Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodes going to South Africa in Feb

Veteran Site Admin

Goodes going to South Africa in Feb

At least, according to this article

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/r...466991057.html

Have mixed feelings about this one. Will be a great experience for Goodes and should help to develop his leadership skills further. I guess that the club wouldn't have approved it if they didn't have belief in his ability to maintain his training regime on his own.

But if he fails to fire once the footy season starts, there will be questions asked about whether he should have been in Australia during that period, fine-tuning his fitness and working with the rest of the squad on matchplays and the like.

On the Rookie List Ryan Bomford's Avatar

Re: Goodes going to South Africa in Feb

Originally posted by liz
    At least, according to this article

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/r...466991057.html

Have mixed feelings about this one. Will be a great experience for Goodes and should help to develop his leadership skills further. I guess that the club wouldn't have approved it if they didn't have belief in his ability to maintain his training regime on his own.

But if he fails to fire once the footy season starts, there will be questions asked about whether he should have been in Australia during that period, fine-tuning his fitness and working with the rest of the squad on matchplays and the like.
    It should be OK Liz. The rest of the team should be back from Hawaii by the end of February.
    Last edited by Ryan Bomford; 18th January 2006 at 09:44 AM.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Seems bizarre timing to me! Can't be right! Maybe he's only going for a couple of days not the whole two weeks.

Regular in the Side
    i think it sounds fantastic and i applaud goodes going. i'm sure this will have been sorted out with the club and certain conditions met.
    i think having players do stuff like this is a good way of clearing the mental constipation that leads to premiership hangovers.the critical thing is that his feet return to ground once he's back.
    michael long is becoming such a great leader of people. can't be a bad thing for goodes to hang out with him for a fortnight.
    then again, i think it would be worth trying 15-16 players on field so what would i know

Seems a bit bizarre a few weeks before the season starts.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Unusual timing, but Goodes' commitment to the Aboriginal community is well known and this would be a hugely important thing for him to undertake.

I agree with Liz that the club wouldn't have given the thumbs up if they didn't believe he could do what was required to prepare for the season properly while away. Training and commitment has never been an issue for Adam anyway, now if it was Nick Davis (for example), the decision from the club might have been different...

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

I don't like it either, but I'll go along with the club decision and wait to see how he will perform when the season starts.

Waiting for the call!
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    Unusual timing, but Goodes' commitment to the Aboriginal community is well known and this would be a hugely important thing for him to undertake.

I agree with Liz that the club wouldn't have given the thumbs up if they didn't believe he could do what was required to prepare for the season properly while away. Training and commitment has never been an issue for Adam anyway, now if it was Nick Davis (for example), the decision from the club might have been different...
    ... I suppose it would depend on how easily he could find a KFC ...

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    hmm i don't like this either.

Can't we just send Ricky O'Loughlin instead?
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Suspended by the MRP
    He's a big boy now. He hasn't gone walkabout yet so I'd say it is not in his blood to slacken off. Expect another Brownlow from him this year - or awful bloody close!

Can't begrudge the fella this trip at all. Will be good for the koori kids going out with them and good for the kids they meet out there.

I've no doubt that Goodesy will come back as driven and committed as ever.

Maybe he'll learn from Longy too!
    Ar aghaidh chun bua 2007!

Originally posted by Eala ?ireann
    Can't begrudge the fella this trip at all. Will be good for the koori kids going out with them and good for the kids they meet out there.
    Yes we can.

External interests are all well and good, but there's a right time and a wrong time. February is the wrong time. I expect the players to be working their butt off to be ready for round one in February. Not chaperoning a bunch of teenagers on an overseas trip.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast