Thread: URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT - Matches Postponed, Cancelled

Almost Football Legend

URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT - Matches Postponed, Cancelled

Due to wet weather and ground closures, matches have been postponed and cancelled as follows:

Premier Division Seniors & Reserves - Postponed. The split round in a few weeks is off, with matches to be played over both weekends. Check the fixture section of the Sydney AFL website or on here when the revised fixture details come to hand.
    Under 18s Premier & Challenge Cups - Postponed. Will be played during the split round.
    First Division Seniors - Will go ahead to revised draw. Details are on the game day thread, or check Sydney AFL website.
    First Division Reserves & Second Division - Cancelled. Will not be rescheduled.

Please spread the word to everyone in Sydney football.
    Last edited by Norris Lurker; 15th June 2007 at 03:54 PM.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Almost Football Legend
    Update - First Division Seniors are now cancelled as well. So no games any any division this weekend.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    What an absolute @@@@ing disgrace.
    Councils in Sydney should be @@@@ing ashamed of themselves.
    The @@@@wits that run these @@@@ing councils and think they know anything about @@@@ing sport need to @@@@ off and get some @@@@ing sensible people involved.
    Football is a @@@@ing winter sport. You play in the @@@@ing rain. Get the @@@@ing picture?
    There are no, I repeat, NO excuses for cancelling any game of football at any stage.
    Except maybe if the ground is under two foot of water.
    Fair dinkum, this city needs to take a good hard @@@@ing look at itself.
    No wonder we are the laughing stock of Australia, especially when many of these councils give us @@@@@@ up facilities to play on in the first place.
    If this rule were in place in Melbourne, or Tassie, there'd never be a game.
    It's a bit of water and maybe a bit of mud. Big @@@@ing deal!
    Wipe this post if you like Norris, but let it be known I stand by every word I've just said.
    Last edited by BeeEmmAre; 15th June 2007 at 06:10 PM.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Almost Football Legend
    I won't be wiping it BeeEmmAre. I agree with every word you've written.

With the torrential rain last weekend and the floods etc to the north I could understand if games had been cancelled then. But the rain the last couple of days has been as light as piss. The only reason that could have made any ground unplayable is if it hasn't been maintained properly in the first place.

Share your pain BeeEmmRee. I'm sure heaps of people on this site are from footy states originally. It used to get my hackles up in the early days of living in Sydney. As the years go by you get used to it and rightly or wrongly just roll with it. Good news is, weather permitting the round will be replayed in Premier league. Looks like 1st & 2nd Div miss out unfortunately.

Senior Player
    I have a few blokes who have played at a pretty high level interstate and one young bloke from WA who you are lucky to get two words from normally went off his head. Unfortunately the AFL has their hands tied with this one - @@@@ing Americanisation of our society has people running scared of litagation - not to mention those @@@@@ on the councils actually worrying about having to spend some money out of the tax coffers for once on upkeep during the@@@@ing winter.

Liverpool council should have a look at Rosedale - desite their best efforts to really @@@@ things up it still looks a treat and is draining beautifully.

And forget rescheduling for the split round as this would be a further mishap as many players and officials Im sure have made prior arrangements.

So to the powers that be, it would be ironic to pursue the importance of this round considering it wasnt played with a bit of water on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I have a few blokes who have played at a pretty high level interstate and one young bloke from WA who you are lucky to get two words from normally went off his head. Unfortunately the AFL has their hands tied with this one - @@@@ing Americanisation of our society has people running scared of litagation - not to mention those @@@@@ on the councils actually worrying about having to spend some money out of the tax coffers for once on upkeep during the@@@@ing winter.

Liverpool council should have a look at Rosedale - desite their best efforts to really @@@@ things up it still looks a treat and is draining beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr PHD View Post
    And forget rescheduling for the split round as this would be a further mishap as many players and officials Im sure have made prior arrangements.

So to the powers that be, it would be ironic to pursue the importance of this round considering it wasnt played with a bit of water on the ground.
    Couldn't agree more. Whether its the councils or Sydney AFL who have the last say on the grounds or both, it shows how incompetently run the Sydney AFL comp really is. Then of course theres the tribunal.

They pray for all this rain because most grounds were harder than concrete, then we get rain (with which most grounds with decent drainage would handle) and games are abandoned. What an absolute joke.

I can't remember who posted the photo on here of the Black Diamond Footy League GF from last year. It was played in water shin-deep. Yet grounds are too wet to play footy here? Just as well Sydney didn't experience flooding like they did up north this week. Probably no more footy for the rest of the year I would imagine if that happened...

On the Rookie List

Thumbs down

i find it funny that every one is on here swearing their heads off....
    cant change it now..
    but the frustrating thing about all of this is that there is a ground that our firsts could play the entire round at just like we did last year by transferring the games out here to monarch....... and as people are saying that if round is not caught up throws the whole fixture into caos with st george and east coast only playing each other once......
    this is where common sense comes into it....
    after all it is winter sport....

Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    i find it funny that every one is on here swearing their heads off....
    cant change it now..
    but the frustrating thing about all of this is that there is a ground that our firsts could play the entire round at just like we did last year by transferring the games out here to monarch....... and as people are saying that if round is not caught up throws the whole fixture into caos with st george and east coast only playing each other once......
    this is where common sense comes into it....
    after all it is winter sport....
    Good to see rooster that you are thinking of your self again. So what, all first grade games can be accommodated at Monarch. Well done to C/Town Council. Perhaps the other councils should go and see what they are doing to keep their ground up to speed. What about all the other players ie reserve graders under 18's etc, should they be penalised because you want to play all first grade games this weekend so as not to interupt your bye weekend. I'm sure there are players running around in the two & 18's who have as much passion and commitment as you and want to play as well. With rain forcast all this week I guess I will have no need to look up what game I'll watch next week as they will be cancelled as well.
    Last edited by No Idea; 16th June 2007 at 04:33 PM.