Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFL hands out more cash to poor Melb clubs

Originally posted by prenda
    there situation is dyer.
    Jack.
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

I think it's a bit rude for Sydney supporters complainng about other AFL clubs being helped, given our history, and especially ho we have been taken care of since the move to Sydney.

Once we won a flag, (and especially after Brisbanes trilogy) I would expect the spotlight to be well and truely off the 'rugby cities' for a while.

It's now up to the clubs to make the most of their success.

But the same has to be said for Vic based clubs.

Do the AFL have imput into the board members to make sure they are capable of running a profitable team?

In the end, still the most likely result will be a relocation.
    I find it hard to see the public allowing any club to disintegrate these days and the AFL will prop up a dead club with options of relocations to expeand the Australia league in the ay that they want.

Along the way the will have to be seen to not want this, even though it has to be their long term plan.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by CureTheSane
    I think it's a bit rude for Sydney supporters complainng about other AFL clubs being helped, given our history, and especially ho we have been taken care of since the move to Sydney.
    Come on CTS, I haven't done the sums but given all the business about the licence fee and paying back loans from the AFL I'm willing to bet that the nett amount "taken care of" has been in the negative since the move to Sydney.

We've been started to being helped again since the AFL has started to bankroll our COL allowance but is still a fair way behind the Dog's et al and a long way behind the $1mill + for each club for these facilities.

Everything about the Roos indicates they don't have a future in Melbourne.

The size of the crowd that turned up to last year's final was embarassing - there's no other way to describe it.

Because they have no money they can't match other clubs in spending on players, recruitment, coaching, facilities etc.

They are dying a slow death in Melbourne. They should move to the Gold Coast before its too late.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

On the Rookie List
    It's all well and good for us supporters of finacially viable clubs to say 'who cares, it's their own fault' but who would our teams play against without them?

There is so much money tied up in the game, it is more than enough to support 16 teams (located anywhere), just because greater portions of it come as a result of certain clubs, who cares.
    I hear not what you say, for the thunder of who you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12