Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading

Can't see any way in the world the Swans would let Bevan leave. Bevan is unlucky this year in that we've had such a good run with injuries. We need the depth he provides, and he would be on the lower echelons of the pay scale. Mad to let him go. Of course everyone has a price, but I don't think he would command top draft picks.

On the Rookie List

Trades

An opposition team would more than likely give us a little more in return for a player who has been in the team rather than one struggling to get a game. Hence, I don't believe Saddington or Bevan would command as much as when they were in the team.
    On the other hand I note with interest that Fosdike is performing a little more consistently and as a member of our finals (hopefully Grand Final) team may create more interest particularly from South Australia, where Port Adelaide have already started making noises about requiring midfielders.

Re: Trades

Originally posted by originalswan
    An opposition team would more than likely give us a little more in return for a player who has been in the team rather than one struggling to get a game. Hence, I don't believe Saddington or Bevan would command as much as when they were in the team.
    On the other hand I note with interest that Fosdike is performing a little more consistently and as a member of our finals (hopefully Grand Final) team may create more interest particularly from South Australia, where Port Adelaide have already started making noises about requiring midfielders.
    The issue last year with Fossie, IIRC, was that he was still under contract and the SA clubs baulked at his contract payments. Unsure if he is now out of contract, but appears more valuable now than last year.

I would expect very little trade activity from the Swans this year, bar some delistings at the bottom end

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    What would happen if Ball retires? Would we just draft/trade a mature aged ruckman (ala Mott) or put all our eggs in the one basket and count on Doyle to last the whole year to help big Jol?

Erickson and the Big Earl certainly aren't ready yet.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

I think we are selling Saddo really short. That guy was our first pick of the 1997 draft which had proven to be a better draft than most others. Two or three years ago (before he was moved to CHB), he was rated as one of very few success coming out of that draft (among other first rounders: Luke Power, Ottens, Johnson and Tarrat).

Before moved to the CHB, he was highly rated. He is not a CHB but it does not mean he cant play. He is an already 100+ gamer. Knee reconstructions take longer to come back (the confidence issue). His knee reconstruction was only about 12 months ago.

So if we are looking to trade him, we should be looking for something decent in return. While he is not in our best 22, it does not mean he is not worth anything. Craig Bolton was not in the Lions best 22 while he was there.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Newbie

So if we are looking to trade him, we should be looking for something decent in return. While he is not in our best 22, it does not mean he is not worth anything. Craig Bolton was not in the Lions best 22 while he was there.
    I agree with your sentiments re Saddo's worth. The bloke can actually play, even if he is no superstar. I reckon he's exactly the kind of player who the Bulldogs need at the moment, given they are lacking height at both ends of the ground. However, I also think he's got lots left to offer Sydney if he stays with us.

'Tis worth noting that the Lions got nothing for Bolton when he left.

Originally posted by liz
    I agree with your sentiments re Saddo's worth. The bloke can actually play, even if he is no superstar. I reckon he's exactly the kind of player who the Bulldogs need at the moment, given they are lacking height at both ends of the ground. However, I also think he's got lots left to offer Sydney if he stays with us.

'Tis worth noting that the Lions got nothing for Bolton when he left.
    IIRC, C Bolton had played very few games (less than 20-30 games) at the Lions and thus was generally unknown to other teams, certainly much less than Saddo who is generally known around the league.

BTW, anyone knows how Doyle is going? While we have all presumed Doyle as the natural replacement for Balls next season, I havent seen any mention of how he is progressing at the moment.

Originally posted by liz
    I agree with your sentiments re Saddo's worth. The bloke can actually play, even if he is no superstar. I reckon he's exactly the kind of player who the Bulldogs need at the moment, given they are lacking height at both ends of the ground.
    That's the spirit-- the Bulldogs have got about 30 fast receivers who can take a grab. Their team seems to be entirely composed of them plus Chris Grant, in fact. We'll give Saddo and take our pick of the Dogs runners, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by SimonH
    That's the spirit-- the Bulldogs have got about 30 fast receivers who can take a grab. Their team seems to be entirely composed of them plus Chris Grant, in fact. We'll give Saddo and take our pick of the Dogs runners, thank you.
    Cooney???

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    BTW, anyone knows how Doyle is going? While we have all presumed Doyle as the natural replacement for Balls next season, I havent seen any mention of how he is progressing at the moment.
    Doyle was at the ARC aftermatch and he told everyone that he has only just got back to running with the group.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Originally posted by ScottH
    Cooney???
    No chance. Saddo is a fringe player in a top 4 team (he is probably ranked around 20th-25th in our team). Bulldogs is a bottom eight team and thus the equivalent trade should be for a player around 15th-20th in their list. That is about as fair as it could be I think.

Blog Entries
    No chance. Saddo is a fringe player in a top 4 team (he is probably ranked around 20th-25th in our team). Bulldogs is a bottom eight team and thus the equivalent trade should be for a player around 15th-20th in their list. That is about as fair as it could be I think.
    That was why the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast