Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henson Park

On the Rookie List

Erskineville Oval

Erskineville Oval was built specifically for Aussie Rules.

The current Erskineville Oval was built in 1939 when it replaced a ground of the same name which was located slightly west where the pubic housing flats are. James Phelan after whom the medal is named was the person behind the new ground being built.

The ground had a 10 foot high timber fence all the way round.

In latter years, parking during finals was allowed in the small park opposite.

The negatives are parking, rugby league now has a mortgage on it, balls got kicked into the street quite often (and then stolen), public access etc.

The last time it was used, many cars were broken into by the local scumbags.

It has hosted many grand finals and interstate games with the original Erskineville Oval (mentioned earlier) also a venue for games since about 1909.

The lease of the ground was lost when the Newtown Club went out of action in the mid eighties. I understand an effort was made to retain it, the league even wanted to revamp the grandstand and move their offices there and then tried to get SUni to move there but nothing came of it.

I think the umpires trained there during the seventies.

Almost Football Legend
    Originally posted by Steiger
    Why isn't North Sydney oval used anymore? Even by North Shore for regular home and away games?
    I suspect it's to do with money, or the lack of it. The ground costs a fortune plus the council gets the canteen, not the home club.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by shearer
    Best alternative is Erskinville Oval:

* Fantastic surface
    * The right size for our game.
    * Neutral
    * Pretty central to everything

The Showground is way to small for Senior football.
    What about Rosedale ??????????
    Carn' The Crows

Senior Player
    That would be common sence Pubes. Not place for that in the NSW AFL administration.

Regular in the Side
    Balmain, UNSW, UniSyd, Wests, St George and Norths are all within close proximity the CBD. When 60% of the teams are so close going too far out is a financial nightmare. Finals series at Campbelltown proved this. Why would Rosedale be any different?

Henson has a lot of positives which outweigh the negatives. Positives: night games, good amendities, stand, enclosed, tall posts, good for television, close proximity, good drainage
    Negatives: sloped ground, sandy middle.

Rosedale
    Postives: good size ground, enclosed, good drainage, minimal undercover.
    Negatives: pitch in middle, low posts, no stand, no elevated viewing, amendities average, not close to many clubs.

How does it stack up with you guys?????

Senior Player
    Coastal Boy I think youll find we are having a bit of a joke with Rosedale becuase of some of your reasons. The parking is very limited although that could be overcome quite easily with some assistance from the council. Your point about not enough under cover area is valid although you reference to viewing points isnt. Viewing wouldnt be an issue quite simply becuase the crowds at present wouldnt push its capabilities at all. Facilities there are excellent for players and officials however there are not enough toilet facilities on hand. The surface is by far the best in going around in Sydney even with a turf pitch in the centre.

I tend to agree with Woodsy however. Mac Uni would be able to cater better than any. Very central, heaps of parking, lots of toilets etc, surrounding fields for warm ups, bar, and provides the best vantage points around for viewing the game.

Have to disagree on the surface though - its good to very good but not excellent, too many pot holes and the need to fill union/league post holes with sand prior to games is a concern.

On the Rookie List
    the option of macquarie uni i believe isnt a very good option...i personally think there a better sized ovals in sydney
    and in terms of providing some sort of atmosphere that grounds lacks it.
    Also on the side of supporters there about 1km away from the action.
    Come On Boys Make A Noise...

Senior Player
    Originally posted by YoungKanga
    the option of macquarie uni i believe isnt a very good option...i personally think there a better sized ovals in sydney
    and in terms of providing some sort of atmosphere that grounds lacks it.
    Also on the side of supporters there about 1km away from the action.
    Better sized? In what way? The gound promotes open and free flowing footy because of its size. Too many grounds in Sydney are too too small.

As far as supporters being too far away from the action it didnt seem to worry the AFL when the Swan played Essendon there a few years back.

On the Rookie List
    theres a large difference between the crowd that shows up for a swans and essendon game and a sydney gf.....

Being a kangaroo...im guess i can say im a bit bias in sayin that monarch is a good ground for promoting the free running game...but its definitly a good location for finals football.....especially as it can cope with alot of footy being played on it....
    i.e during the wet period of the season....4 games in 2 days

On the Rookie List
    Woodsy im not havin a go at you by sayin this......but for you north siders...it takes at max 50 minutes......just a matter of crusin down the m5.

I dont think thats a significantly large journey...to a premier football ground.

On another point i agree with u about the stadium,,,,,,adding on top of that the ability to allow cars to park around the ground..is a advantage......eg i had to park a mile away from henson.

Some1 said monarch has no atmosphere.....every 1st grade game at monarch u hear around half the ctown reserves yelling their lungs out after a few beers.....i can just imagine a stadium full of die hard supporters from any team in the sydney afl adding to that....now i cant see ur point.

As a player (IMO) Monarch has no atmosphere - either does Macquarie Uni for that matter.

None of the grounds in Sydney are perfect for hosting footy but some are better than others. Henson's definately not the worst.

Regular in the Side
    Originally posted by YoungKanga
    Woodsy im not havin a go at you by sayin this......but for you north siders...it takes at max 50 minutes......just a matter of crusin down the m5.

I dont think thats a significantly large journey...to a premier football ground.

On another point i agree with u about the stadium,,,,,,adding on top of that the ability to allow cars to park around the ground..is a advantage......eg i had to park a mile away from henson.

Some1 said monarch has no atmosphere.....every 1st grade game at monarch u hear around half the ctown reserves yelling their lungs out after a few beers.....i can just imagine a stadium full of die hard supporters from any team in the sydney afl adding to that....now i cant see ur point.
    YK, your opinion is respected but the fact is that is finals at Monarch are a financial disaster. I am not privy to details but everyone tells me so. The other points may be valid but inconsequential. Not my opinion, just fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast