88

Capper only played 89!!!!!!! Well what has he been bleeting on about being the heart strings and hero of the club......and having a tanty when not named in team of the century.....

Anyway, getting back to Mitchelll.....

Nico
30th March 2010, 09:41 PM
Capper only played 89!!!!!!! Well what has he been bleeting on about being the heart strings and hero of the club......and having a tanty when not named in team of the century.....

Anyway, getting back to Mitchelll.....

Wasn't his fault he left. Was sold to pay debts IIRC. Plus he was no favourite of one of the great dud coaches of all time in Colin Kinnear. Fantastic player for us by any criteria.

Nico
30th March 2010, 09:44 PM
Is there not a clause on games coached in the F/S rule? You would reckon 200 games coached would be a fair qualification. I thought the spirit of the rule was the service that a father gave a club over an extended period.

dimelb
30th March 2010, 10:16 PM
Is there not a clause on games coached in the F/S rule? You would reckon 200 games coached would be a fair qualification. I thought the spirit of the rule was the service that a father gave a club over an extended period.
Makes sense to me. But that might be the last thing that makes it a rule. :frown

troyjones2525
17th April 2010, 12:44 AM
Please tell me we are guaranteed to get him! Another BOG for the AIS Academy! The quality polished mid we are after especially when Kirky and Jude will be finishing up by then!

Primmy
17th April 2010, 09:11 AM
Saw that. Well if we start the nagging now, we should get somewhere. Hope Stuey is on the case.

UglyDuckling
17th April 2010, 11:26 AM
Another win for AIS-AFL Academy - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92493/default.aspx)

Australia too strong for SA's Lions - AFL.com.au (http://cms.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/92143/default.aspx)

I think he was one if the AIS's best players against us a coupe of weeks ago as well. Just keeps racking up the BOG's playing with the most talented 17 year olds in the draft.

If he keeps if up he might completely save our 2011 draft just imagine if we can get a player worth a top 5 pick for a pick in the 30's what a score that would be.

Triple B
17th April 2010, 11:49 AM
If he keeps if up he might completely save our 2011 draft just imagine if we can get a player worth a top 5 pick for a pick in the 30's what a score that would be.

If he is a geuine Top 5 prospect, there is no way we will get him in the 30's.

With the top picks being used by the 2 new teams, we'll more than likely have to use our first round pick regardless of where we finish.

UglyDuckling
17th April 2010, 12:33 PM
exactly with GWS coming in that draft, if they have the same concessions as gold coast and if we finish in the top 8 our first round pick would be somewhere between 18 and 25. 30's was a slight exageration because i didnt look it up before i posted.

The point remains that we may get a bargain in one of the comprimised drafts. Even if we get a top 5 prospect with a pick in the 20's its a huge win for us at a time when the other clubs will be suffering because of the comprimised draft.

liz
23rd May 2010, 01:45 AM
Sounds like GWS are trying to pinch him from under our noses.

Battle for Barry Mitchell's boy | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/battle-for-barry-mitchells-boy/story-e6frf9jf-1225870007181)

Wouldn't have thought that offering Mitchell Snr a coaching role to persuade Jnr to sign with GWS is that smart a strategy. Would a young kid really want to join a club where his father was on the coaching staff?

Reggi
23rd May 2010, 09:48 AM

Battle for Barry Mitchell's boy | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/battle-for-barry-mitchells-boy/story-e6frf9jf-1225870007181)

Wouldn't have thought that offering Mitchell Snr a coaching role to persuade Jnr to sign with GWS is that smart a strategy. Would a young kid really want to join a club where his father was on the coaching staff?

I am trying to dislike them, but nah I don't really care. He'll come to Sydney for sure

cheersquadsteve
23rd May 2010, 05:11 PM
What about Kane Murphy, David's son, i heard he is tied to St.Kilda through the NSW scholarship thing, any word on him????

Primmy
23rd May 2010, 05:22 PM

Well I am not surprised. Kelly is at GWS, and who was Kelly's mentor and supplementary coach? Mitchell Snr. Lots of history there. He even spoke at Kell's Big Night Out....so not surprised he has been offered a position back east if Kell is around.

wearebloods
23rd May 2010, 06:41 PM
Look on the bright side, if Mitchell Snr is hired by GWS, they would be doing the Swans a favour....Mitchell Jnr is less likely to become homesick living & playing in Sydney :cool:

cruiser
23rd May 2010, 07:32 PM
Brisbane (Fitzroy) will obviously lay first claim to the next generation of Roos, but not all hope is lost. If Sydney thinks they have a case for it they can appeal for an exemption to the AFL on the grounds that a) Paul Roos played 98 games for us and b) has coached Sydney/South Melbourne in more games then anyone else (200 by season's end). But The Swans would have to fight for it, and there's no telling if it would be successful or not. And the AFL has a history of not being sympathetic to supposed special cases, hence the Corne brothers playing for Port rather than the Crows.

The Big Cat
23rd May 2010, 10:09 PM
I think the article went on to say that the Swans are red hot favourites to get him as Snr is a big fan and he's been up with Roos etc.

DST
23rd May 2010, 10:11 PM
There are really only two teams that he can end up at, us through F/S or GWS with one their early draft picks.

The club has done the right thing by letting him and Dad know they are watching him and getting the kid down to the club for some training.

It would be very unlikely that he ends anywhere but with us and boy do we need him. We are really struggling in the modfield at present and need a couple of high draft picks with pace and skill badly, as we are just hanging on at present.

DST

liz
24th May 2010, 02:46 AM
It would be very unlikely that he ends anywhere but with us and boy do we need him. We are really struggling in the modfield at present and need a couple of high draft picks with pace and skill badly, as we are just hanging on at present.

DST

Yes, we want any good player, especially one that falls into our lap (assuming he does). But I don't think all is doom and gloom for our future on-ball brigade if we manage to hold onto the young crop we currently have. Hanners looks like becoming a very good all around midfielder - ie one who can win the hard ball at stoppages plus use it well also. Bird, Kennedy and Jack are tough inside players, and young McNeill is showing promising signs. Smith is proving to be a very versatile player and hasn't had much time in the middle yet but can be a clearance machine too. If Meredith can get his body right, I have high hopes he can become a Nick Stevens / Heath Scotland type accumulator but at junior level he too showed he can win plenty of the hard ball.

Mitchell jnr sounds like he is another inside clearance player with good skills, rather than an outside jet.

Primmy
24th May 2010, 08:39 AM
What a laugh it would be to get Mitchell Snr to the club....I actually mean that....he is a jovial happy bloke who loves a laugh...we need a few characters about the place, hope he makes it here; son too.

wearebloods
12th July 2010, 01:37 PM
Two for one deal? -> Barry & Tom Mitchell *could* both be coming to the Swans http://bit.ly/cvyZf6

laughingnome
12th July 2010, 01:44 PM
Two for one deal? -> Barry & Tom Mitchell *could* both be coming to the Swans (http://bit.ly/cvyZf6)
There are worse things going around then Fremantle's Midfield. This could be a big win for us.

Lucky Knickers
12th July 2010, 02:52 PM
WOW! That would be a coup. How could Barry coach GWS if Tom is up the road?
Anyways, that foot injury doesn't sound great.

Bleed Red Blood
12th July 2010, 03:59 PM
Another Daniher is coming up as well, but I spose he'll go to the Don's like his brother :/

TheGong
12th July 2010, 04:52 PM
Two for one deal? -> Barry & Tom Mitchell *could* both be coming to the Swans http://bit.ly/cvyZf6

If Barry Mitchell joins next year does this mean that Tom would be moving over next year as well. It would be huge if he were able to spend next year playing as a top up for the Swans reserves - very similar to Craig Bird situation where he was ready to go in round one after being drafted.

Fingers crossed.

Primmy
12th July 2010, 05:08 PM
Oh I do like a good bit of positive gossip.

DeadlyAkkuret
12th July 2010, 07:24 PM
WOW! That would be a coup. How could Barry coach GWS if Tom is up the road?
Anyways, that foot injury doesn't sound great.

Dodgy shoulder and a dodgy foot. He'll fit right in with our recent draftees then :rolleyes:

DST
12th July 2010, 07:33 PM
Another Daniher is coming up as well, but I spose he'll go to the Don's like his brother :/

Thart is a real interesting one.

While the Don's would be favourite to sign him up, they have a very hard decision coming up as they are very adequately catered for young talls in Hurley, Pears, Gumbleton, Bellchambers and Hooker. Not to mention Darcey Daniher who can't get a look in at all.

The Don's may have to forgo the younger Daniher with a low pick just due to their current list in balance and the need for midfielders.

This deal may just get done to us.

DST

DeadlyAkkuret
12th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Will Daniher and Mitchell be in the same draft? If so, can we take two FS picks in the same draft?

hammo
12th July 2010, 08:04 PM
Will Daniher and Mitchell be in the same draft? If so, can we take two FS picks in the same draft?

I don't think Daniher is until 2012, Mitchell 2011. Both sounds like genuine top 10 picks, in Mitchell's case a top 3.

aardvark
9th June 2011, 03:09 PM
Son of a gun Mitchell a doubt for State 18s - The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/9602412/son-of-a-gun-mitchell-a-doubt-for-state-18s/)

Starting to sound a bit dodgy for a first round pick. I hope the recruiters think this through properly.

ugg
9th June 2011, 03:11 PM
I dunno about that aardvark, I remember a gun midfielder who had shoulder troubles during his junior career, he didn't turn out too badly.

Triple B
9th June 2011, 03:13 PM
3 votes - C. Judd

Big Al
9th June 2011, 03:46 PM
Another code I know but Benji Marshall had 3 shoulder reconstructions and turned out to be a handy player.

GongSwan
9th June 2011, 03:55 PM
Another code I know but Benji Marshall had 3 shoulder reconstructions and turned out to be a handy player.

Benji was voted the worlds best player last year after the 3 reconstructions. Judd hasn't fared too badly either after his problems. The youger ones tend to heal better, if u do it at 29 your probably finished

aardvark
9th June 2011, 05:31 PM
Hope you boys are right.....

Big Al
9th June 2011, 05:47 PM
Hope you boys are right.....

I haven't been wrong since the last time I made a mistake so it'll be all sweet.

nomae
9th June 2011, 05:48 PM
A top round midfielder playing for the Swans... I actually cannot wait.

liz
9th June 2011, 05:51 PM
A top round midfielder playing for the Swans... I actually cannot wait.

We already have B1, and Fossie and Crouch aren't long retired. Not sure if Rohan and Jetta quite count yet as midfielders.

nomae
9th June 2011, 05:54 PM
We already have B1, and Fossie and Crouch aren't long retired. Not sure if Rohan and Jetta quite count yet as midfielders.

I was thinking more along the lines of McVeigh, pick #5 in 2002 wasn't he? Except he's not a real game-breaker like a Judd or a Hodge, or hopefully Rohan will turn out to be.

stellation
9th June 2011, 05:57 PM
A strained AC joint is very different from Judd's junior footy shoulder problems, though. Being out for a month just seems like they're sensible.

liz
9th June 2011, 06:08 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of McVeigh, pick #5 in 2002 wasn't he? Except he's not a real game-breaker like a Judd or a Hodge, or hopefully Rohan will turn out to be.

Yeah, forgot about McVeigh. Ooops!

Sadly being a first round pick is not a guarantee of being a game breaker.

aardvark
9th June 2011, 06:11 PM
I haven't been wrong since the last time I made a mistake so it'll be all sweet.

Ahhh.... don't you love blind optimism.:)

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Is Tom that good he would be the no.1 pick for the next draft ?

Is he as good as Scully or better ?

Big Al
18th June 2011, 08:18 PM

From what I've heard he's every bit a top 10 draft pick. He was the no.1 ranked 16 year in the country I think.

Auntie.Gerald
18th June 2011, 08:24 PM
I heard he is min equal to Andrew Gaff who was no 4 pick last year................but Mitchell i believe is quite short ??

Andrew Gaff Player Profile bio - Official AFL Website of the West Coast Eagles Football Club (http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/players/playerprofile/andrewgaff/tabid/7302/playerid/22260/category/senior/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx)

BSA5
18th June 2011, 09:15 PM

That was the word, but his injury problems would have knocked him down. Our first rounder, assuming we don't drop drastically down the ladder, would still be a bargain though.

Triple B
18th June 2011, 09:26 PM
That was the word, but his injury problems would have knocked him down. Our first rounder, assuming we don't drop drastically down the ladder, would still be a bargain though.

That's where we have got a huge stroke of luck with Mitchell being a f/s this year, with all the draft concessions to GWS our first pick is way down the list. If this was all happening next year, we may have needed to use a much lower pick.

TheGong
18th June 2011, 09:54 PM
According to the U18 championship record, he is 181 cm and 79kg. Only 1 cm shorter than Gaff and an avearge size for a midfielder.

liz
18th June 2011, 11:27 PM
From what I've heard he's every bit a top 10 draft pick. He was the no.1 ranked 16 year in the country I think.

Yes, but so was Tom Swift, before spending most of the next two years injured.

Doctor
19th June 2011, 11:40 PM
Any chance he's available for next week? :D

kangle4
30th June 2011, 05:02 PM
Story going round on Fox Sports News about him at the moment.

Basically says he is over the injury and looking to play in WA's final games in the Championships.
Looking forward to getting to the Swans and people at the club played a big role in him choosing the Swans.

Lucky Knickers
30th June 2011, 09:27 PM
Was a nice little snippet for those that haven't seen him.
Here's the link
Mitchell keen for Swans move | AFL Live, AFL Scores, AFL Results | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/mitchell-keen-for-swans-move/video-e6frf33l-1226084969074?subcat=1225916318050)

giant
30th June 2011, 11:00 PM
Was a nice little snippet for those that haven't seen him.
Here's the link
Mitchell keen for Swans move | AFL Live, AFL Scores, AFL Results | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/mitchell-keen-for-swans-move/video-e6frf33l-1226084969074?subcat=1225916318050)

Thx LK, just caught the end of that story so this stops me having to wait thru another cycle of FSN! He has a funny kicking style doesn't he? looks like a right footer kicking left-footed. Anyone know what his foot skills are like?

Panttz
30th June 2011, 11:00 PM
What would a 17 year old do with a million...

Dosser
1st July 2011, 09:34 AM
What would a 17 year old do with a million...

11,200 PS3 games?

Auntie.Gerald
1st July 2011, 09:37 AM
he appears to be our Tom Scully or Murphy !

ill take that !

Triple B
1st July 2011, 09:59 AM
he appears to be our Tom Scully !

ill take that !

What, leave after 2 years ???

:p

ABloodsMan
1st July 2011, 10:06 AM
Good thing he is contracted for 5 already :D

nomae
1st July 2011, 10:31 AM
Good thing he is contracted for 5 already :D

Really? (Cos that would be awesome)

ABloodsMan
1st July 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty positive that's the case, we were involved in a bidding war with GWS for him and I'm pretty positive the result of that was the extension of his first contract from three years to five years.

wolftone57
1st July 2011, 04:25 PM
Great pedigree lets hope he lives up to it. As far as the junior footy is concerned he is more than living up to it so hope senior level is not a prob.

Melbourne_Blood
1st July 2011, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty positive that's the case, we were involved in a bidding war with GWS for him and I'm pretty positive the result of that was the extension of his first contract from three years to five years.

Not saying your wrong as i have absolutely no idea but it seems a strange decision to sign for that long, from both parties perspectives.

ABloodsMan
1st July 2011, 07:00 PM
Not really strange, GWS were reported to have offered him 1 mil over 5 years for him to decline the father/son offer and go to them as one of their first 3 picks. We had to fight for him.

Melbourne_Blood
1st July 2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah i certainly understand that, but the fact he is signed for 5 years to us and never played a game of AFL football. It's pretty risky in this day and age. Touch wood, it will be the greatest thing we've ever done, but you never know...

Also from his ( and his managements ) perspective, what if after two stunning years of footy, he feels he is being underpaid and has other clubs waving cheque books , but has 3 more years to run on his contract ?

Like i said, i realise why we wanted him and what we had to be to get him, (if he's as good as we think/ hope he will be ) , but a 5 year contract for a 17 year old still seems strange. Thats all.

ABloodsMan
1st July 2011, 08:01 PM
It is a massive risk, at the time though with him winning the WA player of the championships and some experts claiming he was the best 16 year old in the country it was well worth the risk, and it was why GWS were so interested in snagging him. Draftees at the moment are only allowed to be paid a maximum of $125,000 for their first two years in the AFL. Which leaves $750,000 over the next three years of his contract, which already would put him above the average wage for an AFL player, so it is hard to envisage him wanting more at the end of his first two years.

Again it is strange, but GWS had two goals when they were targetting him. Get a great young player, and hit a blow to the cross-town rivals, it is no surprise the contract ended up being so huge. Though this is all just supposition though, I have no clue what our contract with young Tom is, only that GWS were rum oured to have offered 5 years and a million dollars to him. Whether we paid under or over that to get him is beyond my knowledge.

jono2707
2nd July 2011, 08:57 AM
a) I'm glad we got him so I hope he lives up to expectations considering the money it looks like we have to spend on him
b) with all this money they're throwing around, if the AFL ever make any profit on GWS I'll be staggered.

Melbourne_Blood
2nd July 2011, 10:53 AM
Lets hope he becomes the player we all want him to be. It is very exciting knowing we've already got a kid set to be a star player, cant wait to see him in the red and white.

ABloodsMan
5th July 2011, 10:24 PM
I'll put up a Mitchell highlights video of his game tomorrow, it's not broadcast until 8:30 however so I probably won't be able to get it done until sometime Thursday. Was going add Lynch, Guthrie and Potter to it but it doesn't seem like they broadcast the final games for NSW and the rest of the Division 2 teams.

Big Al
5th July 2011, 10:28 PM
I'll put up a Mitchell highlights video of his game tomorrow, it's not broadcast until 8:30 however so I probably won't be able to get it done until sometime Thursday. Was going add Lynch, Guthrie and Potter to it but it doesn't seem like they broadcast the final games for NSW and the rest of the Division 2 teams.

That would be great ABM. Thank you for all the work you do on the videos.

troyjones2525
5th July 2011, 11:27 PM
Is it confirmed that Mitchell is playing for W.A. tomorrow? If so i can't wait to watch the telecast on fox sports 1 tomorrow night! Hopefully get a glimps of our future premiership captain!!! Not getting too carried away am i??? lol.

ABloodsMan
6th July 2011, 02:11 PM
Is it confirmed that Mitchell is playing for W.A. tomorrow? If so i can't wait to watch the telecast on fox sports 1 tomorrow night! Hopefully get a glimps of our future premiership captain!!! Not getting too carried away am i??? lol.

Emma Quayle mentioned that he was one to watch out for in tonight's match so I assume he is playing.

Video here from last weeks match for those who can't watch bigpond videos.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QSf9874Gwyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mcs
6th July 2011, 07:35 PM
Oh I like the look of what saw in that short package of highlights!

troyjones2525
6th July 2011, 08:33 PM
Can anyone confirm if they are at the ground if Mitchell is playing tonight?

ScottH
6th July 2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that abloodsman!!

troyjones2525
6th July 2011, 08:45 PM
Just checked the live stats on afl.com and it seems he's playing and had a handball in the first minute! Can't wait for the delayed telecast at 8:30 on fox sports 1HD!

Primmy
6th July 2011, 09:26 PM
Don;'t you just love living in the 21st century! Ta for that fellas/fellarettes.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 10:02 PM
7 disposals out of 40 in the 1st quarter. I like his work rate and his disposal looked spot on.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 10:30 PM
Leading possession getter with 12 at half time. Sets a lot of play up (would love to know his clearance numbers). Apart from one error when he went the check side instead of drop punt when going at goal he hasn't put a foot wrong. Looks like we have a good un.

ABloodsMan
6th July 2011, 10:35 PM
The advanced stats for the game will come tomorrow Al so we'll find out then, feels like him and coniglio have been involved in at least 10 of the 16 so far for WA :).

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 10:46 PM
Mitchell best for WA with 28 posessions. by the way Brodie Grundy rucked for SA & got 28 h/o

Big Al
6th July 2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks ABM... Tell you what he has a heck of an engine. He seems to be at every stoppage around the ground.

The first goal of the 3rd term was set up by Tom with terrific body on the line stuff to win the ball. Impressive stuff.

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 10:53 PM
I have been trying to get some footage where should I go Al

Big Al
6th July 2011, 10:54 PM
Commentators were just talking about his endurance being at the elite level. From what I've seen tonight he seems like he can run all day.

Lucky Knickers
6th July 2011, 10:55 PM
Mitchell best for WA with 28 posessions. by the way Brodie Grundy rucked for SA & got 28 h/o
Just watching now on Fox. He is impressive, Grundy that is, he is totally dominating.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 10:56 PM
I have been trying to get some footage where should I go Al

It's on fox at the moment. Our good friend ABM will be getting a highlights package together of Tom on You Tube.

wolftone57
6th July 2011, 11:02 PM
Ta Al I'll watch on UTube

Lucky Knickers
6th July 2011, 11:10 PM
Mitchell just played on advantage and kicked huge goal from outside 50! Nice.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 11:10 PM
55 metre goal to Tom on the run so he hasn't got a bad boot on him either.

Dan
6th July 2011, 11:14 PM
Sounds like a gun of a player, how quick is he?

giant
6th July 2011, 11:14 PM
Bugger, missed it, too much bloody sport on. Will it be replayed?
EDIT: So funny, caught the last 10 mins, saw 7 goals kicked, not a single one that didn't look like it was going straight thru the middle the moment the player kicked it! No mental issues with goal kicking when you're 17!!

ANd oh yeah, Mitch looked pretty damn nice.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 11:16 PM
A hard ball get and handball to set up a goal.

It's only one game but I like what I see.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 11:18 PM
Bugger, missed it, too much bloody sport on. Will it be replayed?

9:30 tomorrow morning Giant.

Big Al
6th July 2011, 11:26 PM
Ta Al I'll watch on UTube

Will be replayed on fox 501 & 203 tomorrow at 9:30am.

Matt79
6th July 2011, 11:38 PM
28 disposals with 1 goal for Tom. He will be a gun!! 9 kicks, 19 handpasses. Will be the in and under player we need with Jude near the end.

giant
6th July 2011, 11:38 PM
9:30 tomorrow morning Giant.

Cheers!

liz
7th July 2011, 12:02 AM
That was a really entertaining game to watch. I've barely watched any underage footy and always thought games would be quite scrappy. But there was a lot of AFL-style pressure, tackling, running to receive and an impressive level of skill.

Mitchell certainly knows where to go to get the ball, and he knows how to use his body in contests to advantage. He is not going to make us a quicker side, but he clearly has great hands and good smarts. It was very encouraging to see him kick that goal too, as it shows he can hoof it when he wants to. He clearly has a lot of physical development needed, so he's not dominating due to a mature body.

There were a few others on show who I wouldn't mind seeing run around in the red and white. The young Simpson kid from South Australia showed a few tricks and good pace, and the SA's Mitchell (first name, not surname) showed excellent foot skills in the first and final quarters.

BSA5
7th July 2011, 12:13 AM
That was a really entertaining game to watch. I've barely watched any underage footy and always thought games would be quite scrappy. But there was a lot of AFL-style pressure, tackling, running to receive and an impressive level of skill.

Mitchell certainly knows where to go to get the ball, and he knows how to use his body in contests to advantage. He is not going to make us a quicker side, but he clearly has great hands and good smarts. It was very encouraging to see him kick that goal too, as it shows he can hoof it when he wants to. He clearly has a lot of physical development needed, so he's not dominating due to a mature body.

There were a few others on show who I wouldn't mind seeing run around in the red and white. The young Simpson kid from South Australia showed a few tricks and good pace, and the SA's Mitchell (first name, not surname) showed excellent foot skills in the first and final quarters.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Liz, right down to rating Simpson and Grigg (the Mitchell you speak of). Would love us a little Simpson.

I wouldn't read too much into him being a totally inside player though. He's just come back from injury, and while his base stamina might be elite, it wouldn't be near what he could produce with some proper match fitness. I would say after he's worked the rust out properly, he'd be able to get into space a bit more, get a few more handball receives and kicks. After all, at u16s level he was described as a genuine inside/outside player.

ernie koala
7th July 2011, 12:30 AM
Swans are looking good for inside mids for the foreseeable future....Jack, Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell.
Now we just need some quick, skilful, outside mids and a dominant KP forward or 2.

ScottH
7th July 2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafxbKr63n

Nich
7th July 2011, 10:32 AM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac3/NichBaker/bigkev.jpg

Cpt. Kirk
7th July 2011, 01:14 PM
Who do you think the top 10 of division 1 are?

Do you think a white/grundy trade for 1st 17 yo pick would be worth it for o'meara.

my top 10.

1. Patten
2. Coniglio
3. Grundy
4. Mitchell
5. Whitfield
6. Crozier
7. Greene
8. Kennedy
9. Buntine
10. O'meara

Mitchell looks to be a skillful player and a great inside mid, look forward to seeing him in years to come, always on the bottom of the packs feeding the ball out, and there was a passage in the last quarter in SA's forward line where you can see his talents with space aswell.

ABloodsMan
7th July 2011, 01:40 PM
Of those Grundy, Whitfield, O'meara and Kennedy I believe aren't available until next year. I think making a play for one of those in the mini draft is a good idea, however I can't see GWS doing us any favours with regards to deciding the value of our offers.

liz
7th July 2011, 01:57 PM
Who do you think the top 10 of division 1 are?

Do you think a white/grundy trade for 1st 17 yo pick would be worth it for o'meara.

my top 10.

1. Patten
2. Coniglio
3. Grundy
4. Mitchell
5. Whitfield
6. Crozier
7. Greene
8. Kennedy
9. Buntine
10. O'meara

Mitchell looks to be a skillful player and a great inside mid, look forward to seeing him in years to come, always on the bottom of the packs feeding the ball out, and there was a passage in the last quarter in SA's forward line where you can see his talents with space aswell.

Those who seem to know about these kind of things seem to rate SA's Chad Wingard as a probable top 3. He didn't play in yesterday's game because he was injured.

I realise that one can't make judgements based on one game, but I confess I didn't see much in O'Meara's game yesterday to justify the hype over him. I was also moderately underwhelmed by Yarran, another talked of as a potential 17 year old target. He clearly has some skill but his intensity was very hit and miss. By no means am I trying to say that these players aren't going to become very good AFL players - just that they are certainly far from ready made in a Scully / Martin / Rich kind of way.

ABloodsMan
7th July 2011, 04:30 PM
So here are his advanced stats for yesterdays game. 28 disposals with no clangers is quite impressive.

Player Name No. K H D CP UP DE% Clg M CM M50 HO CL I50 R50 FF FA T 1% BO G B G% GA DT
Tom Mitchell 5 9 19 28 12 14 64 0 1 0 0 0 4 3 2 0 0 3 1 1 1 1 100 0 87

Still waiting for the game to be uploaded to the torrent site I use, hopefully they will get it up soon.

Edit: The table function is pretty damn awesome :)

giant
7th July 2011, 09:48 PM
Of those Grundy, Whitfield, O'meara and Kennedy I believe aren't available until next year. I think making a play for one of those in the mini draft is a good idea, however I can't see GWS doing us any favours with regards to deciding the value of our offers.

Read a blog by Emma Quayle today who suggested the only deal likely to get done is GC's pick #4 for O'Meara - no one else likely to top that!

ABloodsMan
7th July 2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah I doubt anything we could do would top that without crippling us. Still be interesting to see what sort of offer would get us a pick in that mini draft, would love to see Ben Kennedy head to the swans if he was eligible.

Still waiting on the game being uploaded, hopefully it will be up tomorrow and I can put Tom's highlights up.

Edit: Just went up and downloading now, should be done tonight.

ABloodsMan
8th July 2011, 02:32 AM
Finally uploaded :) For those with sharp eyes at 2:26 Mitchell gets a quick kick forward towards goal, hidden nicely behind a massive disposal graphic. So I didn't just include it because he was leading it at the time :D

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kZl9tElTKOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Auntie.Gerald
8th July 2011, 07:51 AM
He has some serious lateral vision !!

Greg Willams here we come diesel !

ScottH
8th July 2011, 09:03 AM
Missed a lot of targets. He'll fit in well.
Big Goal from outside 50.

magic.merkin
8th July 2011, 01:37 PM
Missed a lot of targets. He'll fit in well.
Big Goal from outside 50.

Yeah some poor foot disposal in there mixed with some tough effective disposal, but if he hasn't played much that would explain some rust. No doubt he hunts the footy, racks up the possies at that level,gets to the right drop zone and is tough at it.
Great signs

Nich
8th July 2011, 02:04 PM
Decision making by hand is great. By foot not so, but he is 16! When he gets more composure into his game he is going to be a beauty. Some fantastic signs of a player with great potential. Hard at the ball, pretty damn clean with it too. 2nd efforts after disposal are excellent as well. Looks like he has V8 under the hood. Love it. It's hard to be patient when your team is not currently producing the goods and i really can't wait to see Tom, Joey, Birdy, Parker, Rohan, Hanners, Jack, McGlynn running it out of the middle one day. Gee I hope that happens!!!!!

Nice work ABM - thanks.

jono2707
8th July 2011, 02:12 PM
Watching the match on Foxtel, I couldn't help being reminded of a younger version of Dane Swan in the way Mitchell moves around and gets his own ball. I'm not saying that I necessarily think he'll turn out like Swan, but he did seem an industrious and energetic player with plenty of quality touches (and a few rusty looking ones). Overall looks classy.

Looks like the sort of guy who will smash it in Dream Team over the next few years too...

Nich
8th July 2011, 02:14 PM
Watching the match on Foxtel, I couldn't help being reminded of a younger Dane Swan in the way Mitchell moves around and gets his own ball.

Thought the exact same thing but was too afraid to mention the two names together on here. I agree though.

ScottH
9th July 2011, 12:47 PM
He didn't make the 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian team:

Defenders: Jed Anderson (NT), Michael Talia (Vic Metro), Brandon Ellis (Vic Metro), Brad Crouch (Vic Metro), Brody Mihocek (Tas), Alex Forster (SA)

Midfield: Billy Longer (Vic Metro), Dom Tyson (Vic Metro), Stephen Coniglio (WA), Jaeger O?Meara (WA), Toby Greene (Vic Metro), Will Hoskin-Elliott (Vic Metro)

Forwards: Chad Wingard (SA), Sam Mayes (SA), Lachie Whitfield (Vic Country), Ben Kennedy (SA), Jonathon Patton (Vic Metro), John McKenzie (Tas)

Interchange: Mitchell Grigg (SA), Brodie Grundy (SA), Taylor Adams (Vic Country), Clay Smith (Vic Country)

Coach: Rohan Welsh (Vic Metro)

Assistant Coach: Matt Armstrong (TAS)

kangle4
9th July 2011, 03:26 PM
He only played 2 games didn't he?

Auntie.Gerald
9th July 2011, 05:48 PM
He didn't make the 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 All Australian team:

Defenders: Jed Anderson (NT), Michael Talia (Vic Metro), Brandon Ellis (Vic Metro), Brad Crouch (Vic Metro), Brody Mihocek (Tas), Alex Forster (SA)

Midfield: Billy Longer (Vic Metro), Dom Tyson (Vic Metro), Stephen Coniglio (WA), Jaeger O?Meara (WA), Toby Greene (Vic Metro), Will Hoskin-Elliott (Vic Metro)

Forwards: Chad Wingard (SA), Sam Mayes (SA), Lachie Whitfield (Vic Country), Ben Kennedy (SA), Jonathon Patton (Vic Metro), John McKenzie (Tas)

Interchange: Mitchell Grigg (SA), Brodie Grundy (SA), Taylor Adams (Vic Country), Clay Smith (Vic Country)

Coach: Rohan Welsh (Vic Metro)

Assistant Coach: Matt Armstrong (TAS)

it would be interesting to compare the top 30 picks last year vs the under18 Aust team etc ie how many ended up in the top 30 etc

satchmopugdog
9th July 2011, 06:18 PM
Not just good vision but creates space in close with lightening quick brain...........gimme

ScottH
9th July 2011, 06:21 PM
Defenders: Ben Jacobs (VM), Matt Watson(VM), Dyson Heppell (VC), Shaun Atley (VC), Patrick McCarthy -34 (SA), Brodie Smith (SA)
Midfield: Jared Polec (SA), Daniel Gorringe (SA), Andrew Gaff (VM), Mitch Hallahan (VC), Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT), Tom Liberatore (VM)
Forwards: Harley Bennell (WA), Lucas Cook (VC), Adam Treloar (VC), Jayden Pitt (VC), Steven May (NT), Josh Caddy (VM)
Interchange: Sam Day (SA), Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT), Josh Green (Tas), Sam Darley (TAS)

Bold = Top 30
Italics = F/S
1 is outside top 30,

Not sure if this is all.

http://drafttracker.afl.com.au/

Nico
10th July 2011, 01:47 PM
Big Footy has a forum dedicated to "The Draft" if you has some spare time to update your knowledge in this area. Many people on there seem to be well up on it all, even to the point of hobby or obsession.

ABloodsMan
11th July 2011, 04:25 PM
Will be Tom be playing for Claremont this week?

I heard the WAFL have a rule where under 18's can't play senior football until after the U18 championships are finished. So maybe we will see him in the firsts this week.

wearebloods
17th August 2011, 02:12 PM
Will be Tom be playing for Claremont this week?

I heard the WAFL have a rule where under 18's can't play senior football until after the U18 championships are finished. So maybe we will see him in the firsts this week.

According to the WAFL (http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/3775) site, he has only played the one (http://claremontfc.com.au/latest-news/seven-goals-to-o-hara/) game this year.

In other news, he has been invited to the AFL national draft combine (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/9956370/another-hill-in-the-sights-of-recruiters/) (Etihad Stadium, October 4-7, 2011)

aardvark
5th September 2011, 06:56 PM
Barry Mitchell has resigned from Fremantle and will return to Melbourne to live. Would he be interested in a job perhaps ??

Rob-bloods
5th September 2011, 09:01 PM
He lived in my street prior to Perth move I'll keep a look out. Last year I met him at the Freo season launch and asked if we had any chance of snagging Tom he gave a wry smile at the time and said 'you never know'...

BSA5
5th September 2011, 11:25 PM
Mitchell's last two games for Claremont Colts have been BOG performances with 45 and 35 disposals respectively.

ScottH
6th September 2011, 08:31 AM
Barry moves back to Melbourne.
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/05/mitchell-out-as-dockers-revamp-begins/

DeadlyAkkuret
9th September 2011, 03:25 PM
Tom banned from playing for Claremont seniors (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/10222921/sydney-finals-ban-on-mitchell/)

Edit: Posted by grimlock on that other site.

Primmy
9th September 2011, 05:35 PM
Well picked Deads. Well you can't blame the Swans for that. You still have a developing body that the Swans are paying squillions for, and they want it in tact before handing the poor kid over to the Commander.

jono2707
9th September 2011, 05:54 PM
Tom banned from playing for Claremont seniors (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/10222921/sydney-finals-ban-on-mitchell/)

Edit: Posted by grimlock on that other site.

I didn't know we could have that sort of say - have we actually officially signed him? I didn't think we actually had him officially until draft day???

liz
9th September 2011, 06:04 PM
I had been wondering why he wasn't playing senior footy with Claremont. Most of the top ranked WA juniors graduate to the senior team in their final underage year. Some play close to two seasons at senior level.

On one level it is a shame because the experience might hold him in good stead. That said, he probably won't gain much by graduating to the senior level so late in the season.

aardvark
9th September 2011, 06:09 PM
I didn't know we could have that sort of say - have we actually officially signed him? I didn't think we actually had him officially until draft day???

Sydney have banned rising teenage star Tom Mitchell from taking part in Claremont's league finals campaign.

The 18-year-old has signed a million-dollar deal to join the Swans next year under the father-son rule and is bound to follow Sydney's instructions.

Damien
9th September 2011, 06:12 PM

I imagine it's the Swans telling Tom and Tom telling Claremont. I doubt they can ban a WAFL club from playing a player they intend on drafting under F&S rule.

AnnieH
9th September 2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry kids. Just joined the conversation.
How exciting.
Pity we can't find a job for Barry as well!!!

17th September 2011, 10:48 PM
Working in WA at present and had the ABC footy programme on the radio. Just caught the tail end of a score update for a Colts Preliminary Final involving Claremont. Claremont won and Tom Mitchell starred, 22 possesions, 10 tackles (I like it) and 3 goals.

Made the pain of last night ease a little.

giant
18th September 2011, 11:03 AM
I imagine it's the Swans telling Tom and Tom telling Claremont. I doubt they can ban a WAFL club from playing a player they intend on drafting under F&S rule.

Apparently Barry played part in this decision too. Bit surprised I have to say.

With the Colts winning yesterday, the mighty Tigers are in the GF for seniors, ressies and colts - so Tom should be able to find himself a premiership medallion somewhere there.

ABloodsMan
18th September 2011, 04:31 PM
WAFL - West Australian Football League (http://www.wafl.com.au/games/view/9103)

DrDunk
18th September 2011, 09:34 PM
Im slightly confused, Is tom's contract over 3 years or 5?

On-Baller
22nd September 2011, 12:15 AM
Sydney Swans fly on Mitch II

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-fly-on-mitch-ii/story-e6frf9jf-1226143049390

Go the Torp
22nd September 2011, 02:46 PM
The AFL should bring it down to 80 for NSW & QLD in recognition of the hard road these teams have. 100,000 Vics will turn up for pretty much anything, well it feels like that on Reg Hunt's Golden Mile of Used Cars of a Saturday morning. The NSW audience is fickle at best, rugby league attendances are generally pathetic for home & away matches.

Bas
22nd September 2011, 03:32 PM
The AFL should bring it down to 80 for NSW & QLD in recognition of the hard road these teams have. 100,000 Vics will turn up for pretty much anything, well it feels like that on Reg Hunt's Golden Mile of Used Cars of a Saturday morning. The NSW audience is fickle at best, rugby league attendances are generally pathetic for home & away matches.

I'd bring it down to a couple of dates and a few drinks.

AnnieH
22nd September 2011, 05:27 PM
Is he here yet?

Dosser
22nd September 2011, 06:14 PM
Is he here yet?

He will be here soon enough - just sit tight and play it cool and wait until he rings the doorbell.

ScottH
22nd September 2011, 06:34 PM
He will be here soon enough - just sit tight and play it cool and wait until he rings the doorbell.
Yeh, it's a long drive from the west.

aardvark
22nd September 2011, 06:36 PM
Is he here yet?

Probably has to finish school first..............

wolftone57
23rd September 2011, 11:23 AM

The NRL doesn't think low crowds are a problem. In the '70's & '80's this was the case as the pokies took the slack on lack of games revenue. Since the introduction of pokies into the pubs this has changed and a lot of people go to the local pub to play the pokies instead of the club. The pubs even have meat raffles and the profits go straight to the owners (not legal but they are getting away with it). The nRL clubs blamed the NSW Government Pokie Tax for sending them into financial troublebut the tax was rescinded and they were still whinging about it. The truth is that pokie revenue is not enough to run the football departments anymore and bums on seats at games have become important. The clubs that get the crouds, Melbourne, Brisbane, St George etc are doing very well but the rest struggle. The coaches have told David Gallop, CEO NRL, that there needs to be a return to grass roots RL but he doesn't believe that the crowds make much difference. The new commission disagrees with him evidently as they have instituted a study into crowd trends and way of getting people back to the game. TV deals seem to be a big thing for them and without them the NRL would die.

andy0414
23rd September 2011, 05:12 PM
Tom is playing in the colts grand final for Claremont on Saturday morning. I'll go along and have a look.

ABloodsMan
23rd September 2011, 05:14 PM
Would be much appreciated Andy.

They are top of the ladder team, however have played their opponents three times now including a final and lost them all. Hopefully they can turn that around tomorrow. :)

andy0414
23rd September 2011, 07:56 PM
South Freo have a couple of good key position players too. I'll post a report later tomorrow.

wolftone57
24th September 2011, 10:38 AM
Tom is playing in the colts grand final for Claremont on Saturday morning. I'll go along and have a look.

Fantastic it will be good to see if he is a big game player, I have a feeling he is after seeing the WA footage but GF's are different.

satchmopugdog
24th September 2011, 11:09 AM
South Freo have a couple of good key position players too. I'll post a report later tomorrow.

Good on you Andy..Swans recruiting officer coming up

Lucky Knickers
24th September 2011, 12:37 PM
The pressure on this kid to perform is going to be enormous given the attention and wraps on him.

DLBIA14
24th September 2011, 12:52 PM
Games on and Tom is leading the disposal count. WAFL - West Australian Football League (http://www.wafl.com.au/games/view/9107)

longmile
24th September 2011, 01:43 PM
GO SON!

ABloodsMan
24th September 2011, 02:07 PM
South freo kicking away in the third :( Doesn't look likely claremont can make a comeback.

longmile
24th September 2011, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately the Colts lost, but good to see he was easily the leading possession getter with 30 disposals and 7 tackles.
Looking forward to what people at the game had to say.

andy0414
24th September 2011, 07:27 PM
Yes, Claremont lost but the good news is that Tom Mitchell looks like he will fit in very well at the Swans. His play around the stoppage was very good. Runs through the packs and quite often to where the ball was hit. He doesn't look fast, but looks strong. The area that I was most impressed with him, was his ability to get the ball on the ground and get a handball out under pressure. His handball skills were very good and his awareness of his team mates around him was exceptional. Nearly all of his handballs out were to team mates even while he was being tackled. The coaching staff kept taking him off the ground quite often. I would think he only played about 2/3rds of the first half but was on a bit longer in the second half. Didn't look injured but maybe his fitness is a bit down.
For South Freo their two big forwards Mason Shaw and Shane Kersten stood out. Good size and both can take a contested mark and good long kickers on the ball. I would be happy to see the Swans get either of them.
Anyway it was a nice morning at the footy. Pity Claremont didn't win but the day was made by the draft cheating wet toast going down.
Andy

aardvark
3rd October 2011, 11:48 AM
Tom will be testing at the Draft Combine. Here is a list of players attending...

http://www.afl.com.au/development/nabaflrisingstarsprogram/nabafldraftcombine/meettheplayers/tabid/16667/default.aspx

No one from NSW unfortunately....

Damien
3rd October 2011, 12:08 PM
Why does Tom have to test? Is it because of the bidding system now for F&S?

I'd love no one to bid for him and us to get him for our Round 2 or 3 pick haha (I can dream!)

Damien
3rd October 2011, 12:09 PM
My old man coached Jimmy Webster at Glenorchy this year. I'd love to get him at the Swans, hope he tests well.

Trusty
3rd October 2011, 07:55 PM
Good summary of Tom Mitchell's performance in the GF Andy. I agree he is well balanced and strong, with his mind about 3 seconds ahead of his teammates. His voice was important in a growing environement where no one seems to want to talk anymore (random thought, maybe the social networking age is impacting on the ability to communicate...).

I also like Brendan Ah Chee from South Freo- very mobile tall midfielder. Will be watching to see where he ends up.

aardvark
7th October 2011, 10:00 PM
Welcome aboard Tom.....Its official.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124798/default.aspx

DLBIA14
8th October 2011, 11:25 PM
Son dawns on new era for Sydney Swans

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/son-dawns-on-new-era-for-sydney-swans/story-e6frexwr-1226161925191

He didn't test at the combine because of injuries? Hope he can get his body together!

DLBIA14
8th October 2011, 11:26 PM
double post again *sigh*

aardvark
10th October 2011, 10:25 AM
Just heard Tom speak on Trade radio. He speaks very well and is looking forward to getting to the club. Oh and pick 21.

goswannie14
10th October 2011, 10:54 AM
Good news with him coming to the Swans under the F/S rules. I hope there is not too much pressure put on him due to Dad having played here.

The Big Cat
10th October 2011, 11:09 AM
pick 21.

Freo forced us to use our first pick! Amazing how when these gun kids come up only one club seems to force the use of the lowest pick. (Orchestrated??)

ernie koala
10th October 2011, 11:15 AM
Freo forced us to use our first pick! Amazing how when these gun kids come up only one club seems to force the use of the lowest pick. (Orchestrated??)

Ross Lyon has a short memory.

Triple B
10th October 2011, 11:21 AM

There is a bidding process involved. Freo at 16 was obviously the lowest of those bids. Considering the Swans had already signed and committed, it was all irrelevent anyway and the other clubs knew it.

robamiee
10th October 2011, 12:04 PM
Ross Lyons respect continues to decline in my mind...Low blow from them...

Triple B
10th October 2011, 12:19 PM
Ross Lyons respect continues to decline in my mind...Low blow from them...

Ridiculous statement. StKilda may well have offered Pick 20, Essendon trumped with Pick 19, Norf with Pick 18 etc. etc. Any club would be derelict in there duty if they didn't make a bid and force Sydney to use their first pick. He's a Top 10 pick and we have got a steal as it is.

Bottom line...

Was it a low blow last year when we offered Pick 39 for Tom Liberatore, forcing the Bulldogs to use their second round pick ???????

I didn't think so...

Plugger46
10th October 2011, 12:19 PM
Low blow? Some of you lot need to harden up. Ross Lyon owes the Swans nothing.

Damien
10th October 2011, 01:09 PM
Not surprised in the slightest (albeit I was hoping no one would!!), but Freo have had access to him for the past few years through his Dad and are well aware of how good he was. I can't be angry at them for trying to get a Top 10 pick for pick 16.

We got one hell of a deal today.

jono2707
10th October 2011, 01:34 PM
Ok so how good is this kid? He sounds like he could be a pretty special sort of player - well the sort of special you'd hope any top 10 draft pick would be. Where is he up to development wise, and realistically how many matches could we see him in in 2012? He has had so much hype about him, especially on here - I hope we give him some time to develop and don't expect miracles straight away.

Can anyone compare him to, say, Wallis or Liberatore for the Bulldogs? Both were much-hyped father-son selections who looked pretty good this year, but from memory neither played full seasons and still have a bit of a way to go. Can we compare Tom to either of these two, or any other rookies of 2011?

Matty10
10th October 2011, 01:59 PM
I love the father-son rule in the AFL.

The reports on Tom have been good, but as with all trade / draft selections there are no guarantees. Good luck to him though - Go Swans!

Rod_
10th October 2011, 02:25 PM
If he is as good as reported - good deal! Most of the tops picks would be gone before we get a go anyway..

Rod_

andy0414
10th October 2011, 03:26 PM
It?s hard to compare him to anyone else as I have not seen them play but he is a very good in and under and clearing the ball out from packs type of player. He was the central player for Claremont in the colts grand finale with the number of times he won contested possession of the ball.
I could easily see him playing in the centre for us next year, however he has missed a fair few games this year with injuries and the type of game he plays is hard on the body.
With this type of player you are not waiting for them to develop like with ruckmen or key forwards so it?s no surprise he is considered a top ten pick but I guess it comes down to how much a club wants this type of player.

alison.z
10th October 2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone know if there's a way to find a replay of Tom on Trade Week radio?

DLBIA14
10th October 2011, 04:28 PM
Anyone know if there's a way to find a replay of Tom on Trade Week radio?

I know that trade week radio plays in a loop so if you can find out from someone what time Tom was on in the morning you should be able to figure out what time you can hear him tonight considering the live program ends at 6. That's probably the only way you would be able to hear him again.

Melbourne_Blood
10th October 2011, 05:19 PM
I havent seen a great deal, and nothing live, but from little snippets he does kind of resemble A Sam Mitchell type player. Great hands, good extractor of the ball from packs, accumulates posession, delivers it well. Not flashy, not much in terms if pace, and probably the exact opposite of the type of player we are screaming out for ( lets face it, winning inside ball is not our problem, its what happens after...) , but if he can deliver the ball as well as they say he can, his lack of pace shouldn't be a problem. Looking forward to seeing him run around next year.

BSA5
10th October 2011, 09:16 PM
Wow, some people really don't have their head around the bidding process. All the clubs would have known that the Swans would give up a first round pick. Ross Lyon and Horse probably discussed it over a beer at some point. If Freo hadn't bid, somebody else would have. There was no way the Swans weren't going to have to use their first rounder.

R-1
11th October 2011, 12:27 AM
Plus it's pick 21 anyway. It's not like we had much to work with in the draft this year anyway... I'd just as soon have us trade the picks away and see what we get for them this year.

aardvark
11th October 2011, 07:15 AM
Plus it's pick 21 anyway. It's not like we had much to work with in the draft this year anyway... I'd just as soon have us trade the picks away and see what we get for them this year.

Exactly. Mitchell for pick 21 = Huge winners during Trade week already IMO.

Peace
11th October 2011, 08:44 AM
DT strikes again with a sensationalist article title...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-big-gamble-at-draft/story-e6frexwr-1226163354370

Yeah, Mitchell was a HUGE gamble at pick 21.... Do the writers talk like this in real life? "I took a MASSIVE risk today and ordered a DOUBLE shot espresso tthis morning!"

Sorry, had to vent.

Go Swannies
11th October 2011, 09:41 AM
Have I got it right that the Swans' good mate Lyons forced us to use our first round pick for him and near-neighbour Mad Sheads ensured we paid full price for his contract? Nice to have friends.

Rod_
11th October 2011, 10:42 AM
Have I got it right that the Swans' good mate Lyons forced us to use our first round pick for him and near-neighbour Mad Sheads ensured we paid full price for his contract? Nice to have friends.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments. My half full moment is, that Ross has protected our investment. By using forcing us to use our first draft selection we cannot be gazumped by any other club. GWS and / or any other clubs cannot get their grubby hands on him!

Tom is safely a Swan now.

I feel this is great news!

And I would have been very upset to loose him to another club because we wanted to use a third round selection...

So thanks Ross.

Rod_

ABloodsMan
11th October 2011, 10:55 AM
He was safely a swan since last year, no other club was ever going to get him.

Triple B
11th October 2011, 10:59 AM
We could not get 'gazumped' by anyone.

Once Sydney nominated him, it was just a matter of Sydney agreeing to select him at their next pick, otherwise he goes to the club which bid for him...

Auntie.Gerald
11th October 2011, 12:22 PM
didnt Libra etc go in the 20's so did the Bulldogs have an earlier pick that they used for another non father son player ??

Triple B
11th October 2011, 12:24 PM
Libba went at 40 (2nd pick) because Wallis went with their 1st pick (22?), also under father/son.

liz
11th October 2011, 11:39 PM
For those who have no idea what to expect from Tom, there are some highlights of his final U18 champs game up on the Swans website. I watched that game live (it was on Fox) and he racked up possessions at will. The highlights package by no means focuses on his entire contribution in that game, but it certainly gives you a good sense of the kind of player he appears to be.

From these highlights, and what I have read from WAFL colt watchers, there look to be some similarities with Hanners - ie only moderately paced but with an instinct and thirst to go where the ball is, and the basis of the super-endurance that allows a player to do that all afternoon long. He seems willing to go in and hunt the ball with little regard for personal safety and his handballing skills look excellent. His kicking, at least at this stage, looks like it leaves a bit to be desired - too many up and under kicks with little direction.

BSA5
11th October 2011, 11:42 PM
DT strikes again with a sensationalist article title...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-big-gamble-at-draft/story-e6frexwr-1226163354370

Yeah, Mitchell was a HUGE gamble at pick 21.... Do the writers talk like this in real life? "I took a MASSIVE risk today and ordered a DOUBLE shot espresso tthis morning!"

Sorry, had to vent.

Urgh. Feel sorry for the reporter. He spends the entire article talking about how the Swans are "sure" that Mitchell will be a player, and that essentially they're rapt to have a certainty. The editor then goes and completely contradicts the point of the article in the headline by saying the Swans are taking a "gamble". :hmmm

DeadlyAkkuret
11th October 2011, 11:56 PM
Dylan Buckley at pick umpteen is a "Blue chip" kid?

Reggi
12th October 2011, 07:29 AM
Horse on SEN

Mitchell may not play seniors next year, injuries a concern, need to get body right
Excited about midfield
Trade period not much happening - excited about the draft and backing kinnear beatson
Thought incredible to get Parker and Johnson later in the draft

liz
21st November 2011, 08:02 AM
An article from Emma Quayle about four team mates and the upcoming draft. Mitchell is one of the four discussed.

AFL Draft | Emma Quayle (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ash-thursday-20111120-1npfc.html)

Chilcott
21st November 2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks Liz for uploading the article. Some very positive comments made about Tom. I remember reading similar articles about Dan Hannebery just after he was drafted, so hopefully Tom is just as good.

Nico
21st November 2011, 07:59 PM
One of the people on Big Footy who does phantom drafts every year says if Mitchell wasn't a father/son selection he would have had him at no.1.

Another has him at 6 in an uncompromised draft.

liz
21st November 2011, 09:55 PM
One of the people on Big Footy who does phantom drafts every year says if Mitchell wasn't a father/son selection he would have had him at no.1.

Another has him at 6 in an uncompromised draft.

Emma Quayle, on the other hand, has him ranked at 15. So she is clearly not as much of a fan as others.

For someone as obviously knowledgable about all things draft-related, she has referred in a few articles of hers that I have read (including the one linked a couple of posts earlier) that Mitchell turned down an offer to join GWS as a 17 yo concession pick. He was actually not eligible to be taken under that rule because it only offered access to players born in a 1 January to 30 April window, and Mitchell's birthday is in mid-May. For GWS to have secured him (and it was widely reported that they chased him hard), they would have had to guarantee that they were going to pick him with one of their first 3 picks in the ND in much the same way as GC did with David Swallow (and then moved him across the country a year early so he could play with their VFL side in 2010). Obviously GWS' draft rankings may have changed in the past year, but this indicates that a year ago they rated him clearly as one of the top 3 players in the draft.

kangle4
22nd November 2011, 04:05 PM
I remember him being a top 3 prospect this time last year but the injuries and limited playing time could explain the slide.

jono2707
22nd November 2011, 04:14 PM
Is it true he's only somewhere in the vicinity of 73kgs? I would assume he'll need to bulk up a bit over the next couple of years if that is the case. Could this limit his game time in 2012? Whilst we should be getting time into him next year, if he doesn't have the ready-made body a la Luke Parker, will he be brought on more slowly than we perhaps think at this stage?

Auntie.Gerald
16th April 2012, 12:05 AM
and young Mitchell isnt probably far away from mounting a challenge for a spot in the 22 ?

Jewels
16th April 2012, 11:06 AM
and young Mitchell isnt probably far away from mounting a challenge for a spot in the 22 ?

As far as I know he's injured/has a problem with his knee again.

Primmy
16th April 2012, 11:25 AM
He has had knee issues preseason, and they will not be bringing him in to the side until he has had a lot more match fitness via ressies. I don't think he has even had a ressie game yet. So, think we have to hold fire, cannot see him around for this year.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th April 2012, 12:26 PM
Of course we all hope that Tom comes good, but if he doesn't she his drafting be classified as:

Another case of the curse of the Swans Father Son pick (John, Doyle, James)
or
Another case of the curse of the Swans First Round Pick?

Cpt. Kirk
16th April 2012, 12:38 PM
Of course we all hope that Tom comes good, but if he doesn't she his drafting be classified as:

Another case of the curse of the Swans Father Son pick (John, Doyle, James)
or
Another case of the curse of the Swans First Round Pick?

Mcveigh, Jetta and Rohan wouldn't call those players a curse. Tom Mitchell will be one of our best players in the future, he will take ROK's spot on the team when he retires and play it better. A year ago i would have said he would have taken jude's spot but it appears a player wearing 26 looks like a gun.

For a player to be injured as long as he was last year and come back and be dominant for WA in the last two matches is a sign of how good this kid is. I would be suprised if he is not a regular by the end of this year(if he can shake off these injuries).

Alan
16th April 2012, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know what kind of style midfielder Tom is? Is he one of those mega classy silky smooth gut running types like Cousins/Murphy?

Yep, I watched him on a couple of occasions when I lived out west and he has a good blend of inside and outside capability. Is good on both sides of his body and can take a catch when he has to, can run all day. Not sure what the profile states but he looks about the height of Jarred Moore only slighter in build. It will be a dilemma for the coaching staff where and how to use him as he is so versatile. Could even captain our team one day. He is very, very highly regarded in the WAFL.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th April 2012, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Cpt. Kirk;566342]Mcveigh, Jetta and Rohan wouldn't call those players a curse. QUOTE]

Nor I, the three players you mention do look the goods. Your response to my jockular speculation on the existance of a curse on the Swans first round draft choices seemed most ernest.

For some reason however, it did seem that you have inadvertently neglected to mention that 4 out of 5 of the Swans first round draft picks that were selected between McVeigh and Rohan are no longer with the club. (Veszpremi, LJ, Dan O'Keefe & Willoughby).

A fact which certainly decreases the authoritativeness of you response.

Swansongster
16th April 2012, 02:42 PM
Your response to my jockular speculation on the existance of a curse ...

Pedant alert. I think we'd prefer to avoid speculation about what's in your jocks. However, your jocular speculation is most welcome. Also happy for you to take a stance on the existence of a curse.
:smile:

We should be patient with Tom. If he reaches half his potential it is worth waiting for his young body to heal and develop for the rigours of AFL.

chalbilto
16th April 2012, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Cpt. Kirk;566342]Mcveigh, Jetta and Rohan wouldn't call those players a curse. QUOTE]

Nor I, the three players you mention do look the goods. Your response to my jockular speculation on the existance of a curse on the Swans first round draft choices seemed most ernest.

For some reason however, it did seem that you have inadvertently neglected to mention that 4 out of 5 of the Swans first round draft picks that were selected between McVeigh and Rohan are no longer with the club. (Veszpremi, LJ, Dan O'Keefe & Willoughby).

A fact which certainly decreases the authoritativeness of you response.

It is fair to say that in this period these picks were not successful. However, before you classify them as "the curse of the Swans First Round Pick" a comparison should be made with the successes of other first round picks at other clubs. It could make interesting reading.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th April 2012, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Ruck'n'Roll;566366]It is fair to say that in this period these picks were not successful. However, before you classify them as "the curse of the Swans First Round Pick" a comparison should be made with the successes of other first round picks at other clubs. It could make interesting reading.

It could well be, I certainly had no idea of how we stand in comparison to other team's first round track record and it could be interesting, but frankly I'm not interested enough to do that much research (I got as far as 8/11 for the Hawks in the same period then lost interest, sorry).

In any case I'm more "concerned" when I see my jocular :redface: aside being refuted, with every sign of seriousness, by some "slightly disengenous" examples/proofs. It's like proving that all cruise liners sink by naming the Lusitania, the Titanic and the Costa Concordia in front of a panel of experts in maritime history.

caj23
17th April 2012, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Ruck'n'Roll;566366]

It is fair to say that in this period these picks were not successful. However, before you classify them as "the curse of the Swans First Round Pick" a comparison should be made with the successes of other first round picks at other clubs. It could make interesting reading.

Our recruiting in first rounds was extremely ordinary around that period (see Vezpremi before Rioli, O'Keefe before anyone), and it has cost us on the field over the last few years. Thankfully Kinnear Beatson has come in and changed that trend recently.

If you were to go back and make the comparison RnR I think you'll find it will confirm how badly we did

Cpt. Kirk
1st May 2012, 09:46 PM
On the injury report this week, Matt Cameron said if Mitchell makes it through training on Thursday which sounds likely he could be playing in our 2s this week. Should be an exciting weekend hopefully there is another stream or radio call on the game i can listen too.

DeadlyAkkuret
1st May 2012, 10:13 PM
It begins. I just want him to get through his first game unscathed, even if he doesn't do too much.

Lucky Knickers
1st May 2012, 10:17 PM
It begins. I just want him to get through his first game unscathed, even if he doesn't do too much.
Apparently he is a ball monster. Suspect we'll keep need that headgear down on the bench.

Lucky Knickers
1st May 2012, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=chalbilto;566392]

Our recruiting in first rounds was extremely ordinary around that period (see Vezpremi before Rioli, O'Keefe before anyone), and it has cost us on the field over the last few years.
We certainly aren't alone in that regard. I think it more exciting and impressive that we have always seemed to pluck the extraordinary from the latter rounds.

Nico
1st May 2012, 10:19 PM
Excuse me....can anyone please explain how we fit him into the team.

Lucky Knickers
1st May 2012, 10:28 PM
Makes you glad you're not Horse doesn't it.

Nico
1st May 2012, 10:34 PM
Makes you glad you're not Horse doesn't it.

Don't know about that. They call him horse for a reason.

Lucky Knickers
1st May 2012, 10:42 PM
Don't know about that. They call him horse for a reason.
Chk chk BOOOM!

DeadlyAkkuret
1st May 2012, 10:46 PM
Judging by some of his tactical moves on Sunday, I'd say Longmire's pen is mightier than the sword.

jono2707
1st May 2012, 11:51 PM
Apparently he is a ball monster. Suspect we'll keep need that headgear down on the bench.

From the very limited amount I saw of him last year on TV he certainly is a real in and under type - tough but efficient, got his hands on the ball plenty of times. Like most of our present midfield I don't think self-preservation would be highest on his list of priorities.

DLBIA14
2nd May 2012, 12:07 AM
Does anyone know what his marking ability is like? I know he is a bit short, but he's got some degree of body strength.

Horse was quite smart with the way Parker was introduced into the side. His ability overhead, strong body and pressure skills meant that he worked well as a defensive forward, but also bobbed up at opportune times to kick goals. He also got some rotations in the midfield and clearly his development path benefited from his early introduction to senior footy.

If Mitchell lives up to expectations I would dearly love to play him in the senior side this year for purely self-indulgent reasons. We've heard so much about him since he was 16 and the club rates his work ethic and ability very highly. Hopefully he comes back strong from injury and pulls together some good games. Hanners practically demanded a senior spot with his ressies performances; it would be a pleasure to see Mitchell do the same.

Cpt. Kirk
2nd May 2012, 02:25 AM
He is player that without the injuries which have plagued him over the last 1 1/2 years would have gone before coniglio in the draft(and father son pick), can't wait to see him play.

Dominated the two under 18s games that he played with great disposal numbers and a few goals.

/fingers crossed he plays in the 1s vs richmond so i can watch it.

wolftone57
2nd May 2012, 07:29 AM
There is good reason to think we may get a look at him this weekend. Those stupid people at the NEAFL have put the game on at Blacktown. Why Blacktown for goodness sake? Why not at the SCG pre the seniors? Although it is a Sydney Uni home game. I would have thought they would play on the beautiful and picturesque Sydney Uni Cricket Ground. It is a wonderful place to watch sport and has a fabulous Uni bar just nearby. Maybe they don't have goal posts or something like that? I don't think they play Rugby on it either as they have other designated fields for ruggers but I may be wrong. Anyone know the reason?

wolftone57
2nd May 2012, 07:34 AM
I should have stayed on subject, woops! Tom may not play this year in the seniors but he will get a chance to get used to our style of game and his new team-mates in the resies. There is still plenty of time for him to push for selection along the track this year but we will see. I like what I saw in the highlights reel. Being an onballer it may take him a little time to get the rhythm of play after such a long break. Looking forward to seeing him in a fortnight against Eastlake at the SCG.

Dosser
2nd May 2012, 09:43 AM
Excuse me....can anyone please explain how we fit him into the team.

This is the sort of news that would make Cunningham depressed as Mitchell would potentially take his spot in the seniors.

Primmy
2nd May 2012, 09:52 AM
There is good reason to think we may get a look at him this weekend. Those stupid people at the NEAFL have put the game on at Blacktown. Why Blacktown for goodness sake? Why not at the SCG pre the seniors? Although it is a Sydney Uni home game. I would have thought they would play on the beautiful and picturesque Sydney Uni Cricket Ground. It is a wonderful place to watch sport and has a fabulous Uni bar just nearby. Maybe they don't have goal posts or something like that? I don't think they play Rugby on it either as they have other designated fields for ruggers but I may be wrong. Anyone know the reason? apparently there is some ground renno going on. Can't imagine Syd Uni choosing to play out at Blacktown, it is their home game.

Primmy
2nd May 2012, 09:53 AM
Re Tommy boy, apparently at training yesterday there was a crow line of coaches watching intently the ressies group. I would not be surprised if it partly coincided with decisions re Tommy playing his first ressie game.

Mr Magoo
2nd May 2012, 11:03 AM
He would have to have about ten games in the ressies before hes even considered. He may be a gun under 18 but that rarely converts immediately into a gun AFL midfielder. Theres no one in the team you would drop for him anyway who fills a similar role.

Primmy
2nd May 2012, 12:02 PM
He is not a chance in Hades of getting into seniors, you are right Mag, he has to play a mottza in ressies first. The Crows on the Fence (coaches) are still assessing if he is right enough to even play in ressies. Seniors is not an option. Yet. This year. Perhaps.

ABloodsMan
2nd May 2012, 02:10 PM
He is a definate chance to play seniors this year if his tank is up to it. Remember last year when he first came back from his 18 month injury, something like 44 possies, a goal and 8 tackles. If he is fit enough, he will play this year.

Mr Magoo
2nd May 2012, 04:25 PM
He is a definate chance to play seniors this year if his tank is up to it. Remember last year when he first came back from his 18 month injury, something like 44 possies, a goal and 8 tackles. If he is fit enough, he will play this year.

He is a chance but probably a slim one at that. If you finished your second sentence with "against the INSERT AFL TEAM" I would agree he is more of a chance but wasnt it an under 18s or WAFL game?. Would love to think he could add to what is looking a formidable midfield but more likely he will be working with Rohan to push back into the team post our premiership success at the end of this year (sorry slipped into a dream there for a moment).

Peace
25th May 2012, 04:15 PM
I can hear the train starting already but the bloody tracks haven't even been laid yet!!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-swans-ball-magnet-tom-mitchell-just-warming-up/story-e6frepf6-1226366961316

GongSwan
25th May 2012, 04:52 PM
I don't think there will be a rush to push him into senior footy, although it may depend on whether Jude and ROK play on next year and how much they drop off in performance with age. He might get a run against GC or GWS if at all this year, but only if we are hit with injury or the like

jono2707
25th May 2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think there will be a rush to push him into senior footy, although it may depend on whether Jude and ROK play on next year and how much they drop off in performance with age. He might get a run against GC or GWS if at all this year, but only if we are hit with injury or the like

I thought that too previously, but after seeing him last weekend, I feel he'd be ready sooner rather than later. I think he's a serious chance for a run anytime in the next few weeks, although I agree that injuries would make this path more likely. Apparently he still has a bit of a fitness base to build up, so if I was in charge I'd be flogging him over the next few weeks on the training track, kind of a mini-pre-season in the middle of the season, and only givining him reasonably limited NEAFL time for a couple of weeks. Then we'd see if he's ready to roll. He is a good one.....

aardvark
25th May 2012, 06:19 PM
so if I was in charge I'd be flogging him over the next few weeks on the training track,

He's an 18/19 year old kid recovering from severe knee tendonitis. I'm really glad you're not in charge, he'd never play again.

Big Al
25th May 2012, 06:30 PM
We have a potential 200+ gamer here so there's no need to kill him by pushing him too early. The coaches will show patience so I'm going to do the same thing.