Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 06 Grand Final and our 07 first half disasters

The 06 Grand Final and our 07 first half disasters

I have been stewing over this for a while now.

How much of our disasterous first half of the 06 grand final and the numerous 1st half shockers in season 07 relate?

The games where we have had ordinary first halves are:

V West Coast
    V Brisbane (not to the same extent)
    V Kangaroos
    V Essendon
    V Collingwood
    V Geelong

Also interesting to note that in this season both Jude Bolton and Barry Hall who had shockers in the GF particularly in front of the big sticks have both struggled for form in the first half of the season.

Is there a connection or is it coincidence?
    Your thoughts?
    Swannies for life!

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Easy.

We're missing the stability BLT gives us in defence when he's fit.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Marry me Goodes View Post

We're missing the stability BLT gives us in defence when he's fit.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I have been stewing over this for a while now.

How much of our disasterous first half of the 06 grand final and the numerous 1st half shockers in season 07 relate?

The games where we have had ordinary first halves are:

V West Coast
    V Brisbane (not to the same extent)
    V Kangaroos
    V Essendon
    V Collingwood
    V Geelong

Also interesting to note that in this season both Jude Bolton and Barry Hall who had shockers in the GF particularly in front of the big sticks have both struggled for form in the first half of the season.

Is there a connection or is it coincidence?
    Your thoughts?

I am starting to think your analysis has some cred. A non-Swans person said to me only 48 hours ago that Barry Hall has not recovered from the 2006 GF.

Barry has had a handful of good games since then but there are many games that he looks like he's still re-living the nightmare. He's spooked by Glass' effort on him.

Jude, the same. Jude has only just found the confidence to be himself once again. He has gone to the depths of his capabilitities, he has seen how average he can perform and now the team is bleeding, he is willing himself back to the place he belongs.

The sub-plot to this season is now more fascinating than the main event. The individual stories and the twists and turns that some men must take to find their true commitment. Sydney won't be the Cinderella story of 2007 but they might be a little bit of a Bob Altman film, lots of individual characters crossing paths with others creating their own history.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I've been stewing over this for most of the season! You lose a grand final by a point- it has to be the most shattering feeling possible in footy. The work put in to get to that position- it's awful to even think about.

As for the psychological impact, every player and team will respond differently to it, maybe the Swans are more vulnerable since we have always been a confidence team, and, with a playing style and ethos built around having faith in each other, well, their confidence in themselves and in the group must have been shot after that game. Maybe this year will be good for us- I think we'll see some sort of revival over the next 7 rounds as they start to rediscover that confidence, though we're probably not going to win the flag now. But who knows, maybe next year we just might be more successful than most would have predicted.

On the Rookie List
    Sorry PC prob

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I've been stewing over this for most of the season! You lose a grand final by a point- it has to be the most shattering feeling possible in footy. The work put in to get to that position- it's awful to even think about.

As for the psychological impact, every player and team will respond differently to it, maybe the Swans are more vulnerable since we have always been a confidence team, and, with a playing style and ethos built around having faith in each other, well, their confidence in themselves and in the group must have been shot after that game. Maybe this year will be good for us- I think we'll see some sort of revival over the next 7 rounds as they start to rediscover that confidence, though we're probably not going to win the flag now. But who knows, maybe next year we just might be more successful than most would have predicted.
    YOU MAKE SOME REASONABLE POINTS,BUT REMEMBER THAT WET TOAST RECOVERED FROM A SMALL MARGIN G/F LOSS.....WHY CAN'T WE?

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    YOU MAKE SOME REASONABLE POINTS,BUT REMEMBER THAT WET TOAST RECOVERED FROM A SMALL MARGIN G/F LOSS.....WHY CAN'T WE?
    They were doped up to the eyeballs though.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

On the Rookie List
    We lost the 06 Gran, WCE got beaten in the 05 Gran. Plus Swans are so into the mental thing that there were bound to be some cerebral casualties who had poor games that day!

Veteran Site Admin
    I was talking about this very subject at half-time on Sunday with various people who sit near me at the SCG. We all agreed that they need to damn well get it out of their system and sit down as a team and watch the game - something I doubt any of them have done.

Not from the point of view of analysing individual performances or cringing over those half-dozen first half clangers but from the point of view of realising that they collectively played their worst first half of the season against a team that most say have the most talented-laden list AND STILL ONLY LOST BY A POINT.

I don't think even they realise how potent - as a team - they are when they all want to be.

I remember James Hird saying that after Essendon won the grand final in 2000 and then lost it in 2001 they found it exceedingly hard to back up after a loss (after they previously won it...work that out!). He said mentally after feeling the euphoria of a win first and then a loss it made it all that much harder.

For WC to lose first in 05 gave them added incentive to strive harder the following year.
    Swannies for life!

I'd let them think about it in the ressies. Canberra's lovely in the winter.

We had a premiership hangover in 06 but no evidence for that from wet toast this year. It is now the AFL and not suburban footy. Time for excuses to stop.
    The hard fact of it is that the Swans aren't as good as they think they are and other teams have either caught up or passed them in performance.

Excellent weather for stew too.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast