Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reserves competition to be re-established?

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Originally posted by hammo
    As Liz mentioned earlier, I don't think we are necessarily at a current disadvantage to other teams.

Our reserves players all play for the "Swans" - admittedly in a weak competition - but benefit from having the same coaching staff, teammates and game plan every week.

To use an example, Vogels has been tried in attack and defence. In the VFL, he would probably be used solely as a forward, thus limiting his overall development. Likewise when players return from injury, we have greater control over where and how much they play.

Victorian clubs are always at loggerheads over their youngsters & reserves players being played out of position in VFL teams.

To use your argument (which according to your summation must be as rational as mine is irrational) Melbourne teams would have won more flags in recent years as the VFL competition is stronger.

It simply doesn't follow that stronger reserves competitions lead to stronger seniors teams.
    I don't see how having our reserves playing in a weaker comp can be of benefit to them in anyway shape or form.

Originally posted by reigning premier
    I don't see how having our reserves playing in a weaker comp can be of benefit to them in anyway shape or form.
    It certainly creates a "winning culture".

Blog Entries
    AFL Canberra getting worried
    AFL Canberra general manager David Wark said he wanted to retain the Sydney reserves in the ACT-based competition.

"The Swans have been a fantastic addition to our league and we are keen to retain them for as long as possible," Wark said.

"The quality of football they bring to the competition is fantastic and the support for local junior football as well."

Originally posted by Sanecow
    It certainly creates a "winning culture".
    I see that and the fact that the Swans reserves players are all together in one team as the two advantages in the current system.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Originally posted by ScottH
    AFL Canberra getting worried
    They're chronically lacking in teams. Weston Creek need a bit of a hand to merely put a team on the oval each week, the Wagga Tigers are constantly threatening to go back home... and now the Swans 2nds. The spectre of a 5-team Canberra comp wouldn't be making Warky too happy.

My 2 cents' worth is: it's easy to point to any number of players who've made the transition to AFL smoothly since we've been in Canberra; and difficult to make the case that things were better with debutants making the grade when we were still with Port Melbourne. For a youngster, intensity of your training is as important as the intensity of your matches; plus you just cannot overstress the importance of playing as a team, to a team plan, under the direction of the club's coaching staff.

And the AFL Canberra comp isn't that bad, anyway. Without having watched both at any length, I'd reckon it would probably roughly equal VFL reserves level. Which is where almost half of the non-firsts-players with Victorian AFL teams, play.

Originally posted by SimonH

And the AFL Canberra comp isn't that bad, anyway. Without having watched both at any length, I'd reckon it would probably roughly equal VFL reserves level. Which is where almost half of the non-firsts-players with Victorian AFL teams, play.
    According to this thread where I asked the question, the Ovens and Murray is better than the ACTFL. I don't know how much weight Stella's opinion means though.

source
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123