Thread: R.I.P. Bob Rose

On the Rookie List

R.I.P. Bob Rose

I realise this is our Swans board, but I feel the passing of Rose is akin to us losing someone like Bob Skilton. This is the old South Melbourne coming out of me. So I just would like to offer condolences for his family. He lost grand finals with humility and dignity and was a great example to the football community.
    LIFE GOES ON

omnipotent
    And Vin Waite a former player and father of a current player died the other day as well.

My sympathys to the Rose family.

If anyone gets a chance to read the book about Bobs son Robert do so. Robert played senior footy and was a state cricketer but become a quadraplegic in a car accident when he was only 22. The book is about how the family cared for him and it is easily the saddest book ive ever read.

While Bob will be largely remembered for his contribution to football, the contribution he made to his family was extroadinary.

On the Rookie List
    Bob Rose was a champion footballer and a thorough gentleman. Like Bob Skilton he was a very fair player but hard at the ball and extremely skilful. He played at a time when many players thought the thing to do was to punch or elbow an opponent silly if they got the chance. Bob Rose was not such a player.

Bob was an ornament to the game and to the human race. I will miss knowing he is around.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by omnipotent
    And Vin Waite a former player and father of a current player died the other day as well.
    With no disrespect intended to the great Bob Rose, or his bereaved family, I personally felt the tragedy of Vin Waite's death held more emotional significance (for me anyway).

Anyone and everyone who loved Bob (aged 74) knew what he was going through and got to say goodbye. Vin (aged 58) died suddenly of a heart attack, no warnings. I was especially moved to see his boy play on and receive the reverence from fellow and opposition team-mates.

When footy greats die, it always seems to move us a little further away from our living heritage, no matter what the age or circumstance. I can't imagine what the outpourings will be like when its Skilton, Dyer or Richards.

The only footy player I didn't feel for was Darren Millane (here it comes). When he died he was off his face on grog and speed (according to the Coroner's toxicology report) after a hard night of action on the town. No wonder he ended up driving his car underneath a truck.