Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Fixter - was he given enough chance?

On the Rookie List
    Nah glad hes gone, too many injuries a wasted spot on the list just like what doyle is at the moment

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nah....he doesn't look all that flash IMO - bit slow/poor disposal - is a Matthews clone and is only being groomed as a tagger anyway!

Nothing special - just an okay player.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    I expect Nick Davis was told that it was Paul's way or the Kingsway (is that a road in the Shire, that's the joke I was trying to make but don't really know my way around that neck of the woods).
    You got it in one... the main road through Cronulla! Good job!

Not at all. I support the club. I think Roos is a tremendous coach and I think that what he did with the 2005 list is nothing short of remarkable. I also think that he has influenced football more than any other person has in the time that I have been following football seriously enough to have some idea of what is going on.

That said, I do not think that he is beyond criticism. I think that part of what makes Roos the success that he has become is a streak of ruthlessness and a single-mindedness (and dare I say it - arrogance). These are the qualities of many successful people. I have no doubt that if Roos did not have faith in a player they would be let know it and be let know that it was probably in their best interests to look elsewhere - LRT has shown us that Roos is not wont to change his mind and is reluctant to let go once he has an idea that he thinks is right (again, qualities of successful people, no question).

There seems to be a collective view on RWO that Roos is all things to all players. On a list of 40 or so I think that that is far fetched. There will be players that do not get along with him, and do not reach their potential under his style of leadership. I suspect that Fixter may have been one, and have suggested elsewhere that Schaubs may have been in the same boat. I will be interested to see if Sean Dempster finds his way back into the side. I expect Nick Davis was told that it was Paul's way or the Kingsway (is that a road in the Shire, that's the joke I was trying to make but don't really know my way around that neck of the woods). Again, such an attitude obviously breeds success in a football club, and I don't know how useful it would be to try and be all things to all players anyway. The "no @@@@@head rule" is also a no misfits rule and a "no other way than the coaching staff's way".

I am not saying that I know that Fixter did not fit in and was shafted because of that, or Schaubs for that matter. I am saying that when someone says "he wanted to go - why would we want to keep him" that that question does not go far enough. "Why did he want to go" is the question and quite possibly the answer is because he knew that he had no future at the club. And how did he know, because quite possibly Roos had no faith in him.

I have been critical of Roos in the past and will continue to be. I think that he was a great player and has, in a very short time, proved himself to be an exceptional coach. However, I do not think that he is perfect and beyond criticism. I do not think it is fair to blame any difference of opinion between coach and player on the player. Not fair on the player and not fair on Roos. I think that he gets the most out of some players, but does not out of others. I think he is determined and prepared to be ruthless. It seems, no I really think it has been shown, that this brings results. I also think it comes at a cost and some of football's character is lost along the way - players become to an extent personality deprived clones, individual brilliance is toned down (working class, no superstars etc) the game becomes more machine like, more predictable, more deliberate, more professional, less fun, less spectacular. It is my opinion and others are welcome to theirs.

As I said I support the club. Just as I like some players more than others I like some players more than the coach and some officials more than some of the players. I wish no misfortune on others and just because I am prepared to be critical of Roos does not mean that i want him to be a failure or struggle when the Swans succeed. Life (and football) is not all Black and... not all Red and White Cruiser, it has many shades of Pink. I thought you, of all people, would know that (and I do mean that with the best of humour)
    OK.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Sorry, I'm joking with my flippancy. I appreciate what you are saying (and the trouble you went to with your reply ) and I actually agree with much of what you have said. You also provided a balanced view of Roos as a coach and that's something often missing from your shorter snipes at him.

My views about what I perceive to have been Schauble's poor treatment last year are well known on RWO and it was one thing that really pissed me off with Roos last year, right up until GF day. However, he was the person who finally coached us to a premiership and while I totally accept that it does not grant him messiah status and beyond criticism, and yes, his responses to the media are getting somewhat pedictable and uninformative, I trsut him to get on with the job, turn this team around (tonight please) and take them into another finals series.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.

Why?
    for getting it off your chest. that is the longest post you have done on RWO.
    An instrument with only 9 notes! Surely it's easy to play? www.coastalscottish.com
    Enjoy the Coastals Experience!

All clubs & players get to a stage where it is best for both club & player that they part company.

In the case of Fixter & Sydney it was that point in time.

I am sure that Fixter would have been frustrated that he couldn't get out on the park and that the Sydney were not able to get him on the park. Just the same as Syndey would have been frustrated that Ben couldn't get himself on the field.

After all, we not have Barry Hall in Sydney if the relationship between him & St Kilda was working.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Piobaireachd
    that is the longest post you have done on RWO.
    Nah, you just turned up after I got tired and cranky.

Originally posted by cruiser
    I trsut him to get on with the job, turn this team around (tonight please) and take them into another finals series.
    Here we come!!!
    Occupational hazards:

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by cruiser
    Here we come!!!
    Walkin' down the street.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Here we come
    Originally posted by ScottH
    Walkin' down the street.
    We get the funniest looks from . . . .
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast