Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Structure

Senior Player

Re: Re: 2006 Structure

Originally posted by Magic Man
    Willo to HB seems like an obvious move
    Personally, I would like to see Willo move to the forward pocket. The early goals against St Kilda proved that he can play the role. Two things that are pivotal, IMO, that support this.

Firstly, ignoring the possibility of another player filling Barry's shoes at FB, the key to our backline is our tall flankers who can drop back and help out. Bolton (190cm), Dempster (192cm) and Kennelly (190cm) constantly drop back and fill the hole. Without these boys, Barry would be stuffed. Other options who rotate through there are all 6' and over such as Mathews (182cm). Willo's quality doesn't deserve back pocket and he isn't tall enough to carry CHB His drive from the HB line would be magnificent but would it be any better than the drive we already get?

About the only insightful thing that Robert Walls has ever said was in the Preliminary Final in the 4th quarter when Schneids was on his rampage. His comment was "you rarely see a crumbed goal from the Sydney team." He is correct. Don't get me wrong, Schneids is one of my favourites but if you would consider Willo in the forward pocket compared to Schneids or Buchanan, that nous, experience and quality would see a very dangerous crumbing small forward.

Buchanan's ability around the packs is second to none in our side. He should be a permanent midfielder next year. Where does this leave Schneider, back pocket maybe?

Re: Re: Re: 2006 Structure

[Buchanan's ability around the packs is second to none in our side. He should be a permanent midfielder next year. Where does this leave Schneider, back pocket maybe? [/B][/QUOTE]

You raise a very valid point - my thoughts behind Willo in the backline would be that it might free one of the others to play on the wing like Kennelly or Dempster. But I see no reason why he couldn't go forward.

I agree with monty he will definitely be in the center next year, that leaves schneids to take the small forward in the backline or to pinch hit up forward when Willo has a run in the midfield. There is definetley plenty of options for willo - I just thought his midfield time would be limited next year and having a cool head down back might have helped. Similar to what Stewie was doing in his final couple of years.

I like the idea of Willo playing in the forward line. He would be very dangerous considering he knows how to win the footy and use it.

As for Crouchie, I would like to see him freed up a bit to play a more attacking role. In most of our finals it was evident how dangerous he was with his pace running through the middle late in games. His effectiveness as a tagger has pigeon-holed him somewhat.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Senior Player
    Originally posted by hammo
    As for Crouchie, I would like to see him freed up a bit to play a more attacking role. In most of our finals it was evident how dangerous he was with his pace running through the middle late in games. His effectiveness as a tagger has pigeon-holed him somewhat.
    This would support the Schneider to back pocket argument.

Senior Player

Re: 2006 Structure

Originally posted by singaporeswan
    With Crouch and Matthews (sic) getting on - who gets groomed as the competitions Nbr 1 tagger? I thought this would be Ablett and don't want to judge his form on the job he has done on Judd but thought he looked a little slow?
    Ablett's leg speed should not be an issue as far as tagging is concerned. If you compare Ablett's leg speed to that of Kirk you would find that Ablett is much faster. To be an effective tagger you have to be able to read the play and block rather than run your opponent down once he has the ball.

To write off Ablett on how he did on Judd on Grand Final day is a bit stiff, Judd was absolutely burning around the packs that day and while Crouch was able to curtail his effectiveness in the second half it could easily be said that Judd is the exception. Ablett has always seemed to play better when he has to follow someone, he gets a bit lost without a direct shut-down role, whether that be across half-back or through the middle, IMO his best position is tagger. An interesting stat from Ablett's season is that he didn't bounce the ball once through his 25 games, suggesting that he gets rid of the ball very quickly. If he holds on to the ball a bit more, his effectiveness will increase.

Malceski simply HAS to play through the middle next season, we may have to introduce him in as a run-with player, moving dempster back, so that he gets near the ball. As when he gets it, look out.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: 2006 Structure

Originally posted by penga
    Malceski simply HAS to play through the middle next season, we may have to introduce him in as a run-with player, moving dempster back, so that he gets near the ball. As when he gets it, look out. [/B]
    I haven't seen much of him at all....what's special?

Re: Re: Re: 2006 Structure

I haven't seen much of him at all....what's special?
    Has one of the flatest left foots I have ever seen - disposal by foot is excellent for a young guy......is similar in build to Fossie and Macca in my opinion - hopefully could develop a big tank and run all day..............IMHO looks the best of the young kids coming through

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2006 Structure

Originally posted by Magic Man
    Has one of the flatest left foots I have ever seen - disposal by foot is excellent for a young guy......is similar in build to Fossie and Macca in my opinion - hopefully could develop a big tank and run all day..............IMHO looks the best of the young kids coming through
    What does a flat left foot mean? I haven't heard that before.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2006 Structure

What does a flat left foot mean? I haven't heard that before.
    Quick and flat through the air (the ball travels that is)
    Worm Burner - is another good description - would be lucky to get 2-3 meters off the ground - just beautiful to watch

Forwards would just love to receive this kind of delivery

Blog Entries
    Thanks Miyagi-san....

Senior Player
    In the third quarter of the Collingwood game mid-season, he gathers the ball on the left-wing, looks up for about 0.5 second, spots O'Keefe running from right half-forward flank to left and absolutely drills a flat, perfect drop punt over 50m that doesn't go above 3m off the ground and hits O'Keefe's hands in front of his face. A look of shock comes over O'Keefe's face as the ball hits him that hard. That is his disposal in a nut shell. Not a fluke kick.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I expect Malceski will play at least 12 games next year. I hope he plays more than that. If he puts in the effort and stays injury free, he could even be as good as Willo senior.

I made sure to get to the Carlton game because he was playing his first game. In that game he did some nice things. He started on the ground, and with his first kick in the AFL he kicked a goal. He played in the middle at the centre bouince in the last quarter and played an important role in a couple of goals when the game was in the balance.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast