Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Umpiring Farce

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    As has been said, numbers are the real issue, but quite seriously, who wants to become part of a group of "white maggots," known not for the job they have in governing a sport that can be damned hard to adjudicate on at the best of times even with all the experience in the world behind you, but for just being the scum of the earth because they chose to blow the whistle instead of kick the goals for whatever reason?

The bull@@@@ "year of the official" was a load of garbage, designed to make it look as though they were doing something to make it better for umps, yet they achieved very little (and I'm being generous with that statement from what I've seen), but as usual, love to talk it up.

What about education? I know last year I did my L1 coaching, and although I wasn't a fan of the course myself, the best thing I got out of it was in fact the section on umpiring - explaining rules that had never been explained properly, meaning that things I'd always thought were cut and dried one way, in fact, were totally the opposite. I suddenly found myself recognising better when umpires were going to make calls, and what they were going to call on, and I'm talking at all levels of footy, not just AFL level. If they could somehow get enough people to sit through that simple hour, maybe it would suddenly make people see that umps aren't always wrong, it's just that maybe we don't always understand the rule the way it's meant to be adjudicated. So either that means the rule is wrong, or it needs to be explained better from what I can tell? And as to the "every player receives an update on the rules each year," sure they may get one, but whether they read it and understand it is a totally different gig altogether!

There's a lot wrong with the state of umpiring the whole country over, and this is just the latest example of it.

aka Mr Taxman
    I guess it is fair to say that it is disappointing that umpiring numbers have diminished over the years & it is magnified with the increase in sides throughout Sydney ... I guess it is very hard to want to take up umpiring if you are going to cop abuse. Two good mates of mine & fellow premiership players from the Goannas (Dave "Trusty" Barwick & Steve "Digger" Graves) took up umpiring in the past few years - they are as fair as you can expect from umps with great knowledge of the game (Trusty played over 350 games for the Goannas alone!) yet they didn't like the abuse hurled on them purely because they were the umps in the middle.

I think players, coaches & spectators should have a real look at themselves & realise that the reasons why they lose games include:

* dropping marks;
    * poor kicks/handpasses/disposals;
    * lack of courage & commitment & communication
    * lack of fitness (eg not training, poor diet, etc)
    * lack of discipline (high tackles, not spoiling from behind, not manning up, etc)
    * poor injury management
    * coaching errors (not tagging, bad match-ups, favouring mates at the selection table, poor tactics, poor motivation, etc)

- I could go on & on

Those may think that one or two bad umpiring decisions affect the outcome of a game but it is the 50 errors by players that are the real reasons - those that blame the umps really have no idea about footy & will always try to shift the blame with their myopic views. All I can say to them is "wake up & smell the coffee"

If clubs have to provide umps there are going to be a few bad eggs amongst the lot - I played in one park cricket comp where there were no LBWs given in a whole season across all teams yet 6 given in the grand final with a proper "penguin" - I heard that Bob Altorjay's efforts were dubious in the SWS v Goannas match but I guess it did not affect the outcome of semi-final football as those two teams didn't win too many games in 2005. I would think that the start of a new season alone should motivate your team Tara.

So how do we as the Sydney football community fix the problem with the lack of umpiring numbers? Lets try & think of a few solutions.

Well the horse may have bolted this year, but I think that retiring players should be targetted by clubs & encouraged to umpire in future years.

Perhaps it is worthwhile training them up by getting them involved with junior umpiring in their latter years.

Financial inducement does help & perhaps this needs to be communicated alot more. I bet alot of guys would p rick their ears open for a few hundred bucks for spending a bit of time away on the weekend from the missus' nagging, watch a bit of footy & get a bit of fitness in as well.

Give clubs more points for recruiting umpires in the "Club of the Year" award.

Conversely, "fine" clubs that have players, coaches & spectators bag umpires in the "Club of the Year" award.

I am sure there are a number of solutions that we can come up with & not many of them need to involve the NSWAFL ... it is up to us to make the competition alot better with a bit of effort, a bit of thought & a bit of communication.

I reckon each club could easily recruit an umpire to the ranks between now & April 8 ... the challenge is there guys ... or you can continue to whinge & whine instead which can be alot easier for some people.
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Buddy
    Originally posted by Rafters

I am sure there are a number of solutions that we can come up with & not many of them need to involve the NSWAFL ... it is up to us to make the competition alot better with a bit of effort, a bit of thought & a bit of communication.

Rafters are you kidding?

The AFL is a multi million if not billion dollar industry. There charter is to administer, organise and oversee football nationally. They have emploees who are paid to do that.

Surely the responsibility for supplying umpires is not that of the clubs or supporters but falls wholey soley and squarely on the NSWAFL.

This is just another example of the lack of foresight and extreme incompetence of the group of jackasses that are and have been the NSW AFL for the last decade.

At some stage they have to take responsibility for something or do something to justify the money they are earning.

On the Rookie List
    I have been reading this thread with interest, and would like to add that I think one point that has not been made is about sheduling. I know we tend to blame the league for everything, but, given the small number of umps in Sydney, changing premier league games to saturdays signed the death warrant for any chance of umpires being available for Div 1. Many guys used to ump Div 1 on a Sat. and then do Prem. Lg on Sundays.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by wheels27
    I have been reading this thread with interest, and would like to add that I think one point that has not been made is about sheduling. I know we tend to blame the league for everything, but, given the small number of umps in Sydney, changing premier league games to saturdays signed the death warrant for any chance of umpires being available for Div 1. Many guys used to ump Div 1 on a Sat. and then do Prem. Lg on Sundays.
    Wheels I appreciate what you are saying and also appreciate the job that most of the umps do. Unfortunately the AFL doesnt do enough to ensure things are done properly. How many times last year did we end up having TBone umpire ressies and end up with 3 senior umpires in firsts? Surely one of the could have overseen ressies. Do you also recall our trial against UNSW/ES last preseason? It looked like an umpires convention.

On the Rookie List
    Spot on Colesy, just very poor management of resources.

The other thing that gets me too is that I don't really recall more than a handful of times in the last ten years I have seen a player really get ridiculously out of hand at an umpire (think McNab v Campbelltown), nor do I recall a regular umpire walking away from the game (same faces every year), so the argument of no-one wanting to receive abuse which we hear constantly seems a bit overplayed. In our games we are usually so appreciative of getting an ump to turn up, that he is in most danger of dislocating a shoulder from all the handshaking he receives after a game. Granted it's a tough job, but any new recruits (if there have been many) would surely not be put off if they spoke to the older guys. I get a feeling the league is so dismissive of our level, that then filters through the umpires ranks, and if they're not doing Premier firsts they are thought of as second class umps. More the attitude received from within than from the clubs seems an issue.

Umpiring

Greetings all from a first time user and reader.

Having played a few games of footy, got to a point where I was too old and then with Craig Davis' (is davo still around??) encouragment gave umpiring a go, found that umpiring can be fun if you treat the players with respect and explain your decisions, right or wrong.

Whilst I have come to the conclusion that umpires are different (which generally they are), they are treated as second class citizens with poor facilities, little or no respect and get abused for the fun of it, all for $70+ doing a SFA game.

What is the answer?

How many guys are turned over in Sydney footy per year?

Guessing 10 per club at minimum will come in at around 200 players lost to football each year. Instead of the League looking to recruit at the start of the year, the AFL could be recruiting during the season when players who may not be getting a run or getting a bit long in the tooth could plan for the next year. Or maybe even have an intake mid season?

Having just moved to a footy state in WA, and got involved in a Senior Club that had 93 at training tonight, and a Junior Club with 3 Under 14 teams, am I looking forward to this year or what!

Good Luck to all in Sydney footy.

Re: Umpiring

Originally posted by Trusty

Having played a few games of footy
    Please Trusty,your modesty is astonishing.Hows things over there and what club are you with?From your sparring partner Pekay.

Senior Player

Re: Umpiring

Originally posted by Trusty
    Greetings all from a first time user and reader.

Having played a few games of footy, got to a point where I was too old and then with Craig Davis' (is davo still around??) encouragment gave umpiring a go, found that umpiring can be fun if you treat the players with respect and explain your decisions, right or wrong.

Thats all we have ever asked for as players Trusty, its when you have those umpires that think they have no need to explain themselves that things really heat up.

Your idea to keep those former players involved in the game after retiring has merit, however unless the AFL doesnt mind me umpiring South Wests games it wont happen with me. My reasoning is because I would still want to be able to give something back to my club after finishing with playing. You yourself know how hard it is to keep past players involved in the administration of footy clubs.

Umpiring farce

Hey boys,

Good to hear from a couple of SFA stalwarts.

Tara, you have struck on the biggest challenge in Sydney footy at Club level. How do we keep players involved after they hang their boots up?

It is a cultural thing which has been around as long as I remember.

Whether it relates to the influence of Sydney women who don't understand that a committment to a footy club should be lifelong, and when you pull the plug from playing, it's time to spend time with the family and forget your mates and helping out, I'm not sure (and apologies to any Sydney women who may disagree).

One thing I do know is that football club success is a cyclical process (whatever goes up must come down etc)-and with passionate and committed people like you and all others who give a damn enough to have their say, your clubs will rise.

PK I got roped into be a Team manager for Sorrento-Duncraig Under 14's and have got the ''whatever job you want to do offer'' at North Beach, a very successful WAAFL club (Amateur League where no-one is supposed to get paid.........) which is coached by former Essendon hard man, premiership player and Norm Smith medallist Billy Duckworth. Still keen to have a run and North Beach have 5 senior teams and a colts (Under 20's) and apparently the 5ths run short occasionally.

Thriving old boys comp here too with one club I have had a run with having 65 at training last Wed.

Senior Player
    Trusty there are plenty of people out there who would like to be involved but our game is poorly promoted in NSW.

This year I approached a few people on the Talking Carlton forum to see if any were interested in being involved in local footy up here. Deano who occasionally posts on this site as well and his wife have become involved in the club in non playing capacity. Ive also attacted a photographer who is keen to attend some games and provide photos which we can in turn use on our website. We have also picked up one newcomer to Sydney whose keen to play (6ft 1 FF - a few years out of the game and not fit but only 26). Also my lovely wife is keen to help out on weekend when we dont have here daughter.

Ive only used to Carlton and Bigfooty sites discretely and attracted a few so given there are 15 other sides out there im sure there are plenty who are keen to be involved but just dont know where to start.

Great to hear about the team your with and the numbers involved. Teddy Fenton has told me things are similar down at his new club down in Ecucha- Moana.

At least with us we know there are juniors on the horizon in a few years so hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Senior Player

Re: Re: Umpiring

Originally posted by Woodsy
    Having played a few games of footy, got to a point where I was too old and then with Craig Davis' (is davo still around??)

Yes Davo is still around and having done an absolutely appalling job in mismanaging the NSWAFL is now turing his oversized ego and administrative incompetence to the umpiring ranks.

Respect his son for turning his career around but the sooner this muppet has nothing to do with the running of our great game in NSW the better as far as I am concerned.
    Who the @@@@ are you Woodsy? Ive played well over 200 games in the SFA(hence refering to its old reference) and had the pleasure (if you can say that about umpires) of Craigs presence.
    He has always umpired fairly and generally explained his decisions to the satisfaction (or at least understanding) of most.

I cannot stomach umpires who think they are above reproach but Mr Davis isn't one of those in my experience.

Also im not a Collingwood supporter jumping to his defense, I support (to my death) Carlton, so if I wished the opportunity to slag a Filth great for my own satifaction I would.

Craig is one of the few who have given back to the game (as Trusty wished all in future would) and should be given some respect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast