PDA

View Full Version : Swans chat 2018 membership numbers

YvonneH
23rd November 2017, 07:25 AM
Will we break through the 60,000 barrier this year? We came close last year. but no cigars.

The number is not yet up on the membership page (like last year).

Doctor J.
23rd November 2017, 07:47 AM
Would have done it easily last year if not for the 0-6 start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevoswan
23rd November 2017, 11:50 AM
Maybe it will drop due to the shi**y draw for families.....

chuckie
24th November 2017, 08:54 AM
Regardless of the draw you buy a ticket to support the club.
I spend over $1000 on membership tickets.
A family ticket that never gets used as two of the kids live in Thailand, one child lives in Queensland his father is in the army based in Queensland another grandchild's father has split up with our daughter and the weekends that he has him usually coinicides with a Swans game in Melbourne and he won't let him go.
My wife and I were only able to go to one game this year but still none of this will stop us from buying tickets to support the Swannies even if it means eating nothing but potatoes again for 2 months.

Nico
24th November 2017, 04:58 PM
1 more to keep the numbers moving. Signed up my 3yo grandson this morning.

barry
24th November 2017, 06:18 PM
A family ticket that never gets used as two of the kids live in Thailand, one child lives in Queensland his father is in the army based in Queensland another grandchild's father has split up with our daughter and the weekends that he has him usually coinicides with a Swans game in Melbourne and he won't let him go.
My wife and I were only able to go to one game this year but still none of this will stop us from buying tickets to support the Swannies even if it means eating nothing but potatoes again for 2 months.
While I admire your support for the swans I can't help cringe that you, ma and pa battler, are gifting $1000 of your money to a corporate turning over $40 million in revenue.

Support shouldn't be measured in $$.

stevoswan
25th November 2017, 01:22 PM
While I admire your support for the swans I can't help cringe that you, ma and pa battler, are gifting $1000 of your money to a corporate turning over $40 million in revenue.

Support shouldn't be measured in $$.

Tend to agree with you there Barry. People have a right to expect value for their 'hard earned' and not everyone is flushed with enough cash to basically 'donate' to a rich corporate entity. I know the draw is not the clubs fault but a lot of people buy a membership to be able to see their team regularly for reasonable outlay and I don't blame Mr and Mrs Average passing on something which does not, in their minds, deliver value....The club is not a charity and most fans are not rich.

CureTheSane
25th November 2017, 01:36 PM

You commit to spending $1000 on football admission even if that means you have to eat only potatoes for 2 months?
Each to their own, but I bet the club wouldn't not want that happening.

I'm assuming that you are using this as a descriptive analogy to demonstrate unwavering support and dedication.
To me it's just weird.

I know there are a range of people here all at different levels of support.
Personally I only get to a couple of games a year as
1. I live in Victoria
2. I travel a lot.
I don't buy a membership at all, and in no way does that diminish my role as a Swans fan. I support the team in other ways - merch etc.

wolftone57
26th November 2017, 02:07 PM
After 5 years, before that I lived elsewhere and could not attend games, I have resigned my membership. Too many night games in the middle of winter. I simply can't do winter and winter nights are hell for me. I suffer during the winter due to osteoarthritis and spinal degeneration and am in too much pain at night. I loathe it. Rather be in Thailand and probably will be.

The AFL have stuffed my footy season by programing night games. Why is it that Sydney Swans fans asked for less night games, more day and twilight games but the AFL in their wisdom program almost all night games. Bastards.

BRISWAN
27th November 2017, 08:27 AM
After 5 years, before that I lived elsewhere and could not attend games, I have resigned my membership. Too many night games in the middle of winter. I simply can't do winter and winter nights are hell for me. I suffer during the winter due to osteoarthritis and spinal degeneration and am in too much pain at night. I loathe it. Rather be in Thailand and probably will be.

The AFL have stuffed my footy season by programing night games. Why is it that Sydney Swans fans asked for less night games, more day and twilight games but the AFL in their wisdom program almost all night games. Bastards.

T.V. Ratings ole chum !!

bloodspirit
27th November 2017, 10:19 AM
I don't think the club minds - it helps the sponsorship dollars roll in in a big way and they are still getting growing memberships and attendances at games. Probably the exposure on TV etc helps generate more new fans and attendance than it puts off. But I certainly prefer afternoon games - Saturday afternoon is my favourite time slot.

Nico
27th November 2017, 11:37 AM
Wolfy. You can join Ludwig in Chiang Rai. AFL international membership is about $180 and you get the lot on line.

Vonsteinman
3rd December 2017, 10:37 AM
SCG on a sunny afternoon will struggle to compete with these numbers....

GF, Friday night footy dominates TV ratings - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-03/gf-friday-night-footy-dominates-tv-ratings)

kangle4
3rd December 2017, 04:24 PM

GF, Friday night footy dominates TV ratings - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-03/gf-friday-night-footy-dominates-tv-ratings)

I know it's upset people but this is why we've got so many night games, we should be proud of it.

longmile
3rd December 2017, 07:06 PM

Let's hope as the most popular team in Australia we get a bit of bias this year!

YvonneH
3rd December 2017, 08:26 PM
Let's hope as the most popular team in Australia we get a bit of bias this year!

I wouldn't count on it.

Sandridge
3rd December 2017, 08:45 PM

Wow! 5 of the 10 most watched games of the Home and Away season involved us! And all of those 5 were Friday night games.
No wonder the AFL has decided that Swans are nocturnal.

erica
4th December 2017, 06:59 AM
I don't mind Friday night games as long as they are away games. :smile:

Vonsteinman
4th December 2017, 02:16 PM
25,480 signed up so far, which is about 1,500 down on the same time last year.... I guess the lack of sunny afternoons (or some might say, fair weather :wink:) is telling. Or perhaps the slow start reflects that of the team in 2017..?

S.S. Bleeder
5th December 2017, 11:33 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the membership caps are really flimsy this year? They are still made by ISC. Also, I missed out on a bumper sticker :-(. Might have to just buy one from the website.

S.S. Bleeder
5th December 2017, 11:36 AM

Putting it bluntly, that's just pathetic. You're a barracker, NOT a supporter. I hardly go to any games each season due to work commitments and the fact that I live in Melbourne but I still fork out money to support my team.

S.S. Bleeder
5th December 2017, 02:14 PM
Edit: Pathetic excuse not pathetic.

YvonneH
6th December 2017, 07:01 AM
Received my membership package yesterday. Bring on 2018.
Does anyone know if we will get the little fold down card with the fixture, NEAFL fixture, and all Swans players listed on it this year?

I seem to remember that last year it came later with the Swans magazine.

barry
6th December 2017, 12:32 PM
Putting it bluntly, that's just pathetic. You're a barracker, NOT a supporter. I hardly go to any games each season due to work commitments and the fact that I live in Melbourne but I still fork out money to support my team.

While I detest the valuing of fans by $$. I think you've created a new category.

Dollar Fan categories.
1. Fool (and his money)
2. Supporter
3. Barracker.

Often those who think they are a no. 2, are really a no. 1.
????

Swansongster
6th December 2017, 02:12 PM

Correct me if I am wrong as I am only going on memory but weren't all of those highest rating games close, see-sawing battles where anybody could win until late in the fourth quarter?

I think this may skew the highest ratings stats. If my Friday night habits are any guide, I think fans of all teams, all over the country may not all sit down to watch the Friday night game but they do monitor the scores through mobile devices, social media, real-life contact with real people or other methods.

If a good game is brewing, we switch on? If one-sided we don't bother?

Prime-time games for the Swans last year were nail-bitingly close, weren't they (again, from memory)?

dejavoodoo44
6th December 2017, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong as I am only going on memory but weren't all of those highest rating games close, see-sawing battles where anybody could win until late in the fourth quarter?

I think this may skew the highest ratings stats. If my Friday night habits are any guide, I think fans of all teams, all over the country may not all sit down to watch the Friday night game but they do monitor the scores through mobile devices, social media, real-life contact with real people or other methods.

If a good game is brewing, we switch on? If one-sided we don't bother?

Prime-time games for the Swans last year were nail-bitingly close, weren't they (again, from memory)?

Yes, you're probably right, in the way the way that you mentioned, but on the other hand, I think that ratings are probably skewed against sports, in one important aspect. That is, the people that watch footy at pubs and clubs, aren't included in the ratings. Since pretty well every pub or club in Australia would have at least one TV with some sort of footy on it, with at least some of the customers paying attention, then there's a large chunk of the viewing audience that isn't being counted. Whereas, if The Block or My Kitchen Rules happens to be on a pub TV, pretty well no one pays attention.

YvonneH
20th December 2017, 07:28 AM
28,663. A little bit slower than last year (I think).
Can we crack 60,000 this year?

Mel_C
20th December 2017, 03:14 PM
I won't be renewing until January to give my credit card a rest after the festive season ????. So maybe others are doing the same. Or it could be that the lack of day games has deterred people from signing up.

I heard a report last week that Essendon had already signed up 50,000 members!

It's early days...let's see our numbers when the season starts.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

YvonneH
12th January 2018, 07:37 AM
30,284. A long way to go before we break the 60,000 barrier. Can we do it?

barry
12th January 2018, 01:28 PM
Expect a drop in 2018 due to where we finished compared to 2016/17.
Win the first 5 games and we'll give 60k a crack again. :-)

12th January 2018, 04:17 PM
Richmond, wonder how they're going?

I wonder how that bizarre Focus on Footy group are going?!!

Vonsteinman
28th January 2018, 04:16 PM
According to the website the number is above 37k now, which appears to put it ahead of the same time last year...

CureTheSane
29th January 2018, 01:33 AM
Tippo's retirement probably got a few more memberships over the line :)

YvonneH
15th February 2018, 07:09 AM
40,002. We are 2/3rds of the way to 60,000. Can we do it this year?

Sandridge
15th February 2018, 12:18 PM
40,002. We are 2/3rds of the way to 60,000. Can we do it this year?

Thanks for the regular updates Yvonne. Where do you get your figures from? I've quickly scanned the Swans website and can't find them there.

I should be used to our elevated membership numbers by now but as an old South Melbourne supporter, I''m still amazed - and thankful! - that we're attracting such big numbers!

For comparison purposes, can anyone tell me what would be considered to be good membership numbers for Sydney based NRL teams?

YvonneH
15th February 2018, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the regular updates Yvonne. Where do you get your figures from? I've quickly scanned the Swans website and can't find them there.

I should be used to our elevated membership numbers by now but as an old South Melbourne supporter, I''m still amazed - and thankful! - that we're attracting such big numbers!

For comparison purposes, can anyone tell me what would be considered to be good membership numbers for Sydney based NRL teams?

Go to the 'membership' tag on the Swans website and scroll down.

neilfws
16th February 2018, 10:47 PM

Don't know how "official" these are, but here they are:

2018 NRL Club Membership Tracker ? League Unlimited (http://leagueunlimited.com/news/31031-2018-nrl-club-membership-tracker/)

EDIT: and here's the official page I guess:

https://www.nrl.com/membership/

CureTheSane
16th February 2018, 11:12 PM
Compare NSW Rugby total members to NSW AFL total members for a fairer comparison.

Sandridge
17th February 2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks neilfws and CTS for your replies. Most interesting to compare the figures!

jono2707
19th February 2018, 12:29 PM
Compare NSW Rugby total members to NSW AFL total members for a fairer comparison.

I would have thought Rugby League would be a better source of comparison over rugby?

YvonneH
23rd February 2018, 09:55 AM
44,074 according to website. We are getting there

YvonneH
28th February 2018, 07:18 AM
50,711 Go Swans

YvonneH
18th April 2018, 08:34 AM
58,234. getting close to 60,000 which is our aim. Does anyone remember what last years total was?

Sandridge
18th April 2018, 02:22 PM
58,234. getting close to 60,000 which is our aim. Does anyone remember what last years total was?

THINK - and I do mean think - it was between 58,800 and 58,900. May be wrong though!!

liz
18th April 2018, 03:01 PM
THINK - and I do mean think - it was between 58,800 and 58,900. May be wrong though!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-membership-ladder-collingwood-back-on-top-essendon-soars-north-melbourne-dives/news-story/ea4092020063accd5325d0ec2ecb2a16

bloodspirit
18th April 2018, 03:36 PM
I have read recently that not only do the Tigers now have over 90,000 members but that another club that I didn't expect to have so many members had over 70,000. Now I can't remember which club it was. I don't think it was one of the big Melbourne clubs.

jazzamcc
21st April 2018, 07:59 PM
I have read recently that not only do the Tigers now have over 90,000 members but that another club that I didn't expect to have so many members had over 70,000. Now I can't remember which club it was. I don't think it was one of the big Melbourne clubs.

That would be Essendon. They are nudging 71k members now

barry
21st April 2018, 08:14 PM
I thought I heard Adelaide had nearly 80,000 members on TV last night. Seems high.

- - - Updated - - -

Adelaide: 82,000 members.

30th April 2018, 01:30 PM
New record, 58,839 and climbing!

Aprilbr
30th April 2018, 11:19 PM
The magical 60k in sight. Our membership numbers are very respectable and above many Victorian clubs including Geelong and Carlton.

We also boast one of the highest corporate sponsorship income of any club. What we don�t have (probably for the best) is passive income from poker machines on which clubs like Hawthorn are heavily dependent. This puts our overall revenue at lower levels than the big clubs and middling overall.

mcs
30th April 2018, 11:26 PM
The magical 60k in sight. Our membership numbers are very respectable and above many Victorian clubs including Geelong and Carlton.

We also boast one of the highest corporate sponsorship income of any club. What we don�t have (probably for the best) is passive income from poker machines on which clubs like Hawthorn are heavily dependent. This puts our overall revenue at lower levels than the big clubs and middling overall.

I am damn proud we dont leech off the misery of people through poker machines.

Prefer to be middling in terms of finances than reliant on taking advantage of some of the most vulnerable in the community to prop up our footy club.

Aprilbr
2nd May 2018, 12:22 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, mcs. The so called �family club� Hawthorn is so reliant on this scourge.

YvonneH
15th May 2018, 07:22 PM
59,202 according to Swans website. Only 798 more to go to reach 60,000.

Ben Ronke may just get us over the line.

Swanny40519
16th May 2018, 12:08 PM
Great news - but I wish the club would make more headlines about pushing close to 60,000 - make it a leading article in the website and try and get it in the Sydney and Melbourne newspapers.

It was not long ago we would have had a fraction of that number.

Doctor J.
17th May 2018, 01:05 AM
Great news - but I wish the club would make more headlines about pushing close to 60,000 - make it a leading article in the website and try and get it in the Sydney and Melbourne newspapers.

It was not long ago we would have had a fraction of that number.

This is going to show my age.

In 1982 I walked into the SMFC office on the Friday afternoon before the start of the season and purchased my membership ticket. 1982 being the first year of the clubs move to Sydney. I paid my money for a members ticket that gave me entry to all 11 games played in Melbourne. That ticket I was given was member number 35!!! Yes not that long ago we indeed did have a fraction of that number.

Meg
17th May 2018, 01:20 AM
This is going to show my age.

In 1982 I walked into the SMFC office on the Friday afternoon before the start of the season and purchased my membership ticket. 1982 being the first year of the clubs move to Sydney. I paid my money for a members ticket that gave me entry to all 11 games played in Melbourne. That ticket I was given was member number 35!!! Yes not that long ago we indeed did have a fraction of that number.

That made me laugh! I hope you�ve kept the ticket Doctor, it�s now a piece of memorabilia.

Aaron
18th May 2018, 12:10 PM
60,000 and counting --- 60,039 announced today.

mcs
18th May 2018, 12:18 PM

Awesome outcome for the club - we have made such huge strides in recent years. Even if one considers 1/3 of those members might be of the oft quoted 'bandwagon' type that could perhaps drop off in time if our form/results drop off for an extended period, that still means we have a solid rump of 40K members. Great stuff to see and long may it continue (clap)(clap)

Swanny40519
18th May 2018, 02:51 PM
Fantastic news. Well done to all the staff, players and members.

Sandridge
18th May 2018, 06:15 PM

An absolutely magnificent achievement!

When you consider how our club has dragged itself up from the depths of despair, this has been a monumental effort from everyone!

We've gone from being the club that everyone felt sorry for to the club that everyone wants to be like.

MIGHTY BLOODS FOREVER!

YvonneH
22nd May 2018, 08:06 AM

Looked again today on the website. 60,000 is the number now up. What happened to the 39? Did they change their minds and cancel?

Aaron
22nd May 2018, 12:07 PM
Looked again today on the website. 60,000 is the number now up. What happened to the 39? Did they change their minds and cancel?

39 pet members? No, I think simply the web page has not been updated so regularly since they have reached the 60K target.