View Poll Results: Which was the better comeback Final?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1996 PF v Bombers (By a Plugger point)

8 13.56%
  • 2005 SF v Cats (The day Davis came to Savis)

48 81.36%
  • I was too young to remember.

1 1.69%
  • Jumped on the bandwagon post '96 and don't know.

2 3.39%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which was a better comeback Final?

Blog Entries

Which was a better comeback Final?

Having just read about the '96 season (in Swnasong by Paul Kelly), which was the better come back.

I vote for Essendon, as they were a very tough assignment back in '96. 2 mins 47 secs it took to go from loser to winner. A great team effort.

The Geelong game had as much intensity and excitement, but the quality of the opposition, would put this game a very close 2nd.

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.

Re: Which was a better comeback Final?

Originally posted by ScottH
    Having just read about the '96 season (in Swnasong by Paul Kelly), which was the better come back.

I vote for Essendon, as they were a very tough assignment back in '96. 2 mins 47 secs it took to go from loser to winner. A great team effort.

The Geelong game had as much intensity and excitement, but the quality of the opposition, would put this game a very close 2nd.
    I reckon Geelong, given the momentum of the game. I was at the Ess 96 game - gone up by myself - and we were never really out of it. But to be four goals down in the last quarter, when we'd only kicked three at that stage, was staggering I reckon.

They WERE both good though, I'll (Shannon) grant you.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

I reckon the Geelong semi was a better comeback as I thought we were gone when the Cats kicked the first goal in the last quarter (and I began to wonder what I was going to do with myself in Melbourne the following weekend, given I had already bought an air ticket). However, the thrill of winning the 96 PF was greater - a point kicked after the siren to put us into the GF for the first time as Sydney and for the first time in more than 50 years as SMFC; wow, it still gives me gooesbumps and brings a tear to my eye when I watch it. Shame about the following weekend.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Given the final result and the fact that we were 4 goals down I think the Geelong game was better in my eyes.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is such a tough question. I voted for Essendumb as it was the prelim.

But the Cats game for post-game euphoria, I hope, will never be replaced - I do not want to go through that again!

Originally posted by Lucky Knickers
    That is such a tough question. I voted for Essendumb as it was the prelim.

But the Cats game for post-game euphoria, I hope, will never be replaced - I do not want to go through that again!
    But you did two weeks later

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Geelong, for sure. With about 20 minutes to go we were gone, four goals down with only three goals on the scoreboard. The commentators were saying the same thing, right before Davis's first goal.

The only thing wrong with that final, it's a shame it wasn't against a side like Collingwood.

The Essendon final was pretty good as well, but we were never truly gone in that game so it wasn't as great.

Bomber fans don't seem to fret much about that final either. The 1-point loss in that preliminary final in 1996 doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as the 1-point loss to Carlton in the 1999 preliminary final.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Dunno about this one, IIRC against the Bombers we were at least 13 points down with 3-4 minutes so we still had a bit to go. Against the catters we had a fair amount of time to get that one last goal even though we left it to the last 2 seconds.

As i said, i dunno.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

I have been pondering about this topic and I couldn't separate them for drama and release of emotion so the deciding factor for me is....I hate Essendon with a passion ....so '96
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Just watched the Cats game again...still spine tingling when Nick D kicks that last one. But I didn't jump up and down screaming this time, the baby was asleep in the room right next to me
    Last edited by goswannie14; 31st January 2006 at 07:49 PM.

IMO, Geelong because of two reasons:

1. Coming back from a loss previous week at Subi. We all know how teams were playing a-week-after-Subi during the H&a season.
    2. During the game with Essendon we were favourites and I never believed we were seriously gone. If the Swans hasn't finished on top of the ladder that year I wonder if they would've managed to get to the PF.

Essendon. Purely because it was a prelim.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast