Thread: Eddie Interested In Wests?

Eddie Interested In Wests?

I have heard a wisper that Collingwood is interested in becoming involved with Wests. With the Collingwood president now living in Sydney apparently he is keen on aligning his team with a local sydney team and Wests is an obvious choice.

Can anyway shed any light on this topic?

On the Rookie List

Re: Eddie Interested In Wests?

Originally posted by Roo
    I have heard a wisper that Collingwood is interested in becoming involved with Wests. With the Collingwood president now living in Sydney apparently he is keen on aligning his team with a local sydney team and Wests is an obvious choice.

Can anyway shed any light on this topic?
    All i can say is it was tried about 4-5 years ago and the only way that Collingwood would have a bar of it was if the West's committie stood down. It didnt happen then and i cant see it happening now.
    Carn' The Crows

Regular in the Side
    I dont know any details at all except to say Collingwood have apparently shown interest at West and an alliance of some description has been/is being formed. A meeting occurred on ANZAC today 2006 and Wests may play with a different strip next year. My information is scant and unsubstantiated though.

Senior Player
    the jumpers are an interesting combination

aka Mr Taxman
    UTS invited him down to a game or two I understand earlier tis year as he is in the neighbourhood. Well done to UTS for having a go ... I hope they get something for their efforts.
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Senior Player
    Pubes your right although from memory West lack of Juniors was a concern thus leading to them having more interest in us. Maybe West could show some foresight and formally approach South West and form a real alliance whereas they could offer up two senior clubs and a strong Junior base.

Worse things could be done.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by tara
    Pubes your right although from memory West lack of Juniors was a concern thus leading to them having more interest in us. Maybe West could show some foresight and formally approach South West and form a real alliance whereas they could offer up two senior clubs and a strong Junior base.
    tara, not sure where you get the idea that Wests have no juniors. Wests (along with Balmain but less so with Easts given their lack of U18's) are sitting on the biggest growth in junior football in Sydney with the Sydney City juniors doubling in numbers in the last 3 years (not just Auskick but 10's to 16's as well). They have always had a close assocation with the junior club playing out of Croydon Park, whose U16's are currently sitting equal top of the Sydney North ladder (against the likes of Penno, Baulko, etc. http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/nf/t...iors%20-%20U16 ) and have built good links with Bankstown Sports in recent years, I could go on.

The main issue with Collingwood has been that their focus has been west of Homebush as evidenced by their pre-season visits of the last few years, and their view that they see more potential for growth for Collingwood in that area. That hasn't really fitted with a partnership with an inner city club.

On your last point it was only a few years ago that Wests championed a set of partnerships between Premier & 1st Div. clubs across the league. As I understand it they were only keen if it was common across the league. Unfortunately like a lot of initiatives in Sydney Football it went nowhere.