• Reserves Report; Sydney v Belconnen - Saturday 10 April 2010, SCG

Some surprises in the starting line up and the positions. ?Weed? Reid was recruited as a backman, but is playing KPP forward. Terrific to see LJ (Lewis Johnson) up and about as the other key forward. The midfield is Smith, Barlow, Rohan and O?Dwyer. Pyke rucking and Crusher up forward. Key defensive responsibilities with Teddy and Campbell Heath Campbell (aka Jones).

Not a good start, Scooter (Vez) made a bad turnover, but Belconnen missed. But soon after the midfield started to dominate and the game becomes a training drill. Reid and Currie had a picnic, and kicked all five of the Swans goals, two of the five came from good contested marks. Belconnen could only answer with three points.

More of the same in the second quarter. After Belconnen won the first clearance and get a goal from it, Bluey Rohan kicked a good long set shot after receiving the pass from LJ. Nick Smith went through a period where he won several consecutive centre clearances, two resulted in goals, one to top up Potter junior. Bluey then returned LJ?s favour by giving him the pass for another. Trent Dennis (Penny) Lane, who had appeared late in the first quarter, got it to Reid for another mark and goal. Reid drilled a long one in for Pyke to mark and goal. McNeil then snagged a great snap. Reid marked a long kick by O?Dwyer and nailed the long angled set shot. Nick Smith finished things off with a classic rovers snap goal.

According to normal Swans practice the guys took their collective feet off the pedal in a pretty forgettable third quarter. The Swans only goals came after Cheese drilled a long accurate pass to Nipper Gordon who passed on the LJ. He saluted with an angled 45 metre set shot. Penny Lane got the other in a goal square scramble.

The Frosty Dew must have delivered a few cannons at the break, because the goal flow resumed in the last. LJ nailed agood snap, Crusher accepted a pass from Nipper and drilled a long set shot. Nipper provided Scooter with another chance and he nailed a long bomb. Scooter handalled to O?Dwyer for a classy angled snap. Finally two unknown kids gave themselves a thrill by combining to get another snapped goal (Emery and.....)

Goals Reid 5 (straight), Currie 4, Johnston 2, Dennis-Lane, Veszpremi, Rohan, McNeil, Pyke, Smith, O'Dwyer, Kruger, Emery

5-2 13-3 15-7 20-8-128.
    0-3 4-7 7-9 9-12-66.

Highlights: Successful return by LJ, continued improvement from Nipper, good ruckwork by Crusher, and Weed the goalscorer, taking contested marks and quality kicking style.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Reserves Report; Sydney v Belconnen - Saturday 10 April 2010, SCG started by Primmy View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
      Reggi -
      http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...7/default.aspx

Campbell Heath amongst the best every week, and no mention from ressies observers? Veszpremi no mention
      Primmy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
      http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...7/default.aspx

Campbell Heath amongst the best every week, and no mention from ressies observers? Veszpremi no mention
      Go and look on the Ressies Forum.

Honestly we work and work and noone (that means you Reggi....) knows where we post it to!!!
      Triple B -
      Reggi, i think whoever puts together the ressies bests may have a thing for Campbell Heath.

He's been OK in both games I've seen, but nowhere near BOG in either, yet as you say, named BOG in both games?

I don't think so.
      ugg -
      For key defenders how well they play is highly dependent on the quality of the opponent they have been assigned to. Given that the majority of us have little idea of who are the gun forwards from the opposition teams it is hard for us to pinpoint how good Heath was in his role.
      Triple B -
      Excellent point Ugg.

It's like our mids who may have a quieter game than we are used to, yet may have had a solid tag by somebody quite capable of playing that negating role to a high level.
      Reggi -
      Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
      For key defenders how well they play is highly dependent on the quality of the opponent they have been assigned to. Given that the majority of us have little idea of who are the gun forwards from the opposition teams it is hard for us to pinpoint how good Heath was in his role.
      My theory is curly hair makes him stand out

Presumably the coaching staff do the best. I hope Heath does develop given C Bolton cannot play forever. Kieran Jack would be one of those for us, tough gig every week

Frankly I hope they rest Rohan, let him build up the fitness for AFL level, long career ahead of him

I am just curious whether Veszpremi can get in good enough form to demand a spot
      ugg -
      Stuart Dew was coaching the backs yesterday, perhaps 'Cambo' is one of his favourites. Left footed defender with a lovely kick - sound familiar?
      Triple B -
      Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
      Frankly I hope they rest Rohan, let him build up the fitness for AFL level, long career ahead of him

I am just curious whether Veszpremi can get in good enough form to demand a spot
      Agree re: Rohan, maybe not rest, but certainly don't rush.

If injuries saw Vespa come in next week, it wouldn't be undeserved, but he certainly isn't 'demanding' selection, unlike Hannebery in Rd 1
      Old Royboy -
      A few things to be excited about this week.

Our boys gave Belconnen a thoruogh hosing - this has not happened for for three years. In the corresponding game last year (despite Humpty's debut) the kids lost by 100 points.

Lewis Johnstone. Tall, fast, good mark, good kick. Jessie had better find some form soon because if this kid keeps delivering he will soon be putting big pressure on for his spot.

Sam (the Weed) Reid. Real talent, could be another diamond dredged out of the draft dregs. He's no backman, kicked goals from all distances and angles, a good contested mark too.

Crusher Currie. Some big kids take a lot of time to develop, and Dan is one of those. But it was very noticable that the clearance rate increasesd when Crusher was doing the ruckwork. He could develop into a beaut tap ruckman, just have to give him the time.

Young Nipper Gordon continues to develop.

Otherwise, much as expected. O'Dwyer and Barlow got leather poisoning and Nick Smith got dirty getting it out of the packs. Patty is growing into the quarterback role and doing a good job of it.

Conservatively there are at least half a dozen who would walk into the Tigers starting 22. Not a bad place for us to be.
      dimelb -
      Thanks everyone, great to read. Looks like a good year ahead.
      liz -
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
      Conservatively there are at least half a dozen who would walk into the Tigers starting 22. Not a bad place for us to be.
      That's very conservative. Given that Relton Roberts and that kid with the blonde dreadlocks are getting games for the Tiges, that number would have to be closer to a dozen based on yesterdays two performances.

I thought it was a spectactularly good game by our boys, especially considering the relatively strong opposition. One thing that struck me was just how tall we looked. I thought we were still lacking a bit of depth (or developing talent, anyway) in the tall man department but yesterday's forward line boasted Currie, Reid, Johnston, Playfair and at times Pyke with the not so small Rohan running in frequently too. Sometimes they were all in there at the same time. Plus one of the toppies (Emery I think) was a big lump of a lad. Had to feel a bit sorry for the Belconnen defence. They had no chance against that marking power.

I think the greatest pleasure for me was sitting back and not having to witness a certain player (wwrn) continuously handballing the ball at the toes of a team mate 5 metres away. Sorry but it had to be said.
      Primmy -
      PLEASE NOTE: OldRoyBoy wrote the report, ably assisted by Primmy and BBB, and posted by Primmy. I didn't write it - credit must go to ORB.
      ugg -
      Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
      I think the greatest pleasure for me was sitting back and not having to witness a certain player (wwrn) continuously handballing the ball at the toes of a team mate 5 metres away. Sorry but it had to be said.
      Not sure what 'wwrn' refers to exactly, but we all miss Brabazon too.
      liz -
      "Who will remain nameless" - now you've gone and spoilt it
      Primmy -
      Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
      "Who will remain nameless" - now you've gone and spoilt it
      Aawwww, it wouldn't have taken long.
      ShockOfHair -
      I thought it slightly odd that Heath had 19 touches and was rated ahead of Barlow who had 39, which seems a pretty good day out.

Thanks to ORB, Prim et al for the report. Nice work on the nicknames, too.
      Jesse Richards -
      Thanks for the Reserves Report, really much appreciated.
  • #goswans Feed

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO