Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two months plus and counting...

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.

Two months plus and counting...

...and I'm still struggling with the reality that we won the flag.

I have the poster from the Age on my cubicle wall, the DVD (which is already sticking!), some merch and all, but I still get a shiver up and down my spine thinking about the whole thing. I vague out when I'm bored, or on the phone, and as my eyes wander up the wall, I see the stunned look on LRT's and Dumpster's faces, the relieved look on Nog, the clenched fist and wonky helmet on Judae Ben-Hur, the sheer, unfettered joy on the Monty's, Schneids' and B2's faces (and the rest of them, actually), as well as Bevo's left ear (it's all I can see)... and it all comes flooding back.

Recently on the walk home from walk, a house had had its lawn mown, and I thought of Brereton's comment stating that he always equated the smell of just-mown lawns with spring - and finals time - and in a split second I'm transported back to the G, and the Swans being premiers. I relive it again, and again, and again.

I love it. I just do. No longer am I a joke for supporting a losing club. Pyss off about the game plan, tell somebody who cares. Boring? Bore me to a flag. A crap list? A crap list with premiership medals. Lame ducks? AFL's lovechild? Read your history books. Guts. Determination. Testicular fortitude. Zen. Call it what you like. We're premiers.

Sorry. Got carried away again.

Bat on...
    Last edited by mocaholic; 5th December 2005 at 08:52 AM.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Re: Two months plus and counting...

Originally posted by mocaholic
    Same, but even more for me having gone overseas just afterward and not read or seen anythign of it since. Still seems surreal.

I listened to the end of the 2MMM call yesterday and was still nervous in the last few minutes - what might have been!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Blog Entries
    Seems not that long ago that, it was just another loss, week after week, and when they did win a few in a row, it was back to losing. Hard to get that out of your head, always waiting for the wheels to fall off. Gee they must've been bolted (no pun intended) on bloody tight this year!!

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.

Re: Re: Two months plus and counting...

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Same, but even more for me having gone overseas just afterward and not read or seen anythign of it since. Still seems surreal.

I listened to the end of the 2MMM call yesterday and was still nervous in the last few minutes - what might have been!
    The day after on 3AW, they replayed the last quarter call. My mrs took my girls out, but I was home with the boy (9mths at the time) who was kipping in his cot. I was back on the stubbies, drinking quickly, with all the normal gut-wrenching nervousness I get with any Swans game, walking up & down the passageway. Only this time it was the GF, and despite the fact that I knew we had won, I was pathetic, pacing up and down, biting my nails, effectively smoking without cigarettes. In those last few minutes, I was bloody angry cos we should have been three or four goals in front at the time.

When Barry took the mark, I cried. Again. By this time the boy was arcing up in his cot but I couldn't give a toss. I was in a worse state than him when I picked him up and fed him.

You know how you can remember where you were at significant points in your life? (For me, for eg, when I heard John Lennon was dead.) Well, I can still remember the physical position I was in, when the siren blew, listening to the replay radio broadcast 24 hours after the game had been decided.

Pathetic? Prolly.

I shudder to think what I would've done had Seaby had marked the thing, goaled and we had've lost.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

Living in 2005

Re: Re: Re: Two months plus and counting...

I shudder to think what I would've done had Seaby had marked the thing, goaled and we had've lost. [/B]
    Kick would have been after the siren too....has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history? I know Collingwood lost a few at the death after being home but I can't remember if they were ever beaten after the siren.

I can't even handle the thought lol

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an after-the-siren GF win. I doubt very much that it has ever happened.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Re: Two months plus and counting...

Likewise. Going to the function at the Rising Sun in South Melbourne about a month ago, made it more 'real', but every now and then I sit back and say 'we actually one a flag'
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Re: Re: Re: Re: Two months plus and counting...

Originally posted by Damien
    Kick would have been after the siren too....has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history?
    Not that I can recall.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm not over it yet either and why should we be? The diningroom table still has all the newspapers on it and I still go in and re-read a few, the posters have been laminated, we have that mark in two separate photos from The Age and The Hun, just grabbed and just after which we will frame and hang in a prominent place, I gloat over the replica cup, I wear my cap out in the sun, I contemplate the red and white wines - and it's still sinking in that we are the Premiership team. As people have said, it takes a lot of working through to establish the unfamiliar reality. And I'm more than happy to do it!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Two months plus and counting...

Originally posted by Damien
    has there been a kick after siren GF win in recent history?
    There has never been one IIRC.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Shaun Hart came and spoke at our school today(and was very good...seems like a top bloke) and he was talking about being in a premiership side.

I was smugly grinning to myself over at the side thinking about our premiership. I was all set to ask questions such as,"What did you think of Leo's mark?" or "Do you think the Swans play ugly football?" but I didn't get a chance as the kids kept asking all these sensible questions. Some people are so selfish,why don't they think of me for a change?
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Originally posted by ScottH
    Seems not that long ago that, it was just another loss, week after week, and when they did win a few in a row, it was back to losing. Hard to get that out of your head, always waiting for the wheels to fall off. Gee they must've been bolted (no pun intended) on bloody tight this year!!
    I Still can't believe the fact that as I walked out of Telsta Dome in Round 10 after one of the worst performances I can remember, I said to myself that this club will never ever win a premiership. I was as down as I have ever been in my 20 years of club support.

But lo and behold a short 4 months later at 5.16pm 24th September the impossible dream was realised. I still do a double take every time we are referred to as the Reigning Premier.

Now and again I will look at the wallpaper on my computer at work (The dais shot of all the players) and shake my head and smile. My colleagues just look at me some times and think oh gee his reminiscing again.

I wonder when this surreal feeling will go away.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast