Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win or lose, will Lloyd and Lucas tear us a new one?

Win or lose, will Lloyd and Lucas tear us a new one?

This pair seems to have a decent record against us, and for some reason, Essendon always have their kicking boots on when they play Sydney, atleast in recent times. I remember two games that were played not so long ago, where they got off to starts of 10.1 and 10.0 or something like that, had me chucking what i like to call a 'manly tantrum'.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who's scared whenever Lloyd lines up on Leo, either. Each time the ball is delivered into the Bomber's forward 50, i can't help visualizing Matty taking a big, strong grab, on the lead. Then, it usually comes true.

On the Rookie List
    Recruiting in KL - for the next Adam Goodes
    Either the strong grab, or diver dan goes down as leaping leo breathes on him, the whistle blows, and leaping does what he does best in such situations: look guilty.

How about superted on diver and B2 on lucas. Let leo run free?
    Looking out for good omens which can bring the Swans the 2007 premiership

My kids had chicken pox and they were all red and white, that's one

Quote Originally Posted by S.U.D View Post
    Either the strong grab, or diver dan goes down as leaping leo breathes on him, the whistle blows, and leaping does what he does best in such situations: look guilty.

How about superted on diver and B2 on lucas. Let leo run free?
    Get's my vote.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Blog Entries
    Where's LRT when you need an Extra Bigman down back?

Lloyd is the one who likes to tear us a new one. Although his form this year has been good , not great. 14 touches/3.5 goals per game.

Lucas has been the one to watch out of the two. 17touches/4goals per game.

And Hird has been in good form as well.

The three of them will be a big ask to handle. The key will be to reduce/stifle the supply. ie pressure the midfield.
    Last edited by ScottH; 29th May 2007 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    ...snip...The key will be to reduce/stifle the supply. ie pressure the midfield.
    My thoughts exactly. If we start slow in first quarter we'll be carved up by those guys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If we start slow in first quarter we'll be carved up by those guys.
    Deja vu???

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Deja vu???
    Again
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Luckily Leo's been running into some form, but this is the classic case of our backline coming up against a big forward line. We always struggle.

I suspect Goodes will play a big role this week, either running with Hird or perhaps lining up on Lucus.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Lucas is the danger.. Though I hope he kicks 8 goals and Lloyd none as he's in my dream team...

But seriously, I think we should be looking to the likes of Dempster to take on Lucas. We need someone with a bit of speed to keep on him when he bursts fwd on the lead.

As for Lloyd, well doesn't really matter. He'll get 5 frees in front of goal. It's just a matter of how many he kicks.

Regular in the Side
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bombers have an extraordinary record of accurate goal kicking against Sydney. Here's some telling stats:

Round 19 1993 Full Time: they kicked 18-9
    Round 18 1999 Full Time: they kicked 15-3
    Round 11 2003 Full Time: they kicked 12-7
    Round 7 2005 Half Time: they'd kicked 10-1 (14-4 at Full time)
    Round 19 2005 Half Time: they'd again kicked 10-1
    Round 1 2006 Quarter Time: they'd kicked 9-1 (17-6 at Full Time)

Regular in the Side
    Scary stats. But the one that counts is they have only beaten us once in the last five attempts (and Round 1 counts as the pre-season!).

I like the idea of Dempster on Lucas - smaller players seem to have done ok on him this year. B2 on Lloyd. Maybe Kennelly on Hird just to see if the old man has the legs any more....

I think Hird is too smart to be on Kennelly, and I think Sheedy is too smart to leave Hird on Kennelly. In other words, Kennelly is not a tight defensive player and I think Hird would find too much space and be too damaging. In return, I doubt if Hird could do a stopping job on Kennelly's run from the backline, hence someone else would mind Kennelly.

Dempster on Lucas is interesting. Dempster is pretty tall, but doesn't play that way (like Kennelly). I would worry about marking contests.

I'd prefer to see C Bolton on Lloyd than Barry. Maybe Barry on Lucas.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast